CANADA - Lucas Fowler, Australian & g/f Chynna Deese, American, murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the details from the DM article posted above about the other individuals that were found missing or murdered allegedly in the same area which they are referring to as the Highway of Tears:

"Deese and Fowler were travelling in a region that has seen numerous murders and disappearances in recent years, sparking speculation the pair may have been victims of a serial killer".

"Last year alone, three women were murdered or went missing while on 'The Highway of Tears' in upper British Columbia".

"Chantelle Catherine Simpson, 34, was last seen alive in the city of Terrace on July 4 2018, before her abandoned car was found the following day".

"Her body was discovered two weeks later in the Skeena River, and an exact cause of death has not been made public".

"Just weeks later, 18-year-old Jessica Patrick vanished after last being seen at a McDonald's along the highway. Her remains were found down a steep embankment on September 15".

"Meanwhile, 50-year-old Cynthia Martin vanished from the nearby town of Hazelton on December 23".

"Her car was later found, but she has not been seen since".

Maybe, in the UK, daily mailers believe that 2000 km and no relevant timeline between two murders means they are related, but not in Canada. That's 1300 miles between murders. Daily Mail is sensationalizing information.

upload_2019-7-19_22-14-12.png

Lucas Fowler was the adventurous son of one of NSW's most senior police officers. Chynna Deese was a North Carolina college graduate.

The injuries inflicted were so "brutal" Ms Deese's heartbroken brother said the family was told a casket would not be allowed at her funeral.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are leading the hunt for the killer.

"We recognise this news is troubling for the entire community and absolutely appreciate there are concerns for safety in an area that is popular with nature enthusiasts and tourists," RCMP Sergeant Janelle Shoihet told reporters on Friday.

"This investigation is in its very infancy and it is not yet clear whether Lucas and Chynna were targeted or is this was a crime of opportunity."

Sydney man and American girlfriend victims of double shooting in Canada, police confirm

RCMP seek witnesses, dashcam footage in Liard Hot Springs death investigation

Quote from above article and RCMP and CrimeStoppers phone information:

"Police are looking to speak with anyone who travelled the stretch of highway between Sunday, July 14 at 4 p.m. and Monday morning at 8 a.m. Police say they'd especially like to speak with anybody who has dashcam video of their travels through the area."

"The North District Major Crimes Unit and Northern Rockies RCMP are investigating. Details about the deaths are limited at this time. Officials couldn't immediately say whether public safety is a concern".

"Anyone with information is asked to contact the Northern Rockies RCMP at 250-774-2700 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477".

Canadian law is very strict about publication of information that may compromise an investigation. If there is an arrest, all information will go silent until trial. Information that is released will be intentional and for the purpose of solving the crime. Up until an arrest, lots of information will be released.

The pair met at a hostel in Croatia two years ago, fell in love and on their latest globetrotting escapade packed up an old blue van and set off for a road trip across Canada.

Some media reports raised the prospect of a serial killer linked to the Highway of Tears murders, but the freeway where more than 40 people have been murdered or went missing is located 1,000km south of where Fowler and Deese were killed, and Canadian authorities said there was no evidence a serial killer was responsible.

NSW police to help investigate death of Sydney man Lucas Fowler in Canada

IMO brutality, given the inability for Chynna to have an open casket, might just mean she was shot in the face (or possibly knife injuries in the head/neck area). Not necessarily an extra-ordinary or persistent attack. I would guess this happened very fast, on the side of the road.

Tourists found dead along B.C.’s Alaska Highway appear to have been shot: NSW police

Quotes from above article:

"Carrie Hawryluk of Fort Nelson, B.C., says she saw a young couple matching the description of Fowler and Deese by the side of the Alaska Highway on Sunday afternoon".

“We just saw their van on the side of the road and we saw a young couple, and the van hood was up like it had broken down and they were sitting in some lawn chairs in the ditch,” she said.

"She said her husband, who had driven by about 20 minutes earlier, saw the pair and slowed down to approach, but “the couple didn’t really indicate that they were having problems.”

"Hawryluk, who was travelling with her two aunts and a female cousin, said she hesitated to stop due to safety concerns but notified RCMP".

This account seems a bit different from the Gray Hughes interview information. Originally I had thought the husband and wife were travelling together when they stopped to see if the blue van needed assistance based on the Gray Hughes interview. This account makes it seem that the husband and wife both encountered the van at different times 20 min apart and that the wife didn't stop (but did call RCMP) while her husband did stop and had a short encounter with the people in the blue van.

IMO brutality, given the inability for Chynna to have an open casket, might just mean she was shot in the face (or possibly knife injuries in the head/neck area). Not necessarily an extra-ordinary or persistent attack. I would guess this happened very fast, on the side of the road.

Something happened on the side of a highway. Highways are usually fairly well traveled during the afternoon. Maybe it happened fast, such as they were instantly shot and someone took whatever could be found and left. That's certainly possible. That could mean a first timer.

Tourists found dead along B.C.’s Alaska Highway appear to have been shot: NSW police

"Carrie Hawryluk of Fort Nelson, B.C., says she saw a young couple matching the description of Fowler and Deese by the side of the Alaska Highway on Sunday afternoon".

“We just saw their van on the side of the road and we saw a young couple, and the van hood was up like it had broken down and they were sitting in some lawn chairs in the ditch,” she said.

"She said her husband, who had driven by about 20 minutes earlier, saw the pair and slowed down to approach, but “the couple didn’t really indicate that they were having problems.”

"Hawryluk, who was travelling with her two aunts and a female cousin, said she hesitated to stop due to safety concerns but notified RCMP".

This account seems a bit different from the Gray Hughes interview information. Originally I had thought the husband and wife were travelling together when they stopped to see if the blue van needed assistance based on the Gray Hughes interview. This account makes it seem that the husband and wife both encountered the van at different times 20 min apart and that the wife didn't stop (but did call RCMP) while her husband did stop and had a short encounter with the people in the blue van.

My impression is that the husband saw the couple, then he and his wife saw the couple. The victims were sitting in the ditch near the van, and the van hood was up - suggesting that maybe they had an engine or radiator problem.

In both cases, he did not stop. First time he slowed down and victims did not indicate a problem, second time couple felt unsafe and notified RCMP. If that was at 3:30PM, maybe that is just when something happened.

My impression is that the husband saw the couple, then he and his wife saw the couple. The victims were sitting in the ditch near the van, and the van hood was up - suggesting that maybe they had an engine or radiator problem.

In both cases, he did not stop. First time he slowed down and victims did not indicate a problem, second time couple felt unsafe and notified RCMP. If that was at 3:30PM, maybe that is just when something happened.

this gives us a really tight time frame, within a an hour or two, the call to the mounties may have been what triggered them to go look
a van takes between 1 hour and 2 hours to cool down to be safe to touch he radiator in old cars, you can do it quicker but you risk getting badly burnt from steam
so this would all fit, hmm that is really hard to find a scenario where something happens in that time frame in a random area

1000km's is a long way away
iv driven routes like this in australia and if you've ever done it connecting a set of cases to another case 1000km is a fairy tale its not real

Exactly. The DailyMail is trying to connect these two murders. They are 1300 miles apart. The DailyRag has provided no information to support what was published - wild sensationalist claims with no substance in reality.

Last edited:
this gives us a really tight time frame, within a an hour or two, the call to the mounties may have been what triggered them to go look

a van takes between 1 hour and 2 hours to cool down to be safe to touch he radiator in old cars, you can do it quicker but you risk getting badly burnt from steam
so this would all fit, hmm that is really hard to find a scenario where something happens in that time frame in a random area

It does seem odd that when he first saw them he was not afraid, he slowed down, they indicated no problem, 20 minutes later he felt afraid and called RCMP. One of the times was 3:30PM. Was it 3:30 and 4?

I also wonder how long it took for RCMP to check it out. When did they receive the call, when did they arrive, what is the distance?

What year was the blue van?

Is it possible that they picked up a hitch-hiker or someone who was going the same way? Was a third person traveling with them?

It does seem odd that when he first saw them he was not afraid, he slowed down, they indicated no problem, 20 minutes later he felt afraid and called RCMP. One of the times was 3:30PM. Was it 3:30 and 4?

I also wonder how long it took for RCMP to check it out. When did they receive the call, when did they arrive, what is the distance?

Maybe some distilled water in the radiator can get it going? It's been a long time since I had a vehicle with a radiator. What year was the blue van?

Is it possible that they picked up a hitch-hiker or someone who was going the same way? Was a third person traveling with them?

a 1989 chevy van i believe
my wife came up with a scenario which might work, what if they were asleep when they were shot, the thing is i cant see any firearm holes or windows blown out unless if was through the back window of the van while they slept

The video report in this article has audio from the woman that allegedly saw the blue van:

Regarding the person who saw the couple 20 minutes apart, at first not afraid, then afraid - could that mean that there was no second vehicle at that time? Maybe this was an interloper who lived in that area?

I have to say, the differing stories made my hinky meter jump a bit.

It sounds like the wife was driving with her relatives and didn't stop 'due to safety concerns, but did call RCMP' and that her husband had driven by 20 min earlier (with the couples 2 children) and said the couple in the blue van didn't indicate they were having any trouble.

Last edited:
a 1989 chevy van i believe
my wife came up with a scenario which might work, what if they were asleep when they were shot, the thing is i cant see any firearm holes or windows blown out unless if was through the back window of the van while they slept

BBM
Thanks! 1989 Chevy Van. I wonder when it was last sold. There's a sun visor, it's blue. It was registered in Alberta. I suppose that means it was purchased in Alberta. Where in Alberta? When? Knowing this helps understand whether they were heading towards or away from Liard Hot Springs.

My sense at this time is that they were murdered in the afternoon while they were waiting for the engine. The suspect could be someone who was with them, saw them earlier in their travels, or drove by and saw an opportunity.

The gun is interesting. There are strict regulations on guns in Canada. What type of gun was used? Is it a legal weapon for personal use? If not, why would someone who is not in a gang have an illegal weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm