Canada - Numerous pedestrians struck by van near Yonge and Finch, Toronto, Apr 2018 *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I luv this City. Soooo many great memories. I don't get there as often as I once did. When I/we go now we always stay in Yorkville. My fave and go to part of the City.

Seems Minassian was just another angry loser who couldn't get a shag.

Did Toronto van driver kill 10 because women wouldn't sleep with him? Awkward tech expert called himself 'involuntarily celibate' and admired women-hating Santa Barbara gunman

Social media posts by Alek Minassian, 25, paint a picture of an angry young man, who was furious that women rejected his sexual advances.

In one post, he refers to the rebellion of 'incels' - a term used to refer to men who have been made 'involuntarily celibate' because women will not have sex with them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5650489/Who-Alek-Minassian-Toronto-van-attack-suspect.html

Wow, this one shows greater detail of the arrest, lucky police officer, and bystanders here if you ask me, this is insane

[video=youtube;LA-YD6sTcP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA-YD6sTcP4[/video]

Thanks, it connects the two videos I have seen. Such presence of mind the LE officer had to go to the car and turn of his siren in the midst of his confrontation. This will be shown to MANY LE districts for training all over IMHO as "what to do"... Kudos! Has this LE name been released yet. He deserves some type of commendation!!!

ETA: I like this video as it has Closed captioning!

#2 ETA: When posted here, the closed captioning is not there?

Seems Minassian was just another angry loser who couldn't get a shag.

Did Toronto van driver kill 10 because women wouldn't sleep with him? Awkward tech expert called himself 'involuntarily celibate' and admired women-hating Santa Barbara gunman

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5650489/Who-Alek-Minassian-Toronto-van-attack-suspect.html

I'm not saying it isn't true or that he didn't make the post, but I wish we had more than just a single Facebook post. Even if he did post it might not be how he usually thinks. So much is being read into that and IMO it's too early to compare him to Rodger.

DM refers to social media pages and posts, both plural, but all I've seen so far is the one Private (Recruit) post.

Investigators told CNN and NBC that they believe the Facebook profile is linked to the Toronto attack suspect,

If it was his account I want to know how and why it was posted "one hour ago." Like when exactly was it posted? Did someone screencap it ahead of time? How did anyone know to check his (when his ID hadn't yet been released) page within an hour of the attack?

Thanks, it connects the two videos I have seen. Such presence of mind the LE officer had to go to the car and turn of his siren in the midst of his confrontation. This will be shown to MANY LE districts for training all over IMHO as "what to do"... Kudos! Has this LE name been released yet. He deserves some type of commendation!!!

ETA: I like this video as it has Closed captioning!

#2 ETA: When posted here, the closed captioning is not there?
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4632661

The officer's name is Ken Lam.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...k-minassian-due-in-court-tuesday-morning.html
The man accused in the deadly van carnage on Yonge St. has been charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder.

Alek Minassian, 25, appeared briefly in court at 1000 Finch Ave. W., on Tuesday, wearing a white jumpsuit and with his hands cuffed behind him in the prisoner’s box.
He gave his name very quickly in court. Minassian’s eyes darted around as he listened to what the duty counsel was saying, but he wore a poker face expression.

Minassian’s next court appearance is via video May 10. He needs to find a lawyer and, given the seriousness of the charges, the justice of the peace told court that he was required to detain the accused.

Minassian was ordered not to have contact with any of the 13 attempt murder victims and when asked if he understood, he sharply said, “Yes.”
Toronto police are expected to update the media at 3 p.m. Tuesday.
The arresting police officer widely praised for his handling of the situation is Const. Ken Lam.
The South Korean government confirmed on its official Facebook site that two of its nationals were killed, and another was injured.
A spokesperson for Facebook Canada said it immediately deleted the suspect’s account Monday afternoon.
The Armenian Community Centre of Toronto released a statement saying it was “deeply saddened and disturbed by the senseless deaths and injuries.”

“We unequivocally condemn this and all acts of violence,” the statement said. “We commend the bravery and dedication of our first responders who, despite being faced with an unprecedented tragedy, saved lives with their heroic actions and rapid response.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...olice-gun-not-shoot-van-suspect-a8319756.html
The policeman who didn't shoot at Alek Minassian in Toronto is proof that real heroes aren't trigger-happy

We’re conditioned from the moment we turn on the television to admire and respect the supreme authority of uber-masculine, gun-toting 'heroes'. We’re subconsciously schooled in the art of violent revenge – and it's exactly this sort of ideology that inspires attackers and terrorists
Alek Minassian won’t be remembered by anybody as a great martyr for some airy-fairy cause. His action-packed death won’t inspire others to repeat his actions in search of their own memorable end. And at the end of the day, that’s ultimately what these people want, isn’t it? They want to go down in flames of glory. They’re nobodies on the hunt for notoriety, and they’re often the sorts of vulnerable people or genuine *******s who end up flocking to the banners of genuinely evil terrorist cells like Isis. It's not a tenuous link to make by any stretch of the imagination.

Like it or not, murder begets murder – and what we truly need in this day and age is heroes who are willing to lay off the trigger wherever possible in order to reclaim the moral high ground upon which our societies are supposedly built.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4162755/toronto-van-attack-alek-minassian/
Facebook has confirmed to @globalnewsto that the post I tweeted last night allegedly written by Alek Minassian was authentic. Comment: “This is a terrible tragedy ... We have found and immediately deleted the suspect’s Facebook account.” – Facebook Spokesperson

11:04 AM - Apr 24, 2018
“The Incel Rebellion has already begun!” reads the post. “We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys! All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!”

Rodger killed six people in 2014 in a vehicle and shooting rampage. Before carrying out the act, Rodger posted a video blasting the women who rejected him and the men who weren’t rejected and were sexually active.
READ MORE: Concrete barriers set up at Toronto’s Union Station following van attack on Yonge Street

“I’ll take great pleasure in slaughtering all of you,” he said. “I don’t know why you girls are so repulsed by me.”

Facebook confirmed to Global News it removed Minassian’s post Monday.
rbbm.
http://nationalpost.com/news/alek-minassian
attachment.php

He described Minassian as a special education student who rarely socialized and had no obvious friends.“I never heard him speak beyond meowing at people,” Fakhteh wrote in a Facebook message. “His movements were erratic and just strange overall. He acted like a cat in every way.”

Attachments

• min222222221.jpg
    min222222221.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 164
I luv this City. Soooo many great memories. I don't get there as often as I once did. When I/we go now we always stay in Yorkville. My fave and go to part of the City.

Me too. Today is actually my Toronto-versary (8 years!) and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Not to take anything away from the police officer who showed great composure and courage during this arrest. But I can’t help wondering if he was also worried about the repercussions to him if he discharged his weapon. Likely suspension with pay, full SIU and psb review, condemnation by all the civil libertarians especially if the accused was unarmed, , potentially negative press and impact on his family, potential civil actions, etc. Police have to know that they can and should react with force when reasonably required or justified without having their lives potentially ruined.

Not to take anything away from the police officer who showed great composure and courage during this arrest. But I can’t help wondering if he was also worried about the repercussions to him if he discharged his weapon. Likely suspension with pay, full SIU and psb review, condemnation by all the civil libertarians especially if the accused was unarmed, , potentially negative press and impact on his family, potential civil actions, etc. Police have to know that they can and should react with force when reasonably required or justified without having their lives potentially ruined.

It's normal procedure for the SIU to be involved ANY time a cop's weapon is discharged. So, it's not necessarily a case of whether he may have been scared to discharge it. He most likely was putting forth his best efforts to de-escalate without using force.

GOOD! I'm glad he didn't use any force. The suspect wanted to die via 'suicide by cop'. Why give him what he wants when he took from so many others? IMO.

My deepest condolences to the victims and their families and friends - surely it will be difficult, if not impossible, to come to terms with this senseless act.

As I'm one to unabashedly call out the poor behavior of a cop, I want to express my utmost respect to the officer that made this arrest, now identified as Ken Lam - TPS designation unclear to me at the moment.

Mr Lam did the one thing I wish many officers in the past had done with an unarmed suspect - he took a step back more than once. This was very heroic imo = de-escalation. Mr Lam gained control within 30 seconds or so of this smart move.

This is how it's done and I'm very proud that this Canadian officer showed his city, his province, his country and now beyond that an unarmed suspect need not be shot - what is there to learn if the suspect is dead?

I'm very proud of his actions - leadership under the most stressful and fluid moments one can imagine, and a moment most will never find themselves in.

Hoping Mr Lam will be put in charge of all officer training in Canada. This would be the thing to do, eh?

Rbbm.
http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/40883
On Tuesday, April 24, 2018, at 3 p.m., in the auditorium at headquarters, there will be a news conference to update the media on yesterday's tragedy on Yonge Street.

Chief Mark Saunders will be present, along with Homicide Detective Sergeant Graham Gibson and Dr. Dirk Huyer, Chief Coroner for Ontario.

The news conference will be available on TOC and will be live-streamed.
LIVE CONFERENCE @ 3.pm April 24/18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlqRxcwMW5I&feature=youtu.be
http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/40881
Case #: 2018-725711
On Monday, April 23, 2018, at about 1:30 p.m., police were called to a collision in the area of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue East. It was reported that a van had mounted the curb and a number of pedestrians had been struck.
The van has been seized and the driver was arrested.
Victims are still being identified. However, anyone missing a friend or family member can call Toronto Police at 416-808-8085.

Police are also asking the public to please refrain from calling 9-1-1 unless they are in a life or death emergency.
http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/40880
Police are requesting the assistance of the public who may have witnessed this incident.

Anyone with information is asked to please call the investigative hotline at 416-808-8750. A web portal has been opened for anyone who is able to submit photos and/or videos of the incident, please click here.

It's normal procedure for the SIU to be involved ANY time a cop's weapon is discharged. So, it's not necessarily a case of whether he may have been scared to discharge it. He most likely was putting forth his best efforts to de-escalate without using force.

GOOD! I'm glad he didn't use any force. The suspect wanted to die via 'suicide by cop'. Why give him what he wants when he took from so many others? IMO.

Undoubtedly that’s what the officer was doing, I don’t disagree. But I fear what’s coming could be a repeat of the Vince Li case- we have seen it before. A plea of not criminally responsible due to mental illness. Six to ten years of treatment, concurrent with more freedom from confinement each year. Full release back into society within 10 years. If found guilty, I don’t want this guy back on the street, ever.

Undoubtedly that’s what the officer was doing, I don’t disagree. But I fear what’s coming could be a repeat of the Vince Li case- we have seen it before. A plea of not criminally responsible due to mental illness. Six to ten years of treatment, concurrent with more freedom from confinement each year. Full release back into society within 10 years. If found guilty, I don’t want this guy back on the street, ever.

With all due respect - why are we playing the mental illness card? Why do so many continuously pin mental illness with violence? It is extremely extremely rare. Not impossible, but quite rare. Statistically speaking.

Assuming that his FB post about the Incel Rebellion is true, it is entirely possible, that he could be an outcast (as many people have come forward to attest to this), who strongly believes in a warped cause the same way Elliot Rodger did. (and not sure if you know - but in case he's labeled as a psychopath - that isn't a mental illness either) You don't necessarily have to be mentally ill to believe in a cause that would not otherwise be socially accepted.

I think that there is a difference between someone who methodically and deliberately inflicts their evil on society, and someone who genuinely has a mental breakdown.

Toronto van attack suspect Alek Minassian was quickly in and out of Canadian Forces last fall
He has been charged with 10 counts of 1st-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder
Apr 24, 2018

Alek Minassian, the suspect in Monday's van attack in Toronto, joined the Canadian Forces last August and turned up for basic training at Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., in September.

Sixteen days into his 13-week basic training courses he asked to leave and was ultimately released from his service in late October, according to a statement from the Department of National Defence Tuesday.

At no point during his brief time in military training did Minassian display any behaviour that would have pointed to the potential of his involvement in Monday's rampage, according to a senior Canadian Forces official who spoke to CBC News on condition of anonymity.

"He wasn't adapting to the military lifestyle," the official said. "There were no red flags and nothing that would point to anything like this."

He complained about his dislike of military discipline and was quickly judged an average or below-average recruit.

Minassian had problems with dress, deportment and group interactions in the military setting. He had had no weapons training by the time he was released, the official said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/alek-minassian-canadian-armed-forces-1.4633129

I truly don’t believe that Ken Lam (the police officer’s name) had the time in that hugely stressful situation to think about the possible consequences that you mentioned in your post. Those thoughts would have been the furthest from his mind in such an adrenaline-driven, frightening moment.

I highly commend him. He was able to remain completely focused on his strategy to take AM down without shooting him. He even holstered his weapon and used his baton as he approached and got AM down on the ground. His de-escalation skills are exemplary.

James Forcillo (and other police officers) should have been taught by Ken Lam as to how to handle these horrific situations.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With all due respect - why are we playing the mental illness card? Why do so many continuously pin mental illness with violence? It is extremely extremely rare. Not impossible, but quite rare. Statistically speaking.

Assuming that his FB post about the Incel Rebellion is true, it is entirely possible, that he could be an outcast (as many people have come forward to attest to this), who strongly believes in a warped cause the same way Elliot Rodger did. (and not sure if you know - but in case he's labeled as a psychopath - that isn't a mental illness either) You don't necessarily have to be mentally ill to believe in a cause that would not otherwise be socially accepted.

With respect, I am not playing any card. I am simply speculating on a possible defence pleading. I made no connection between mental illness and violence in my post. And I have no idea what or who he follows on social media. In fact I hope he is not found to be mentally ill, and they give him “life” if found guilty (at least life in Canadian judicial terms).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back