Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s one of the reasons why I find this case so interesting/unsettling: I’m really struggling to understand this upcoming generation. I have no problem with the millennials in my nuclear and extended family, they’ve had their ups and downs of course, but on the whole they’re decent human beings. But the kids in my family that are around the age of BS/KM - man, something feels off. Maybe I’m just getting too old, but I can’t seem to reach these kids, they seem so disconnected - almost to the point of disassociation, a weird flattening of affect, and I see again and again an unsettling kind of thousand yard stare. I can’t find a bridge with which to reach these kids. Again, maybe it’s me, maybe I can’t reach them because I’m just too darn old. But I'm really trying to understand, and I sure am worried.
A very interesting observation!

But someone also posted that fiberglass doesn't "melt," that its traces are near invisible and near weightless. Not that it matters now. I was just curious about fiberglass and its qualities.

I believe the real culprit here is "fire."

I suggest googling images of "vehicle fires" where you will see door panels, trunks, etc. with no weight bearing that are also appear dented-- presumably from the heat of the fire. MOO

Nothing at that point, atleast as far as we know (rhetorical I know).

There are two likely reasons for the murders:

Robbery (most likely IMO).

Murder for murder’s sake.

Robbery seems most likely to me too. Perhaps BS and KM stopped to see if there was petrol to siphon, and during the process woke up the couple, and they were confronted - perhaps looked out the back of the van - confrontation ensued - somebody had/got a gun in their hands and shot out.

No, I’ll go back and fix ‘I think’ to IMO... Having raised teenage boys, I can’t imagine letting one drive off with a truck for an adventure at age 19 and not feel the need for some sort of check in schedule via text, etc... A few days without response to my calls/texts, I’d get worried and have to follow up with police...
I'd be following up with police after a few hours if I didn't hear from mine, believe me! And she is 32.

Just picking up the discussion in the last thread regarding whether the RCMP erred in not making clear there had been a double homicide by gun earlier than they did as a matter of public safety. I don’t actually have an opinion on it one way or another as I don’t feel I know enough about why the decision was made or what internal discussions were had on the issue. However, to add some devil’s advocate type thoughts on points already made by others:

-Stranger on stranger gun violence in Canada is not common, and almost unheard of where these crimes happened. The fact that these might have be targeted shootings (love triangle, domestic, drug related etc.) had to have been just as likely, if not more so, than a random dangerous stranger initially.

-There is always going to be a need to balance public safety with the need to not unnecessarily set a large geographic area on edge that may have hours between them and law enforcement assistance. Better safe than sorry is superficially appealing perhaps, but the reality is it’s harder to pull back information than it is to get it out there. I can see police wanting to wait to get the victims ID’d and take a bit of time to try understand the crime before drawing conclusions about risk to public safety. Having people and their long guns in remote areas nervous and jumpy can create its own tragic outcomes.

-There was a CBC article that quoted some guy formerly(?) of York Regional having a degree of incredulity that the BC RCMP had not acted more quickly informing the public of the nature of the homicides. I literally laughed right out loud. Who in the media thought it was valuable to ask somebody with polar opposite policing experience to weigh in on the issue? York Regional polices well more than 1,000,000 people in well less than 2,000 square km in the freaking GTA. I mean, please. It’s hard to imagine this guy knows squat about the considerations of a force in Northern British Columbia.

Anyway, as I said, I don’t feel I can have an informed enough opinion right now, so I don’t have one yet. :). Just a few thoughts on the kinds of things the RCMP may have been weighing.

GTA?

Not sure how to share things from Twitter but Austin Grabish said he was told a stern no when he asked if the medical examiner had any comments. He also said he isn’t expecting an update today or tomorrow.

IMO, KM had started ignoring his parents’ calls/texts (just as BS had started ignoring his father’s calls) and maybe KM thought his parents would soon contact RCMP about their “missing” son (and truck)... perhaps KM/BS(ridiculously) thought the van would escape notice on the road, or maybe their plan was to take that van off-road into a thicket and live in it... that would be a lot more comfortable for them, being super tall and all, than crouching into their own, over-the-can camper shell...
Edited to make it clear that this is my opinion...

What I don't understand is if they burnt every other vehicle they came into contact with(that we know of), why didn't they burn that van too?

What must be so terrible to all the families involved is the fact their much-loved ones did not leave this world surrounded by love and caring. I have thought about this aspect many times and just cannot imagine the pain. It must be far, far worse than the actual absence of them in their lives. I lost my husband to a terrible disease but he was surrounded by love when he passed. That was so vitally important to our family in accepting his leaving us and I feel an essential part of getting through the grieving process. For a parent, the fact one couldn't protect one's child from harm (they never stop being your child) must cause unbearable pain. I look at Chynna's mom and Lucas's dad in awe and admiration. I hope one day they all find the peace they deserve.

So agree with you. I lost my father in a car accident when I was 5. And my sister died after being with hospice 8 years ago. Different story.

What I don't understand is if they burnt every other vehicle they came into contact with(that we know of), why didn't they burn that van too?
Probably because they didn’t use it, and the killings appear to have occurred outside the vehicle.

They might have burned those vehicles to destroy evidence, but there might not have been any to find here.

Maybe they didn’t have a gas can yet (?) Or were so freaked out that they fled the van scene and later resolved that burning would be their new tactic (?)

Robbery seems most likely to me too. Perhaps BS and KM stopped to see if there was petrol to siphon, and during the process woke up the couple, and they were confronted - perhaps looked out the back of the van - confrontation ensued - somebody had/got a gun in their hands and shot out.

I really don't think that a couple of tourists would have a gun. That doesn't make sense - an Australian tourist in Canada obtaining gun. It's not the wild west.

I think that the suspects had a gun. If Kam is the person seen by the witness at 11:30PM, that suggests that Bryer was nearby, perhaps with a gun.

I think the suspects wanted money from Lucas and Chynna, and they decided to murder witnesses so they could continue doing what they wanted for as long as possible. The tourists' belongings were left behind, their ID (presumably their wallets) were taken. Similarly with the Rav4, they could have left the botanist on the side of the road - he would have been thankful to have his life, but they killed him to eliminate a witness.

The Rav4 connected the suspects to the botanist, and it's very likely that ballistics connected the botanist to the tourists.

Not sure how to share things from Twitter but Austin Grabish said he was told a stern no when he asked if the medical examiner had any comments. He also said he isn’t expecting an update today or tomorrow.

Austin Grabish @AustinGrabish
The chief medical examiner's office here in Manitoba has given me a stern 'no comment' when I asked for an update on the autopsies that are expected to be conducted on the bodies of who RCMP believe are Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky. #cbcmb

Mark O'Rourke, the director of the office, told me has no comment today and likely won't have one tomorrow either. It's looking like we're going to have to wait at least a couple of days to get confirmation the bodies are the two suspects.

We're still waiting to hear how the men died and when. It's unclear if the office will be releasing those details. @BCRCMP told me earlier today they will send out a news release if and when IDs are confirmed.

Austin Grabish on Twitter

I provided LE detailed info about the "murders" of Australian tourists Owen Rooney and Alison Raspa in the weeks preceding Lucas Fowler and Chynna Dease murders.

Even if their IDs were missing, the unusual circumstances should have raised suspicion of malice.

Imagine a worst case scenario ... Prof. Dyck was asked to meet someone at the lookout, just as KM/BL was heading down Highway 37.
do the others you reported tie in to this? I am not understanding.

CBC News - https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1583914051800
An interview with the family spokesman for Bryer Schmegelsky his Great Uncle John McNabb gives a good interview
That broke my heart. I don’t even know how you accept Something like this and move on with your life. I am thinking about my son and I’m not sure I could ever believe he was capable of something like that. Especially without getting to talk with him after the fact.

That broke my heart. I don’t even know how you accept Something like this and move on with your life. I am thinking about my son and I’m not sure I could ever believe he was capable of something like that. Especially without getting to talk with him after the fact.

I wish the families had come forward with a strong positive unified voice asking their sons to please turn themselves in and reassuring them that this could be sorted out. The messaging about books being written and parental conflict would have sent them running in the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot