Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please no disrespect to any and all but this case seemed off to me from the beginning and to be honest just reading and researching what I could find led me here-and reading pages and pages of posts, opinions and ideas, it still feels off. Meaning nothing in detail has pointed to these are two violent troublemakers with a history of actions that would lead them to kill strangers for no reason then a thrill. Unfortunately many of the things mentioned about these two describe a vast volume of today’s youth. Yes there seem to be some flags, but let’s all be honest with ourselves I am sure every single one of us have a picture, have made a statement , or acted one way or another that would deem us ‘off’ - so building a case with that information just seems like some major components of information is being held back, missing or they just don’t have enough to fill in the blanks.
They are so confident that they have the “accused killers’ and they are deceased why continue to withhold details/?? They no longer are building a case against suspects, there is no damage to be done to the “case” with releasing information- only damage is admitting there are a lot of pieces missing.
I for one still haven’t made a decision to completely jump on board that these two indeed are the killers, I have read or seen absolutely nothing to point me in the direction they are. No one can place them visually with any of the deceased, just in the area, no gun or murder weapon, what actual evidence exist at this point other then speculation and theories. I will be the first to apologize for doubting the people working the case when they can provide me with something more then burned cars.

Then that would mean BS had never once spelled it correctly, at least for my Apple phone. Once I reject auto-correct for any reason, it doesn't correct if I use that name again. Thankfully.

Do Androids not do that?

Androids are all different. Some of them can shut off public emergency alerts. As someone told me, "Yeah, I'm too busy sleeping, so don't disturb me when a tornado is headed for my house, LOL"

I’ve been struck by the failure of journalists to pursue the subject of Bryer Schmegelsky’s Airsoft gun. This post combines, and slightly amends, some earlier comments.

There is an obvious question that the journalist from Australian 60 Minutes, and for that matter other journalists, should have asked Alan Schmegelsky: Do you have the Airsoft gun?

If he has it, one would think that Australian 60 Minutes would show it. If he doesn’t, one would think that the programme would say where Schmegelsky thinks it is and last saw it. It’s possible, of course, that the RCMP have it, but even that would tell us that the Airsoft did not go with Schmegelsky and McLeod when they left Port Alberni.

I also would have thought that the show, or some other journalist, would say what model Airsoft gun it is and show a decent picture of it in addition to the indistinct photo of Bryer Schmegelsky lying on the ground with it.

60 Minutes, presumably speaking of Australian dollars, says that Alan Schmegelsky paid $600 for the gun. That’s CAD540. Less 12% sales tax, that’s about CAD475 or USD375.

I am struck by the fact that Alan Schmegelsky paid that kind of money for one. He is clearly not well off, and that is at the higher end of the Airsoft market. It is overkill for what Alan Schmegelsky says was the purpose, playing around with friends in the woods (about which, more below).

He purchased the gun for Bryer when Bryer was 17. I’m no expert on who Airsoft purchasers are, but I would have thought that a 17 year old would be more interested in learning to use a real gun, especially with that kind of money being spent.

In Alan’s place, I would have encouraged Bryer to join the Port Alberni Fish and Game Club: Alberni Fish and Game Club

This option would have been quite a bit cheaper, and more useful, than paying CAD540 (with tax) for a toy gun. The club’s annual fee is fairly low and it has an active shooting programme. If it’s like my club, it encourages young people, members teach for free and there is probably a club gun that young people can borrow. Bryer could shoot at the club without a gun license, but he would be encouraged to take the gun safety course, which costs about CAD160. This would make it possible to get a full gun license when he turned 18.

In the meantime, with the gun safety course under his belt, he could get a Minor’s License, which would enable him to borrow a gun if he wanted to go target shooting on his own. But the fact is, if you have a gun club membership, target shooting in the woods is not particularly alluring.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but I also wonder whether being in a shooting club environment would have set him on a path different from the one he was on.

Alan Schmegelsky says that he purchased the Airsoft gun so that Bryer could shoot in the woods with his friends. Who are these friends? Do they even exist? As far as I know, not a single person who Bryer Schmegelsky was playing Airsoft games with in the woods, presumably also an Airsoft owner, has been identified or interviewed. In any event, for that purpose paint guns would have made more sense.

Edit: @CanadianMade points out that paint guns are environmentally unfriendly and messy. That may be so, but I know for a fact that neither deters some players in rural areas.

Yep, probably can't spell. May not even be able to write. It's a real problem these days. I have students who want to record lectures, but of course, then they would need headphones to use notes to do a lab exercise later in the class. Which is not permitted.

So...they peer at others' notes and get help. They almost never get their simple sentences written in time to turn in. They are so used to "writing" by talking (and then emailing themselves...)

They have no way of noticing spelling or punctuation errors.
I don't get the impression either of them were avid writers, though I don't know that it means they can't write. I noticed the text I saw from BS on social media pages tended to be brief. KM's Instagram page from a few years ago was riddled with misspellings/wrong words. I know he was only 15 and it was social media, but as a former English teacher, it made me twitchy. :D To be fair, though, it's no worse than what I have seen from family and friends.

Then that would mean BS had never once spelled it correctly, at least for my Apple phone. Once I reject auto-correct for any reason, it doesn't correct if I use that name again. Thankfully.

Do Androids not do that?
I'll defer to those who have said he used voice-to-text. Whenever I or my friends have used it, hilarity ensued :)

Do Androids not do that?

I thought of this aswell. That once you type a word enough - even if it isn't a real word - the phone stops autocorrecting it because it recognizes that it's a word you use often. That's my experience with my Iphone anyways. You'd think if Bryer had typed "Kam" a fair amount of times, the phone would stop autocorrecting it to something else. Maybe Bryer just never cared to correct it to "Kam". Who knows.
jmo.

Please no disrespect to any and all but this case seemed off to me from the beginning and to be honest just reading and researching what I could find led me here-and reading pages and pages of posts, opinions and ideas, it still feels off. Meaning nothing in detail has pointed to these are two violent troublemakers with a history of actions that would lead them to kill strangers for no reason then a thrill. Unfortunately many of the things mentioned about these two describe a vast volume of today’s youth. Yes there seem to be some flags, but let’s all be honest with ourselves I am sure every single one of us have a picture, have made a statement , or acted one way or another that would deem us ‘off’ - so building a case with that information just seems like some major components of information is being held back, missing or they just don’t have enough to fill in the blanks.
They are so confident that they have the “accused killers’ and they are deceased why continue to withhold details/?? They no longer are building a case against suspects, there is no damage to be done to the “case” with releasing information- only damage is admitting there are a lot of pieces missing.
I for one still haven’t made a decision to completely jump on board that these two indeed are the killers, I have read or seen absolutely nothing to point me in the direction they are. No one can place them visually with any of the deceased, just in the area, no gun or murder weapon, what actual evidence exist at this point other then speculation and theories. I will be the first to apologize for doubting the people working the case when they can provide me with something more then burned cars.

No evidence presented to the public yet. Waiting...

The only positive link I have is that the young men had Dyck's vehicle, and even that wasn't confirmed until a couple of days ago.

RCMP crime analysts must have put in crazy hours over the last five days.

As one of the RCMP officers involved in the recovery said, one of the things that they have to rule in or out is the possibility that McLeod or Schmegelsky committed a fourth murder and, if so, which one.

That is not a determination, if that’s where the evidence leads, that the RCMP will make lightly. If this is the scenario, there may be some careful wording around it.

The RCMP must also know that the autopsy reports may become public (they normally aren’t) and that this could lead to second guessing, legitimate or by people with their own agenda. There is a real possibility that Schmegelsky’s autopsy report will be in the hands of journalists within hours of Alan Schmegelsky receiving it, whenever that might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
RCMP have left enough clues to conclude that it is very likely that Dr. Dyck was shot. It would be the most obvious explanation for the 3 murders to be connected. However, the statement from RCMP is that the cause of death of Dr. Dyck will not be released to respect his family.
Prof. Dyck may not have died from the bullet, even if he was shot. This could be true for all 3 victims. We will know in the future.

They must have some sort of evidence to link them to the crimes, especially Leonard Dyck's death since they were charged with his murder, but we don't know what that is yet. They did have his vehicle after he was found deceased. that's quite a red flag. The burned/stolen vehicles, the cross country trip, the ignoring of their families, and then turning up dead four provinces away from where they should've been is all suspicious enough to make most of us assume they were running from something, or up to something shady. It is too bad that we might never know what really happened or why because they can't ever explain themselves now.

Last edited:
Austin Grabish‏Verified account @AustinGrabish
Autopsies complete on bodies found in northern Manitoba, more details expected Monday | CBC News https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bc-fugitive-autopsies-done-1.5243304?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar … #cbcmb
12:57 PM - 11 Aug 2019 pst

Autopsies complete on bodies found in northern Manitoba
Autopsies on two bodies found by police in northern Manitoba during a search for B.C. fugitives Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod are complete, an RCMP spokesperson confirmed Sunday.

No evidence presented to the public yet. Waiting...
I feel like I have to say too, that LE will release info and possibly a hypothesis and that will be based on the information they have at the time and SUBJECT TO CHANGE. The real world is dynamic and the findings from a single piece of evidence found after the press conference could concievably change what LE knows.

That’s the problem with the lack of transparency here; we don’t have any evidence.

That being said, judging by the history of the RCMP, and knowing law enforcement in general, I believe that there is strong evidence to connect these two to all 3 murders.

They’ve already filed charges in the LD case, and that requires evidence.

Burning vehicles and these guys just being there, would not be sufficient.

It was mentioned here that the gun laws in Canada extend to proper weapon storage as well. I wonder if that's one of the reasons why Kam's family is being so quiet: the possibility of culpability because Kam took or was given a firearm for his trip with Bryer.

Are there a lot of pay phones in that part of Canada? They're almost non-existent where I am in the US.

In the first filmed interview, he said Bryer would use voice-to-text, so it was the phone mishearing him and filling in Kim instead of Kam.

I have no idea, never been to BC. But if mobile coverage is not the best, i assume there are still some pay phones left in public areas... or very nice Canadians that let you use their landline.

There is a huge difference between the standards and practices of journalists vs reporters.

Some reporters hate being called journalists. There are too many "citizen journalists". "Journalist" can come across as snooty and falsely important out in the woods. One I knew kept an old pair of glasses with tape on the bridge for some interviews.

Maybe LD died of a heart attack as a result of being held up/shot at by what he would have assumed to be a real gun.
Then there would be no reason for the family to request that RCMP withhold the details. Airsoft is speculation. They probably had acquired a gun illegally.

Edmonton mass murderer Phu Lam used a gun stolen in BC. Toronto Danforth mass murderer used a gun stolen in SK. Gunshops lose many guns in unsolved overnight thefts.

I have no idea, never been to BC. But if mobile coverage is not the best, i assume there are still some pay phones left in public areas... or very nice Canadians that let you use their landline.

Pay phones are rare in cities because drug dealers used them. The phone companies removed them. Someone pointed out that there are pay phones at some highway rest stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl