CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
since 9/11 you've had to show ID to purchase prepaid mobile or data kits that involve a mobile/cell phone number
"had to" is a loose concept. Burner phones arnt impossible to get without personal details and wouldnt necessarily be highly suspicious in the moment. Where I live you "cant" buy cigarettes under 21 or buy/sell individual cigarettes. But I see young teens buying singles all the time soooo....
Also just a thought they could have gotten these phones at any point maybe months ago.
tho thats just speculation, is there any reason (beyond them being 19-18) to think they even have phones at all? I could see teens just thinking any cell can be easily traced and ditching them altogether

nope almost world wide barring a few countries, basically made it easier to track purchases in case we had another 9/11 type situation

I guess I have purchased a few that wasn't legal then. store was happy to take my cash and each has worked just fine. didn't even have to talk to a person to activate or add min.

I guess I have purchased a few that wasn't legal then. store was happy to take my cash and each has worked just fine. didn't even have to talk to a person to activate or add min.

that's crazy there suppose to copy down your ID when you purchase then again when you activate, its like anything people don't follow everything to the letter but it makes peoples jobs harder when they don't
so what did you supply to activate nothing? just popped in any old address and bought credit?

What they did after high school, leaving to find work, is what tens thousands of canadians from small towns do. It takes a canadian 18 years to reach the age of majority and finish high school, those that don't go onto post secondary join the work force. It takes the average worker twice as long to reach retirement age. Therefore, unless the town is doubling the number of jobs on a consistent basis, those young people have to go look for work elsewhere.

It creates this kind of work tourism economy in Canada. People travel all over Canada for work. When the oil patch grew they all went there, now that its kind of plateaued/collapsed they are going up to the yukon for lumber/mining work, its especially popular because of what you see on TV these days.

Most infrastructure and construction jobs you work in the north, like the one in gillam, and the trans canada improvements, are staffed with people from small towns all over Canada.

What these two did up until the point they started intending and committing murder was completely normal for a small town Canadian.

I agree with this analysis, but in my experience there’s a network around these jobs that these two didn’t have access to.

If half of Newfoundland’s male teenagers who didn’t finish high school wound up at Fort McMurray (oil sands) it’s because they were being helped by other Newfoundlanders who were already there. Why did they go? Because a kid without high school can make serious money instead of Walmart or McDonalds minimum wage. Some of the kids that I know who did this (kids of people where my Newfoundland summer home is) parlayed it, with the addition of company paid training, into international jobs where 24 year olds are making US$150,000/year tax free.

Kids like McLeod and Schmegelsky probably dream of this, but have no way of realizing that dream. The support just isn’t there. Listen to Schmegelsky’s father, and it isn’t hard to understand how adrift it appears his kid is.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's crazy there suppose to copy down your ID when you purchase then again when you activate, its like anything people don't follow everything to the letter but it makes peoples jobs harder when they don't
so what did you supply to activate nothing? just popped in any old address and bought credit?
tracfone has never ask. I followed the directions. I haven't tried to get around any system or law. I had no idea id was needed until a few min ago. I give the store money and I get my phone or min card. that is it. then I go online and add the min to my phone number. you can add min to any phone number.

What if they were robbing the van not realizing Fowler and his girlfriend were just a short distance away, and they found a rifle belonging to Fowler that was stashed in the van. In the meantime while they were rummaging through the van Fowler came up from behind surprising them and that’s when the rear window was blown out, Fowler and Deese were shot/injured which made Fowler and his girlfriend begin running away - resulting in their final positions in the grass to the side of the van.

There’s so many scenarios, but only what happened really matters, unfortunately it’s something that might never be revealed.

Lucas and Chyanna were almost certainly sleeping in the van, in pajamas, just to avoid the insects. If they were sleeping outside, there would be traces of their tent pegs at least.

It is very unlikely that Lucas would have taken a rifle or shotgun on this trip. Probably only bear spray and noise makers.

I agree with this analysis, but in my experience there’s a network around these jobs that these two didn’t have access to.

If half of Newfoundland’s male teenagers who didn’t finish high school wound up at Fort McMurray it’s because they were being helped by other Newfoundlanders who were already there. Why did they go? Because a kid without high school could make serious money instead of Walmart or McDonalds minimum wage. Some of the kids that I know who did this parlayed it into international jobs where 24 year olds are making US$150,000/year tax free.

People like McLeod and Schmegelsky probably dream of this, but have no way of realizing that dream. The support just isn’t there.
Network for getting the job is likely correct.I've known lots of people who up and left Ontario to go look for work out west, especially in the oil patch. Most of them had absolutely no connections, and never got jobs there, a couple came home, one worked in a hotel in banff, one in calgary, another joined the forces and eventually served in afghanistan, at least two became waitresses. A couple found work in the oilpatch tho, and one in saskatchewan, and made the big bucks. Its the idea of the grass being greener on the other side, not just knowing someone already there.

If KM&BS actually made it anywhere they may have been faced with similar closed doors, and it may have only served to further disillusion them.

Last edited:
Lucas and Chyanna were almost certainly sleeping in the van, in pajamas, just to avoid the insects. If they were sleeping outside, there would be traces of their tent pegs at least.

It is very unlikely that Lucas would have taken a rifle or shotgun on this trip. Probably only bear spray and noise makers.

Do we know if they were murdered at night or when it was dark out though? As I understood, they had been picnicing beside their broken down van on the side of the road, waiting for the engine to unflood, and told a couple that stopped to help exactly that and were found deceased by someone else not too long after. Just wondering if someone can clarify, I was under the impression it was daytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vee97