GUILTY Canada - Loretta Saunders, 26, Halifax, NS, 13 February 2014 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see that footage. Yes, it's weird to me. I want to know if she was in an underground parking or left through the front entrance to her car parked above ground.

Not sure there is underground parking in that building - believe it to all be outside parking. Something to check out for sure if there is underground parking or not.

What was the name of the apartment building do you remember?

41 Cowie Hill Road - Terrace View Apartments:

This high-rise provides residents with an ideal blend of conveniences and spectacular views of the Halifax Peninsula . Terrace View Apartments is a well-maintained residence providing the ultimate comfortable living experience for you and your pet(s). Enjoy meeting other residents in our beautiful social room and participate in organized events.

Laundry facilities on site
1 and 2 bedroom suites
Controlled-access lobby
Elevator
Monitored security cameras
Parking Available
Payment options: Pre-authorized/debit/online banking/cheque/money order
Professional building management on site
Social space: Party Room
Storage lockers available

http://apartments.timbercreekrentals.ca/Halifax/apartment_rentals/41-Cowie-Hill-Road/a73e92/en

Why didn't Loretta's bf go with her to get her rent money? Was he busy?

Hi everyone i'm new here too - I have been lurking for a while and this whole thread is super helpful in keeping up with facts!

I just wanted to clear up (because I keep seeing posts about this on this thread) that Loretta was definitely not addicted to meth - she was on a methadone treatment to help overcome a different drug addiction. That drug is unknown to me, but most likely no where near as severe as meth. I do know that Methadone is usually used to calm withdrawals from opioid addictions. Loretta's sister's Facebook page did state that Loretta was on a methadone treatment, however, this page is no longer visible to the public which is likely why the information got misconstrued here :) I think that it's important to Loretta's character that she not be referred to or known as a meth addict.

Also, I think that if Loretta was murdered by the pair, that her body was not held in the car for very long (or at all). This would have been investigated when the police obtained the car and the pleas for help from the police and family in the media would change from seeking information to requesting search parties to locate her remains. You can usually tell in news articles when the police know something that they are not telling the public. Hopefully, this means they did not murder her - however, if they did, I think it's likely that she was taken somewhere/asked to meet somewhere (alive) and killed on the spot. :(

Another point that doesn`t sit well with me is that the prof. said that Loretta wanted to research three missing or deceased women in NS, but he has expanded that to suggest that she was instead writing about 600 women in Canada (500+ of whom have not been reported missing). It gives me the impression that his agenda is over-shadowing her honour`s thesis proposal.

Was this past week Reading Week at St Mary`s University.

I agree. Not to diminish her work, but its an undergrad honour thesis. There is no way any advisor would suggest tackling all the missing and murdered women in one honour's thesis. I know of some people working on similar topics for their doctorates and they wouldn't cover such an expansive topic.

ETA: yes it was reading week last week.
http://www.smu.ca/academics/academics-important-dates.html

Why didn't Loretta's bf go with her to get her rent money? Was he busy?

I have similar questions. I'm guessing that if she was actually roommates with the two then she wasn't afraid of them, but that's all a bit murky still.

Hi everyone i'm new here too - I have been lurking for a while and this whole thread is super helpful in keeping up with facts!

I just wanted to clear up (because I keep seeing posts about this on this thread) that Loretta was definitely not addicted to meth - she was on a methadone treatment to help overcome a different drug addiction. That drug is unknown to me, but most likely no where near as severe as meth. I do know that Methadone is usually used to calm withdrawals from opioid addictions. Loretta's sister's Facebook page did state that Loretta was on a methadone treatment, however, this page is no longer visible to the public which is likely why the information got misconstrued here :) I think that it's important to Loretta's character that she not be referred to or known as a meth addict.

Welcome and thanks for the clarification!

Student Loans perhaps? She was studying via Athabasca with online course work.

[modsnip]

Good point! Perhaps she applied to study, applied for student loans, attended for a couple of weeks (long enough to receive the funds) and then partied.

I came across a ML working in Calgary with roots in NS.

Lots of guests viewing the thread! You should all sign up! We could use your insight. We need to bring Loretta home. :)

Newest comment on Victoria Love's wall in response to the article on Loretta...

[modsnip]

I would like to see it but don't find it strange that they have not released it. By not releasing the footage, it tells me that the RCMP have nothing to gain in releasing it. Meaning the footage probably just confirms that she left the building on her own.

Dunno ... maybe they will release it in the coming days.

Well.. I know this isnt the amber kerwin case, however I remember them showing footage of her leaving doolys... it showed what she was last wearing.. it helps with memory actually seeing vs reading. . Thats all I was getting at! Could be nothing. . Driving myself crazy with theories!

Sorry if this has been posted already, but what is the major Halifax newspaper? I've mostly been looking at the cbc website for news.

Not sure there is underground parking in that building - believe it to all be outside parking. Something to check out for sure if there is underground parking or not.

What was the name of the apartment building do you remember?

Google treet view makes it look like it is above ground parking.

The chronicle Herald. . Halifax metro...

Thanks Slynns! Do you happen to know if there is underground parking at 41 Cowie Hill Road? I think earlier in the thread you said you walked by there.

Do you guys really think this couple possibly (hopefully not) murdered Loretta for her car and debit card?

Do you think if they murdered her that they would be dumb enough to continue to just drive her car and try to use her bank card?

Is it just me or is something WAY off here??

Google treet view makes it look like it is above ground parking.

Thanks Slynns! Do you happen to know if there is underground parking at 41 Cowie Hill Road? I think earlier in the thread you said you walked by there.

Im 99 percent sure there is no underground parking. My friend lives there and I know he parks outside.. he has a new car so I know he would be parking underground if possible.... it could be full or something I spose. Nevertheless I will ask him tomorrow if there is or not!

Also, I think that if Loretta was murdered by the pair, that her body was not held in the car for very long (or at all). This would have been investigated when the police obtained the car and the pleas for help from the police and family in the media would change from seeking information to requesting search parties to locate her remains. You can usually tell in news articles when the police know something that they are not telling the public. Hopefully, this means they did not murder her - however, if they did, I think it's likely that she was taken somewhere/asked to meet somewhere (alive) and killed on the spot. :(

Thank you for the methadone correction and explanation. I know nothing about drug addiction and treatment, so I made the wrong connection.

I agree with what you and others have suggested: if they murdered Loretta, they would want to distance themselves from her body as quickly as possible. In fact, they wanted to distance themselves from her apartment so badly that they fled to another province.

It doesn't sound like they could take a body out of their apartment without being seen by the surveillance cameras, and there is apparently footage of Loretta leaving the building.

If she left the building and didn't go home, then where did she go? What does surveillance camera have of her driving away? What direction? Where was the debit card first used? Knowing that would help immensely in terms of narrowing down a search area.

I agree. Not to diminish her work, but its an undergrad honour thesis. There is no way any advisor would suggest tackling all the missing and murdered women in one honour's thesis. I know of some people working on similar topics for their doctorates and they wouldn't cover such an expansive topic.

ETA: yes it was reading week last week.
http://www.smu.ca/academics/academics-important-dates.html

Ten page undergraduate honour's thesis topic proposal sounds a bit like an optional term paper for humanities courses. If all the other grades are in the right range, it can open doors to a master's program. Loretta, according to her sister, wanted to apply to Law School. I'm guessing that the prof she selected to review her paper was going to support her application to Law School ... and Dalhousie University, NS has one of the best law schools in Canada. Loretta had a promising future.

A question posted upthread: why would Loretta sublet her apartment to people she met on kijiji without at least the first month rent and damage deposit, or is there a high vacancy rate and "one month free" deals in Halifax right now? ... Did Loretta check out the subletting couple on the internet or did they have a good reference? Was she in a hurry to sublet, or was she typically cautious? Did the couple con the ambitious sociology, criminology student? That wouldn't bode well for anyone's career, but it is also very unlikely that an ambitious sociology: criminology student aiming for honours would be so careless.

What is the relationship between the boyfriend and the couple? What is the likelihood that Blake, or Victoria, know the visiting student from an earlier time? Victoria seems fairly casual ... did she meet a Turkish boyfriend one night? Is Blake an opiate abuser? Suppose Loretta's boyfriend, a visiting student from Turkey, found himself with a pregnant girlfriend (known addict), he wasn't happy about the situation, and looked for ways to remove her from the picture? I'm not pointing fingers ...

I'm speculating, but this doesn't add up no matter how we look at it. The boyfriend not notifying someone, anyone, that his recently pregnant girlfriend vanished the day before Valentine's Day ... after she left to collect sublet rent ... a month after she moved in with him (his parents are flying in from Turkey as soon as visa possible) ... it doesn't sound right. Loretta vanished for 5 days and he said nothing to anyone? ... and this was his girlfriend of 2.5 years? ... and he's a 3-4 year student at Dalhousie University? I don't care if he's from Pluto, there's no excuse for that; no possible language and sensibility barriers that should arise because he is a visiting student from Turkey ... no wonder his parents are eagerly awaiting travel visas. I'm curious as to whether he's an engineering student.

It doesn't add up. Loretta leaving the apartment and not being seen again also doesn't add up. Suppose she drove away. Why didn't she arrive at home? Where were the car thieves at that time? Who phoned the cab? Who got into the cab, if anyone? Why didn't the boyfriend worry when she didn't show up for dinner ... they'd been together for 2.5 years. She was pregnant and parents wants a healthy pregnancy. That should have been a red flag. The phone call for mother's maiden name should have been the second red flag. He's got two red flags on February 13. Does he look at the methadone treatment pill jars and assumes that his pregnant girlfriend (recent roommate) is getting high and therefore he doesn't want to notify authorities that she didn't show up for dinner? Even five days later, it is her father that notified authorities. When did the boyfriend notify the family, or did he?

Or is this a social experiment, meant to demonstrate that when aboriginal women go missing in Canada, no one cares, and therefore the 500+ number of unnamed missing women (that distrust the RCMP) is real (rather than the 64 verified missing women). As a social experiment, it reveals that all of Canada cares when a University student vanishes, and no one cares where that student was born. If a disappearance is not reported, it's true that RCMP are unable to verify names, that no one will look for the missing person, and still no one cares where that person was born. Of the reported 600 missing aboriginal women, more than 500 have not been reported missing (64 are verified missing, 54 have been reported missing, but not verified).

On behalf of Holly Bartlett, I don't think there will be any imaginings and fitting the evidence to a theory in this missing persons case. Hopefully her case can be re-opened. Perhaps it was ... I didn't read the entire story yet. Clearly this was a murder. If it is still unsolved, it should be assigned again, especially in light of the number of women that are murdered in NS.

Please feel free to PM me with any updates or things that I may have missed!

Free housing and food, necessities in Calgary post flood from June 2013 until Jan 2014, possible student loans without attending class in different provinces (although federal loans should have caught that), welfare from Nova Scotia that allowed her to move for employment or education ... was she a foster child with an understanding of how to play the system, or a child of a single mother that never had what she wanted or felt she deserved? Is Victoria an insecure 28 year old dating younger men and having them do her bidding? Did she fall for a Turkish student and now his recently pregnant girlfriend has vanished?

When police know where the debit card was first used, they know the radius of the body location ... between the last known location (apartment) and debit machine (I'd like to know if the couple updated the PIN online) ... if I was searching, I'd look for a body within a very short distance (proportional to the distance from the apartment to the debit machine) in all directions from the debit card use ... guessing.

Do you guys really think this couple possibly (hopefully not) murdered Loretta for her car and debit card?

Do you think if they murdered her that they would be dumb enough to continue to just drive her car and try to use her bank card?

Is it just me or is something WAY off here??

I think it's a possibility that Victoria and Blake are grifters, looking for kicks and thrills, move to town, take a sublet without paying anything up front, delay paying rent for two weeks, steal the "landlord's" car, get her Bank PIN, clean out her account, leave her in a ditch? She's not heard from again. The "landlord" is an honour student with a promising future in law, yet she gets taken by grafter?

They would have murdered her.
Something is "way off".

The couple had been together for two and a half years, she had met his parents in Turkey, and they were happy about the new pregnancy, but were awaiting medical confirmation. When she vanished the day before Valentine's Day, it didn't concern the boyfriend/visiting student from Turkey for five days, or did he notify family right away? When did he notify his parents? The father reported her missing. This makes sense as it has to be a next of kin, but was it because they were in daily contact and he hadn't heard from her, or was it because the boyfriend phoned the parents? Did the father, after not hearing from his daughter, contact authorities, or did the boyfriend alert the parents to the fact that she was missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste