CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is that I hope you are correct and that the RCMP has it all under control!

If you as a citizen are satisfied with the level of communication and information disclosure from RCMP then what outsider has the right to question the situation. As an outsider looking in the information flow it in general seems 'a day late and a dollar short' as it relates to public safety. MOO!

For me, all I will remember is how long it took for RCMP to put out to the public that it was dealing with a situation of 'gun violence' when it is highly likely that the assessement was made by the coroner as soon as the bodies were examined. Why the sensitivity about 'gun violence'? The Press Officer even seemed a bit hesitant when talking about the idea of 'gun violence'. Does 'gun violence' not exist in Canada?

Shouldn't unknowing tourists and local citizens have been made aware of the 'gun violence' situation in short order rather than being left to guess what happened?

Of course the territory is vast and Of course RCMP have extensive experience and knowledge dealing with the terrain but I find it hard to believe that the resouces of others cannot be used to assist in what is proving to be a very difficult and challenging manhunt. Resource sharing amongst LE happens frequently in complex cases and I'm curious to see if this case heads into Ontario whether things might change in terms of approach. But based on what you have said, probably nothing will be altered by the RCMP in terms of strategy and resources.

MOO

If the suspects are confirmed to have entered Ontario, then the OPP and potentially metropolitan police forces will be enlisted, but I don't foresee a scenario in which foreign forces would be accorded jurisdiction.

This is wild.

According to the manuscript's cover, Schmegelsky wrote it in 12 days while drunk.“

“My soul wrote this in 12 days. I could have sold my soul thirty years ago when my dad told me the Canadian Red Cross gave him Aids.”

• Alan Schmegelsky contacted media across the world. including DailyMail.com. hoping to boost readership of his self-published book
  • The rambling memoir, entitled Red Flagged, is a bizarre 131-page screed covering the last ten years of Schmegelsky Sr’s life
  • His story reveals how he struggled for years with his mental health and he tells of the dysfunctional household in which his fugitive son Bryer was raised
Father of teen Canadian murder fugitive tries to hijack media frenzy to publicize his new book | Daily Mail Online

A few threads back, when BS's dad made his first statement to the press, saying his son would go down in a blaze of glory, some here were saying he was just seeking attention. I defended him, saying I felt he was just a grieving dad saying good-bye to his son. I take it all back.

It’s always better not to have the questions supplied in advance. They teach you that in journalism school.

You get better answers when the subject isn’t prepared with the questions beforehand.

It gives them less wiggle room to maneuver around.

Best way to get the truth.
I understand that would be a useful tactic when interviewing, say, a corrupt politician. However, I don't see the point of interrogating/trying to 'trip up' the RCMP during an active and dangerous investigation.

The madness escalates.. . Naturally, the Daily Mail has seen fit not to claim they they themselves would have ghost written this for Alan. Alan himself looks and sounds like he would take 131 pages to explain how he ties his shoes up, so it is hardly credible that he would have written this all on his ownsome.

Besides, this is a man, who is still struggling with his mental health , and this has to be right up there with gratuitous cruelty of a peculiar and particular kind almost exclusively attributable to the Daily Fail.
Ah ha...we travel the same circles...we know the DM’s real handle! And yes folks, it is a miserable tabloid. Too bad someone didn’t warn Mr S before hand. The Royals and Kardashians are taking summer breaks, so they will run with Canadas devastating news story. Wish the families would not speak to media no matter how much $$is wangled in their eye.

I keep questioning the Nazi war time memorabilia, the armbands and the knife and how they relate to this case, if in fact they do. His Father has denied this aspect openly, but it's not that difficult to find like minded individuals in western Canada.
Bottom line is these hateful groups are only attractive to those who base their worth on others not having worth. I think his interest in Nazis, Hitler or far right extremism is related only in that it is tells us he is one shallow, angry messed up guy with no self worth

I understand that would be a useful tactic when interviewing, say, a corrupt politician. However, I don't see the point of interrogating/trying to 'trip up' the RCMP during an active and dangerous investigation.

It’s not so much about trying to have a “gotcha moment,” as much as it is about getting a completely honest answer.

That’s the job of the press.

The madness escalates.. . Naturally, the Daily Mail has seen fit not to claim they they themselves would have ghost written this for Alan. Alan himself looks and sounds like he would take 131 pages to explain how he ties his shoes up, so it is hardly credible that he would have written this all on his ownsome.

Besides, this is a man, who is still struggling with his mental health , and this has to be right up there with gratuitous cruelty of a peculiar and particular kind almost exclusively attributable to the Daily Fail.

Oh no, Lord knows what if any role the Daily Mail played in writing this, but the decision to publicize it is going to result in zillions of amateur psychologist posts here and elsewhere :)

Perhaps the police know things that you (and the rest of us here) don't know. The might also have knowledge that will help prosecutors in securing a conviction. If that knowledge becomes public, it potentially compromises a jury pool and make convictions more difficult to obtain. The Canadian justice is not the same as the US system.

It's true about the reporters. Not everybody in the professional is an intrepid investigative journalist. Given the choice between staying in a posh hotel in a major city (US or international) with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, or trekking circuitously to a remote northern outpost of Canada, where one might have to stay at a relatively spartan motel or hunting lodge, the vast majority of reporters will opt for the former every single time. It's probably not easy persuading a cosseted network-news reporter to accept that sort of assignment.

I am Canadian. I am not saying what you say I am saying. I am asking simply that when an unknown shooter is killing people on the highways of our great nation, this kind of information is, in fact relevant to the public. There is a need to alert the public to this kind of danger. Sitting on a threat for days or a week or however long they intended to sit on it is not acceptable. I have posted an example of how they could handle it without disclosing names.

You are entitled to your opinion, too.

This is wild.

According to the manuscript's cover, Schmegelsky wrote it in 12 days while drunk.“

“My soul wrote this in 12 days. I could have sold my soul thirty years ago when my dad told me the Canadian Red Cross gave him Aids.”

• Alan Schmegelsky contacted media across the world. including DailyMail.com. hoping to boost readership of his self-published book
  • The rambling memoir, entitled Red Flagged, is a bizarre 131-page screed covering the last ten years of Schmegelsky Sr’s life
  • His story reveals how he struggled for years with his mental health and he tells of the dysfunctional household in which his fugitive son Bryer was raised
Father of teen Canadian murder fugitive tries to hijack media frenzy to publicize his new book | Daily Mail Online
Say what!!!? That is wild and beyond believe this guy would do such a thing after what's gone on! So the dad could be an alcoholic perhaps, maybe that's why BS (s0n) was also messed up? I think BS is a drinker himself too (vodka bottle in his hand in 1 of the pics). This case is going off the deep end in more ways than 1 :(! JMO

All this strange story now needs is a sighting of those two young killers racing a stolen dog sled team across the Arctic Circle, while being pursued by a herd of angry, classroom French speaking, caribou.............moo

The information about BS's dad's book is rather bizarre. I see in the DM article that he says this has been in the works since October. I work in publishing, and if it's true he is using a self-publishing company, that is probably true. He wouldn't be able to put something together with an intermediary without it taking a few months. He claims he delayed the release, which was supposed to be earlier this week, but I think it would probably have been wise to just shelve the project indefinitely (pun not intended) rather than only postpone by a few days.

I keep forgetting to ask this question. Why did it take 4 hours for LE to get to the scene of the double murder?
The location of the murders is in a remote part of northern BC, the closest RCMP crime unit would be to the east in Fort Nelson, BC which is 4 hours from that location. (note: there is an rcmp detachment on the border into Yukon at Watson Lake, that is close to the same distance as Frt Nelson but not in BC.

This is wild.

Wow, that's quite the article. The dad did seem to paint different pictures about his son in interviews from, "he's a good kid," to "he'll go out in a blaze of glory...RIP". I wondered what happened to make him change his tune, but now I wonder if the book has anything to do with that. Hopefully the dad isn't embellishing about his son and using this entire situation to push his book. MOO.

Nope. Not the way its done. Nothing left to chance.

I am curious though that if there had been a major development in the case while the News Briefing had been going on whether the Press Officer would have shared the information. Or, would the protocol be to write up the statement and wait for the next day to present the information to the press and the world?

It is highly probable that these Press conferences ( and speaking from the NSWPOL perspective, the RCMP seems positively mouthy and exuberant in comparison with NSWPOL under the same circumstances ) might be primarily for the fugitives ? and secondarily for the general public? . this is standard operating procedure right across the world, yes, even in the USA, in the UK, in Scandinavia, in France, in Spain, in NZ, in AU.. it's just how it is.

How else to get a message to these two men, assuming they are still alive ( which I don't assume ) ? . there is only one way. Public broadcast. This tells these men exactly what the RCMP want them to know, and exactly what they don't want them to know. It's as plain as day, to anyone with the eyes to see.

Bottom line is these hateful groups are only attractive to those who base their worth on others not having worth. I think his interest in Nazis, Hitler or far right extremism is related only in that it is tells us he is one shallow, angry messed up guy with no self worth

I agree. It gave him an outlet for his anger, and gave this worthless monster a sense of belonging to something greater than himself.

That was the appeal.

Wow, that's quite the article. The dad did seem to paint different pictures about his son in interviews from, "he's a good kid," to "he'll go out in a blaze of glory...RIP". I wondered what happened to make him change his tune, but now I wonder if the book has anything to do with that. Hopefully the dad isn't embellishing about his son and using this entire situation to push his book. MOO.
It sounds like the book is mostly about himself, and he uses it to take shots at his ex wife.

I think he changed his tune because he’s being truthful about having mental issues.

Alcohol and mental illness are not an ideal combination.

I have to wonder why there has been no ongoing search reported for this guy?
There probably has been an extensive search and the person might even have been found by RCMP and turned over to the FBI. But, as the Press Officer said many many times the other day, "...this is an active and dynamic investigation..." so the update information isn't yet ready for release to the public.

Now that I've refreshed the page and see more discussion: I personally don't think the Daily Mail had any role in helping him with writing his book. Like I said earlier, if it's true he is working with a self-publisher, that would be easy to confirm, and I really don't think they would be able bullcrap together a manuscript and print it that fast.

Edited to add: In my experience, book printers get pissy if you rush them, and 2 weeks is considered abnormally fast, call-in-favors speed to print.

That being said, I completely agree that the Daily Mail is shamelessly exploiting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005