CANADA - Lucas Fowler, Australian & g/f Chynna Deese, American, murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure does. He drove his vehicle passed them and parked it, walked back to argue with them, apparently. Looks like a "What the h*ll are you thinking" gesture. This was still daylight correct?

Yes, that sounds about right — and with their van having Alberta registration plates the angry bearded man could well be thinking “bloody tourists” before going off altogether. And once he’d spoken with them and realised they were really tourists, maybe he exploded.

Then who knows, maybe the two missing lads (while having B.C. rego plates, I assume?) were in a camper-like vehicle and if they’d done an illegal/dangerous road manoeuvre (u-turn right in front of him?) our bearded suspect might have snapped again.

(Also following along from Australia, I’m in Melbourne.)

Yes, that sounds about right — and with their van having Alberta registration plates the angry bearded man could well be thinking “bloody tourists” before going off altogether. And once he’d spoken with them and realised they were really tourists, maybe he exploded.

Then who knows, maybe the two missing lads (while having B.C. rego plates, I assume?) were in a camper-like vehicle and if they’d done an illegal/dangerous road manoeuvre (u-turn right in front of him?) our bearded suspect might have snapped again.

(Also following along from Australia, I’m in Melbourne.)
I was thinking more in terms if they are related, that the bearded suspect needed another vehicle. Maybe the deceased male had a car that was taken. Maybe the boys witnessed it and fled. MOO

OT Lovely country Australia. I visited Queensland..Brisbane to Cairns.

Last edited:
I was thinking more in terms if they are related, that the bearded suspect needed another vehicle. Maybe the deceased male had a car that was taken. Maybe the boys witnessed it and fled. MOO

OT Lovely country Australia. I visited Queensland..Brisbane to Cairns.

Oh, of course, a replacement vehicle! But now he’d need yet another one — maybe bearded suspect has stolen the deceased man’s car? Ugh, too much conjecture.

I usually detest the weather in Queensland (sorry, some of my family live up there, but it’s too freaking hot for me!) but this year the winter down here is so cold I’m on the verge of packing my bags and escaping to the Far North. Brrr. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

I would find this explanation more likely if the angry bearded man was not also described as "standing in the middle of the road," because that has to be more dangerous than having a broken down van parked somewhat in the lane of traffic. IMO.

B.C.Highway Cams

If you click on the webcam, you can get a good idea of the amount of traffic. Yesterday afternoon I watched it for 20 minutes around 4:00 p.m.. The camera refreshes every two minutes. I never saw a single car, not one, not even on the horizon.

I live in a fairly remote area of N. ON., and it's not unusual for me to drive for 1/2 hr or more without meeting another vehicle. If we see three vehicles in a row, we call it a convoy and bemoan the dreadful traffic.

But highway 97 is far more remote than these parts. That's why stopping to check other cars stalled on the roadside is a common local practice.

So I don't think it was particularly dangerous for Bearded Man to stand in the middle of the road, but his stance could be perceived as aggressive behaviour, and that would be so unusual that it would make the witness very concerned.

Oh, of course, a replacement vehicle! But now he’d need yet another one — maybe bearded suspect has stolen the deceased man’s car? Ugh, too much conjecture.

I usually detest the weather in Queensland (sorry, some of my family live up there, but it’s too freaking hot for me!) but this year the winter down here is so cold I’m on the verge of packing my bags and escaping to the Far North. Brrr. I’m glad you enjoyed it!
He only would need another one if and then RCMP id's the deceased male and determines what his transport was.

We went during your winter so it wasn't too hot, that year at least. It was a tour so we stopped at many islands and beaches...and the Barrier Reef of course. Long plane ride but worth ever minute.

just went back to the video with the road worker and what she said about the arm gesture, id never actually watched the video just read the transcript

what she is describing really does sound like the guy is saying something like look at the road or why something is on the road, possibly the van that broke down, maybe people are right about him being frustrated with the position maybe he almost hit them

but that is kinda what it sounds like from her interview, i also don't blame her for stopping, she is another female alone best to call it in and deal with it that way

oh hey @Trooper above G'day mate
video on the case
Witnesses describe double murder scene

here is the image of the lady and the geasture
246vplk.png

In this photo, note that the shoulder is very wide in that area and partially paved. There is a white line at the outer edge of the lane.

246vplk.png

There is no white line near or under the victims' blue van in the photos. Based on this, it appears the van was fully on the shoulder of the road and not blocking the travel lane in any way.

67360_cbt8887_1.jpg

Sorry, I just can't see putting the blame on the victims. Perhaps we'll get some clarification, but so far none of the witnesses has said the van was parked partially on the roadway.

Maybe he was angry with them for sitting in lawn chairs, sharing a meal while waiting for their engine to cool. Maybe he was angry because he thought they were going to camp there overnight. Either way, it was none of his business and they were doing no harm to anyone.

B.C.Highway Cams

If you click on the webcam, you can get a good idea of the amount of traffic. Yesterday afternoon I watched it for 20 minutes around 4:00 p.m.. The camera refreshes every two minutes. I never saw a single car, not one, not even on the horizon.

I live in a fairly remote area of N. ON., and it's not unusual for me to drive for 1/2 hr or more without meeting another vehicle. If we see three vehicles in a row, we call it a convoy and bemoan the dreadful traffic.

But highway 97 is far more remote than these parts. That's why stopping to check other cars stalled on the roadside is a common local practice.

So I don't think it was particularly dangerous for Bearded Man to stand in the middle of the road, but his stance could be perceived as aggressive behaviour, and that would be so unusual that it would make the witness very concerned.

My impression from the description of how he was standing, palms up, leaning in, was almost a "pleading" stance, but that doesn't make sense if he's the shooter. It's possible that he gestured like that when the witness drove by, and then returned to a more aggressive stance.

I’m very curious about the source this photo because it doesn’t appear to have been released by the RCMP. Typically the van would be towed for evidence and I think it would be really odd for LE to tidily tape up the back window with duct tape and a black plastic garbage bag. And here it is parked at what sort of looks like a rest stop appearing to have been driven there.

Which makes me wonder if this photo was taken of the van while the victims were alive, during their journey and with existing back window damage. And as often occurs when news stories first break, speculation has become immersed with facts.

upload_2019-7-22_8-32-21.jpeg

Two more missing on Canadian highway

I’m very curious about the source this photo because it doesn’t appear to have been released by the RCMP. Typically the van would be towed for evidence and I think it would be really odd for LE to tidily tape up the back window with duct tape and a black plastic garbage bag. And here it is parked at what sort of looks like a rest stop appearing to have been driven there.

Which makes me wonder if this photo was taken of the van while the victims were alive, during their journey and with existing back window damage.

View attachment 194432

Someone posted earlier that a caption under the photo in a news story stated it was in the RCMP lot.

My impression from the description of how he was standing, palms up, leaning in, was almost a "pleading" stance, but that doesn't make sense if he's the shooter. It's possible that he gestured like that when the witness drove by, and then returned to a more aggressive stance.

If this witnesses report is true, if any aggression was occurring at the time I’d wonder why the road worker just drove on by without any concern.

The sighting may have had no connection, just another passerby who continued on their way.

I’m always sceptical of proclaimed witnesses who speak to the media without LE declaring a similar described unknown person and vehicle is suspected.

Someone posted earlier that a caption under the photo in a news story stated it was in the RCMP lot.

It’s not even fenced.

I’m unable to find a direct quote from the RCMP about the back window of the van being shot or knocked out. Even if the photo was taken after the murders, is it a fact the damage to the window occurred during the attack?

Last edited:

Which makes me wonder if this photo was taken of the van while the victims were alive, during their journey and with existing back window damage. And as often occurs when news stories first break, speculation has become immersed with facts.

View attachment 194432

Appears photos taken of van "recovered at the scene." Or maybe Fort Nelson impound(?) Vancouver reporter is with Global News Canada.

Nadia Stewart‏Verified account @nadia_stewart
Spoke with the tow truck driver who responded to the call from RCMP to bring this van back to Fort Nelson. He says he didn’t realize it was a murder investigation until he arrived on scene @GlobalBC

EAEWjJiXsAAgc20.jpg

2:01 AM - 22 Jul 2019 pst

Nadia Stewart‏Verified account @nadia_stewart
NEW PHOTOS: Here’s a look at the van recovered at the scene where Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese were found. ⁦@GlobalBC

EABo-zkXUAEIds3.jpg

1:20 PM - 21 Jul 2019 pst

Adding to my post, the source was the tow truck driver. Was the window sealed with duct tape and a black garbage bag before or after? He doesn’t say. But his comments appears to be why the story has proceeded about a smashed window.

“John Wright, the tow truck driver who pulled the van from the crime scene to Fort Nelson nearly four hours away, told Global News Sunday he didn’t know he’d be handling evidence in a murder investigation until he arrived on scene.

“[The officers] didn’t let me touch anything, they wouldn’t let me go around to the back of the vehicle until I got it onto the truck to tie it on,” he said.”

Once he got to the back of the van, Wright noticed the rear window was smashed, but couldn’t say whether it was shot out. He also couldn’t see anything inside the van....”
Tourist couple found dead off B.C. highway were ‘happy’ and ‘confident,’ bystanders say

During an investigation evidence is collected at the crime scene and analyzed at the laboratory. The van would have been towed by the RCMP to a secure laboratory for analysis.

It would be unheard of for police to cover a broken window and use masking tape to secure it. My guess would be that it was broken and covered by Lucas prior to the murder.

If this witnesses report is true, if any aggression was occurring at the time I’d wonder why the road worker just drove on by without any concern.

The sighting may have had no connection, just another passerby who continued on their way.

I’m always sceptical of proclaimed witnesses who speak to the media without LE declaring a similar described unknown person and vehicle is suspected.
That's also a good point. This bearded man may have also been stopping to ask if they needed help. Perhaps questing what was going on. He may have driven away after that. No one has seen him commit a crime. But I'd think LE would at least want to talk to him. He has not come forward with any info, to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu