Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SanQuentinvisitor said:
:rolleyes: I know........it really just blows my mind that some idiot actually thought by changing it up a bit (not using water as a disposal site)........he looked less obvious. And just when he thought they weren't going to find her, he decided to move things along and point 'his' group in the right direction............:doh:

But this is Canada so he'll be looking at 5 years in a cushy resort for offing his wife and unborn child.......... (no offense to Canada):blowkiss:
The maximum penalties for murder are:

• first degree murder - mandatory life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for 25 years (can be paroled under the "faint hope clause" after 15 years imprisonment, but such a reduction is rarely given and is not available for multiple murders)
  • second degree murder - mandatory life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for 10-25 years (parole eligibility determined by the judge at sentencing) (exception: if the person had committed another murder in their past, parole eligibility is 25 years)
  • manslaughter - maximum life imprisonment
  • infanticide - maximum 5 years imprisonment
  • There is a clause where persons convicted of multiple murder, and deemed unable for rehabilitation, to be declared a 'dangerous offender' upon examination of doctors and psychiatrists (usually for sexually related murder). Persons declared as dangerous offenders have an undetermined prison sentence, although it usually means an increase of 10 years (possibly to 35 or more years).
.......i disagree with you on that one.........although we don't have SQ...or the DP.....we don't sentence our convicted murderers to 5 years at a "cushy resort"...

sugar said:
It is supposed to be innocent until proven guilty and I cannot form an opinion until I hear the evidence. Yes I think Scott Peterson is innocent but I never thought Mark Hacking was although I reserved my opinion until I had proof.

I hope you don't feel the same way about child molesters. Too many criminals literally get away with murder because of the slack laws in this country as it is. To me, since I'm not on a jury, getting arrested proves to me that there is guilt. Let the arrested person prove themself innocent. It's not like they will be promptly locked up or put to death for even first degree murder.

txsvicki said:
I hope you don't feel the same way about child molesters. Too many criminals literally get away with murder because of the slack laws in this country as it is. To me, since I'm not on a jury, getting arrested proves to me that there is guilt. Let the arrested person prove themself innocent. It's not like they will be promptly locked up or put to death for even first degree murder.
........although.......since this began talking about sp...........i'm 110% convinced of his guilt.........may he rot in SQ...

...to me, 'getting arrested' doesn't prove guilt in the least.........it only means that LE has some cause for arrest/further questioning.............personally i'm thankful that we've evolved to a day where it's "innocent until proven guilty"............if all persons arested had to prove themselves innocent............i cannot imagine......

...is michael white guilty? from what we've heard..........looks like it........

...is everyone who has ever been arrested guilty ? i personally doubt it.........just looking at the number of convicted people who have been released based on new dna evidence...

...LE are just people as we are...........they're right...they're wrong...the way i see it, it has to be innocent until there's absolute proof...

Bobbisangel said:
I'm still confused about his truck .... I didn't get the idea that he left his truck at the scene when he dumped her body....
I think you are right about that bobbisangel. Though it's hard to know for certain how accurate the news postings are, here's one from yesterday (Tuesday's) Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050719.wxmissing19/BNStory/National/

that states "There are outstanding liens on their two vehicles, a 1991 Chevrolet GMT-400 and the 1991 Ford Explorer."

If this is accurate I don't believe they had more than one vehicle each. Otherwise I think it would have said "... on two of their vehicles".

Mabel said:
Perhaps this will help Scott's fans to see the truth. Men do kill their pregnant wives, and for very little reason.

Nah.........
hi mabel- for sure- I am so unsympathetic to those who dont see them as guilty even after convicted.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1121771077940_2/?hub=TopStories

Detective Michael Campeau told a Tuesday afternoon news conference that the body was decomposing, thus there is a delay in determining cause of death. But he said there were signs on her body of a violent struggle before she died.
Earlier Tuesday, Michael White appeared in court and reserved plea on charges of second-degree murder and committing an indignity to a dead body.

The second charge was laid, Campeau said, because the body was "found in a rural area, disposed of improperly."

I am proud to be a Canadian and for the most part I am proud of our justice system. It works most of the time and laws cannot be written for extremes alone. The only way anyone is safe from persecution is if we all start out with the same freedoms.

I love my American cousins but I am proud we maintain our distinct cultural differences. I remain loyal to my country and government even in the bad times, not just when everything works smoothly. I choose to put my Country and its values first. If the rest of the world doesnt like it, I dont apologise for canada.

Every country has its own ways of being in the global world. We are doing something right because we continue to win top honors as a country to live in. We are warmly welcomed almost everywhere, (less so in the USA since the war in Iraq-which I am proud we stayed out of). I am no less patriotic than anyone else in the world and I will never put my country down for being the civilized Nation it is.

Everyone has a chance here and sadly there is a dark side to all democratic justice systems. I agree to tighten the laws on murderers, sex offenders, and all evil, but I know we need to do that by pulling together not putting our country down for the fallout effect of its Civility.

Over the past few years, I have come to appreciate Canada even more than I already did. If I ever happen to be killed because of our freedoms, I will know that I was unlucky and killed not because of our Civiility, but in spite of it.

I dont want to be a country that makes its laws based on what any other nation is doing. I want our laws made for us and I will stand by my Country when things dont work out the best way in a particular situation.

Everyday I pinch myself to be sure I am not just dreaming that I live in Canada.

sugar said:
It is supposed to be innocent until proven guilty and I cannot form an opinion until I hear the evidence. Yes I think Scott Peterson is innocent but I never thought Mark Hacking was although I reserved my opinion until I had proof.

Humpf!!! :waitasec: Would someone explain to me who this Scott Peterson guy is that everyone is talking about???? :waitasec:

poco said:
Humpf!!! :waitasec: Would someone explain to me who this Scott Peterson guy is that everyone is talking about???? :waitasec:

:eek: He's the cad who gave Cassie the instructions on how to kidnap your Cat!" :innocent:

Gabby said:
:eek: He's the cad who gave Cassie the instructions on how to kidnap your Cat!" :innocent:
Truth be told... her cat ran away and asked that I stage the kidnapping :D

Casshew said:

:silenced:

shhhhhhhhh let's blame it on Scott and give him something else to deny deny deny...and it will be the TRUTH this time

:silenced: :silenced: :silenced:

Casshew said:

Cass, next time he "runs away," head him down here to me...I'M CAT-LESS!

I can take him SURFING......
surferkitty.gif
He can even have some friends in to "catnap" with him.
96et8p.jpg

Here is the latest and time line,

I did not have time to read every post, hope I am not repeating anything.

EDMONTON (CP) - Liana White's body was too decomposed for the medical examiner to determine how she died, Edmonton police said Tuesday.

The partially clothed body of the pregnant 29-year-old hospital clerk was found in a ditch by a farmer's field Sunday, five days after she was reported missing. Her husband Michael White has been charged with second-degree murder. White is also charged with committing an indignity to a dead body.

"It was in a state of decomposition hence the undetermined cause of death," Det. Michael Campeau announced at a news conference.

He wouldn't comment on whether White was stabbed or strangled but did say, "There are signs on the body she was involved in a struggle."

When asked about a motive, the veteran detective would only say, "We are still working on that. There are still many leads to follow up on."

The comments came only hours after an exhausted-looking Michael White made his first court appearance where he reserved plea on the charges against him.

White closed his eyes and winced as the charges were read out.

Outside court, his lawyer, Larry Anderson, was tight-lipped.

"We are anxious to answer these allegations," said Anderson, a former president of the Law Society of Alberta.

"The matter has simply been put over for a few weeks so they can find a prosecutor and then we can get enough information so we can begin formulating our defence."

White showed little emotion as he scanned the courtroom while the charges were read. His next court appearance is July 26.

Campeau said the families of both Michael and Liana have been devastated by the developments. Their daughter, Ashley, 3, was believed to be in the custody of Liana's mother, he said.

"It's not a victory for the police service. It's just a tragic day for two families. We're not here to celebrate anything. Unfortunately it's a tragedy for both sets of families. Liana's mom is not doing well at all."

Campeau said he felt especially sorry for little Ashley.

"I do. She's lost both her mom and dad."

Liana White's Ford Explorer was found abandoned just blocks from her home with her purse, shoes and cellphone scattered nearby.

Nothing appeared to have been taken, nor were there any signs of a struggle.

After days of fruitless searching by police, the body was discovered by a crew of volunteers, including White.

Earlier that day he said his nights since Liana's disappearance alternated between nightmares and sleeplessness.

"If they're thinking it was the husband, forget the husband. Let's find my wife," he told a reporter, adding that he feared the worst.

"I want people to know she was an outstanding person who contributed to the community," he said. "There's no reason why this should have happened."

Neighbours and co-workers of the Whites were in shock, describing the couple as normal people who held barbecues, worked on fixing up their house and helped out their friends.

The manager of the truck repair shop where White worked for almost three years said he just can't believe his friend and colleague had been charged with murder.

Some of the other employees at the shop helped White search for his wife.

"We're all in shock and awe. I wouldn't have seen it coming for a million years," said Rob Hansen, who added he had spent time socially with the couple.

"We all thought he was a very solid person, which makes us very distraught. She was always smiling and happy. This has hit everybody like a ton of bricks."

Another colleague, Aaron Coulter, said he still can't believe his friend is in jail charged with murder.

He remembered White occasionally bringing his wife around the truck repair shop.

"We never would have expected anything from him like this. He was an 'everybody's best friend' kind of guy. He would do anything for you. Stick around late to help you," Coulter said.

"They always got along great as far as I could see. He was a good family man."

Michael and Liana White met at a nightclub in 1998, not long after she moved to Edmonton from Kelowna, B.C., and while he was still working in the Canadian military.

They had a small wedding in 2000, and a year later, welcomed a daughter. The couple sometimes spoke of returning to his hometown of Mar, Ont.

Published reports say the couple were heavily in debt, with liens on two vehicles and a $166,000 mortgage on a $170,000 house. Campeau wouldn't comment on the couple's finances, saying it was part of the continuing investigation.

The fact that Liana was four months pregnant has prompted chilling comparisons to Scott Peterson, a California man convicted of killing his wife, Laci, and their unborn child.

Campeau said police could charge White only in the mother's death.

"Unfortunately, in Canada you can't charge a person with the death of an unborn baby," he said.

The charge of committing an indignity to a dead body was laid because White's body was disposed of improperly.

Events leading to the arrest of Michael White, charged with second-degree murder in the death of his wife, Liana:

July 12 - Just before 7:30 a.m., a passerby reports to police that Liana White's brown 1991 Ford Explorer is in a north-side parking lot near her home. The driver's-side door is open and her belongings are strewn nearby, but there is no sign of a struggle. Her wallet is missing. Michael White says he last saw Liana at 6:15 a.m., when she left for work, dressed in her green medical scrubs, to her hospital clerking job. Police search the surrounding area with no luck. After Liana White's disappearance is publicized, two witnesses come forward to say they saw the SUV in the parking lot before 6:15 a.m.

July 13 - Michael White, in a TV interview, makes a tearful public appeal: "If whoever has her, or if she is out there and you see me, just stay there and we will find you. I will find you."

July 14 - Police continue the search, but say they do not have evidence a crime has been committed. White tells reporters he is frustrated and plans to start searching for her himself. "My sorrow has now become anger," he says.

July 15 - Police announce they will broaden their search the following day with search and rescue teams with dogs in the fields and bush north of the Whites' home. White is reinterviewed by police and, along with family and friends, begins his own search.

July 16 - Police search the White home a second time, saying it's routine.

July 17 - Michael White responds to speculation he was involved in Liana's disappearance, telling a reporter: "If they're thinking it was the husband, forget the husband. Let's find my wife." He says he was thrilled when he learned she was pregnant with their second child and says he may have been wrong about the time she left that fateful morning. Around 5 p.m., his search team, looking in a different area from the police search, reports a body in a ditch by a farmer's field on the city's northeast outskirts. Police refuse to release details on the body and seize White's truck.

July 18 - Police charge White with second-degree murder and indignity to a dead body, but still do not officially identify the corpse found by the search team.

July 19 - A week after his wife disappeared, Michael White, shackled and in prison overalls, is haggard and impassive as he formally appears in provincial court to answer the charges. He reserves plea and is remanded in custody until his next appearance on July 26.

source: http://www.630ched.com/news/news.cfm?dir=national&file=n071945A&n=1

Isn't this statement of Mike's revealing...??

I wonder if the couple had a huge argument and he beat up her badly. Maybe that was why the body decomposition was so bad...he beat her to a pulp...might explain why it was so hard to identify her....

Also, he may be revealing in this statement that he "took advantage" of his wife....she was probably the mainstay of the marriage...as he obviously messed up big time in the military....she probably worked REALLY hard to try to get themselves out of their mess and he did not try hard enough or not at all...seems like he is the "couch potato" type to me....IMO

AND the last statement: How eerily similar to SP's "late at night, and early morning" statements....creepy

"My worst fear is that they took advantage of her and maybe still are," he said. "There's (only) so much a body can take and the mind as well."

"These are the nightmares I have every night - if I do sleep."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2005/07/18/1136674-sun.html

joanofarc said:
Isn't this statement of Mike's revealing...??

I wonder if the couple had a huge argument and he beat up her badly. Maybe that was why the body decomposition was so bad...he beat her to a pulp...might explain why it was so hard to identify her....

Humpf, I wonder where the babysitter was while this was all going on???

I think the LE working on the case is doing a fine job. They keep alot of things to themselves including the search of the house and letting him talk to the press. They were right on him.

poco said:
Humpf, I wonder where the babysitter was while this was all going on???
Well if Liana was seen just before midnight and "missing" by the next morning we know that it must have happened sometime after midnight....perhaps the little one was asleep...and he either left her alone while he drove the body 4-5 miles away or he took her along(which I doubt).

Poor, little sweet baby...how sad :( .

With the latest revelations about the White's financial situation, I'm guesstimating that money was behind all this. I'm wondering if he felt overwhelmed by the huge debts they had and the fact that they were expecting child #2. I'm also wondering just how "thrilled" he really was at the prospect of having yet another child to feed and care for. Expenses just kept mounting up. They may have had an argument that night about money and he blew up at her, blaming her for getting pregnant again (although it takes two to tango) and therefore putting them in even more dire financial straits. I think this guy snapped under stress that had been building up for who knows how long. Is this a condonable reason to kill your wife and unborn child? Absolutely not! Bankruptcy and/or credit counseling is always an option as opposed to murder!!!

Just speculating...which is all we can do at this point.

Thanks to all our Canadian friends for keeping us updated on this! It's very much appreciated!

Bobbisangel said:
..........<snip>........... what made Michael think that his financial situation...if that was the problem.... would better itself if Lianna was dead? Did he mean to kill her or did a fight just get way out of hand? Questions questions.

Life insurance maybe, if there is any? Is it common in Canada to have liens on 15 year old vehicles? It's about impossible to get a loan for a car that old in the states, except through very shady dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop