CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A road worker saw them alive at 11:30 pm. It would be getting dark then, though not very dark at this latitude and time of year. They were discovered dead and cold early in the morning (all discussed and backed up with news articles by others much earlier in threads). These facts suggest they were murdered sometime around as dark as it was going to get and in a timeframe where they would likely be sleeping.

Thanks for this! Clears some things up. Poor Lucas and Chynna, they were sadly easy targets for cowardly killers imo.

In my distant past, I sold cellphone plans and minute cards. We were not asked to collect id for the minutes. Maybe my stores didn't feel it was necessary or maybe the rules have been locked down since. Just sharing that it wasn't a thing (at least in the 3 rogers stores that I worked in) at least from roughly 2003 till 2008ish.

i am shocked truly; we had to show ID when buying and then activating prepaid phones since 2006 and iv had to show ID in various countries iv traveled to pick up sims before
its crazy in 2019 you can walk in buy a prepaid mobile/cell and walk out activate it no credit card nothing to tie it back to your person and then if you did something like this thread they'd literally have no way of knowing anything about your phone
that is crazy to me

I think we can sometimes attribute too much intelligence to criminals. I believe that's because they're egregiously transgressive, and we struggle to understand such horrific behavior. What they do is unfathomable, and we sometimes incorrectly perceive depth among the shallows. It's well documented that criminals, especially violent ones, tend to have lower intelligence than the general population, but popular mythology, including Hollywood product, peddles the fiction that they're masterminds. If their minds are different, it might be because they are more primal rather than deeper.
I guess it depends on who’s theory you agree with this is an interesting article on IQ’s of serial killers .. the uninomber and Dahmer are especially intersting . Serial Killers with Abnormally High IQs

Do we know how many rounds of ammunition they have with them?

The police know if one of them has a gun license and purchased ammunition legally. The police also probably know if Mr. Dyck or Mr. Fowler had a gun and probably what they would have as ammunition. As an Australian, it is extremely unlikely that Mr. Fowler had a gun of his own, but it is possible that he borrowed one from the ranch that he was working at.

The RCMP are saying nothing publicly about guns and probably won’t.

View attachment 195190

Oh geeze! They keep slipping thru.

Here is the image from your link
That's very interesting. Seems like they encountered a man by himself and he lived to tell the tale. Wonder if the fact he was a resident made them reluctant to kill him--he'd be easier to identify quickly--or if the fact they were stuck and needed assistance made the difference. I'm thinking, as has been speculated on here, that they might have had quite a bit of trouble with that Rav4 on the roads they were on. Maybe that's why they abandoned it when they did, before they were named suspects.

Do we know if they were murdered at night or when it was dark out though? As I understood, they had been picnicing beside their broken down van on the side of the road, waiting for the engine to unflood, and told a couple that stopped to help exactly that and were found deceased by someone else not too long after. Just wondering if someone can clarify, I was under the impression it was daytime.

Lucas and Chynne were seen by several road workers, they were engaged in conversation with another male person at approximately 11:30PM. They were discovered deceased early the following morning.

They were testing the waters. A huge huge risk, with very little payoff, as you can see, they walk out with not very much, and that lifted, but for them, the risk had all the elements necessary to motivate. Sheer excitement, an up-yours to Canada in general , a re-enforcing of their bond and an uptick to their invincibility.

The payoff had to be emotional. It certainly wasn't tangible, or material.

What has stopped them from continuing to kill? if, in fact, it has stopped, which is debatable.

Something has, I wonder what it is? Their own death, a high probability, or.. they have found something else to deliver the required thrill.

The payoff had to be emotional. It certainly wasn't tangible, or material
Very interesting thought.

Based on the window being broken out from the inside, I picture they were killed inside the van after having been awakened from sleep, then dragged from the van and left outside... :(

None of this makes sense, of course, but I guess that means they may have been sleeping - and then pulled out so the van could be ransacked.

From Zach Laing, Calgary Postmedia reporter, re: sighting of suspects last Sunday—
BREAKING: Mounties in Cold Lake, Alta. say Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod were spotted in the Cold Lake area last Sunday around 9:30 a.m.. A resident saw a Toyota Rav-4 stuck on a trail behind their residence with two younger males outside it.

2. The resident assisted the pair in getting unstuck before they continued on "after a short, unremarkable interaction," Mounties say. The resident didn't realize who the men were until later that evening when they recognized the pair on social media. #Canadamanhunt

zach laing on Twitter

ETA: Sorry, Gardenista! I posted before seeing your post of the statement.

Last edited:
No, they haven't released anything about the weapon being used. It could be a match lock musket circa 1650 for all we know

Michael Zehaf-Bibeau drove from BC to ON, stayed at the Ottawa downtown shelter, and somehow acquired a vintage Winchester rifle from QC. Then he killed a soldier and went inside Parliament building. RCMP still don't know the owner of the gun.

My point is that they could have acquired some type of gun from someone in AB or BC. I doubt it is very fancy, and they may have used up all bullets.

Thanks for this! Clears some things up. Poor Lucas and Chynna, they were sadly easy targets imo.
I should note they were seen alive talking to someone, possibly in a confrontational manner at 11:30 pm. It’s possible that someone is related to the murder, but I doubt it at this point based on available information (vehicle description doesn’t seem likely to be one the current suspects were driving, and there are innocent explanations for what the road worker saw as a confrontation). But it’s not ruled out either to my knowledge. Maybe one of the suspects was seen there and they were murdered shortly after.

tracfone has never ask. I followed the directions. I haven't tried to get around any system or law. I had no idea id was needed until a few min ago. I give the store money and I get my phone or min card. that is it. then I go online and add the min to my phone number. you can add min to any phone number.

So you could be tracked by your IP address, right?

Based on the window being broken out from the inside, I picture they were killed inside the van after having been awakened from sleep, then dragged from the van and left outside... :(
If you look closely at the front right side of the van there are evidence cones at the front right bumper (shell casings). It would make sense that the right passenger window was down a bit and as they woke them a shot was fired, missing them and shattering the rear window. To which they forced them out the sliding door not far from where they were found. The fear and shear shock must have been tremendous. And the fact they didnt take any of the clothing from the van goes to show you how naive they truly are.

I agree. They do appear about the same height. One thing I noticed. Another poster mentioned that they did not appear to purchase anything. Perhaps not, but as someone who has worked retail for many years, I have a hunch that BS had just shoplifted something immediately before coming into camera view, as he is already fiddling with his shirt buttons when we first see him, quite likely, imo, buttoning his shirt back after slipping something inside. Absolutely no clue what it may have been, however. JMO

Yep, just said the same thing a few comments ago. Some folks are debating what he's doing, but it's clear as day to me. He's doing up his buttons. Draw from that what you will.

I agree. They do appear about the same height. One thing I noticed. Another poster mentioned that they did not appear to purchase anything. Perhaps not, but as someone who has worked retail for many years, I have a hunch that BS had just shoplifted something immediately before coming into camera view, as he is already fiddling with his shirt buttons when we first see him, quite likely, imo, buttoning his shirt back after slipping something inside. Absolutely no clue what it may have been, however. JMO

And for the level of risk, it must have been something terrifically significant.

At this point, they know this may be their very last excursion into a store in the western world. They know they are hunted and wanted, they know they are murderers and murderers of a police man's son, always a very silly mistake, murderers of a woman, and everyone knows and the RCMP is on their case with all it's tech and personnel and equipment.

So they stroll in, and stroll around , and steal a very , very small thing. And slowly stroll out.

It's not ammo, it's not food, it's not pharmaceutical, it's not a mechanical part.... what would you steal on your last foray into a store in the middle of nowhere ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalo13