Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider this scenario unlikely, but that's not the same as implausible.

My main issue is they burned the RAV4 before being named as suspects.
I don't know how dry the bush/brush is where they ditched the RAV4, but if they did accidentally go into the ditch and the brush was dry, and spent some time trying to get it out of there (like in Cold Lake), it could have ignited the brush and set the vehicle on fire.

Thank you! Yes, it seems reasonable to assume that if he had wanted to work with his dad--or if BS had wanted to work with him--that would have been an option.
Yes, without question that is part in parcel why I feel their excuse for going up north to "look for work" had no basis. They would have been better to say 'we'd like to do an exploring adventure to the North because we've never been up there"

One would think it would be top priority , yet close to a month now and still no charges or any proof whatsoever has been given.
Question: if proof does not come would it be possible for the families of KM/BS to launch a lawsuit?
Cut them some slack, they only just discovered the bodies a couple of days ago.

Yes, without question that is part in parcel why I feel their excuse for going up north to "look for work" had no basis. They would have been better to say 'we'd like to do an exploring adventure to the North because we've never been up there"
Very true. Maybe that was the implied reason, but they felt like saying that after they'd only had a job for 5 weeks looked lame. If I had a kid and they pulled that on me after 5 weeks at a job, I would be like, "Uh no." So, it essentially provided them a respectable excuse, though one that doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

I consider this scenario unlikely, but that's not the same as implausible.

My main issue is they burned the RAV4 before being named as suspects.

I don't know how dry the bush/brush is where they ditched the RAV4, but if they did accidentally go into the ditch and the brush was dry, and spent some time trying to get it out of there (like in Cold Lake), it could have ignited the brush and set the vehicle on fire.

I've always thought that maybe they set the Rav4 on fire because they were spooked after being pulled over at the check-stop in Split Lake... made them panic. I really can't think of a better reason they'd choose a boat or going into the woods over staying in the vehicle that had already gotten them across 4 provinces. JMO though. :)

It could have been as simple as KM's dad saying "Look, you can't even get to work on time because you're up all night. You're obsessed with video games (heck, he was a moderator; that can consume a lot of time). Learn what working at a real job is for a few years and then I'll consider bringing you into/back into the business. Here's a truck camper to get you on your way."

It wouldn't be the first time a successful company-owning father has done it.

Don’t think the Ministry of Education would be given any info. If parents aren’t getting info either would M of E.

ETA. Teachers are there to teach....They are not social workers or psychologists. Unless a student is deemed violent, has threatened violence or is seen as a threat to the school or students, teachers/principals cannot make students attend counselling. The suggestion can be made but cannot be enforced save for extenuating circumstances as previously mentioned.

Let’s suppose that you’re the B.C. Minister of Education, or even the head of the local school board, and journalists start asking questions about whether teachers saw any problems, especially in light of reports of inappropriate behaviour by Schmegelsky.

Do you:
1. Refuse to answer?
2. Say “It isn’t our job to worry about things like that”?
3. Say “We’ve looked into this and here is what we found OR We’re looking into this to see if there’s anything we can learn”.

As an old hand at this, I‘m confident that Answer No. 3 works and that the other two are a heap of trouble :)

Yes, he was out of Bryer's life for several years. I think he must have re-entered it about the time that Bryer briefly lived with him 3 years ago and then remained in contact with him since Bryer then moved in with his grandma. (I get impression grandma is mom's mom.)

LOL I work from home part-time and just have gotten nothing constructive done for weeks because of this case. ;)
Haha same!!!

Otto, is this the map you're talking about? It definitely looks like the truck would have been spotted in a few different areas while they were driving around up there, depending on the routes they took.

DriveBC - Map View

It looks very similar, although I thought there was also a camera on Hwy 97. Either way, RCMP would have checked all available digital information and would know whether the camper truck was on Hwy 97 on July 14/15.

Let’s suppose that you’re the B.C. Minister of Education, or even the head of the local school board, and journalists start asking questions about whether teachers saw any problems, especially in light of reports of inappropriate behaviour by Schmegelsky.

Do you:
Refuse to answer?
Say “It isn’t our job to worry about things like that”?
Say “We’ve looked into this and here is what we found OR We’re looking into this to see if there’s anything we can learn”.

As an old hand at this, I‘m confident that Answer No. 3 works and that the other two are a heap of trouble :)
No comment at this time. There is no way Ministry of Education would get involved in this mess. Imo

ETA unless under a subpoena. Internally, there could be an investigation but they definitely would not speak to reporters at this time,

Last edited:
I've always thought that maybe they set the Rav4 on fire because they were spooked after being pulled over at the check-stop in Split Lake... made them panic. I really can't think of a better reason they'd choose a boat or going into the woods over staying in the vehicle that had already gotten them across 4 provinces. JMO though. :)
The reason I think it was an accidental ditching is: they could have simply gone into deserted Sundance or any backroad and set it on fire. The location (right at the intersection) makes no sense if done intentionally.

Thank you for that info! And yes that is a good point about Kam. I've never seen any description for why he ended up there, but it has also piqued my curiosity.

Edited to add: I wonder if returning to school in some form was a condition for staying with grandma.

Or court-ordered, as part of the custody agreement. It was stated that AS had supervised visits with his son. Why did he to travel to Nanaimo for visits, rather than PA -- more of the agreement?

Could also be part of some other juvenile court order. It was stated that he had run away.

The reason I think it was an accidental ditching is: they could have simply gone into deserted Sundance or any backroad and set it on fire. The location (right at the intersection) makes no sense if done intentionally.

Burning it makes no sense at all in my opinion. It was either a panicked decision or they wanted to be found and confront the police sooner. There is a lot of access roads on which you could dump a vehicle and it wouldn’t be found for weeks until a hydro worker needed that trail. Burning it was a giant flag to pinpoint their location.

No, we don't know from the RCMP which routes KM and BS took. Here's why basic information like the routes the victims took is very important. This is from LD's cousin, not the RCMP.

The trip to the Dease Lake area wasn’t part of original Dyck’s plans, Friesen said, adding he was only supposed to travel between Terrace and Stewart.

Family of B.C. murder victim remembers Leonard Dyck as ‘gentle soul,’ family man

The RCMP have stated that the victims were random, not targeted. Is LD's death considered random because he made a random decision to change his route?

It would be extremely random if LF and CD hadn't even travelled on the same highways as BS and KM. This would indicate that someone else is responsible for their murders.

It could be considered targeted if the victims and suspects travelled the same highways at the same times, if somewhere along the line the suspects formed a plan to follow and kill the victims.

We know that both LD and the suspects were on Highway 37. We don't know if CD and LF were ever on the same highway as the suspects.

I have attempted to explain why this is important previously. If the suspects themselves cannot be placed at the scene of the crime near Liard Hot Springs, and not just a random discarded item belonging to them, how can they be responsible for the murders?

The routes are very much a part of this investigation, I am sure, because this is very important information. If it was impossible for LF and CD to be in the same place as the suspects at the time of the murders, as proven by highway cams, security cams, etc., then the person or persons who killed them remain at large. This is my concern. Until there is proof, we don't know.
I suspect the RCMP knows exactly what route they took, based on gas purchases, cameras, etc. They probably are names suspects because they went up the AK Hwy. But yeah, hopefully the info is shared.

Or court-ordered, as part of the custody agreement. It was stated that AS had supervised visits with his son. Why did he to travel to Nanaimo for visits, rather than PA --more of the agreement?
Did he travel to Nanaimo? I had assumed he went to PA. I also assumed he had to get a hotel since BS's grandma was the ex-wife's mom, so he wouldn't have been welcome to stay, presumably.

In Canada university admission requirements vary by university and by a student's situation.

UBC, for example, lists "graduation from high school" as an admission requirement for Canadian high school students.

Here: Canadian high schools - UBC | Undergraduate Programs and Admissions

U.B.C. and other Canadian universities accept mature students. Here are U.B.C.’s requirements:

Mature students - UBC | Undergraduate Programs and Admissions

There are a couple of universities in B.C. where the requirements may well be more relaxed. There’s also the whole community college system.

It looks very similar, although I thought there was also a camera on Hwy 97. Either way, RCMP would have checked all available digital information and would know whether the camper truck was on Hwy 97 on July 14/15.

Do we know for sure that those cameras don't just loop themselves and by the time RCMP got to them the recording of those days, or the time frame they needed, were already long gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ezynig101