GUILTY Canada - Liana White, 29, Edmonton AB, 12 July 2005 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you, everyone, for all of the updates. I am really disgusted that he was awarded bail. Grrrrrrr!

An appeal court judge has given the Crown leave to appeal the bail of Michael White. No date has yet been set for the review by a panel of three Appeal Court Judges.

Jess said:
An appeal court judge has given the Crown leave to appeal the bail of Michael White. No date has yet been set for the review by a panel of three Appeal Court Judges.

Thanks for all of the information. Please keep us posted about anything that is happening in this case. I have hunted high and low trying to find Liann's case here. I just went through all of the pages on Located and didn't find her.
I'm glad that I thought to look here. I have been wondering what is happening in this case.

Giving bail to a suspected murderer is just insane. I hope that petition works.

http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2006/01/02/1375992-sun.html

Three murder cases seem to stick out in the mind of homicide Staff Sgt. Brian Lobay more than any others.

While all weighed heavily on the veteran cop, he said the killings of pregnant women Liana White and Olivia Talbot and the shooting death of Sara Easton were disturbing.

"They're all sad, tragic stories," said Lobay.

Liana White, a 29-year-old pregnant mother of a toddler, vanished on her way to work July 12. Her brown Ford Explorer was found abandoned at the edge of a sports field near 157 Avenue and 116 Street.

Cops and volunteers mounted a massive search for her.

White's husband, Michael, led another search for the Royal Alexandra Hospital unit clerk. His search party found Liana's body in a ditch near 142 Street and Poundmaker Road near St. Albert on July 17.

On July 18 homicide detectives charged Michael White with second-degree murder and committing an indignity to a dead body.

The disturbing case captured international attention, with American television cameras making their way north to tell U.S. viewers about the tragic story. The case drew comparisons to the case of Scott and Laci Peterson in California.

Laci Peterson, a 27-year-old substitute teacher, was eight months pregnant when she vanished around Christmas Eve 2002. Scott was eventually convicted of killing her.

Finally my program lets me cut and paste and copy !!

Any updates on this case? Was Michael White's bail revoked?

Also, I'm trying to find the thread for the missing pregnant woman - the one who met with the baby's father after a phone call and then disappeared. Anyone remember her? EDIT: Found it. Amanda Jones. Still missing.

The last I heard the prosecutors are going before the Crown( Court of Queen's Bench) on February 9th to see if they can have Michael White's bail revoked.

I hope that the bail is revoked. It probably won't be though if he has been behaving himself, working, and checking in once a week with LE. No one who is believed to have murdered his wife and baby should be anywhere but behind bars...IMO anyway.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourn...=1d36cd2c-dd3c-447e-a0e0-2663081b7232&k=14932

The Crown is in court today trying to have the bail revoked for accused killer Michael White, charged with killing his pregnant wife and hiding her body.

White, 28, who faces a charge of second-degree murder in the death last summer of his wife Liana, is out on $10,000 bail.

Liana White, 29, was reported missing July 12 when she failed to show up for work. She was four months pregnant at the time.

Her Ford Explorer was found abandoned in a parking lot of a baseball diamond, a 20-minute walk from her Castle Downs home.

Her husband vowed in the the media at the time to find his wife.

He led a search team that discovered her body five days later in a wooded area near the intersection of Township Road 542 and Range Road 251.

The medical examiner determined she died of “homicidal violence.”

Micheal White was later charged with second-degree murder and offering an indignity to a body.

He was released on $10,000 bail in October. Other conditions include staying in his Dunluce neighbourhood home between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.

The prosecution went to court to seek a bail review. Last fall, court agreed to allow the Crown to appeal his bail.

The appeal is being heard today. A decision isn’t expected immediately.

Neighbours have gathered more than 600 signatures on a petition seeking to have his bail revoked. The petition is not expected to have any influence on the court’s decision.

His preliminary hearing is set for March.

As of noon Mountain Time, the prosecutors had presented their arguements and were waiting to hear the defense side. Again there is a publication ban on evidence !!

http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2006/02/10/1435175-sun.html

Accused wife-killer Michael White was in Alberta's highest court yesterday as the Crown argued that he should not have been allowed out on bail.

A court-ordered ban prevents the publication of any of the arguments made during the hearing or any of the alleged evidence tendered.

The three-judge Court of Appeal of Alberta panel indicated a ruling would be given sometime next week.

The appeal court panel also reserved decision on arguments from media lawyers, including one representing the Sun, challenging the publication ban.

White sat quietly in the prisoner's box yesterday, only nodding or shaking his head as lawyers for both sides of the case presented evidence. He teared up at the mention of his slain wife.

Fri, February 10, 2006
Bail argued in White case

By TONY BLAIS, COURT BUREAU

Accused wife-killer Michael White was in Alberta's highest court yesterday as the Crown argued that he should not have been allowed out on bail.

A court-ordered ban prevents the publication of any of the arguments made during the hearing or any of the alleged evidence tendered.

The three-judge Court of Appeal of Alberta panel indicated a ruling would be given sometime next week.

The appeal court panel also reserved decision on arguments from media lawyers, including one representing the Sun, challenging the publication ban.

White sat quietly in the prisoner's box yesterday, only nodding or shaking his head as lawyers for both sides of the case presented evidence. He teared up at the mention of his slain wife.

White, 29, is charged with second-degree murder and offering an indignity to a dead body in connection with the death of Liana White.

The 29-year-old pregnant mother disappeared on July 12.

Five days later, a search party led by Michael White found her body in a ditch outside St. Albert.

The day after the body was found, White was charged.

The heavy-duty mechanic was released from the Edmonton Remand Centre on $10,000 bail in October.

White's release was greeted with community outrage and one Castledowns resident organized a 2,000-plus name petition to have the accused killer's bail revoked.

After the hearing, White hid from the media in various places in the courthouse.

A preliminary hearing to determine if there is enough evidence to warrant a trial is slated for March 1.

Court is to reach a decision by the end of next week on bail and on publication ban,

Thanks for the information and please keep us posted on the outcome of the bail hearing.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

THE APPEALS COURT has just reversed his bail!!!!!!! He turned himself in about 15 minutes ago to the downtown Edmonton police station.

He told a reporter on the phone "I guess I'll just suck it up and wait for my trial to start" when told that his bail had just been revoked.

yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's great news! He should never have been given bail in the first place.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourn...=0d34e1a7-6946-4cb4-825f-72a9dc8fcfcf&k=37135

Neighbours gathered more than 600 signatures on a petition seeking to have his bail revoked. The petition was not expected to have any influence on the court’s decision.

http://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/story/ed-lianawhite20060222.html

Last updated Feb 22 2006 03:25 PM MST
CBC News
A man accused of killing his wife in a case that attracted widespread media attention has been sent back to prison.

Michael White was out on bail but a panel of judges with the Alberta Court of Appeal ruled that it should be revoked.

In their seven-page written decision, the judges also lifted a publication ban on some of the evidence surrounding Edmontonian Liana White's death.

The pregnant mother went missing last July and a massive search was sparked after her SUV was found abandoned in a field close to her house.

Her body was found five days later by her husband who was leading a search party that he'd organized. White has pleaded not guilty and maintains his innocence.

The 28-year-old mechanic spent a few months behind bars but has been out on bail since October 2005. His release sparked an outcry in the community and a petition was organized urging that he be remanded in custody.

In their decision, the Court of Appeal judges stated, "this is one of those rare cases where it is necessary to deny bail in order to maintain public confidence in the justice system."

According to evidence noted by the judges, Liana was stabbed several times but likely died from a knife wound to the neck.

The decision also notes that police seized two large garbage bags allegedly deposited by Michael White at the end of his driveway. The bags contained blood-soaked cleaning materials and sponges and some of the accused's bloody clothes.

Police also say they found blood in the couple's bedroom and in the back of the victim's car.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for March.

If anyone's interested, they're going to discuss Michaels case a bit on 630ched this morning. Probably within the next ? 2 - 3 hours. you can listen online.

www.630ched.com

not sure if this link below will work. If not, go to the site and click "listen live" on the left hand side.

javascript:MM_openBrWindow('/shared/corus_content/corus_player/index.aspx?rem=chedam', 'player_630ched', 'noresize,scrollbars=no,width=730,height=407');

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2006/02/23/1458168-sun.html

White Tells Boss "Sorry".

A downcast Michael White walked into his boss's office yesterday, bowed his head and told him he was going back to jail.

White, the 29-year-old man accused of killing his wife, Liana in July, saw his $10,000-bail revoked by Alberta Court of Appeal yesterday.

"He came this morning and apologized for it and he apologized every time the cops have bothered him down here," said Floyd Kirkendall, operations manager of Loadstar Dispatchers, where White worked as a mechanic. "We've got about 50 employees down here and they all know his history ... In Canada we're all innocent until proven guilty ... The opinion of about 50 employees down here is we're all going to miss him." White turned himself in to police yesterday.

Dena Gallant, a neighbour of White's who organized a 2,300-signature petition over the summer to revoke his bail, was relieved to hear White's back behind bars.

"It was really good news," said Gallant. "We were very happy to find that his bail has been revoked."

She said the community had been through plenty after Liana White went missing and Michael was charged in her death. "It sends out a message that we do not want people who allegedly commit such violent, heinous crimes living amongst us," she said.

..more at link..

Disturbing trail of evidence

Disturbing evidence gathered by police in the murder case against alleged wife killer Michael White can now be revealed.

In evidence before an appeal court panel, police allege the Explorer was recorded on a video security camera at Richard's Pub about 5 a.m. going from the direction of the White home to the playground where it was abandoned. Twelve minutes later the video shows a man, whom police identify as matching White's description, running from the playground area back toward the nearby White home.

When police arrived at the abandoned Explorer, they found the front door open and items strewn about the inside, including the victim's wallet, and a pair of women's shoes neatly lined up outside, court heard.

Cops also noted the placement of the seat and the interior rear view mirror was adjusted to fit a person of White's size, as opposed to his significantly smaller wife.

Two days after the disappearance, police spotted White about 10:30 p.m. in a grassy field between his home and the spot where the body was later found, and saw him pick up two garbage bags and return them to his vehicle.

Cops watched White bring the bags home and later that night saw him put them out for garbage pickup the next morning. They were then seized with a search warrant.

Inside the bags, police found bloody cleaning materials, a broken lamp that matched a lamp found in the Whites' bedroom, gloves, two bloody sponges and bloody clothing identified by White as belonging to him, court heard.

In new evidence presented to the appeal panel, court heard DNA testing of blood found on some of the items in the garbage bags showed it belonged to Liana White. As well, the only DNA found belonged to Liana and Michael.

Blood was also found in various locations in the couple's bedroom and in the back of the Explorer.

Other new evidence included an autopsy report showing Liana White was stabbed to death and she had cuts on her hand consistent with defensive wounds from a struggle. The report noted two stab wounds to the back area and said the exact fatal wound could not be identified due to body decomposition, but was likely in the neck region.

..more at link..

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2006/02/23/1458166-sun.html

...............what a coward-------he stabbed her in the back.....

What a dipsh@t.....I mean he was picking stuff up right there that was evidence and disposing it. I mean he had to know that he was being watched. Don't get me wrong I am glad he was being a dumba@* . I don't see how he could get out of this. I wonder what all the coworkers think after hearing some of the evidence. Yes and I agree he is a complete coward and I hope he rots in jail.

From GlobalTV in Edmonton.

His mother is very upset, "what happened to innocent until proven guilty ?

You think she hadn't heard of any of the evidence that the cops have ? and how many times does it have to be repeated -- only in court is a person innocent until proven guilty.

In the last media interview Mr. White gave before being charged, he told a reporter that he was no Scott Peterson -- the California man convicted in 2004 of killing his pregnant wife, Laci -- and that he had been thrilled to be having another child.

According to court documents, during the original bail hearing, the judge heard that the Crown had gathered a lot of evidence to prove its case against Mr. White, including:

A security camera videotape that showed a man resembling Mr. White "running in the opposite direction" from a parking lot where Ms. White's abandoned vehicle was later found about 1.5 kilometres from the couple's home. The tape also shows the sport utility vehicle being driven toward the place where it was later discovered.

Two garbage bags that were seized from Mr. White's home. He was seen carrying them out of a field (near a ditch where his wife's body was later found) two days after she was reported missing. The bags contained gloves, bloody cleaning supplies, a broken lamp that police believed once belonged in the couple's master bedroom, two sponges and some of Mr. White's bloody clothes.

Evidence of blood in the couple's bedroom and Ms. White's SUV.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060223.WHITE23/TPStory/National

sure...i can understand that everyone is "presumed guilty until proven innocent"............and that his parents would of course stand by their son-----------but----------evidence is evidence.........

ev·i·dence ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (
ebreve.gif
v
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-d
schwa.gif
ns)
n.
  1. A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment: The broken window was evidence that a burglary had taken place. Scientists weigh the evidence for and against a hypothesis.
  2. Something indicative; an outward sign: evidence of grief on a mourner's face.
  3. Law. The documentary or oral statements and the material objects admissible as testimony in a court of law.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060222/bail_white_060222/20060222?hub=Canada
The bail kindled anger from area residents who felt angry and fearful over the case. Hundreds signed a petition to ask the bail be revoked.

"It's really tough to have someone accused of such a heinous crime living in your neighbourhood," petition organizer Dena Gallant said Wednesday.

"If the justice system is starting to listen, that's a good thing."

................a huge thanks to dena gallant for the thousands of signatures on the petition to revoke this slime-balls bail, liana and her baby deserve justice in the courts of alberta.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cases
Back