Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They may have no idea that the van or the Rav 4 used different fuel to their truck, they could have put the wrong stolen fuel in it and left it out of action. Anybody could have seen the van parked half off the road and thought it was dumped or abandoned too
Is it for sure it was a diesel van? I swear the pump they are pulled up to is gas only. I’m going to drive by shortly and look. Doesn’t really matter I suppose but now I’m curious. Diesel is much harder to come by and more expensive up the highway.

Hm. Not likely, but not impossible. South Indian Lake is about an 11 hr drive from Gillam according to maps, can't speak to any unofficial routes. Hard to say how they would've gotten there without help from someone or somehow stealing another car without it ever being reported. And how would they end up with this man's boat? The deceased in this instance was reported missing the day after the burning RAV4 was found. An accidental death or suicide would be more probable, all things considered, but the timing does

I think you're right. It's a bit too far from Gillam given the time frame. Rcmp posted that they are investigating so if it was connected somehow I'm sure we will soon be informed.

I think you're right. It's a bit too far from Gillam given the time frame. Rcmp posted that they are investigating so if it was connected somehow I'm sure we will soon be informed.

That's the big thing. I know RCMP have taken quite a blow to the reputation by still being so in the dark on this very difficult case, but they're bright enough and have enough resources involved that they'd have a connection established in no time.

No wonder we get confused with all the conflicting information.

Tataskweyak Cree Nation band officer revealed the teens were wearing different clothes to those shown on their wanted posters — none of it camouflage gear.

24 hours after RCMP issued a nationwide alert, they were pulled over after failing to stop at a checkpoint just outside the dry community in Split Lake. They said they had come from Vancouver and the driver said he was sorry for failing to stop. They apologised repeatedly before
standing aside to let him look inside the RAV 4 SUV.

And what he found — or didn’t find — was surprising: “Just two boxes and a suit”.

Bombshell reports on Tuesday claimed Constable Saunders had seen camping equipment and several maps inside the car — indicating the teens were prepared for the elements and in for the long haul, but in an interview with CBC’s Austin Grabish, the officer denied having sighted anything of the kind. He said, “I didn’t see no camping gear, no maps, no weapons, no drugs or alcohol”. “They seemed paranoid when I was talking to that guy there, the driver.” “Not even an hour later they left here towards Gillam.”

They went on to buy $20 worth of fuel at a local gas station at around 4pm. where they were served by attendant Mychelle Keeper at around 4pm. Like the band constable, the attendant did not recognise the pair until the following day when she saw the updated poster naming them as suspects in three murders.

Puzzlingly, she told police the pair were dressed in exactly the same clothes they were wearing in the CCTV vision, contradicting Constable Saunder’s account.

Sometime that evening, the SUV was found abandoned and alight in dense bush near a rail line at a First Nation reserve 70km from Gillam.

A volunteer firefighter was called to extinguish the SUV, presumed the vehicle ran out of fuel. He said it appeared the fugitives were so keen to flee they left behind camping equipment and canned sardines or oysters that would help them survive in the bush. He said, “There were a few pots and pans in there, a few canned foods, a crowbar”. There has been speculation the food and camping gear belonged to Prof Leonard Dyck who is believed to have been the car’s owner.

What cop really found in teen murder spree suspects’ car

I guess it all depends on what you consider to be camping gear. I've been a camper all my life so pots and pans, yes, but in that environment I'd be thinking more like sleeping bags if I was planning to camp even if it was in a vehicle. Len Dyck was a camper so it would make sense that they took whatever they thought would be useful. Maybe it was never their intention to camp when they left home, but then there were the murders. If they're innocent, all they had to do was surrender and explain.

You misunderstood what I was saying. They said that AND followed it with that they didn’t know who was driving the van. I know they knew that Chynna and Lucas had been. I know this for a fact because of one of the witnesses who chose not to be named and never gave a statement to media. Our whole town knew the minute we heard the sirens. I know myself of 3 separate people who stopped to talk to them to offer help (rcmp have been informed). My point is, it was clear the hood was up and the vehicle was broke down to everyone, including the rcmp. But when it was found the hood was not up (not saying i know who did that) but I found it too weird for them to make a statement about not knowing who was driving when they did know-which leads me to believe the killers tried to take the van but it didn’t start. This is all my opinion only. But my entire point is why would they say something like that? It is weird to me considering we all knew who the victims were (not necessarily their names but one was Australian and super tall and with a pretty young lady).

Oh no sorry for the misunderstanding, I only just meant to add to your comment! I agree with everything you've said, my only point was that the RCMP obviously would've known whether the the victims were killed inside or outside the van. I have no idea about why they would insinuate someone else than the victims would've been driving that van.

Oh no sorry for the misunderstanding, I only just meant to add to your comment! I agree with everything you've said, my only point was that the RCMP obviously would've known whether the the victims were killed inside or outside the van. I have no idea about why they would insinuate someone else than the victims would've been driving that van.
I have wondered if the van was moved a short distance, even a few feet.

The glass was visible to one of the witnesses. Can the witness tell us whether the door was open or closed when the glass was broken? If the door was open, glass would be on the ground outside of the van regardless of how it was broken.

This was posted a while back, attributed to Gray Hughes

View attachment 195928

can never catch up with these threads.... for whatever reason, when I see this picture, I imagine the killers throwing a rock through this window, or maybe bashing it, and then CD and LF coming out, and then the killers murdering them. (Is it only the windshield of a van that has safety glass? Safety glass falls "both ways.") I have also wondered, if the killers did not have a lethal gun, if CD and LF were bashed in the head - would explain how they could be shot but not killed just with gun shot wounds, but "gun violence," and why CD would be a particularly bad sight. (just me speculating)

As I stated, they couldn't have used gasoline in their diesel truck.
Diesel in a 1986 Chevy van was an option (but it looks like gasoline was more popular - can't find mfg stats to prove this out):

The third generation GM van was fitted with a variety of engines over its lifetime. A 4.1L (250 CID) straight six was the base engine, this was replaced by the 4.3L V6 in 1985. The 4.3L initially used a 4bbl carburetor, this was updated to TBI fuel injection in 1987. 5.0L and 5.7L small block V8s were the mainstay engines, these were also updated to fuel injection in 1987. A 7.4-liter V8 (230–255 hp (172–190 kW), 385 lb⋅ft (522 N⋅m) at 3600 rpm) was added in 1990, exclusive to the G30. The transmission choices were a three-speed manual, three-speed automatic, four-speed manual, or 4-speed automatic, depending on the model year. Chevrolet also offered, in 1982–1995, the Detroit Diesel V8 engine. [BBM]

Its hard to tell if all the pumps at the gas station D&F stopped offered diesel from the video as the resolution is poor. Curious if anyone is familiar with that gas station chains pumps and do we know for sure the 1986 van ran on gasoline and not diesel?

Question: It was so many threads ago, are we absolutely sure the camper van was a diesel and not gas? Trucks started to transition to gasoline in the 1980s if I recall and while diesel was an option more trucks each year were sold with gasoline engines.

Last edited:
At the burned RAV4 there were cans of sardines, orange peels, and....... pork chops?

Does the reporter mean pork chop remnants? Or does he/she mean cooked or raw pork chops?

This seems to defy the notion that they were out of gas and out of food.

partially eaten I think it said

They may have no idea that the van or the Rav 4 used different fuel to their truck, they could have put the wrong stolen fuel in it and left it out of action. Anybody could have seen the van parked half off the road and thought it was dumped or abandoned too

After 10 threads of seeing this come up over and over, despite being corrected repeatedly by numerous other posters, can we finally put this misstatement to bed...the van was NOT parked half off the road. Perhaps someone thought it was dumped or abandoned, but it was WELL OFF THE ROAD, as has been clearly shown in photos of the crime scene.

Last edited:
And something you would take with you whether you were planning on hitchhiking out of there or were going to head out into the bush.

Again, why didn't they take it?

I think these guys were so prepared that they have exactly what they need and know to use and don’t need any extra things to pack around. BS has those handy pockets on his shirt and everything he needs is in the right place and they have practiced enough with the tools/supplies that they have that they don’t need anything more.

Maybe KM packs the gun or has a camo shirt he wears over the kuthulu shirt. I think these guys have it covered.

As for sardines and oysters... maybe that was the food the professor had (maybe a cooler full of food) and these guys don’t eat stuff like that or they knew it could attract bears. They probably have their food air dried in packets etc. Light and easy and no scent trail until they open it.

I was wondering, as both the truck and camper were found burned, were both fires similar - which might indicate the circumstances were probably the same. Or what was different.

Somewhere IIRC I noticed a map of the location of the burning truck and camper and it appeared it was driven fair distance away from Hwy #37 into a treed forested area, maybe down a short logging road. But I can’t find that map, hoping somebody might have the link.

However the RAV4 apparently was close enough to the road that the person who saw the flames thought a crash might’ve occurred with occupants inside.

Maybe unlikely, just my theory (of which I have several). The truck and camper were intentionally burned because the pair mistakingly though it would be presumed they both perished, hoping even the blaze would start a major forest fire. In their diabolical minds, maybe they though the fire would spread 2km away. Was there any reports of additional small fires started nearby I wonder....near the rest stop where LDs body was found at the same time as the burning truck? Maybe to LE it initially appeared a murderer/arsonist was involved explaining the initial disconnect to L and Cs murders.

The RAV4 though, was different. Maybe they pushed it off the road down a steep embankment after it ran out of gas or mechanically failed. Maybe it wasn’t intended to explode at all and that’s why there were still useful contents inside, as the pair thought it’d take weeks before it was noticed and they could get back to it, if needed. But instead it burst into flames, karma at work....

BBM

“....Beardy and his family were the first people to find the burning SUV linked to McLeod and Schmegelsky. He reported it to RCMP, and then Manitoba conservation officers once they became concerned the fire would spread.

"It was, like, big flames," he said. "They were just about reaching the wires."

They were worried someone might be in the vehicle, because they presumed it had crashed and caught fire.......
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fox-lake-nightly-community-patrol-fugitives-1.5225799

can never catch up with these threads.... for whatever reason, when I see this picture, I imagine the killers throwing a rock through this window, or maybe bashing it, and then CD and LF coming out, and then the killers murdering them. (Is it only the windshield of a van that has safety glass? Safety glass falls "both ways.") I have also wondered, if the killers did not have a lethal gun, if CD and LF were bashed in the head - would explain how they could be shot but not killed just with gun shot wounds, but "gun violence," and why CD would be a particularly bad sight. (just me speculating)

My cousin Vinnie Language.

Speaking of things found around the burned out RAV...

The video I saw showed 3-5 unlit (new) wooden matches scattered on the ground. (sorry, I don't remember where I viewed the video. It may have been on twitter somewhere).

If they did plan to be in the bush for any length of time, I don't think they would be so careless with their matches.

Unless they were literally running. Setting things on fire also may cause a momentary loss of concentration, even anxiety. Things get forgotten.

What is the rationale to why they would want to change one gas guzzler (camper truck) for another (Van)?

ETA.. wouldn’t the diesel give a better mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor