CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a torched car gone wrong, I am sure that burning a car 75k from civilization was planned thinking no one would find it. They had to destroy it, it was evidence against them, it could not have been "left" They were destroying fingerprints and DNA. Same thing they did to their own vehicle, they had a lot of time to scheme on that long drive across Canada, Kids like to burn things.

They may have been 75Km from the "civilization" that is Gillam, MB but they were only a couple of Km from some of the First Nation homes around Sundance. I also think it was a relatively clear day. If they had known the weather, they should have waited for the foggy or rainy days that were just around the corner. A serious miscalculation if they thought they were going to be able to conceal it

I can't help thinking how lucky was the guy and his wife who pulled over and spoke to Lucas and Chynna as the bonnet on that van was up. Was told that everything was ok, just a flooded cylinder so they went on their way. One way the two boys could have used to get Leonard Dyck to stop is to park and raise the bonnet.... I know there are reports he was already stopped and off the road but I'm not sure anyone really knows. Of course another way to get someone to stop is to pretend to be hitch hiking, again, we just don't know.

I grew up in outback Australia, far western Qld and it was common for people to always check if they saw a car or truck pulled over. Always wave or tip the hat when passing. In recent times I have visited the area and things have changed a lot. It is still remote but nobody pulls over and checks anymore and often don't even wave as you pass. These sorts of attacks harm society in lots of ways and helping each other in remote locations is but one. Kinda like how we used to not lock our doors and now you are crazy if you don't.

Last edited:
So seems like they wanted to be considered” missing “ in the beginning. Why? Because now with them being “quiet” they seem to have what they wanted in the first place. Which would be “missing, not found” JMO
Interesting. Also Chynna and Lucas were murdered sometime Sunday night Monday morning. And then young men stayed in the area for 4 days all the way till Thursday Friday? Can't remember exactly which day. But anyway why would they stay in the area for 4 days? I think they were watching the police and watching the scene . Like some criminals 'go back to the scene of the crime' & watch the crime scene. It's part of their KiCK.

ADMIN NOTE:

We do not like being heavy handed but the last thread became so rife with rumor that we are having to take this action.

There is now a ZERO tolerance in place in this case for rumor posts. Members introducing rumors will be subject to a minimum 7 day thread reply ban.

MSM and LE social media accounts (comments by the reporter or LE official) are allowed. Comments or images by the general public are not allowed.

If you aren't sure if a source is allowed, contact a Mod or Admin to ask rather than posting it and risk being banned from posting on the thread.
Bump. I don’t want to see the thread shut down again,

There is no outrage in Canada because Canadians actually understand the terrain and the size of the country.

If American news outlets aren’t all over this, it’s because they are preoccupied with Trump and two American teenagers who have allegedly killed a cop in Italy, neither of these being stories that require trying to find people in a vast wilderness. Besides, American journalists probably find a free trip to Rome more enticing than a free trip to Gillam.

The RCMP haven’t brought in “help” from US and Australian police because the RCMP know more about what they are dealing with in terms of geography, have the resources they need, can draw on more resources if needed (there are 110o RCMP officers in Manitoba alone), and because of one other small matter - foreign police have no jurisdiction in Canada, any more than Canadian police have jurisdiction in the US or Australia.

But hey, bring in Crocodile Dundee, who no doubt will sort this out in a jiffy :)
This^^^^^^ @rrstren you nailed it!!! Thanks!

northern-bc-double-homicide-bryer-schmegelsky-and-kam-mcleod.jpg

(Image from July 23 CBC article)

No big deal but I notice the driver of the Rav4 could have a white t-shirt on. In the Meadow Lake pic of them in the store, Schmegelsky is wearing a white t-shirt under his camo jacket, while McLeod is just in the black t-shirt.

It's not really significant, but could mean that although BS doesn't have a licence he could be doing some of the driving.
Good find, sillybilly.....By the way, Harmony just told me that you were in charge of bringing coffee and donuts to this thread.....I like the ones with sprinkles...:).......moo

The young men last Friday. The young couple left Saturday. So they both ended up on the same highway headed north. The young couple stopped and got gas at Fort Nelson. So somewhere along the line between when they both entered the Alaskan Highway North the two groups might have met up. Perhaps even at the gas station. And I know there was video of the gas station but maybe they met before the gas station or after the gas station stop. So the two groups made of got friendly. And then when Lucas and China broke down and we're on the side of the road.... Kam and Bryer may have shown up at night time. They could have had their truck parked somewhere along the bush and went by foot to the van.
Perhaps they were 'stalking' the couple.
I can't remember if I read anywhere about any blood in the van but the window was shot from the inside out word. So maybe the two young men were in the van with Chynna and Lucas. And then it went down.

I don't recall getting it any information prior to what both sets of people were doing before the murder scene. Other than the video of Chynna and Lucas at the gas station. But what about Kam and Bryer since they left Port Alberni?
I can't see where the information about the van window being shot from the inside out has been made available?

There is no outrage in Canada because Canadians actually understand the terrain and the size of the country.

If American news outlets aren’t all over this, it’s because they are preoccupied with Trump and two American teenagers who have allegedly killed a cop in Italy, neither of these being stories that require trying to find people in a vast wilderness. Besides, journalists probably find a free trip to Rome more enticing than a free trip to Gillam.

The RCMP haven’t brought in “help” from US and Australian police because the RCMP know more about what they are dealing with in terms of geography, have the resources they need, can draw on more resources if needed (there are 110o RCMP officers in Manitoba alone), and because of one other small matter - foreign police have no jurisdiction in Canada, any more than Canadian police have jurisdiction in the US or Australia.

But hey, bring in Crocodile Dundee, who no doubt will sort this out in a jiffy :)
All I can say is that I hope you are correct and that the RCMP has it all under control!

If you as a citizen are satisfied with the level of communication and information disclosure from RCMP then what outsider has the right to question the situation. As an outsider looking in the information flow it in general seems 'a day late and a dollar short' as it relates to public safety. MOO!

For me, all I will remember is how long it took for RCMP to put out to the public that it was dealing with a situation of 'gun violence' when it is highly likely that the assessement was made by the coroner as soon as the bodies were examined. Why the sensitivity about 'gun violence'? The Press Officer even seemed a bit hesitant when talking about the idea of 'gun violence'. Does 'gun violence' not exist in Canada?

Shouldn't unknowing tourists and local citizens have been made aware of the 'gun violence' situation in short order rather than being left to guess what happened?

Of course the territory is vast and Of course RCMP have extensive experience and knowledge dealing with the terrain but I find it hard to believe that the resouces of others cannot be used to assist in what is proving to be a very difficult and challenging manhunt. Resource sharing amongst LE happens frequently in complex cases and I'm curious to see if this case heads into Ontario whether things might change in terms of approach. But based on what you have said, probably nothing will be altered by the RCMP in terms of strategy and resources.

MOO

Last edited:
I have been trying to find this out for a while. Were they actually "seen" in Gillam? We are told there were "two sitings" but where? Both of them torching the Rav4 makes no sense. I think it was a decoy and they have long since gone with their accomplice who "inadvertently" drove them out of the area, or drove into the area alone specifically to torch the vehicle. JMO

Wasn't one sighting about backpacks left on the ground?

"Blaze of glory". "48 hours". A route that could have included the WAC Bennett Dam near Hudson's Hope, where Lucas and Chynna started their journey, and the Site C dam under construction near Fort St. John on the Alaska Highway. Murders, then on to Gillam, Manitoba, and three more dams. Are you sensing a pattern here?

In the meantime, police have forensically examined their internet footprint and computers back home. "48 hours" and "blaze of glory" is pretty specific. And then, silence from AS.

Meanwhile, a massive ground search and the military brought in for an air search. This is unprecented in scale in Canadian history.

The 48 hours have come and gone. Something went wrong with the plan. But it wasn't because they didn't try.

We have been missing the point here, and the point is...

Last edited:
What does it solve? What does trekking off into the bush with winter around the corner solve? No one said the RCMP were going to give up.
Let's see... Something went bad in BC, people got killed for whatever reason. Can't change the past so what do you do going forward? To me getting 3rd party help hiding away in someone's house until you figure out the next move would be great deal. So if I were able to make contact with someone who I thought maybe would help, that's what I'd do. Sure beats any alternative I can think of.
Do they have basements in Gillam? I don’t think these guys make friends that easily.

Good find, sillybilly.....By the way, Harmony just told me that you were in charge of bringing coffee and donuts to this thread.....I like the ones with sprinkles...:).......moo

Harmony is just trying to shirk her responsibilities. Will have a word with her ;)

In the meantime ..

giphy.gif

Coffee is perking and will take a while.

If American news outlets aren’t all over this, it’s because they are preoccupied with Trump and two American teenagers who have allegedly killed a cop in Italy, neither of these being stories that require trying to find people in a vast wilderness. Besides, American journalists probably find a free trip to Rome more enticing than a free trip to Gillam.

The RCMP haven’t brought in “help” from US and Australian police because the RCMP know what they are dealing with in terms of geography, have the resources they need, can draw on more resources if needed (there are 110o RCMP officers in Manitoba alone), and because of one other small matter - foreign police have no jurisdiction in Canada, any more than Canadian police have jurisdiction in the US or Australia.

This. I live in a Northern Ontario city of 160,000, and we JUST found the remains of man in the bush in the outskirts who had been missing since 1996. And that was off a road. The area here kept him hidden for almost a quarter century, and the Gillam area is exponentially more complex, vast and challenging. I think Canadians would have been absolutely amazed if there had been a quick resolution. The police would have needed extraordinary luck, or the suspects would have had to have personally fled into their arms

The RCMP haven’t brought in “help” from US and Australian police because the RCMP know what they are dealing with in terms of geography, have the resources they need, can draw on more resources if needed (there are 110o RCMP officers in Manitoba alone), and because of one other small matter - foreign police have no jurisdiction in Canada, any more than Canadian police have jurisdiction in the US or Australia.

Australian victim's father is a senior NSWPOL police officer in Australia. Apart from a family presence, his being in the company of RCMP is just as much about courtesy between RCMP and NSWPOL. Believe it or not, this reciprocal behaviour is observed in polite societies.

All I can say is that I hope you are correct and that the RCMP has it all under control!

If you as a citizen are satisfied with the level of communication and information disclosure from RCMP then what outsider has the right to question the situation. As an outsider looking in the information flow seems a day late and a dollar short as it relates to public safety. MOO!

For me all I will remember is how long it took for RCMP to put out to the public that it was dealing with a situation of 'gun violence' when it is highly likely that the assessement was made by the coroner as soon as the bodies were examined. Why the sensitivity about 'gun violence'? The Press Officer even seemed a bit hesitant when talking about the idea of 'gun violence'. Does 'gun violence' not exist in Canada?

Shouldn't unknowing tourists and local citizen have been made aware of the situation in short order rather than being left to guess what happened?

Of course the territory is vast and Of course RCMP have extensive experience and knowledge dealing with the terrain but I find it hard to believe that the resouces of others cannot be used to assist in what is proving to be a very difficult and challenging manhunt. Resource sharing amongst LE happens frequently in complex cases and I'm curious to see if this case heads into Ontario whether things might change in terms of approach. But based on what you have said, probably nothing will be altered in terms of strategy and resouces.

MOO

I’m with you completely.

It’s one thing to have a situation where you believe a murder is an isolated act, and another thing entirely when you know that a random crime could have occurred.

One means that the risk for continuing violence is low, the other means that anyone and everyone could be in danger.

These people were murdered in cold blood, and the crime happened out in the open, on a main road.

Can’t sit on that. No way.

They also committed their killings in pretty quick succession.

They came across Lucas/Chynna during the night of July 14 or very early morning of July 15.

They decided to kill the couple, for whatever reason.

Then they paused for 4 whole days, burned their truck, and murdered Prof. Dyck to steal his RAV4.

Then they drove far far away, avoiding major towns. No more murders as far as we know.

So it doesn't seem to fit either spree or serial killer pattern.

so there is LE there that I have to think is well skilled on brush, and there is two young men that are not skilled on brush, and apparently LE hasn't found any sign of the young men. I don't think the young men are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth