Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
PURE SPECULATION and JMO, but that was my thought too. Someone saw the van assumed it was broken down and left there, so why not siphon the gas out. Possibly Chynna heard something outside and sat up and was putting on her shoes (found with one shoe) to go out and investigate who was outside. The thief or thieves were startled realizing someome was inside and shot through the rear window hitting Chynna first. Lucas jumped out the side door (seen open in crime scene photos) and he was then shot because he could identify the theives. The culprits may have considered stealing the van but it would not start, possibly explaining why both bodies were outside of the van. PURE SPECULATION and JMO

But stealing gasoline for what?

Based on the alleged timeline, KM and BS would've still been driving the truck with the camper when they happened upon the van. That Ram truck they were driving was a diesel.

My original post did not mention that it was KM & BS that possibly stopped to siphon gas.
I know these two have been named as suspects but to date there is no confirmed information that places KM BS at the scene of the crime, until there is more info or some charges laid for the murders of Lucas & Chynna, I am trying to keep an open mind.
Innocent until proven guilty. JMO

Diesel in a 1986 Chevy van was an option:
The third generation GM van was fitted with a variety of engines over its lifetime. A 4.1L (250 CID) straight six was the base engine, this was replaced by the 4.3L V6 in 1985. The 4.3L initially used a 4bbl carburetor, this was updated to TBI fuel injection in 1987. 5.0L and 5.7L small block V8s were the mainstay engines, these were also updated to fuel injection in 1987. A 7.4-liter V8 (230–255 hp (172–190 kW), 385 lb⋅ft (522 N⋅m) at 3600 rpm) was added in 1990, exclusive to the G30. The transmission choices were a three-speed manual, three-speed automatic, four-speed manual, or 4-speed automatic, depending on the model year. Chevrolet also offered, in 1982–1995, the Detroit Diesel V8 engine. [BBM]

Its hard to tell if all the pumps at the gas station D&F stopped offered diesel from the video as the resolution is poor. Curious if anyone is familiar with that gas station chains pumps and do we know for sure the 1986 van ran on gasoline and not diesel?
I just went to the gas station and for 99% sure it was gas they filled up with. The pumps go (from the back of the van to the front) gas only (I nozzle and it’s green), then the next pump which they used is gas (different grades-green nozzle) this is the one I believe he used and the one right beside is bright yellow and it’s diesel. I took Picts if anyone thinks I’m making that up. I then looked at the video again and I’m 99% sure the nozzle is green that he put in the van. Can someone else look and tell me what they think. But I’m quite sure it’s gas. The yellow nozzle is really close to the spot Chynna is doing the window.
Also the gas stations up the highway do lock their nozzles at night. And some of the stations have cameras. I know you can get fuel at testa-which is as south as I would suspect KM and BS would travel, there’s one at Toad River lodge with a restaurant, then there’s a couple at muncho one is double g and the other Muncho Lake lodge which nobody uses because of his jacked up price. It’s well known online in the reviews to not stop there. I cannot say for sure whether Liard Hot Springs lodge sells fuel anymore. They did when it was called trapper rays (for a very long time) but it’s under new management and I don’t know about the fuel but I would think they would because after that, there’s no fuel stops for a very long time.

Last edited:
Well, presumably, for two reasons:

As can be seen in the supplied photo that has been going around of their truck and camper (before it was burned), it has the Cummins Turbo Diesel badge on the front fender, below the "RAM 250."

Secondly, I have never seen a gas powered first generation Ram 2500. Half ton sure, but all 2500 and 3500 first generation Ram trucks that I have seen have been diesel.

Gas station video of D&F: Are they pumping gas or diesel?

Not 100% sure but gasoline first gen Ram was available towards the end of this model platform as they moved towards diesel optional to compete with Ford gasoline trucks. Do we know what the model and of the camper van was? It was so many threads ago that I have forgotten. PS. Please be gentle as I am NOT a car/vehicle person!

Some Ram truck engine info:
Ram Pickup - Wikipedia

Usually when the RCMP thinks someone is aiding the fugitives, they will issue a warning that anyone assisting or hiding the fugitives can be charged with being an accessory to the murder.

But the RCMP hasn't said anything like that yet. They've only said that they have no evidence, or rather that they have received no credible tips, that the suspects have left the Fox Lake area.

Today they actually said, again, that they wanted to "remind" everyone that "someone might have inadvertently aided" the suspects and that they could be elsewhere.

Someone apparently has the good sense, within RCMP, not to threaten a person who might be their only way of finding these guys soon.

Diesel in a 1986 Chevy van was an option:
The third generation GM van was fitted with a variety of engines over its lifetime. A 4.1L (250 CID) straight six was the base engine, this was replaced by the 4.3L V6 in 1985. The 4.3L initially used a 4bbl carburetor, this was updated to TBI fuel injection in 1987. 5.0L and 5.7L small block V8s were the mainstay engines, these were also updated to fuel injection in 1987. A 7.4-liter V8 (230–255 hp (172–190 kW), 385 lb⋅ft (522 N⋅m) at 3600 rpm) was added in 1990, exclusive to the G30. The transmission choices were a three-speed manual, three-speed automatic, four-speed manual, or 4-speed automatic, depending on the model year. Chevrolet also offered, in 1982–1995, the Detroit Diesel V8 engine. [BBM]

Its hard to tell if all the pumps at the gas station D&F stopped offered diesel from the video as the resolution is poor. Curious if anyone is familiar with that gas station chains pumps and do we know for sure the 1986 van ran on gasoline and not diesel?

Correct, Chevy did offer the 6.2 diesel as an option in those vans.

However, the auction listing for Lucas' van (which was posted several threads ago) states GAS on the listing.

Additionally, so few of them came with the diesel engines that I highly doubt it would even cross KM's and BS's minds that the van they saw might take the same fuel as their truck. This is delving into super deep car-nerd territory (guilty, yes). I would put money on that van having a plain old Chevy 350 under the hood as most of them did. I've owned several of those vans, plus I am a big nerd so of course I have an interest in this side of things.

Not 100% sure but gasoline first gen Ram was available towards the end of this model platform as they moved towards diesel optional to compete with Ford gasoline trucks. Do we know what the model and of the camper van was? It was so many threads ago that I have forgotten. PS. Please be gentle as I am NOT a car/vehicle person!
They are pumping gas. Look up a few threads I just went and checked lol

Ram Pickup - Wikipedia

I just went to the gas station and for 99% sure it was gas they filled up with. The pumps go (from the back of the van to the front) gas only (I nozzle and it’s green), then the next pump which they used is gas (different grades-green nozzle) this is the one I believe he used and the one right beside is bright yellow and it’s diesel. I took Picts if anyone thinks I’m making that up. I then looked at the video again and I’m 99% sure the nozzle is green that he put in the van. Can someone else look and tell me what they think. But I’m quite sure it’s gas. The yellow nozzle is really close to the spot Chynna is doing the window.
Also the gas stations up the highway do lock their nozzles at night. And some of the stations have cameras. I know you can get fuel at testa-which is as south as I would suspect KM and BS would travel, there’s one at Toad River lodge with a restaurant, then there’s a couple at muncho one is double g and the other Muncho Lake lodge which nobody uses because of his jacked up price. It’s well known online in the reviews to not stop there. I cannot say for sure whether Liard Hot Springs lodge sells fuel anymore. They did when it was called trapper rays (for a very long time) but it’s under new management and I don’t know about the fuel but I would think they would because after that, there’s no fuel stops for a very long time.
Great info! Thanks for all this info.

However, the auction listing for Lucas' van (which was posted several threads ago) states GAS on the listing.

Additionally, so few of them came with the diesel engines that I highly doubt it would even cross KM's and BS's minds that the van they saw might take the same fuel as their truck. This is delving into super deep car-nerd territory (guilty, yes). I would put money on that van having a plain old Chevy 350 under the hood as most of them did. I've owned several of those vans, plus I am a big nerd so of course I have an interest in this side of things.
Great to know. Are you equally sure the camper van was a diesel as that had gasoline option too so far as I can tell as a non car nerd but trying to understand why the 2 might have been interested in a van stopped on the side of the road. If not for gas was it to steal something?

Ram Pickup - Wikipedia

As far as I can tell from the supplied photo, their truck was an '89 to '93 first generation Dodge Ram 250 diesel 4x4.

Bottom line: Their truck was diesel, the van was gas (as indicated in the auction listing), so in my opinion they were not looking to steal fuel from Lucas and Chynna. That's all.

I also am questioning the porkchops and orange peels they would have burnt to a crisp one would think

There were small propane cylinders inside the Rav4 which would have exploded when ignited and things would have been thrown all around before they had a chance to burn.

A friend had incorrectly connected a propane tank to her bbq on the deck. She started the bbq & stepped inside the house, turned around to look outside & see the propane tank on fire. She had a spare next to the bbq, the tanks exploded and her and her daughter only had time to grab her purse & car keys & run out the front door. She immediately called the fire dept. but the house was gone before they arrived.

IMO they weren’t looking to steal gas or diesel from L and C. I don’t know if KMs truck is gas or diesel but I know the van is gas. And I know there was nowhere along that highway that was selling any fuel at the time of night (based on the witnesses seeing them alive). And I know the highway was shut down with traffic stops, etc very early. So IMO they didn’t need fuel clearly, they wanted money if anything or whatever they could find. They were broke young men. They would of had to get fuel at one of the 4 stations and the price is insanely expensive so I can’t see them having used cash to pay when they did get fuel (before they killed the victims). So if they used a card, maybe that’s why the ditched their truck, it ran out of fuel. That’s as far as they would of been able to make it without refueling. So they did what they did to LD and took his vehicle.

As far as I can tell from the supplied photo, their truck was an '89 to '93 first generation Dodge Ram 250 diesel 4x4.

Bottom line: Their truck was diesel, the van was gas (as indicated in the auction listing), so in my opinion they were not looking to steal fuel from Lucas and Chynna. That's all.
Ok. Just checking things off the list and that was on it! Will keep moving down the list!

arah Kraus‏Verified account @SarahNKraus
We’re told this is the spot where Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky got stuck in @CityofColdLake on Sunday July 21. It’s next to a seniors home, a soccer field, and a backyard swimming pool that’s currently entertaining 4 kids.

EAv-84oUEAAwv1Z.jpg

1:18 PM - 30 Jul 2019 pst

I really like this photo as it's a good example of the teens following the "transmission line." This is not a road but service easement that's probably easier to navigate during the winter months.

This would be their mindset on Sunday, July 21-- just before they would arrive the Co-op in Meadow Lake where they were last seen on surveillance per RCMP.

MOO

why are they driving a RAV through that? wouldn't it be unusual for it not to get stuck?

Today they actually said, again, that they wanted to "remind" everyone that "someone might have inadvertently aided" the suspects and that they could be elsewhere.

If someone had inadvertently aided the suspects, wouldn't that someone have come forward to RCMP with that info?
What am I missing?

IMO they weren’t looking to steal gas or diesel from L and C. I don’t know if KMs truck is gas or diesel but I know the van is gas. And I know there was nowhere along that highway that was selling any fuel at the time of night (based on the witnesses seeing them alive). And I know the highway was shut down with traffic stops, etc very early. So IMO they didn’t need fuel clearly, they wanted money if anything or whatever they could find. They were broke young men. They would of had to get fuel at one of the 4 stations and the price is insanely expensive so I can’t see them having used cash to pay when they did get fuel (before they killed the victims). So if they used a card, maybe that’s why the ditched their truck, it ran out of fuel. That’s as far as they would of been able to make it without refueling. So they did what they did to LD and took his vehicle.
That is as good an explanation for the burning of the camper truck as we've seen so far IMO.

If someone had inadvertently aided the suspects, wouldn't that someone have come forward to RCMP with that info?
What am I missing?
The possibility exists that whoever inadvertently aided the 2 suspects perhaps was not friendly to the idea of helping the RCMP. Depending on where the assistance was provided, community relations with RCMP aren't necessarily 'rock solid' and animosity exists.

Or, it could have been someone that couldn't go to the RCMP for their own personal reasons (on parole, felon, wanted etc).

Many possibilities as to how this idea makes alot of sense.

I'm assuming the $20 of gas they purchased in York Landing was to torch the SUV - I don't recall reading whether the gas went straight into the tank or whether they brought in a jerry can. Bryer also asked if alcohol could be consumed there - answer was "no" as it's a dry community. So they headed further to Gillam, where they could buy alcohol, in preparation of their celebratory final hurrah, "good-bye cruel world" event. I mean, I sure would need a couple of drinks before I end it all. Or, was the alcohol for Bryer himself only, as he doesn't drive? (surely Kam wouldn't drink and take the risk of driving to the next location - or maybe he would). I think they torched the vehicle, headed into the woods with their booze, made a toast to each other (one donning a new suit) and called it a night.

People like these guys fantasize about what it's like to kill someone in real life. Some killers describe the feeling as a real "rush" or "euphoric". I believe this urge for them was overwhelming. They made up their minds and set their plan in motion under the guise of exploring job opportunities. They set out specifically knowing someone was going to die. Exercising their ability to control the delicate balance between life and death - ahhh, what power! It wasn't a road trip, it was a power trip.

Now that it's done, and experience had, there is nothing else, so no other way out.

Wow, I hadn’t noticed this before. It appears B was stringing along his family with false stories even after he left Port Alberni. His problem could be he knows nothing about cellphone tracking or traffic cams - if murdering people nowhere near Whitehorse was premeditated.

However what’s sort of confusing - if the grandmother was last in touch with him on the 13th or 14th and he only left on the 12th, how did she know they arrived in Whitehorse “a few days later” than the 12th? Maybe that’s the story he told his mother. Alibi?

“Schmegelsky’s grandmother, Carol Starkey, said McLeod and Schmegelsky left Port Alberni on July 12 to find work in Whitehorse. When they arrived in Whitehorse a few days later, they decided it wasn’t what they had expected. Starkey, who was last in touch with her grandson on July 13 or 14, isn’t sure what their plans were after that...”
RCMP not ruling out link between missing Alberni teens, body found near truck, double slaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487