Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, if their phone is still charged (and now they have those back-up thingies, which is totally possible - mine keeps my phone charged for brief daily use while traveling for about 2 weeks)...then GPS would be the one thing they'd be most likely to be able to use (downloaded map and all from before).

So...that's direct to satellite and not through a tower, right? Someone please explain (again) how the GPS differs from using Cellular network.

PS. I'm the one who said that my teenage-24 year old students have a rough time with paper maps and figuring things out without that blue dot showing them where they are - but they catch on after a couple of weeks of practice.
There are navigational
Devices used for remote areas like Tom Toms that use satellites to position you. Not sure if the military can track their use. It sends a signal but it’s not connected to a network.

I am surprised how many people are talking about teenagers not being able to read maps! Most teens I know are excellent map readers and navigators and many got these skills from gaming! Mobile phone apps using GPS satellites are free and an excellent tool. I have travelled to remote places around the world and been able to map my path and measure and record distances very accurately. As others have said, power banks can give numerous recharges and if a phone is only used occassionally it can last some time. (If it wasn't burnt in the original burnt out car!). I am assuming that Canada would also have GPS satellites somewhere in the sky over there, since they can even be accessed from Mount Everest!

The reference I think is to “old-fashioned” paper maps which the Split Lake band constable noticed in the RAV4, after the two were stopped for an alcohol check when passing through the dry reserve on their way towards Gillam and Fox Lake Cree Nation.

True and there is no proof the suspects had a gun either. However, given Fowler’s father was police officer or similar in Australia, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to think that Fowler was not exposed to guns or how to use them.

The fact that he might know how to use a gun, if he did, which is another assumption, is beside the point.

I not only know how to use a gun, I have a license, but on a temporary trip to Australia I’m not about to go through the rigamarole and expense of getting a license without a hell of a good reason.

It would have cost Fowler (who was so flush that he was driving a 33 year old car) $260 for the course and license, plus the course time, plus the cost of a gun and ammunition, plus 60 days waiting for the license. Why?

You’re just inventing stuff. Fine, but don’t think that it’s anything more than a house of cards :)

Yes -- that works.

Walked down the railway line, and then took path access to electricity pylons to get to York Landing.

MOO

So, possibly following that theory, the next logical path would be to Kelsey if they were in York Landing and planned for an escape or back up towards Gillam. Rail lines would need to be on firm ground. What about Power Lines? I know we have clear paths in Ontario but would they be boggy out in Manitoba or require some firm ground for repair crews to access if needed?

Here’s a theory from start to present day.

The boys set out on an adventure originally headed north for work or fun?

They stumble across the disabled van on the side of the highway and think it’s empty so they try to break in to raid it. While trying to gain entry LF shoots out the back window trying to protect Chynna and himself. Things get ugly and the boys kill them and raid the van.

From here they leave and lay low for a couple of days trying to figure out what to do. Likely panicked because someone drove by and saw that big red truck of theirs so they decide to try and find a replacement vehicle and make a run for it.

They head down the highway until they come across LD and seize this opportunity and kill him either by accident or by design. Possibly with a gun obtained from LF which is why they get connected?? Anyway they drive both vehicles a few kms up the road because BS isn’t a great driver so first place they find they torch it and they head east.

Why they stop in Alberta and end up stuck to the point they need help is beyond me but no one dies. Next stop Sask by this time they’ve refined their plan and stop for supplies which I believe they shoplift from the coop and god knows where else they stopped. They move along and get stopped by the constables at split lake and this I think freaks them out. They know it’s only a matter of time before the rav is wanted in the media (prob surprised it isn’t already) so they decide they have to dump it. They either find another vehicle or a place to hide out. Burn the rav and make their way either by foot or car to their current spot. And now they’re waiting.

I don’t think they headed into the bush. There was no immediate pressure.

I don’t think they were sighted in YL.

I do think they are somewhere laying low back towards the west in an unpopulated area that they spied on their way out.

Plausible, and good theory but a couple things why it doesn't add up for me:

I wish we knew if LF carried a firearm (I might've missed this info if he did have a gun). LF doesn't strike me as the type to carry one though, I think it's hard to get firearms over the Canadian border too(?)

I still think they could've flown under the radar much easier if ditched their truck in the bush or drove off a ravine, lighting it on fire drew attention to them so I have to think they wanted the notoriety, JMO.

Does anyone know if the Lynn Lake residents have been allowed back home? They were evacuated 5 days ago due to forest fires and some structures were lost.

I’m just thinking of possible spots these guys could have taken advantage of by having a place to crash and loot etc.

The last update I can find is from 3 days ago:
Province of Manitoba | Home Page

I believe it was locals who pointed out that the suspects could have followed the hydro lines from Gillam to York Landing. The old train track runs parallel to the hydro/transmission lines for most of the 90km (55M) route from Gillam to York Landing.

We have to keep in mind that the suspects were not in Gillam, they were NE of Gillam at the Fox Lake Cree Nation area, but RCMP were stationed in Gillam while searching for the suspects in the surrounding area.

upload_2019-7-29_21-51-35.png

Gillam is South of the Nelson river, the burned car was North. Gillam is between Split Lake, where the suspects bought gas, and Fox Lake Cree Nation, where the burned Rav4 was found.

upload_2019-7-29_21-51-16.png

I have no idea what power lines look like in Manitoba, here they can be trails because vehicles need to ride on them to make repairs. It seems like someone walking on/near the trail would be easily visible.
Why are we talking about power lines?

Power lines are located anywhere someone needs power provided by the public utility. They are everywhere.

Trying to follow where power lines came into the conversation.

But there’s no evidence, or reason to believe, that Lucas Fowler had a gun.

I don't think LF had a gun either. 1. because he was a well-travelled man and wouldn't be able to lug a gun between all of the countries he visited and 2. because he is Australian and unless criminals or farmers, we tend not to have guns.

Why are we talking about power lines?

Power lines are located anywhere someone needs power provided by the public utility. They are everywhere.

Trying to follow where power lines came into the conversation.

Speculation that the suspects followed power lines from near where the car was abandoned. Assuming they are/were in York Landing.

So what I get from all this is that they ditched and burnt the RAV4 on Tues. and then it was reported on Wed. that they were being charged with murder. So what if they accidentally ran over and killed the professor with the truck, but had nothing to even do with the other murders. Then they were scared and thought burning the truck would get rid of any evidence. Of course, then they didn’t have a vehicle, so had to take the RAV4. Even though they were on the run, maybe they weren’t really “on the run” till they heard on the radio or somewhere they were being charged with murder. Maybe in their immature minds, they thought they could burn the car too, and get rid of any evidence they were in it, and just walk away from it, maybe hitchhike back home and come up with a good story. Up until then , they weren’t really hiding, giving a farmer their names, going into a store , getting gas, etc. After that, they really went into hiding. Just some thoughts...

I wish we knew if LF carried a firearm (I might've missed this info if he did have a gun). LF doesn't strike me as the type to carry one though, I think it's hard to get firearms over the Canadian border too(?

There is zero evidence that he had a gun. Having had a permit to transport a gun between the US and Canada (I shoot skeet in both countries), I can tell you that it’s a huge rigmarole and takes months to arrange.

I wonder why if it was NOT them, whoever was at the dump that day would not come forward and say “sorry you were mistaken, that was me”. Seems odd that no one has come forward to admit they were at the dump.
Completely agree!

But I wonder if the extent of the wariness between the local people and the RCMP was such that nobody would ever admit to being at the dump to the RCMP? The experience for the people in that remote location must have been terrifying so perhaps nerves and anxiety resulted in people saying and hearing things that didn't exist? IDK.

Its tough too as once your brain gets fixed on the possibility that someone isn't sharing sufficient detail to maintain public safety and is just parsing out information on an as needed basis as we have seen at times in this case, it frankly makes it hard to believe much of what is going on in terms of the official statements as trust is so fragile.

It seems like the RCMP has a solid support base in much of Canada so maybe local citizens are trusting them to carry on this case as they usually do and are ok with the way things are going. I keep going back to the original RCMP statement about the 2 suspects being missing. I don't believe now for a second that these 2 were ever reported missing by anyone and it was simply an RCMP tactic to offer up a way for the 2 to head to a station and turn themselves in while also buying the RCMP time to further investigate. But did they know at the time that the missing report was issued that the 2 were violent? IDK but if this were the case it would be concerning. Would RCMP use this communication tactic again on another topic if they felt it had strategic value? Most likely IMO based on what we have seen.

Please don't send me any maps of Canada, I know its a HUGE country and the terrain is vast, varied and challenging to traverse no matter what mode of transport is used! I realize the RCMP are looking for 2 6'4 needles in a haystack and its rough going out there. I get it! But we have not had an RCMP approved sighting of the 2 suspects in a good amount of time and I wonder why that is?

I think its entirely possible that RCMP has much information that isn't being shared and if its being held to protect an investigation then that is ok so far as that goes. But if public safety is potentially being jeopardized by not sharing information that is something else entirely IMO.

MOO

But there’s no evidence, or reason to believe, that Lucas Fowler had a gun.
No evidence but, IMO, certainly reason to believe, or at least consider. Fowler was an experienced traveller who had been in Canada long enough to qualify for the legal acquisition of a long gun to protect against wildlife in a northern camping adventure. (Did he do so?). The teenagers from Pt Alberni most certainly could not have met the requirements. Maybe they could have acquired one illegally? Port Alberni is a long way from the US/CAN border. Most illegal guns are tossed over the fence to gang members in Vancouver or Windsor Ont. MOO

Gosh guys, I’ve been obsessively lurking on this thread for days. Thought we’d see some news today. I suspect the sighting was concrete, moo, but I also believe the bush is dense. Captured or not, there’s a time limit to how long they last out there and it’s getting shorter. I hope we get answers, otherwise I fear they will perish out there and the families will never get answers. Hanging in with you all, Sending love to my Canadian friends from the north woods of Wisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member