CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In what way is VIA Rail involved? Any word on that?

WSers have already been discussing the rail....I always am glad when we hit on the right topics. (Let's overlook the tangents we go on, lol).

jmo
Somewhere upthread I read that VIA Rail would not sell any tickets in the area less than 24 hours from departure.

When I look for their schedule, the next train out of town is July 28th. And that one goes southwest via The Pas

So I'm going to take a wild guess and say they hopped a train or even boarded one, with fake ID maybe? That is terrifying ebcause our rail goes completely across Canada, and they could end up anywhere.

First Nation can hunt year round so for sure the locals will be driving around with a rifle or 2. Also there is not much to do up there so hunting is main past time. And as hunters any thing out of place will be noticed.
That is great. I like hearing this about noticing something out of place.

Keep safe.

jmo

The national defence act section VI lays out the allowable civic uses of Canadian military.

They can be called to assist during 1. states of emergency (floods, fires, earthquakes etc).

They may also be call upon during a riot.

for any other uses they can not be mandated to respond. The attorney general can request their assistance.

Here is the quote from the National defence act. Part VI Section 276

276 Nothing in this Part shall be deemed to impose liability to serve in aid of the civil power, without his consent, on an officer or non-commissioned member of the reserve force who is, by virtue of the terms of his enrolment, liable to perform duty on active service only.

• R.S., 1985, c. N-5, s. 276
  • R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 60

Our national public safety minister is being interviewed repeatedly these past two days, talking about sharing and moving police resources around in these situations. I would hazard a guess he's intervened to request military assistance.

We have been called in under "Aide to Civil Power" to assist with incidents where risk to the public is deemed high enough or resources in addition to the RCMP have been required. Not often, but it happens.

Search and Rescue;
Forest Fires;
Floods;
Refugees;
Vancouver 2010;
Ant G7 / G20 Summit;
etc

The hunt for serial killer Alan Legere in Miramichi (my home town);
Oka;
FLQ crisis in Quebec etc to name the biggies.

It's rarely done because that obviously isn't our raison d'etre, but it's also reciprocal. We see Civilian Police Force members deployed internationally with us now on UN (United Nations) tours etc; ironicly, the first time civilian police and RCMP were deployed overseas was 1989 to UNTAG Namibia. I was on that tour … while my military buddies at home were all in my hometown doing massive searches through the woods for Alan Legere.

I don't think you'll see any military call out for this situation though as, if the killers are still in the area, it's only a matter of time. They've no where left to go with the perimeter up.

Thank you for your service sir. I am greatly thankful for men and women like you. You ROCK!

Edit: usually lurk but had to write my first message to you.

We have been called in under "Aide to Civil Power" to assist with incidents where risk to the public is deemed high enough or resources in addition to the RCMP have been required. Not often, but it happens.

Search and Rescue;
Forest Fires;
Floods;
Refugees;
Vancouver 2010;
Ant G7 / G20 Summit;
etc

The hunt for serial killer Alan Legere in Miramichi (my home town);
Oka;
FLQ crisis in Quebec etc to name the biggies.

It's rarely done because that obviously isn't our raison d'etre, but it's also reciprocal. We see Civilian Police Force members deployed internationally with us now on UN (United Nations) tours etc; ironicly, the first time civilian police and RCMP were deployed overseas was 1989 to UNTAG Namibia. I was on that tour … while my military buddies at home were all in my hometown doing massive searches through the woods for Alan Legere.

I don't think you'll see any military call out for this situation though as, if the killers are still in the area, it's only a matter of time. They've no where left to go with the perimeter up.

The civil defense allows for the mandating response the the case of emergency (emergencies coordinated by emergency managers) and riots. Other then that request of mutual aid can be made but not mandate a response under Part VI section 276. The FLQ crisis was before the current act and is a huge factor as to why changes were made.

Edited to add. I hope this situation will end soon and a request will not be made. Our military put their lives on the line overseas and deserve the peace of mind when they are home.

Last edited:
Not yet confirmed by Canadian MSM but here it's written in OZ MSM.

Police today confirmed Leonard Dyck was the person gunned down and left on the side of Highway 37 in British Columbia on July 19, four days after Australian man Lucas Fowler, 23, and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese, 24, suffered a similar fate.

Third Canada highway victim identified

Ugh. BS's dad is in such pain.

Not yet confirmed by Canadian MSM but here it's written in OZ MSM.

Police today confirmed Leonard Dyck was the person gunned down and left on the side of Highway 37 in British Columbia on July 19, four days after Australian man Lucas Fowler, 23, and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese, 24, suffered a similar fate.

Third Canada highway victim identified
There’s another news story, in another language, that claims Dease and Fowler were mutilated. Yet eye witness account from the guy hired to keep the scene secure while waiting for investigators to show up recounts only seeing a single mark on the males body. I’m just not sure how accurate the overseas news articles are.

Honestly I can’t help but think they wouldn’t have burned the RAV4 without a plan... not just walking on foot. I think they somehow got a car beforehand that has not been reported as of yet and they’re further away and laying low for now...
Jmo

Total opinion but is there any chance they could have connected with someone in the area online? I'm sure RCMP have access to their online accounts now and would be aware of that though so it's a weak theory.

Smart thinking.

Well, why we await the press conference, I'll take the opportunity to say what a BEAUTIFUL country Canada is. I've enjoyed seeing all the photos and being in awe of the vastness.

jmo

I second that. I love Canada and the Canadian people. I live in the States but once had the pleasure of an extended visit to an area way north of Montreal in the St Lawrence waterway. It truly is a beautiful land and territory.

So happy the world still has beautiful lands like Canada. :)

Somewhere upthread I read that VIA Rail would not sell any tickets in the area less than 24 hours from departure.

When I look for their schedule, the next train out of town is July 28th. And that one goes southwest via The Pas

Can you see any trains out the last few days?

It's possible, but they were still "unknown" as perps when they arrived in Gillam. There was no info that in vehicle released yet. They could've turned around and headed back out without calling any attention to themselves. I don't know if they actually wanted to be in Gillam, but I'm starting to think they did.

jmo
They have "trained" to be survivalists at home, although I would doubt it was very heavy training and likely to be keyed to video games and activities with friends. The father was pretty specific about that. So I think they decided to head to the farthest place they could get driving on a map. Perhaps Len Dyck had some RandMcNalley maps of Canada in his Rav4 or something like that.

I don't remember where the paved road ends on Route 290, but they went a substantial distance on dirt roads in variable degrees of repair to get to Gillam. I believe they knew they were not going to hook up with another superhighway to take them to the east coast of Canada. And I belive their journey beyond Split Lake to Gillam and the Bird area was deliberate, to live out their survivalist fantasy.

Maybe that was the intent but they got spooked and decided to hitchike out of town. I dunno.

Hoping they get captured and located today

CBC News Network confirmed today that VIA Rail is involved in the investigation.

Link was posted earlier this morning where VIA Rail was advising potential passengers that they'd have to book for Winnipeg/Churchill/Winnipeg route 24 hours in advance "to ensure seats".

I suspect there's two reasons for that:
1) These kids wouldn't have access to that bit of info, so would show unannounced for tickets either together or singly, but would still garner extra attention to themself(ves).
2) VIA is involved because they are transporting LE & eqpt into the town and those people would be priority passengers, so no guarantee of a seat for anyone else without the (unusual for this route) 24 hour notice. Probably lots of media trying to get into town as well.

I truly believe LE does not know where they are. If the RCMP KNEW for certain that they were in the Gilam Manitoba area then why would the Ontario Provincial Police issue a public alert?

Seems precautionary

Northwestern Ontario OPP have issued a public safety alert as a national search continues for two British Columbia murder suspects last seen in Manitoba, and believed to be travelling eastward.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/opp-murder-suspects-1.5223603

There is also a severe thunderstorm predicted for Gillam this afternoon. If they are in the woods they are in for quite the day.

edit: 4 days of rain predicted.
Funny I was just thinking early this morn I wish there'd be a big rainstorm so as to make it harder for these 2 to get around in the wilderness (if they're still in the wilderness). But it also makes it harder for dogs to track them in those conditions unfortunately :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor