GUILTY Canada - Liana White, 29, Edmonton AB, 12 July 2005 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SewingDeb said:
The last I heard, his bail was revoked (or whatever that is called in Canada), so he is back in jail.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Thanks, Deb! That does my heart good!

Daisy said:
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Thanks, Deb! That does my heart good!

Mine too. He should never have been released in the first place.

..posted by Alta 03/15/2006

A city man who helped search for his supposedly abducted pregnant wife and was then charged with killing her was ordered to stand trial for murder yesterday.

In an earlier Court of Appeal of Alberta hearing, which led to White's bail being revoked, evidence was heard that White was spotted by police picking up two garbage bags in a field near where the body was later found.

Inside the bags police found bloody cleaning materials, a broken lamp that matched a lamp found in the White's bedroom, gloves, two bloody sponges and bloody clothing identified by White as belonging to him, court heard. An autopsy revealed White had been stabbed to death.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edm...488836-sun.html

........also check out the rest of the thread, Lianna White /Edmonton---it has all of the latest to date.

Alberta Liberal - Newsclips

Justice & Attorney General

Bail reform advocates may unite: Groups will talk to MP to push for changes to justice system The Edmonton Journal Thu 13 Apr 2006 Page: B3 Section: CityPlus Byline: Chris Purdy and Gordon Kent Dateline: EDMONTON Source: The Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON - People circulating petitions opposing bail for suspects in two homicide cases may join forces to set up a formal group demanding changes to the justice system.

Arnold Saathof and Dena Gallant are to meet with MP Peter Goldring today to discuss plans for the non-profit organization, such as a name and mission statement.

Gallant said they already have the backing of MP John Williams.

"There's a lot of people upset about the accountability shown by the courts," Gallant said Wednesday outside the courthouse.

"We feel the justice system does not show ultimate respect for human life."

She started a petition last fall to have bail revoked for accused wife-killer Michael White, who was eventually ordered held in custody until his trial by the Alberta Court of Appeal.

Saathof's friend Stefan William Conley died after he was attacked on a city bus in March. Four teens charged with manslaughter in his death have been freed on bail.

"Will was my friend and to see these four young men released ... it just gave me such a shot to the chest," said Saathof. "How can that be?"

He went to their court appearance Wednesday armed with an online petition of 10,000 names calling for their bail to be revoked. The Crown's office recently decided it had no grounds to appeal the bail decision.

The teens are next set to appear in court May 26, with a preliminary hearing likely to be held in December.

Goldring welcomed the petitions, saying "liberal" judges need to hear that many members of the public feel they're too soft on accused criminals. "It certainly should have an impact, and if judges don't listen, that's where Parliament must act in being more aggressive in writing laws that judges should listen to public concern."

Clippings April 13, 2006 15

Federal Justice Minister Vic Toews supports his position that bail needs to be made harder to get, Goldring said.

"Bail is to return somebody who really, truly is not a threat to society, but I can't see where you would be returning somebody ... who (is accused of having) committed a violent crime," he said. "It's more signalling to the public you're more interested in their social life than protecting society."

Alberta Justice Minister Ron Stevens said this week that while the petitions provide an important voice for the public, the Criminal Code doesn't give them legal standing in the courts.

"The judiciary have to be independent of political considerations."

Greg DelBigio, acting chair of the Canadian Bar Association's criminal justice section, said in his opinion it would be "entirely inappropriate" if judicial rulings were influenced by the mood of the public.

The Vancouver criminal lawyer has never seen a petition similar to the ones circulated in Edmonton, but he doubts they will have any impact.

"Throughout history, certain cases have captured public attention more than others, so what's occurring now is nothing new."

Besides bail issues and pushing for a new remand centre in Edmonton, Gallant said she wants killing a fetus made a criminal offence.

White's wife, Liana, was four months pregnant with the couple's second child when her body was found in a ditch last July. White is charged with the second-degree murder of his wife, but not her unborn baby.

cpurdy@thejournal.canwest.com

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

Was Dena Gallant Effective In Raising Issues with Alberta Government? Appears So!

Alberta Legislature - Legislative Assembly of Alberta
April 13, 2006 Alberta Hansard 929

Title: Thursday, April 13, 2006 1: 30 p.

Criminal Sentencing Guidelines 2:40 p
Mr. Lukaszuk: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. Our justice system is based on fundamental principles of law: fairness, presumption of innocence, and independence of the judiciary from any political interference. These principles have withstood the test of time. However, there is yet another principle which at this time appears to be questioned; that is, public confidence in the justice system. As you may recall, some two months ago residents of Edmonton reacted to a highly publicized criminal case by gathering some 5,000 signatures on a petition requesting a thorough review of the sentencing guidelines and rules for parole order dispensation. Again last week residents of Edmonton presented this Assembly with some 20,000 signatures petitioning and requesting the same.
Mr. Speaker, even though individual cases ought not be affected or decided based on petitions or lobby efforts, it is evident that our constituents demand that our justice system undergo a thorough examination. As one constituent pointed out to me, the system ought to be a justice system and not a legal system. Having said this, I urge our Justice minister to continue to collaborate with his provincial, territorial, and federal counterparts in his effort to review parole guidelines and sentencing trends. As elected politicians we must seriously consider entrenching minimum sentences in laws passed in this Assembly and in Ottawa.
Thank you.

Space in Remand Centres
Dr. B. Miller: Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

In Alberta judges are being forced to reduce times served by offenders by giving 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 credit for detention in the remand centres.
Recent judgments have listed the deplorable conditions of the remand centres; for example, overcrowding and double-bunking, violation of religious freedoms, excessive force applied in relation to strip searches, and on and on and on. All of this evidence has been presented in our courts. My question is to the Solicitor General and Minister of Public Security. Can the minister tell us if he’s prepared to accept this evidence as factual and valid, and what is he going to do about it?

The Deputy Speaker: The hon. minister.

Mr. Cenaiko: Thank you very much, Mr. Speaker. Well, the decisions that judges make are those decisions that the public or legislators don’t have an opportunity to question. The issue that the hon. member is discussing regarding the space at the Edmonton Remand Centre is one that is the top priority in our ministry right now, but when we’re dealing with all of Alberta, we’re talking about remand populations throughout Alberta. In the Edmonton area we are moving them to the Fort Saskatchewan correctional facility. We’re utilizing all of our facilities to the maximum amount that we can.
As I mentioned, the ERC (Edmonton Remandf Centre) is the number one priority for our capital planning for the future. Mr. Speaker, you should know, though, that the remand populations 20 years ago were 30 per cent compared to 70 per cent for corrections; 10 years ago it was at about 50- 50. Atthis point of time, right now, we’re at the opposite end of the scale right across Canada, where 70 per cent of offenders are in remand and only 30 per cent are in corrections.

Dr. B. Miller: Mr. Speaker, my second question is to the same minister. Will the Minister of Public Security tell us if he thinks that giving drug dealers easy sentences because of the conditions in remand centres, which is standard practice, as the Minister of Justice suggested yesterday, is protecting the safety of the public?

The Deputy Speaker: The hon. minister.

Mr. Cenaiko: Well, thank you, Mr. Speaker. I made a decision to work on this side of the law in my previous career as a police officer and not as a lawyer and work my way towards the bench, so my point of view and my personal thoughts regarding sentencing drug traffickers may differ from that of a judge or from a defence lawyer. So that’s a difficult question for me to answer, but I can tell you what I would do with drug traffickers.
Dr. B. Miller: My last supplemental is for the Minister of Finance. Will this government finally get tough on crime and provide the funds for a new remand centre in Edmonton and an extension to the remand centre in Calgary?

Mrs. McClellan: Well, Mr. Speaker, the Solicitor General very properly has brought this forward to capital planning, and I’m sure that our associate minister responsible for capital planning will be working with the Solicitor General to ensure that it’s included in our overall capital plan.
I would remind the hon. member that we spend triple in capital of any province in Canada, whether it’s spent in our hospitals or our schools or our advanced education institutions or on our roads. So, Mr. Speaker, I don’t apologize for our capital plan but do recognize that when you have a vibrant province like we do, when you have economic growth that’s projected as ours is with no end in sight to that, it is important that we ensure that we have adequate capital. One of the challenges, Mr. Speaker, was brought up by one of the hon. members earlier, and that is simply a workforce to accommodate that capital as well.

ANYONE EVER QUESTION IF ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE??? JUST READ THE ABOVE WOMAN'S SUCCESSFUL MISSION.

THANK YOU DENA, GOD BLESS YOU

TAKE A BOW

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::clap: :clap: :clap::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yahoo! It's Happening....

A Private Members Bill Submitted on June 6, 2006 by MP Leon Benoit.

BILL C-291

Text of Bill C-291

Bill C-291 amends the Criminal code as follows:

Injuring or killing an unborn child while committing an offence

238.1 (1) Every one who injures or causes the death of a child before or during its birth while committing or attempting to commit an offence against the mother who is pregnant with the child is guilty of the offence of which the person would have been guilty had the injury or death occurred to the mother, and is liable for the punishment prescribed for that offence.

There is much more to this Bill.....

For More Info See: http://www.leonbenoit.com/recent.html

PS. Leon Benoit lives in Vegreville a couple hours from Edmonton.

Comments: Email: denagallant@shaw.ca

GALLANT SPEAKS OUT!!!!!
Archaic LawsGoverning the Personhood of an Unborn Child

One thing keeps haunting people, that Liana was a victim of "homicidal violence" and marks on her body indicated she had been involved in a struggle before she died. Poor women she was fighting not only for her own life but the life of her unborn child.

Human Life Accounts for Something! It is an absolute disgrace that those who commit such crimes are not charged. How Could This Be That there is No Penalty for such Crimes against Humanity. How Could this Be?

Canada needs to change its laws to reflect the ultimate value, respect of human life of an unborn (victim of violence) child who was murdered just as the U.S.A. has done.

Research indicates the history of this outdated Canadian law not to treat an unborn child as human…

"Of infants killed ye are to distinguish whether they be killed in their mothers womb or after their births; in the first case it is not adjudged murder; for that none can judge whether it be a child before it be seen."

These archaic words, written by Andrew Horne in the early 1300's in his treatise The Mirror of Justices, were lent an unlikely resonance by a majority decision of the Supreme Court of Canada last year in a court case.

The ancient quote by Andrew Horne represents the earliest expression of the "born alive" rule, the common law authority governing the law on homicide of the unborn child; it was a conservative reflection of the state of medical ignorance at the time. So little was known about pregnancy, and pre-natal life in the womb, that an evidentiary rule was required; a child had to be observed to be born before one could deduce the presence of a new human being.

Incredibly over the last 600 years the law has changed little.
Despite an explosion of medical knowledge about human life in the womb over the last three decades, the 'born alive" rule still dominates the Canadian legal definition of personhood. This ongoing reluctance of Canadian law to grasp the manifest continuity of an individual's human life before and after birth limits our justice system from creating rational, compassionate judgments regarding prenatal humans.

Meanwhile, Conservative Justice Critic Vic Toews said (prior to the Election that) he wouldn't be opposed to extending more legal protection to pregnant women.

"It's clear expectant mothers are a vulnerable group of people and deserving of additional protection," he said.

At the very least, Toews said a pregnant victim should be considered an aggravating factor in homicides and assaults.

</a>http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2005/07/26/1147888-sun.html

For Further Information See:
http://groups.msn.com/MurderCase-JusticeforLiannaWhite

Dena Gallant - This is wonderful news .Congratulaions on winning this struggle .
I cant imagine how hard it has been for you and your family .
God Bless You
:dance: :clap:

Will that fat slug of a husband be charged with 2 murders now or is it to late for that? Anyone know when he goes to trial?

Jury selection starts in White trial (12:55 p.m.)
Will decide if potential jurors affected by publicity
Chris Purdy, edmontonjournal.com
Published: Monday, October 30, 2006

Jury selection has started for the murder trial of accused wife killer Michael White.

White, 28, charged with killing his pregnant wife and hiding her body, sat pale-faced in a suit and tie next to his pair of defence lawyers at the start of jury selection this morning. The courtroom was packed with a pool of 215 potential jurors.

Justice Mary Moreau of Court of Queen's Bench told the prospective jurors they will be questioned over two days to determine if they have been affected by media publicity surrounding the sensation case.
Michael White, shown here in October 2005 returning home after being released from the Edmonton Remand Centre. His bail has since been revoked. His murder trial in the death of his pregnant wife begins this week.View Larger Image View Larger Image
Michael White, shown here in October 2005 returning home after being released from the Edmonton Remand Centre. His bail has since been revoked. His murder trial in the death of his pregnant wife begins this week.
Ian Jackson/Edmonton Journal
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

The month-long trial will start Thursday.

White is charged with the second-degree murder of his pregnant wife, Liana, as well as offering an indignity to her dead body.

Liana was four months pregnant with the couple's second child when she was reported missing in July 2005. Her vehicle was found abandoned in a north-side parking lot, not far from the couple's Castle Downs home.

Her body was found less than a week later in a ditch beside a country road north of the city.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=c52ba999-d94e-424e-ba4d-c9ec4cde5eef&k=0

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/local/story.html?id=2aa83a3c-6297-49ac-90d7-e36772704de7&k=0

White trial to proceed with new lawyer (4:10 p.m.)

Former lawyer Larry Anderson appointed provincial court judge

edmontonjournal.com

Published: Wednesday, October 25, 2006
The murder trial of suspected wife-killer Michael White is still set to begin next week, even though his high-profiled defence lawyer has been appointed a judge.

White, 28, is charged with the second-degree murder of his pregnant wife, Liana, as well as offering an indignity to her dead body.

Liana was four months pregnant with the couple's second child when she was reported missing in July 2005. Her vehicle was found abandoned in a north-side parking lot, not far from the couple's Castle Downs home.

White was part of a search team that found her body, less than a week later, in a ditch beside a country road north of the city.

..more at link.
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/local/story.html?id=2aa83a3c-6297-49ac-90d7-e36772704de7&k=0

Regarding Bill C-291 - Private Members Bill was not declared because it was in violation of The Charter of Rights and Freedom.

Remember no law or Bill can pass if it in conflict with the Charter of Rights and Freedom. An "invitro" baby is not considered a person in need of protection in accordance with Section 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The baby would have to "be able to live apart from the Mother" to be considered a person. The pro life, anti abortion agenda is pretty transparent here. Extremely transparent.

There is no way, considering that Harper et al, is a minority that this would ever have a chance of passing even if it was declared constutional.

It would make abortion after 20 weeks of gestation(when a baby again cannot survive outside of a mothers womb) a criminal offence. Women would be "put in jail and convicted" if this Bill passed.

Sorry to disapoint you, but.........Private Members Bill seldom get declared into law, even at a Provincial Level, let alone at the Federal Level, especially when in essence it "changes" the existing Criminal Code. Especially when the sitting government is in a minority position.

But it was a "nice" try.......the pro lifers, anti abortion "people" do get pretty creative at times and use two women who were victimized to push their agenda.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061102/white_trial_061002/20061102?hub=Canada

EDMONTON -- Liana White was carrying her unborn child when her husband stabbed her to death, dumped her body in a ditch, then trashed paper towels so sodden that days later they were still wet with blood, a prosecutor told court Thursday.

"At the end of this trial, when you look at all the evidence, you will see a picture of Michael White killing his wife and trying to cover it up," Troy Couillard told jurors on the first day of White's second-degree murder trial.

Couillard delivered to the seven-man, five-woman panel an outline of the evidence he said will prove the guilt of White, a heavy-duty mechanic originally from Mar, Ont.

White's lawyer, Robert Shaigec, acknowledged in his opening address that the case will be difficult for the jury because of its brutality and warned that photos of the dead woman's body "are simply gruesome."

But he told jurors they must steel their nerves and weigh the evidence carefully. For example, he said, White picked up two garbage bags figuring in the prosecution's evidence simply out of a sense of public service.

The case made national headlines in July 2005 when Liana White, originally from Kelowna, B.C., reportedly disappeared while on her way to work one morning.

Her Ford Explorer was found abandoned in a gravel parking lot near the family home in north Edmonton. White pleaded for the public's help. Five days later, the pregnant woman's body was found in a ditch, her remains so decayed that dental records were needed to identify her.

Couillard told Court of Queen's Bench that evidence mounted quickly to implicate White, notably:

* Forensic tests showed Liana White was stabbed twice in the back, had wounds on her fingertips and likely died from a wound near her neck.
* Michael White said his wife left for work at 6:15 that morning, but when witnesses later said they saw the abandoned Explorer in the parking lot at 5:45 a.m., he changed his story to police.
* A security camera located between the home and the parking lot showed the Explorer driving in the direction of the lot but not with Liana White at the wheel. Minutes later it picked up a bald man running the other way. Michael White, said Couillard, was bald at the time.
* Two days after Liana White's disappearance, police followed Michael White as he went to a nearby field, where he picked up two garbage bags, took them home and left them out for garbage collectors. Police picked them up instead and found inside blood-stained clothes, a bloody doorknob cover, the bloody paper towels, latex gloves and a broken lamp that matched another lamp in the White home.
* Blood on the clothes in the garbage bag matched that of Liana White. DNA on the outside of the gloves was hers; DNA on the inside was his. Police found her blood in the couple's bedroom, on their bed and in the back of the Explorer along with signs someone had cleaned it up.

Jess said:
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=75aa4fa0-0001-4978-bfa5-6b3f234a87b8&k=99423&p=2

In afternoon testimony, an Edmonton police officer testified that while he searched the White home after her disappearance, he found traces of blood on the bedroom floor and on a bottle of bleach in the laundry room.

The trial is expected to last a month.

How in the world does this guy expect to get away with her murder? The evidence is overwhelming ... like the video of her vehicle being driven to where it was found and a fat bald guy running in the opposite direction shortly thereafter. What a dumb guy to think that it isn't completely obvious what he did! Putting bloody paper towels in the trash and then putting the trash out for collection (where the police pick it up) - this guy deserves a dumb criminal award.

otto said:
How in the world does this guy expect to get away with her murder? The evidence is overwhelming ... like the video of her vehicle being driven to where it was found and a fat bald guy running in the opposite direction shortly thereafter. What a dumb guy to think that it isn't completely obvious what he did! Putting bloody paper towels in the trash and then putting the trash out for collection (where the police pick it up) - this guy deserves a dumb criminal award.

Quite incredible isn't it ? According to a tv reporter, by the questions the defense was asking a witness ( LE), they might be trying to say that LE didn't look hard enough for the "real" killer, but focused in on White.

Jess said:
Quite incredible isn't it ? According to a tv reporter, by the questions the defense was asking a witness ( LE), they might be trying to say that LE didn't look hard enough for the "real" killer, but focused in on White.

Is their theory going to be that the real killer snuck into the house when he was sleeping, quietly stabbed his wife several times (without waking up the toddler), cleaned up the crime scene, found her keys, moved her vehicle to a public parking lot, moved her body to the middle of no where and then, by telepathy, he was able to locate her body in the middle of no where? The lawyer has been watching too much TV if he thinks anyone is going to buy that.

otto said:
Is their theory going to be that the real killer snuck into the house when he was sleeping, quietly stabbed his wife several times (without waking up the toddler), cleaned up the crime scene, found her keys, moved her vehicle to a public parking lot, moved her body to the middle of no where and then, by telepathy, he was able to locate her body in the middle of no where? The lawyer has been watching too much TV if he thinks anyone is going to buy that.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: >>>>defense team !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back