GUILTY Canada - Liana White, 29, Edmonton AB, 12 July 2005 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Michael White, the Edmonton man accused of killing his pregnant wife Lianna, has been granted bail by Court of Queen's Bench Justice Scott Brooker this morning.

Brooker set bail at $10,000 and imposed several conditions. He said White must look for job, stay in Alberta, and report to police once a week.

He can't have contact with individuals who might become witnesses in the murder case or with his mother-in-law with whom he shares joint custody of Ashley.

Brooker's reasons for granting bail are under a publication ban.

The hearing in March will determine if there is sufficient evidence to send White to trial on charges of second-degree murder and offering an indignity to a dead body.
http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmo....html?id=804bace4-8c0c-4487-869c-ed08a60fb7e7

Thanks Mysteriew ... I was giving up hope on hearing more about the case. Here's the latest which includes reaction from Lianna's mother; as well as from a pastor that has been visiting the accused.

Bail granted to accused killer

CFCN.ca

POSTED AT 5:27 PM Friday, October 7

A man in Edmonton accused of killing his pregnant wife will soon be back on the street.

Michael White will likely be released in a couple of days.

He maintains he is innocent, but his mother inlaw is not convinced. She is scared he is getting out.

Liana White's mother will never forget the loss of her daughter.

"She was a very loving person, a very compassionate person. She was brutally murdered left in a ditch for seven days. It broke my heart, it breaks my heart." said Maureen Kelly.

Now she is facing the reality the man accused of killing Liana will soon be out of prison. A judge granted bail to Liana's husband, Michael White.

"If our justice system thinks that letting out somebody who has this kind of crime or this kind of charge against him and thinks the public is safe and I am safe then I guess that is what I have to accept." said Kelly.

White was charged with second degree murder in July . He helped lead a volunteer search party for his missing wife.

Her remains were found in a ditch outside Edmonton. Liana was four months pregnant. White will likely be released in the next few days.

"Obviously he is pleased with the judge's decision." said White's lawyer, Larry Anderson.

Pastor Robert Scott has been offering spiritual support to white. He is thrilled with the judge's decision.

"I am rejoicing his freedom, I believe he is an innocent man he didn't commit this crime. He does not speak as a guilty man. He is a gentle giant." said Scott.

White's bail has been set at $10,000.

He is not allowed to have any contact with potential witnesses in the case or his mother inlaw, with whom he shares joint custody of his young daughter Ashley.

White must also look for a job and he must stay in Alberta and report to police once a week.

A preliminary hearing is set for March to determine if there is enough evidence to send White to trial.

Just caught the last bit of the evening news.....
Michael White is out on bail!!!! I am shocked.
This is an outrage!!!! What the heck is going on with our justice system?
Must go research this...back soon with more info.

Hey Cass, thanks for directing me. Nice witches ya got there...

What does everyone think of this creep getting released?
I wonder where he will be living? Probably with his parents.
Anyone in the area know where the parents are living?
I am just now picking my chin up off the floor.
I caught just part of the CBC News that stated he would be looking for a job and spending time with his daughter. What was the judge thinking? This blows me out of the water!!!!!

Thanks for the link cosmos.
If I wasn't going to Vancouver this week I would be tempted to go to Edmonton and sit outside the prison (with a heater, of course) and wait for the b*st*rd to come out, then heckle him to hell, perhaps even follow him and maybe even get thrown in jail for harrassment.
I would like to read the judge's reasons for granting the $10,000 bail.
:hand:

RIP Chuck Cadman

Et al said:
Thanks for the link cosmos.
If I wasn't going to Vancouver this week I would be tempted to go to Edmonton and sit outside the prison (with a heater, of course) and wait for the b*st*rd to come out, then heckle him to hell, perhaps even follow him and maybe even get thrown in jail for harrassment.
I would like to read the judge's reasons for granting the $10,000 bail.
:hand:

RIP Chuck Cadman

He was probably released because he is not considered a threat to society and for the time being, he's accused rather than guilty. He probably isn't considered a flight risk either. The decision could have something to do with his daughter and that she is probably not doing well without either of her parents.

cosmos33 said:
I just cant believe this- get with it canada- he killed 2 people and there is no doubt he did it-what an - I hope someone takes him out when he is least expecting it..
what a devaluing of human life to trust this guy out in the world-what disrespect for the wife and unborn child.

I wonder too about the judge's rationale. I agree with 'innocent until proven guilty'. And too, holding someone until March - who may be innocent - basically destroys their chance of ever getting their work and family life back together.

So how do we protect society? The little girl, the mother-in-law? Have a swift hearing ... don't wait until March! Determine if a trial is warranted or if his name can be cleared, and do it now!

I read in one spot - not sure where:

[sorry =( I've read so many different news stories ... all with only slight differences if any ]

a short sentence stating the accused says while he's out he wants to find the real killer so he can clear his name. IMHO he is anything but innocent. However, who knows ... Maybe he was playing the tomcat the night before she disappeared, and never got home until *after* Lianna left for work the next day. It would explain the conflicting stories he gave about not being sure what time Lianna left. :cool:
Cosmos

just saw the news clip........edmonton tv news.........of micheal white being released today.

...back at home in the house he shared with his wife and daughter............."white wants to get a job...........see his daughter...........and.........."will try to find the real killer".

(ummmmmmmmmm..thanx OJ.....good luck with that.)

..there was also a brief interview with a pastor that met with michael in jail............who ( the pastor) claimed, had "inside information" that points to the 'real killer'..........but could not elaborate in fear of jeopardizing the case...

Since he has joint custody of the child with Liana's mother, he's fully entitled to visit with his daughter Ashley. I'm trying to find out through a social worker friend IF THESE VISITS are supervised. IF not, I fear for Ashley's life.... I think Michael would kill himself and Ashley....

Not sure what can be done, but some community rage would be helpful here....

Hope this is of some comfort: From all of the accounts I saw in the newspaper, Michael White will not be able to visit his daughter without first contacting his mother-in-law's lawyer and it will be up to social services and family court to determine if/when/under what conditions he may visit the daughter. I agree with you blue clouds; if he's guilty it would be extremely likely that the murder-suicide thing would happen. :slap:

..if he's gulity........( and personally i believe he is.....i mean really, who else came up with a field to seach OUTSIDE of LE search parameters, and voila' there she was.......?)-----------then i could easily envision a suicide on his part-----------but i don't think he would harm the child.

..his anger/rage was targetted at liana , for whatever reason, i don't believe he would hurt ashley at all.

On the local news ( and I can't remember what day ) neighbours have started a petition to get him out of their neighbourhood. I don't think they have a hope of doing anything, but it was a way for them to voice their opinions and send him a message. They had a fair number of signatures.

Jess said:
On the local news ( and I can't remember what day ) neighbours have started a petition to get him out of their neighbourhood. I don't think they have a hope of doing anything, but it was a way for them to voice their opinions and send him a message. They had a fair number of signatures.

There's more than 2000 signatures.... God I hope he gets his butt back in jail.... I cannot fathom the thought of him having access to his little girl.

"More than 2,000 people have signed their names to a petition to have accused wife killer Michael White's bail revoked.

Castledowns resident Dena Gallant is giving the petition to Edmonton-Castle Downs MLA Thomas Lukaszuk today.

"We knew the Crown was appealing (the bail) and we wanted to support that appeal," she said.

The petition calls on Lukaszuk and Alberta Justice Minister Ron Stevens to urge the province to "use any and all means" to revoke White's bail. "

http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2005/10/26/1278834-sun.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Psycho
Back