Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem with that theory is that there would be a risk of the parents noticing that the guns were missing. So I don't see them taking guns from the family home unless, of course, this was a suicide run all along.
if a person has multiple guns they likely don't inventory them daily or even weekly. might not have been noticed gone until they needed to look just to make sure.

Yes that roadside check and those 2 manning it say they searched the vehicle. Those 2 would have been the last 2 guys that KM and BS would have be in contact with before burning the Rav4. How were 2 guns in the vehicle missed in the search? I guess if the guns were pistols they could have been hidden on their person. Hmmm

Probably because it wasn't an extensive roadside check. They just had to open the back door/hatch and the constables had a quick look around, they didn't rip the vehicle apart.

Yes that roadside check and those 2 manning it say they searched the vehicle. Those 2 would have been the last 2 guys that KM and BS would have be in contact with before burning the Rav4. How were 2 guns in the vehicle missed in the search? I guess if the guns were pistols they could have been hidden on their person. Hmmm

I believe "searched the vehicle" means they looked in the windows, one of them on each side.

I think they blew past the check point to give time to hide guns in waist bands, hidden by shirts. It's just a quick check for alcohol and drugs, not like crossing a border where vehicles are searched more carefully. They probably had them tucked away when that gentleman pulled them out of the mud as well.

The full BC RCMP press release, for anyone just now following along -

“The Manitoba Medical Examiner has completed the autopsies and confirmed that the two deceased men located in Manitoba on August 7, 2019 were Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky. Their next of kin have been notified and they have been offered support.

The RCMP can also confirm that the two died in what appears to be suicides by gunfire. While both individuals were deceased for a number of days before they were found, the exact time and date of their deaths are not known. However, there are strong indications that they had been alive for a few days since last seen in July and during the extensive search efforts in the Gillam area.

Police can also confirm that two firearms were also located with the two deceased males and forensic analysis is underway in order to definitively confirm that these weapons are connected with the northern BC homicide investigations. The Manitoba RCMP have completed their search of the area where the two male bodies were discovered, approximately 8 km from where Mr. Dyck’s burnt RAV4 was located on July 22, 2019.

Investigators are now assessing all items located in Manitoba, along with the previous findings related to the three northern BC homicide investigations, in order to gain more clarity into what happened to Leonard Dyck, Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese. The assessment will review all the investigative findings to date, whether it is statements, evidentiary time lines, physical or digital evidence, and the BC RCMP have also have engaged our Behavioural Analysis Unit (BAU).

The BC RCMP commits that once we have completed that review within the next few weeks, we will be providing the families with an update with respect to the totality of the investigations and then releasing the information publicly...”
RCMP in British Columbia - Update – RCMP confirm cause of death and provide update on the Northern BC triple homicide investigations

Thank you for taking the time to post this! It sounds like the answers will be forthcoming, and we just have to be a little more patient.

my point isn't to say anything abut the family. my point is if the guns came from the kam home then that would mean the guys left home with the guns. if they left home with the guns that would remove all of any little doubt that they planned something before they left home. be hard for someone to stage a death using guns from kam home so any doubts of a third party killing them would be removed for me also if they came from the family home.
That's a good point. My question is, do you think the RCMP would release that info if the guns did indeed come from the McLeod home? Or would they withhold that information because someone might be implicated in whatever crime it is to not keep them locked up properly?

while I for the most part agree, I think one other consideration would make an exception to that line of thinking. In rural areas, long guns are protection from wild animals...(eg. grizzlies). If they felt they would be spending time sleeping/camping in the woods on their sojourn, they could very reasonably have taken long guns for that purpose.
Someone else pointed out earlier that maybe they convinced the parents to let them take guns because they were coming up to the Yukon. For bear safety maybe? Pretty much everyone around here has guns (except the city-dwellers who never get out of town!).

Maybe it's the guns that connected KM and BS to the victims after all? After LF and CD were found shot to death and BS and KM were reported missing, IF guns were missing from the McLeod home, the McLeod family would have been obligated to report that to the RCMP. Maybe the RCMP determined that the gun used to kill CD and LF was the same type(s) missing from the McLeod home, and they put two and two together from there.

Seems like a very plausible theory with sound reasoning. It will be interesting to see how close it is once the final report is released.

Makes me wonder if, initially, they were heading out to play a real life version of the game. However, after the killings of Lucas and Chynna, they had huge regrets so they stayed out of sight for a few days trying to decide what to do. They realized there was no going back and they were pretty well screwed, so they took advantage of Len and his RAV4 and high tailed it out of there. While driving all that time through BC to Manitoba they made a pack to each other. Just my thoughts.

It's as good of a theory as any and makes sense to me. I honestly have a hard time wrapping my head around how this whole thing started. Knowing that they had two guns, it shows a level of planning. But why? What was the trigger? I mean, they had started summer jobs at Walmart, from that to murder in a few weeks seems extreme to me.

Hopefully when the full investigation is completed some answers will come out.

Excellent point.

And even if law enforcement didn’t have the weapons to perform ballistics on, the presence of both types of weapons at the crime scene (through ballistics), would be incredibly compelling.

If only one gun was used in that crime, it wouldn’t necessarily mean much, but two guns inflicting those wounds that match the missing weapons, would be huge.

May have been enough to move their status from missing to suspects.

Legally that is. Murderers are considered innocent until convicted by a court of law.
In the court of public opinion, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

What do you make of OJ? Do you think he's innocent because he was found not guilty?

In that case they'll be innocent forever, because this case isn't going to court.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does not extend the right of dead people to be considered innocent. In Canada and other countries including the US, families of dead people cannot even sue for libel or defamation for disparaging or untrue statements made about a dead relative because of Common Law it’s considered one cannot defame a dead person because they’re, well, dead and after death, they have no reputation to protect.

If you’re able to determine otherwise, here’s the link -

Information archivée dans le Web | Information Archived on the Web

Last edited:
Someone else pointed out earlier that maybe they convinced the parents to let them take guns because they were coming up to the Yukon. For bear safety maybe? Pretty much everyone around here has guns (except the city-dwellers who never get out of town!).

If the legal owner of a gun did let them take it, without ensuring they were legal PAL holders, that owner isn’t going to be a legal gun owner for long.

I believe "searched the vehicle" means they looked in the windows, one of them on each side.
Looking into a window of a car wasn't going to find any hidden alcohol in bags or boxes as I seem to remember that's why this checkpoint was up for to catch booze perhaps drugs coming into a dry community. It's not like the 2 guys manning the checkpoint didn't have time not to check as I don't assume there were a lot of cars lined up to come into the community. Gee I wish they had have searched the car and contents more thoroughly :(. JMO

Looking into a window of a car wasn't going to find any hidden alcohol in bags or boxes as I seem to remember that's why this checkpoint was up for to catch booze perhaps drugs coming into a dry community. It's not like the 2 guys manning the checkpoint didn't have time not to check as I don't assume there were a lot of cars lined up to come into the community. Gee I wish they had have searched the car and contents more thoroughly :(. JMO
Or not, could have got them killed really.

Boy oh boy...that is big news. I'm surprised they found two guns next to the bodies. I guess the teens really were guilty of these crimes...and immediate death, in their minds, was the only way out.

Part of me was holding out hope that they didn't commit these crimes. But it now appears they did.

I'm surprised they found two guns next to the bodies
Indeed. Amazing that 2 men wanted for shooting people dead are found with guns. :eek:

Part of me was holding out hope that they didn't commit these crimes

Don't give up hope just yet. Who says their guns were the ones that killed 3 people? :rolleyes:

I think they blew past the check point to give time to hide guns in waist bands, hidden by shirts. It's just a quick check for alcohol and drugs, not like crossing a border where vehicles are searched more carefully. They probably had them tucked away when that gentleman pulled them out of the mud as well.

Well then in that case you are making the assumption they were hand guns, which, while not impossible, would be much less likely taken from the KM family gun rack. More than likely the KM family had long guns, though that's really only speculation. I'm only suggesting that the odds would be in that favour.

I've been through one of these check points and they do a cursory glance, may open a box to make sure alcohol isn't hidden inside but if KM and BS had the weapons tucked into waste bands, covered by their shirts, it wouldn't matter how thorough the car was checked, unless they had a box of ammo laying around in the Rav 4. Or, if they had long guns, maybe laying on the floor of the back seat covered by blanket or sleep bag but not bulky enough to suspect booze.
IMO

Had that been done, there could have been additional fatalities.

I doubt the people doing the search were armed.

I’m surprised that they had 2 guns

Me too, but the series of crimes now becomes comprehensible. The idea that guns are so unavailable in B.C. is also challenged (as many here said, hunting guns are in many homes). Did they steal them? Did someone loan them the guns?

Reserving ammo and keeping the guns dry shows a little planning. I'll be surprised if they had handguns, but not completely shocked.

Whoever these guns trace back to...must be a bit anxious right now.

I'm just very glad that the two guns have been confirmed, even if we don't yet know what type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paolo67