Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s my point - psychological profiles are not created on a lack of knowledge. There’s not one person here that can create a proper psychological profile for either McLeod or Schmegelsky. IMO trying to present a person as fitting within a certain psychological profile, with what little has been said or learned, is risky and at times becomes a little disingenuous.

Ok? Well as I said, if we weren't allowed to speculate and extrapolate and analyze based on the known facts (of which there are many), there would be nothing to talk about on this forum.

In my experience, LE and first-responders are not always exactly honest with you about a violent death. I had an uncle killed in a really bad head-on collision. They lied and told us he died instantly. I think they were trying to be kind. I also wonder if the cousin hasn't been told anything because the widow was since she would be the rightful next of kin and she doesn't want to disclose what was said. If so, I can't blame her. That is her right.
The widow might have been told details about cause of death and choose not care to disclose details to others, including family members. The next of kin might possibly not share information with others who might end up being unnamed sources of information in media reports. If they wish to keep information private they would be wise to limit dissemination.

Also, there is a big difference, I think, between notifying someone regarding cause of death (e.g., gunshot, knife, etc.) which family would eventually know (if only through funeral arrangements) vs. police sharing their various theories of how things might have happened and the degree to which forensic evidence supports any of them. I will be interested in seeing to what degree the law requires coroner and law information to be made public in Canada.

Frankly, I think we are getting increasingly used to seeing crime - including shootings - caught on camera/video and then watching it on CNN which blurs the line between entertainment and a need/right to know.

It’s mentioned many times here about KM’s family being well off. Wondering why then he was driving an old beat up truck with that old style camper?

I don't know what your family is like, but having an older truck with any kind of camper (especially a cabover with stilts) would be considered a magnificent gift by the 18-19 year olds in my family. Any car at all...that would be a grand gift.

There's always a new generation waiting for the beaters, in my family. Newish tires, spacious camper...we'd have to share it among several who would want a trip like the one Kam was planning.

It’s mentioned many times here about KM’s family being well off. Wondering why then he was driving an old beat up truck with that old style camper?
I live not too far from Port Alberni, also in a rural area, and the culture here is that young people have to earn their own way in life. This is definitely not the world of privileged private school kids who get a new sports car for their 16th birthday. That's more common in the urban environment, and back east. And although the family home is in a nice location, that could just mean his parents bought when lots were cheaper, and built their own house.

Last edited:
Well, because it was obviously one of Kam's "trademarks" or gaming accomplishments. People work pretty hard at their characters, in-game. (Often harder than they work in their college classes). I have a student who, for example, decided he was going to be different and use a Swedish accent, which led him to study and do very well in both Swedish and Norwegian. He can read and write in Danish and Icelandic and is currently learning Russian. He is exceptionally good at Nordic languages, at this point, to say the least. He makes friends all over the world, but obviously is better able to communicate with Northern Europeans.

Japanese is very popular too, among gamers. Two gaming women in last year's linguistics class had gotten really good at Japanese and could pass intermediate level tests in Japanese. One had a Japanese (living in Japan) grandparent, a person she had never spoken to until she began learning Japanese for the game(s). Anyway, games can spur young people to learn and do many things that we have a hard time getting them to do in the classroom. :rolleyes:

How interesting! I must say that my interest in hygge has led me to start learning Danish. It's tough. Thanks for this insight into Kam and his Russian accent.

I live not too far from Port Alberni, also in a rural area, and the culture here is that young men have to earn their own way in life. This is definitely not the world of privileged private school kids who get a new sports car for their 16th birthday. That's more common in the urban environment, and back east. And although the family home is in a nice location, that could just mean his parents bought when lots were cheaper, and built their own house.
That's interesting--thank you! I believe I have seen news articles saying the family did build the house. I don't know when.

How interesting! I must say that my interest in hygge has led me to start learning Danish. It's tough. Thanks for this insight into Kam and his Russian accent.
I tried Danish, too, a couple of years ago because of my love for Nordic Noir! :)

BTW, I think it was actually BS who would attempt the Russian accent in gameplay, not KM.

Is it confirmed that they brought their entire gaming computer? I mean that could indicate it wasn't planned, or it could indicate that they intended to get away with it.

It hasn't been confirmed that I know of, still don't have much info on it or who's it was (kinda like how we still don't know who's truck, camper, possible gun had belonged to) I just saw the pictures of some of the burned items found at the location of their first burned truck/camper, and there was a large computer tower. It was a little surprising, I think most of us assumed it was a laptop when we heard a "burned computer" was found at the site.

This is a theory I've been thinking of for motive. Let's say they didn't set out planning to do anything bad necessarily. They took the gun for self defense because we already know Bryer at least had sort of that "militia" mindset and a bit of paranoia. It wouldn't even be considered a bad idea for anyone to bring a gun in a remote area like that. It started off as an adventure -- as far as we know this is the first time the two of them had ever had this level of independence. Maybe they lied to their families about their intended destination just because they wanted that feeling of freedom.

Then during many hours of driving along these remote country roads, just the two of them, they get to talking. They had probably discussed their violent impulses and misanthropy many times before. But now they start talking about "You know, we have this gun, we could kill (or rob, whatever) someone up here and nobody would ever know, it's the middle of nowhere, it would be so easy...." Maybe they even start off joking about it and slowly the conversation gets more serious. They just so happen to come across what they see as an "easy" victim. It doesn't go the way they expected, they freak out, and the rest is history.

Yes this is all certainly another good theory. I think regardless of what their real intentions were when they set off on that trip, it didn't go quite to plan and they did end up freaking out and making very bad decisions. I just don't get a suicidal or even violent vibe from them in that surveillance video, especially not from Kam, but of course that video is not much to go on. I just think either way, things really went sideways for these guys. 5 people dead for absolutely no reason.

jmo.

Please provide a link to the picture with the computer.

I don’t know about anyone else but personally I would like to see admin add the topic of “did police issue public warnings soon enough” or “did police do enough to warn travellers” added to the list of do not discuss.
It become a never ending debate that’s developed no merit as it seems to be reiterated opinions and of course people are bound to hold their own.

It seems a bit odd that people who don't care about current events are suddenly upset that they are unaware of current events. Whose fault is that?

Repeating the opinion that RCMP did not release any information for 36 hours does not make it true. It's still a false claim:

2019-07-16 11:18 PDT

"On Monday July 15 2019, at approximately 7:19 AM Northern Rockies front line officers were called to an area on highway 97 approximately 20 kilometres south of Liard Hot Springs.

Upon attendance police discovered two adults deceased. Both deaths appeared to be suspicious and Northern Rockies RCMP called for assistance from North District Major Crime Unit."​

RCMP in British Columbia - Police Investigate Suspicious Deaths

Prior to the recovery of the bodies the day before yesterday, there was criticism throughout SM, almost ridicule, directed toward the RCMP for wasting their time in and around Gillam because they were too slow, the suspects were already long gone out of there by trains, planes, automobiles, etc. There was also heavy insinuation the ongoing search by the RCMP proved they were more or less inept as they were outsmarted by a 18 and 19 year old. Some of it almost verged on a sort of disturbing “cheering” as this apparent invincible duo was able to avoid capture and police were on a wild goose chase.

Since then we’ve learned that was not true whatsoever. The RCMP obviously had good reason to focus high attention in the Gillam area where the RAV4 was found. The suspects were not brilliant escape artists and their deaths were as foolish and senseless as their three victims.

Just reflecting about SM criticism in general, now turning toward initial police response and does it merely resemble somewhat of a shift....

I’ve wondered about that as well. Why burn the other 2 vehicles but not L&C’s van. Doesn’t make sense to me. Just sayin’...

It doesn’t make any sense either why they didn’t take off after the first two murders. Why hang around for days and then torch their truck. I guess that was the beginning of the cat and mouse chase. It was catch me if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RETI20