CANADA - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the July 25 press conference link posted by lexitoronto:

"Shoihet said detectives are currently compiling information for the B.C. Prosecution Service to review for potential charges.

She also pushed back against any suggestion that the delay in laying charges is due to doubt that Schmegelsky and McLeod are the suspects who should be charged in Fowler and Deese’s deaths.

“It’s the process we have to go through, and we’re working through that now,” she said. “As you can imagine, with a double homicide, we have to have all the evidence in place, and it takes some time."

Just to expand on this...

In BC, Québec and New Brunswick, government prosecutors must approve charges before they are laid. They use a stiffer test than the one set out in the Criminal Code. Consequently, the police have some work to do before charges will be approved. Also, due to the charge in relation to Mr. Dyck and the resulting Canada Wide Warrant, there is no urgency on other charges.

Haha it has been one of the main things in my mind too. I have no idea why, but their body language is off to me. Could be years of work in retail to be honest.
They seem to wander around for whatever reason, but don't buy anything. Stealing a map maybe? Or testing the waters to see if they are recognized? MOO of course.

I feel like they were in the store for one of two reasons:

- to steal something
- to be on camera

Now, I am not sure if they have a master plan and WANTED to be seen in certain places (their whole deal tells me maybe not), but.. that's still a possibility to entertain.

So it makes me think that perhaps their body language is off because 1. they are pilfering and 2. they have just killed LD. Pretty nervy stuff all around so they'd be jittery at best. You can see they are *trying* to play it cool, but they are far too rigid in their movements.

AND I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT KM IS SAYING haha. Maybe @Trooper was right in that it was a heads up re: camera..

Males fitting the description of the fugitives were seen near the water treatment plant.
RCMP broaden search for teens wanted in B.C. killings to York Landing, Man.

How secure is that water treatment plant? Can they get in there and tamper with the water?
We have rural water treatment plants here and it’s just so you can get potable water. No one can get in to the plant itself to tamper with anything. Not sure if it’s the same but I’m betting it’s similar. Will likely be locked right up.

Maybe! It has been playing on me a lot! Such a small piece of the puzzle but I'd just love to know what they are saying. Their body language shows a sense of discomfort, and KM's head nod is almost... sneaky? - so it'd be interesting to know what they are actually saying. Maybe I am just delirious and looking too far into it

I think it was a clerk or cashier saying 'have a good day'or something similar too and he slightly glances and answers... which does look sneaky because he probably doesn't want to look directly at the person. It's just so common going into places like this for an employee to say have a good day, or have a good weekend, etc. Could be why someone remember them as well. JMO

Just occurred to me! With all the people who hold the naive belief that the kids (kid=>35 in my personal terminology) are innocent, I can foresee another “Bambi” in the making!!!

Yes, here is the invite info per the article:

"Favel (Bear Claw Clan Founder) said his group was responding to a request issued Friday by Sheldon Kent, acting grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs".

"The [acting] grand chief called yesterday to ask if we could send some teams to provide security for some of the First Nations that don't have RCMP service," Favel said.

Wouldn’t it seem the Bear Claw Clan is coordinating work with the RCMP, given their presence in communities without RCMP service? Otherwise for what reason would they be invited?

I’m a long time member,,,not verified but retired from the federal prison system British Columbia...after a lengthy career there. To clear up some misconceptions,,,,,IF these two were both convicted as adults for murder,,,,,they would receive federal sentences,,,likely life sentences. As murderers ( unless it’s changed) they would, after going through reception and being tested and classified, initially be placed in a MAXIMUM Security federal penitentiary. There is ONLY one MAXIMUM Security in British Columbia and it is called Kent Institution.
As they do not like to place co conspirators together,,,one could well be transferred to Alberta...or some other province. Other federal institutions in B.C. include Matsqui, Mission, Pacific, the Regional Psychiatric Center
and the Women’s Prison. There are also a couple of minimum secure facilities......These are all located in the central Fraser Valley,,,,to beyond the Chilliwack area.
There is ONLY one federal institution on Vancouver Island,,,,,outside of Victoria,,,called William Head,,,,,It too is a lower level facility and someone convicted of murder would not initially be placed there but could perhaps be transferred there later in their sentence.

To correct another post,,Stoney Mountain Penitentiary is not located in BC,,,,I think it’s in Alberta,,,but I’m not certain.

Also the question was asked about conjugal visits,,,,,yes they do exist....I don’t recall all the criteria,,,but for those who were cohabiting before incarceration,,,or those who marry while incarcerated,,,or simply just with mom and dad,,,,,. If I recall...they would last about two days in length,',,,,the inmate purchases and supplies the food,,,and with the demand on the units,,,could happen about once every two months.

This case makes me wish I was still working....I’d love to do the front end assessments on these guys. It would be fascinating. Oh,,,and yes,,,,psychiatric reports are a requirement in murder cases,,,,,and if mental health issues are apparent,,,The Regional Psychiatric Unit is well prepared to deal with them. This unit is not the Psychiatric Unit that diverts people from being convicted,,,but is part of the prison system and deals with those who have been convicted,,,in other words they transfer there to deal with the mental health issue then transfer back to their home institution and continue serving their sentence,

Hope this adds to some understanding.
I’m a long time member,,,not verified but retired from the federal prison system British Columbia...after a lengthy career there. To clear up some misconceptions,,,,,IF these two were both convicted as adults for murder,,,,,they would receive federal sentences,,,likely life sentences. As murderers ( unless it’s changed) they would, after going through reception and being tested and classified, initially be placed in a MAXIMUM Security federal penitentiary. There is ONLY one MAXIMUM Security in British Columbia and it is called Kent Institution.
As they do not like to place co conspirators together,,,one could well be transferred to Alberta...or some other province. Other federal institutions in B.C. include Matsqui, Mission, Pacific, the Regional Psychiatric Center
and the Women’s Prison. There are also a couple of minimum secure facilities......These are all located in the central Fraser Valley,,,,to beyond the Chilliwack area.
There is ONLY one federal institution on Vancouver Island,,,,,outside of Victoria,,,called William Head,,,,,It too is a lower level facility and someone convicted of murder would not initially be placed there but could perhaps be transferred there later in their sentence.

To correct another post,,Stoney Mountain Penitentiary is not located in BC,,,,I think it’s in Alberta,,,but I’m not certain.

Also the question was asked about conjugal visits,,,,,yes they do exist....I don’t recall all the criteria,,,but for those who were cohabiting before incarceration,,,or those who marry while incarcerated,,,or simply just with mom and dad,,,,,. If I recall...they would last about two days in length,',,,,the inmate purchases and supplies the food,,,and with the demand on the units,,,could happen about once every two months.

This case makes me wish I was still working....I’d love to do the front end assessments on these guys. It would be fascinating. Oh,,,and yes,,,,psychiatric reports are a requirement in murder cases,,,,,and if mental health issues are apparent,,,The Regional Psychiatric Unit is well prepared to deal with them. This unit is not the Psychiatric Unit that diverts people from being convicted,,,but is part of the prison system and deals with those who have been convicted,,,in other words they transfer there to deal with the mental health issue then transfer back to their home institution and continue serving their sentence,

Stoney mountain is in Manitoba

From the July 25 press conference link posted by lexitoronto:

"Shoihet said detectives are currently compiling information for the B.C. Prosecution Service to review for potential charges.

She also pushed back against any suggestion that the delay in laying charges is due to doubt that Schmegelsky and McLeod are the suspects who should be charged in Fowler and Deese’s deaths.

“It’s the process we have to go through, and we’re working through that now,” she said. “As you can imagine, with a double homicide, we have to have all the evidence in place, and it takes some time."

Seems like a pretty standard answer that answers absolutely nothing.

There is a road, let me see what I can find
Someone posted about a winter track road above. I saw it listed on the Manitoba Highways website but it looked like an informal unpaved track to me rather than something vehicles could use. Wish the photos online were clearer.

My mistake re stony, it is in Manitoba. I did my post real fast as I was trying to keep up with others. I too worked in a federal penitentiary as well as a LUDO but not in BC. It has been awhile so I was a bit foggy. Anyway, I did welcome anyone to correct me :) My main point being that co-convicted are not usually placed in the same institutions.

Last edited:

They may be entitled to carry, not for the purpose of murdering but simply because of their rights pertaining to hunting in general.

Recognizing the Treaty and Constitutional rights of First Nations, Manitoba Sustainable Development considers that status First Nation hunters:
• must carry the federally issued Certificate of Indian Status to help a Conservation Officer determine that they are entitled to exercise the right to hunt for food;
• do not require licences;
• are not restricted to specific seasons or hours;
• are not restricted to bag limits; and
• are not subject to equipment restrictions such as the use of off-road vehicles.

First Nations with status generally have right to access to hunt for food within:
• Reserve lands, Wildlife Management Areas, Provincial Forests, areas of Provincial Parks where licensed hunting is permitted, unoccupied Crown lands, and other Crown lands where licensed hunting or trapping is permitted
• Private land with the permission of the landowner or occupant; and
• Federal lands, such as community pastures open to the public for hunting, or with the permission of the Pasture Manager.
https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/pubs/fish_wildlife/huntingguide.pdf

I agree, they didn't seem to have taken much at all from their truck and have only been shown wearing the same clothes for over a week now.
Article was already 4 days ago but I'm not sure if that makes any difference at this juncture. LE already has enough reason to arrest those boys. Charges can come later.

Wouldn’t it seem the Bear Claw Clan is coordinating work with the RCMP, given their presence in communities without RCMP service? Otherwise for what reason would they be invited?
They were invited by the Chief to help keep locals safe in remote communities with limited police presence. The bear clan does great work, but I’d expect rcmp would only treat them as civilians. This is a volunteer movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand