Canada - Marie-France Comeau, 37, & Jessica Lloyd, 27, slain, Ont, 2009 & 2010 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
b/bbm ITA! This was a man that was very careless. In my opinion his power in the military perhaps lulled him into a false sense of security in his criminal endeavors. While we do not yet know of any other crimes he may be linked to previous to September, it certainly seems like an "escalated" pattern. In other words there almost has to be other victims of this man out there. I hope he was equally sloppy in the past if he did partake in other crimes.

Being marrried to a LTC in the army myself I am appalled by his crimes and his abuse of the power entrusted to him. He was projecting all of that power onto innocent women instead of using it to lead the troops he was given command of. What a sorry excuse for a human being.

(BBM)

I have been wondering if he wore his uniform to gain access to Jessica's home, or if she had met him previously. Her last communication was a text sent at 10:30 p.m., which means she was approached in her own home sometime after that. Was that text sent from there, or did she get home even later than that? Would she open her door to a strange man so late at night if she didn't know him or if he was in civilian clothing? Did he break in after she went to bed, as he did with the sexual assaults in September? I assume that her car was in the driveway, but has this ever been reported?

Just a few of the many questions that need answers.

JMO

"Francis" Lloyd? Dear lord, can't anyone get anything right? I wonder if Macleans outsources their editing like so many publications these days. This mistake is like a slap in the face of the victim. :banghead:

JMO

EDIT: And further down in the same article, "Floyd" instead of "Lloyd". How can we believe anything we read when so many errors go undetected?

Yes, journalistic sloppiness in action. Sometimes things are written in a way that misleads readers. Very frustrating! Time deadline aside, it would be nice if the names, at least, were correct.

Paris you apparently missed post #444 & #469. I simply copied the quote to Christie & copied her response, please don't shoot the messenger.

Corrected. Thanx. You did agree that the "other" poster who added "(from Williams)" was reading it wrong.

Sorry. Let's carry on.

I agree that the typical, serial sex crimes offender tends to escalate in the severity of his crimes rather than de-escalate. But profiles like these are general (as you say) and don't necessarily apply to every single case. There are always exceptions to every rule.

From what we have heard so far about RW, he doesn't seem to fit into any mould we normally associate with a serial offender of this type. While he shares many characteristics of the "typical" sociopath, there are also some where he doesn't. One reason why this story is so huge and newsworthy: RW's high-ranking, respected military status. And now a privileged, peripatetic childhood. He is not your stereotypical sociopathic loser - the unmarried loner, living in his mother's dank basement watching internet *advertiser censored*.

I have a feeling that when the results of further research are revealed, we will see a new and unique profile of a serial rapist/killer - one that may have experts redefining the old stereotype.

JMO

Most sociopaths aren't losers, that is just a stereotype. Most have outwardly normal lives.

The military is an ideal place for sociopaths to rise in the ranks since that sort of behaviour is rewarded in that environment.

IS anyone else finding it odd that a scientist is also missing from Ottawa, Lachlan Cranswick,
who also worked for the Atomic Energy Laboratories? His front door was open and his wallet, GPS etc were still inside the house. There is a thread for him here at WS. I just found it odd.

We now know that Williams' past includes a connection to Chalk River, so yes! Plus, isn't that the same type of thing that happened to Jessica: wallet and keys left behind on the table? The timeframe for that disappearance is also interesting.

This needs to be explained. Mr. Cranswick is still missing.

Meanwhile, more news out of Europe about a shutdown that will further restrict the supply of medical isotopes.

(BBM)

I have been wondering if he wore his uniform to gain access to Jessica's home, or if she had met him previously. Her last communication was a text sent at 10:30 p.m., which means she was approached in her own home sometime after that. Was that text sent from there, or did she get home even later than that? Would she open her door to a strange man so late at night if she didn't know him or if he was in civilian clothing? Did he break in after she went to bed, as he did with the sexual assaults in September? I assume that her car was in the driveway, but has this ever been reported?

JMO

One more question to add to the list:

Since that text message was reported as being rather generic, do they know that she sent it?

(BBM)

JMO

Police aren't commenting on whether there were signs of forcible entry at her home, but it's believed her purse and other belongings were found inside. Her car is still on the driveway. rest of article at link

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/02/02/tor-missing-woman-bellevillle.html

Cocky or careless....I'm still debating in my mind, and I think I need to send emails to ALL of the papers out there.

People keep saying that we weren't informed. We were. The first two attacks, once linked, were reported on by the local radio stations and in the local paper. No, the first attack was not covered initially, but they felt that it was the work of an ex-boyfriend. Here is a link to the radio station news blog.
http://www.mix97.com/news/2009/09/

The headline reads "Disturbed, Dangerous Man in Tweed".

Incredibly tacky considering the end out-come, but hindsight is always 20/20. No further attacks reported in the (Tweed) area following the release of the information to the public. So he thought he was in the clear after the first attack and went on to do it a second time, but careless (or) cocky, used the same MO, to a woman on the same road. DUH.

He was quiet for a while, but something spurred him on. The assault and subsequent murder of Marie-France Comeau followed almost 2 months later. In Brighton, which is located almost a good hour by major highway from Tweed. Close to Trenton (about 10 minutes, possibly 15) As we all know, the MO changed for this one. But this one was different from the start in that there was a HUGE possibility that she would know her attacker. IMO it could have been the thing that changed the assault to murder. The public received some information in this case, the OPP announced that her death was the result of murder. No, no details, but I think that is understandable since it was under investigation. His MO changed, and the other unsolved attacks being a good hour away it may not seem like too much of a stretch in hindsight but lots of things are fuzzy until you find all of the puzzle pieces. From the same blog archive here is a link to the local radio.

http://www.mix97.com/news/2009/11/

This was reported on the 28th of November, 3 days after her death. Cocky (or) careless he attacked and killed a woman that had a link to him.

Time passes. No one questions. Almost 2 months to the day, his final victim. Not sure if he tried to change his MO here, but Marie was found in her home, and Jessica was obviously not. The week passes, and during this time police find the pieces and start warning the public. I don't know what happened, so I will refrain from adding any details that I have read. Almost and hour away from his last victim, so is he thinking he's safe, or is he thinking he's invincible, or is he looking to get caught.

I am getting really irritated reading all of the newspaper accounts that suggest we weren't told. We were informed of all of these crimes as they happened- but until they were able to link them we didn't get MAJOR warning. I don't think that anyone saw this coming! This area is made up of many small towns placed 20 minutes apart. And with as much similarities that lie within these crimes there are still differences. All part of the psychopathic mind I suppose.

I am a big girl, and I don't need a police warning to suggest I need to be safe. And please don't get me wrong, I don't think that the victims were any less safe than they could have been under the circumstances. But I do think that the police deserve some credit for taking him down. I can't imagine it was all that easy to get all of the ducks in a row to be able to build a case against someone that high up in the military.

It's really disgusting that we're still living in the dark ages when it comes to sexual assault. It sounds like some police forces need re-education. Women who report sexual assaults should expect to have their cases investigated. Even if this had been an acquaintance, does that make it okay? No. Stepping off my platform...

The K-9 unit was brought in for the September 17 attack. What happened? Did the dogs lose the scent? Or did they refuse to believe the dogs, because the dogs did not lead them to the front doorstep of whoever they wanted to believe was responsible?

As to Marie France Comeau, I read comments in the news sites alluding to this being a "domestic". Why are these assumptions made?

It is important for investigators to keep an open mind when they are reviewing unsolved missing persons cases, murders and sexual assaults currently. They owe it to the victims.

Police aren't commenting on whether there were signs of forcible entry at her home, but it's believed her purse and other belongings were found inside. Her car is still on the driveway. rest of article at link

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/02/02/tor-missing-woman-bellevillle.html

Thank you so much!

I have another question to which I couldn't find an answer, but it's out there somewhere. Does anyone have a link where the media quoted a neighbour saying that (s)he saw the victim arrive home but nothing after that? I can't remember if it was Jessica or Marie-France that was referenced there.

I do remember that at least one of the assault victims was caught unaware very late in the night while already asleep in a back room. It seems unlikely that a woman alone would leave her doors or windows open and how would the culprit know that in advance anyway? This indicates to me that RW was able to enter her home quietly enough not to wake her. I wonder if his military training would have included stealthy break-and-enter methods and if LE have found appropriate tools for this.

JMO & TIA

Police have entered the Ottawa home of Col. Russell Williams, who is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of two women.

Shortly after 12:30 pm. Thursday, around a dozen Ontario Provincial Police officers arrived in two vehicles at the Westboro home carrying boxes and equipment.
They entered through the garage door and began covering all the windows with brown paper.

b/bbm ITA! This was a man that was very careless. In my opinion his power in the military perhaps lulled him into a false sense of security in his criminal endeavors. While we do not yet know of any other crimes he may be linked to previous to September, it certainly seems like an "escalated" pattern. In other words there almost has to be other victims of this man out there. I hope he was equally sloppy in the past if he did partake in other crimes.

Being marrried to a LTC in the army myself I am appalled by his crimes and his abuse of the power entrusted to him. He was projecting all of that power onto innocent women instead of using it to lead the troops he was given command of. What a sorry excuse for a human being.

I agree, i think he was so cocky and sure of himself, he was lulled like you say by a feeling of security. But the fact that he put blankets under the chairs he tied his victims to, while he assaulted them, and then took the blankets with him, he was thinking ahead and obviously taking care not to leave physical evidence. i can't see him going through that trouble and not using a condom. But we do know there was some type of DNA left that they used to match to him, so I don't know. He wasn't as smart as he thought he was!

:cat:

Snowball says, "Look for cat DNA. Cat hair sticks to clothing and floats in the air. Each cat has its own DNA footprint, just like humans."

Summer says, "This was a tremendous breach of trust by a commanding officer, who has no doubt shaken his troops' loyalty to the core. A crisis of faith is looming in the military."

Police have entered the Ottawa home of Col. Russell Williams, who is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of two women.

Shortly after 12:30 pm. Thursday, around a dozen Ontario Provincial Police officers arrived in two vehicles at the Westboro home carrying boxes and equipment.
They entered through the garage door and began covering all the windows with brown paper.

Any word on whether they are searching his former home in Orleans?

I would like to say, that Col Williams wouldn't have "led" the search. He would have given the authorization for 424 Sqn (our Search and Rescue Sqn) to do the search when it was requested by outside agencies. He pretty much wouldn't have been able to say no.

There are 3 unsolved murders in Shearwater that took place during the 2 years he was posted there.

My god :(

I can only imagine how hard this must be for you to wrap your mind around, given that you knew the accused. Thank you so much for contributing and helping us civilians better understand how the military works. I do have another military based question for you. Given that the RW is military personnel, I understand that he will stand trial in a civilian court, will he have to go through the same thing in the military as well?

I heard back from Christie. I took off my info, but I would be glad to send this to a mod for verification. This is an important clarification that needs to be done for justice & to preserve for Victoria Stafford info.:

"No worries, no offence, just a badly written sentence." This is from Christie.

From
: a>
To: Blatchford, Christie
Sent: Wed Feb 10 16:59:03 2010
Subject: Re: The case against the colonel: 'Lingerie break-ins' and a 'treasure trove' of photo evidence

"The key officer in the room was Detective-Sergeant Jim Smith, who last year had obtained a statement (from Williams) in the abduction and murder of eight-year-old Tori Stafford of Woodstock, Ont., last summer."

I am willing to send this to a mod for verification, if someone asks. I think this valid question that needed to be resolved. I understand if you want someone to verify...just ask.

Dee--

I want to make sure I and everyone understands this correctly.

You are saying that Williams was not involved in Stafford's death, correct?

tia,

Hoppy

Again...might be a repeat, just popping in for a sec...CBC News just reported plain clothes police went into Williams Ottawa home today and covered the windows with brown paper while searching. Luminol?

ETA...boy, ya'll have been busy! :) Whew...many pages to catch up on...

Thank you so much!

I have another question to which I couldn't find an answer, but it's out there somewhere. Does anyone have a link where the media quoted a neighbour saying that (s)he saw the victim arrive home but nothing after that? I can't remember if it was Jessica or Marie-France that was referenced there.

I do remember that at least one of the assault victims was caught unaware very late in the night while already asleep in a back room. It seems unlikely that a woman alone would leave her doors or windows open and how would the culprit know that in advance anyway? This indicates to me that RW was able to enter her home quietly enough not to wake her. I wonder if his military training would have included stealthy break-and-enter methods and if LE have found appropriate tools for this.

JMO & TIA

Interesting point. I can say that Tweed is a VERY small town, and not much happens up there that tells them that they should lock them. I don't recall if September was warm, and I hate to have this posted on the web but my widows have locks, but my screens pop out. So if my window is open at night in the warm weather my screens simply pop out (O o O I can see where I will be changing that as soon as possible!) But seeing as how he has admitted to many cases of lingerie burglary I think he's practiced enough to get in and out without making any noise. But that is just my thought on it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18