CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your question is an excellent one IMO!

I am shocked as a non Canadian that local citizens would be satisfied with stale info that is 4 days old and press briefings from RCMP that share no actionable information to keep people safe. In most countries citizens would be in an uproar over this type of treatment from law enforcement that is charged with keeping citizens safe.

I know RCMP has a reputation of always getting their man/person but the level of information provided by RCMP communications staff since this situation started hasn't really been designed IMO to keep citizens aware or at all safe. Even the press in Canada has been passive IMO on the topic of information sharing. We saw these 2 suspects traverse through 3 provinces without a peep really to alert the locals that danger was in their midst. Will we next see the 2 perps walking around Times Square in NYC wearing I love NY tees?

I understand placing trust in law enforcement but I guess I'm not seeing RCMP providing the citizens of Canada much actionable data other than to stay alert and report anything you see. I realize the area involved in enormous but I truly find it hard to believe with the resources available that better information cannot be provided to the locals to keep them safe.
I agree with all this. But as of now - in Gillam, they are demonstrating how they are keeping the locals safe. In a major way! I wonder tho if Manitoba Hydro didn’t have such a large presence/impact there if they would have invested the resources to Gillam.

That’s not accurate. Media covered the murders before the LD was killed.
Yes, but with very little information. Look how long it took for RCMP to even classify the crime as 'gun violence'? How tough of a call could that have been with the nature of the wounds and casing no doubt found at the scene? It was this delay in info where I truly expected locals to start demanding more information but neither the locals nor the press seemed to push hard back against the RCMP with the exception of a couple of reporters at the second press briefing.

so it wouldn't just be left there to rot? because they said its vacant, would be interesting to know if someone is keeping it you know in aervice
thanks for the information
No, they likely have someone checking on them. They are most often trailers. Often mega contractors will do that, they will rent/lease the space from whomever owns the land, or some get sold to other contracting companies......oil & gas industry, road construction, hydro projects and other. It would not surprise me if with the enmasse of people into Gillam and area, some may be currently used for the police enforcement and other people involved in the search as a 'command center' or if anything a bed to get some rest and eat. Most camps have big kitchens etc. These police also need to eat and sleep and there are only one or 2 tiny motels in Gillam.

I agree with all this. But as of now - in Gillam, they are demonstrating how they are keeping the locals safe. In a major way! I wonder tho if Manitoba Hydro didn’t have such a large presence/impact there if they would have invested the resources to Gillam.
Hate to say it but probably not! But I'm an outsider and perhaps the locals could weigh in on the question. To see those military folks arrive today was something but I'm not sure they were there to protect the good people of Gillam. MOO

Anywhere between Cold Lake, Alberta and Gillam, Manitoba they could have jacked another car. I bet the people of Meadow Lake even leave keys in their vehicles, or did.
There was an article yesterday, the Globe and Mail I think, that said people knowingly keep their vehicles and cabins unlocked because of inclement weather or bears in an effort to help each other. The article also said that it's understood and accepted that people may come in your cabin and take what they need, so the guys would have access to anything they came across before it was public knowledge they were in the area.

To me it seems obvious that they received 3rd party help at the time they torched the SUV. They hopped in someone's vehicle and were driven to a 'safe house'. They are in someone's basement right now eating Cheerios and watching UFC 240.

Whether the 3rd party is a friend or if they received help from family, it could be either. I see no reason to believe that they would march off into the bush. They were able to contact someone, and tonight they're reading my post saying to each other, "finally one of these websleuths has caught on."

What does hiding like cowards in somebody’s basement solve? The RCMP isn’t going to throw up their hands and forget about these two even if search efforts in Gillam are of no avail. They’ve not only allegedly taken the lives of three others but ruined their own futures.

I don't give a lot of weight to Dad's claim that Bry and Kam 'trained' themselves in 'warfare' and 'survivalist' stuff.. Sure, they might have tottered out , bored witless , to fill in some hours, and play in the woods, but they left, and came home to each night a hot meal , a bed of their own, blankets, cold and hot drinks on tap and a hot shower and clean folded clothes from Mum's/ Grans laundry.
I don't either. I think that is wishful thinking from a desperate, grieving man. I think they may well have some camping experience, but that hardly makes them seasoned woodsmen. And if there's one thing I have learned from this thread is that camping in northern Manitoba is a very different experience from camping where they lived!

This is standard operating procedure for the RCMP. They keep information very close to the vest during investigations so as to "not jeopardize the integrity of the investigation." The public generally only finds out the details when the case goes to trial, and the details are revealed in open court.
Yes that is true. But too much info was kept from the public at first. When two armed delusional pretend GI Joes are in your back alley, would you not have liked some info on them and a warning before hand?

Hate to say it but probably not! But I'm an outsider and perhaps the locals could weigh in on the question. To see those military folks arrive today was something but I'm not sure they were there to protect the good people of Gillam. MOO

The military are there to take aerial photographs. That’s what the Hercules is for. The Minister, Ralph Goodale, said specifically yesterday that the military was being brought in as an air resource.

Just how much news about themselves would these guys be getting realistically? Wasn’t it four days before the original killing was announced? The most likely news source would be if they kept tuning the radio to different stations as they travelled. After four days of non relevant news, would they be as vigilant? When would they most likely have discovered they were wanted? That they said their names in Cold Lake suggests they weren’t aware they were in the news.

What does hiding like cowards in somebody’s basement solve? The RCMP isn’t going to throw up their hands and forget about these two even if search efforts in Gillam are of no avail. They’ve not only allegedly taken the lives of three others but ruined their own futures.

It prolongs 'the adventure'.

I'd be surprised if they had help, maybe there was a gaming buddy, but if they got out I'm guessing it was a stroke of luck and they've found an empty cabin somewhere. I don't put much faith in their outdoorsmen skills after hearing the bogged Rav4 report.

Just how much news about themselves would these guys be getting realistically? Wasn’t it four days before the original killing was announced? The most likely news source would be if they kept tuning the radio to different stations as they travelled. After four days of non relevant news, would they be as vigilant? When would they most likely have discovered they were wanted? That they said their names in Cold Lake suggests they weren’t aware they were in the news.
Ummm the Cold Lake incident, please don’t get me going on that lol

The guy that helped them was in cold lake Alberta and took place the day before they were spotted in Gillam. One thing I think a lot of people are overlooking is how quick this escalated and if the two boys are in charge of their own destiny here and if video games are giving them the ideas or “training” then they are likely already thinking two steps ahead. They may have realized leaving bodies on the side of the road was to reckless. Nothing to say they haven’t kidnapped someone and their vehicle therefore no stolen vehicle being reported. Up in that part of the country it would not be hard to find a loner or hermit type that would make an excellent target. Just a nickel’s worth of thought. I just don’t see why these two would have torched the Rav all of a sudden or at all for that matter.

I agree. Kidnapped someone, or even killed someone and have learned now that leaving someone on the side of the road is leaving a trail. I also agree about torching the RAV4, it wasn't necessary, they easily could have driven it or even pushed it into the bush and it would have been well hidden.

I want to welcome you and all our new Canadian members to Websleuths! As well as other new members that have joined to follow :) I have been here for years, and it's different to be discussing area's that are so close to home. Canada is such a large country and it's nice to see that we are able to share some of what our great country has to offer and just how beautiful it is (when not searching for 2 murderers). I know it's renewed my interest in travelling up North and across country, we have so much to see!

So, just speculation here, but if that mans account from the Facebook post where he helped the two in their rav4, that would mean they were both together in the same vehicle in gillam. The day after, the vehicle was torched. That would mean they did not have a second vehicle prior to arriving in gillam and that if they were to steal a vehicle, it would have been reported because the town is so small. This leads me to believe that they are still in gillam.
The twitter report in which a person claimed to have seen one young white man near Gillam hitch hiking is intriguing. The person of course didn't identify the young man as McLeod or Schmegelsky only that it was odd to see a solitary young white guy in a remote mostly first nations area. To my mind it does reveal other plausible scenarios in which a new vehicle is the goal, so one of them hitch hikes with the intent of carjacking, while the other follows in the rav4....

Further to my previous post, I hope that when this is over we hear an explanation from the RCMP of why a shooter on a highway is considered "holdback", and why the Canadian public was not told. Maybe the RCMP can explain this to the family of LD, too.

It is a good thing the NSW police did not see it this way, because that is how we found out. The RCMP had to reveal this information once it was already out. We were not supposed to know, but it was too late.

This information did not break out in mass media beyond B.C. until the day after LD was found. The fact of shootings was later still.

It is quite possible to reveal that someone is shooting people on the Alaska highway, and to urge caution, without waiting days for identification, etc. The relevant part in the short term is to warn people to be cautious. This was not done.

Perhaps I feel differently about this than people who do not know those who could have been in jeopardy along the routes they took through two of the provinces. This is MOO. I expect we'll see a lot more stories in the media asking the same questions when this is over. Stakeholders, i.e., us, have a right to ask and get answers. Why?

I can understand holdbacks to the general public IF the victims knew their attacker(S) but this situation was pretty clear that this was not the case. The lack of warning proved to quickly and easily target another innocent person.

To me it seems obvious that they received 3rd party help at the time they torched the SUV. They hopped in someone's vehicle and were driven to a 'safe house'. They are in someone's basement right now eating Cheerios and watching UFC 240.

Whether the 3rd party is a friend or if they received help from family, it could be either. I see no reason to believe that they would march off into the bush. They were able to contact someone, and tonight they're reading my post saying to each other, "finally one of these websleuths has caught on."

I have wondered too if they never left Meadow Lake and had someone else drive the Rav to Gillam and torch it. Were they actually seen at Gillam or just the Rav? JMO

All of that is possible, but why go through ALL this trouble just to hang out in someone's basement? Not to be crude, but what's the fun in that for these guys (other than the ongoing manhunt). Everything just seems like A LOT of trouble to go through just to hideaway in someone's basement. But, who knows?

Law enforcement believes if they did receive help, it was done unwittingly.

We know of no connection that these two have to that particular area, so setting up some sort of preplanned escape seems unlikely IMO.

I don’t believe anyone is currently helping them evade capture.

There's no way these guys are able to evade the RCMP for almost a week on their own. This isn't a movie. The only way they torch their car is because there's another. With no sign of them stealing a vehicle, it means they are using one or riding in one with permission. No further sightings and with them probably having no more money means they are holed up someplace. Probably someplace comfortable. This would most likely mean they are being housed by the same person that helped them get away from Gillam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams