CANADA - Lucas Fowler, Australian & g/f Chynna Deese, American, murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder. It's really not a region that sees violent robberies, car jackings, home invasions, etc, except when someone has driven way up there trying to outrun the law. This seems awfully cold-blooded, psychopathic.

It seems very odd. If their van was broken and they stopped on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, what are the chances that someone drove by and killed them there on the side of the road? Robbery, sure, but no reason to kill them. They look like the type of hippies who would say go ahead and take what you need, and they would be thankful for their lives and sort it out later.

The Highway of Tears killer was a transient construction worker from the USA who commuted to Northern Alberta and BC for work. Maybe this couple encountered someone like that too.

Sorry for quoting self, but wanted to clarify ... what I meant was that Alberta insurance would explain the Alberta plates on the vehicle.
You need to be a "resident" in the province where you register and insure a vehicle. Some people who work in Alberta but also have a home in BC may be able to claim they're just visiting if they have an accident in BC.

If you give false information about residency, the insurance company will be happy to void your insurance when they investigate a claim. However, some people don't see the potential consequences and do whatever they can to get cheap insurance.

NSW police to help investigate death of Sydney man Lucas Fowler in Canada

The pair met at a hostel in Croatia two years ago, fell in love and on their latest globetrotting escapade packed up an old blue van and set off for a road trip across Canada.

Their bodies were found in a secluded area almost 1,900km, or 21 hours’ drive, north of Vancouver.

Lucas's father is in law enforcement in Australia. He is sending up 2 detectives from New South Wales to work on the investigation. You kill the police chief's son, you get his detectives.

Fowler’s father, Stephen, chief inspector for Sydney’s north-west Hills district, and other family members have flown to Canada “to be with our boy and to bring him home”.

:(:(:(:(

Last edited:
It seems very odd. If their van was broken and they stopped on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, what are the chances that someone drove by and killed them there on the side of the road?

One of the articles cited in this thread (I don't remember which one) said that a person had stopped and asked if they needed help and they said the engine had flooded. Remember this was an old vehicle. For a flooded engine you wait a while and then try starting it again.

One of the articles cited in this thread (I don't remember which one) said that a person had stopped and asked if they needed help and they said the engine had flooded. Remember this was an old vehicle. For a flooded engine you wait a while and then try starting it again.

I wonder if the killer arrived a short while later? The time frame RCMP gave in their request for witness information was 4 pm Sunday, July 14 through 8 am the next day, July 15. I just have a hunch they'll find the killer. There probably aren't that many people driving the that highway.

Just looking at Google Maps, its a very remote area. Very far north in Alberta, though the kids picked the right time of year to make the trip.

Google Maps

Last edited:
I wonder if the killer arrived a short while later? The time frame RCMP gave in their request for witness information was 4 pm Sunday, July 14 through 8 am the next day, July 15. I just have a hunch they'll find the killer. There probably aren't that many people driving the that highway.

Just looking at Google Maps, its a very remote area. Very far north in Alberta, though the kids picked the right time of year to make the trip.

Gray did an interview with the person who stopped to try to help them. She said it was at 330pm on Sunday

NSW police to help investigate death of Sydney man Lucas Fowler in Canada

Lucas's father is in law enforcement in Australia. He is sending up 2 detectives from New South Wales to work on the investigation. You kill the police chief's son, you get his detectives.

:(:(:(:(

In this video, the RCMP police spokeperson made it clear they would not be part of the investigation. It is being conducted by Major Crime Units detectives from Vancouver and elsewhere.

Australian police officers travelling to B.C. to support Fowler family | Watch News Videos Online

In this video, the RCMP police spokeperson made it clear they would not be part of the investigation. It is being conducted by Major Crime Units detectives from Vancouver and elsewhere.

Australian police officers travelling to B.C. to support Fowler family | Watch News Videos Online

Well I hope they all get that sorted out, because the NSW detectives are on their way. I'm sure they'll be very helpful.

As Lucas's brother pointed out in an interview, this killer has a head start. They will probably kill again and may be preying on people who are vacationers or just passing through. JMO, they are somewhat local, extremely dangerous.

There are several options for where the shooter could go. Was it someone passing through, a local, either way - which direction did the shooter go?

upload_2019-7-19_20-10-20.png

‘Brutal’ injuries forces closed casket

The injuries inflicted were so “brutal”, Ms Deese’s heartbroken brother, British Deese, said the family was told an open casket would not be allowed at her funeral.

The pair met at a hostel in Croatia two years ago, fell in love and on their latest globetrotting escapade packed up an old blue van and set off for a road trip across Canada.

Their bodies were found in a secluded area almost 1,900km, or 21 hours’ drive, north of Vancouver.

It appears robbery may have been the motive with the couple’s identification missing.

Mr Deese said investigators eventually found his sister’s passport hidden in the van.

Some media reports raise the prospect of a serial killer linked to the Highway of Tears murders, but the freeway where more than 40 people have been murdered or went missing is located 1,000km south of where Mr Fowler and Mr Deese were killed.

From my understanding the New South Wales officers are there only to gather information and as a courtesy to Lucas's father who is top LE.

There is an ongoing missing backpacker case in Byron Bay, Australia and recently some Belgian police went over to liase with Australian police.

https://7news.com.au/news/crime/fat...ada-opens-up-on-serial-killer-theory-c-356657
"Authorities believe they were murdered after their van broke down on the Alaska Highway, 20 kilometres south of Liard Hot Springs.

The injuries inflicted were so "brutal" Ms Deese's heartbroken brother, British Deese, said the family was told a casket would not be allowed at her funeral."

"At this point, we have nothing to indicate that their deaths are linked to any other active and ongoing investigations in the area, or if there is a heightened risk to public safety," Sgt Shoihet said.

"I don't think it's a serial killer," Ms Deese's father, Dwayne, told the Observer.

"I think of someone who has been convicted of violent crimes before, someone on drugs."

"Something happened on that road, some sort of conflict."

One of the last people to speak to the couple were Canadians Sandra and Curtis Broughton, who were driving past, saw the broken down blue van and stopped to help."

Aust
"One of the last people to see Australian tourist Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese alive says the couple was smiling, relaxed and sitting in arm chairs on the side of a Canadian highway.

"Obviously their van had broken down, but they were still happy and smiling," Curtis Broughton told AAP on Friday.

"They were having lunch or a bit of a meal when we pulled up."

Mr Fowler, 23, from Sydney, and Ms Deese, 24, from North Carolina, were found dead at the site hours later."

hey guys and gals
i don't login that often only when a case triggers an interest or i need more information from the great people here
i read this a lot through our msm in australia and something just doesnt make sense
their car broke down and then wind up shot to death? whats the missing link here
hopefully we find out it reminds me of the case of the australian surfers who were in van in mexico and they were found dead in a burnt out van

‘Brutal’ injuries forces closed casket

The injuries inflicted were so “brutal”, Ms Deese’s heartbroken brother, British Deese, said the family was told an open casket would not be allowed at her funeral.

It appears robbery may have been the motive with the couple’s identification missing.

Mr Deese said investigators eventually found his sister’s passport hidden in the van.

Some media reports raise the prospect of a serial killer linked to the Highway of Tears murders, but the freeway where more than 40 people have been murdered or went missing is located 1,000km south of where Mr Fowler and Mr Deese were killed.

That is very serious. Thank goodness this is in an international investigation. Maybe the FBI should be involved as well. This covers three countries and the person who did this is seriously deranged.

It sounds like there was extreme brutality towards the Chynne. I wonder if this is why it is assumed to be a serial killer - someone who has done this before.

Last edited:
From my understanding the New South Wales officers are there only to gather information and as a courtesy to Lucas's father who is top LE.

There is an ongoing missing backpacker case in Byron Bay, Australia and recently some Belgian police went over to liase with Australian police.

Local investigators always take the lead, but I would expect relevant foreign investigators to collaborate at some level. Sharing forensic and investigative evidence would happen as well, I think. FBI contributes to criminal investigations in Canada.

Yes, that individual was interviewed on the Gray Hughes show linked above in this thread. Her husband was a mechanic and was driving at the time when he spoted the van on the road. They stopped and he was told by Lucas that there was engine trouble and that they were waiting for the issue to clear before they went back on the road.

Gray made the observation in the program that the blue van was situated partially on the road and had not fully exited the road to the shoulder. Gray felt that this location of the van was 'odd' and it could have made passing the van difficult or challenging depending on the size of the vehicle involved.

The couple that stopped said that one of the reasons they stopped was because there wasn't much road traffic and they were concerned that the people in the van were ok. The couple mentioned that road traffic is primarily large trucks. Do we know what possible reasons trucks could be in the area? Is it a mining area, logging operations etc.

The couple that had stopped then left the couple in the blue van and drove on. The reason given for stopping was that is what is done in this area when it looks like somebody might be in distress. The couple in the van didn't look to be in distress and were supposedly sitting on the side of the road having a picnic while they waited for the engine issue to clear (interview referred to flooding in the engine but details were a bit sketchy).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members