Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think the McFadden's may have been involved. Both Robert and his son gained financially from the murder - they both took over two of his three businesses and were paid to execute the will. Then the only blood to be found in the office not belonging to Orland - was that of Galen McFadden. Why was his blood even in the office ? Especially in the sink where a murderer may wash his hands before leaving. They said this blood was from an earlier time - but they messed up the forensics - so could they really be sure ! And why was blood on a paper towel if it were from earlier ! McFadden also claims he and his son left the office at 5.30pm - yet Dennis Oland was supposed to have arrived then and neither saw each other. It was also McFadden that provided a large portion of the evidence which was not corroborated by anyone else and he refused to provide his DNA - why ? The two were never really questioned by the police at all. Also one of the theories was that two weapons were used - could two people have been involved ? It is also easier to cover up your movements and provide alibi's if two people are working together !! Could it be that Oland was going to fire his long term friend or found him guilty of something ? No-one looked at McFadden's finances so no-one knows if there was motive there !
Were they seen leaving the building at the end of the day on video?I find it intriguing that construction was going on in a suite on the same floor and a drywall hammer was possibly used.Did someone hide in there until everyone had left?

Were they seen leaving the building at the end of the day on video?I find it intriguing that construction was going on in a suite on the same floor and a drywall hammer was possibly used.Did someone hide in there until everyone had left?
I guess I didn't follow this case that closely, and I only followed the second trial. I don't even remember these individuals! Anyway, I found this. It would certainly have been easy enough to come back in after the fact though? I guess nothing like that was seen on video however.. is it possible to access the building from the back or side where the cameras can't record?

Oland said he went into his father's office just after 5:30 p.m. Shown surveillance video from the same time period, Oland identified Richard Oland's business associate Bob McFadden and son Galen McFadden walking across Canterbury Street at 5:32 p.m., and then Richard Oland's secretary getting into her husband's car and leaving.

Dennis Oland tells jury he didn’t kill his father

I guess I didn't follow this case that closely, and I only followed the second trial. I don't even remember these individuals! Anyway, I found this. It would certainly have been easy enough to come back in after the fact though? I guess nothing like that was seen on video however.. is it possible to access the building from the back or side where the cameras can't record?

Oland said he went into his father's office just after 5:30 p.m. Shown surveillance video from the same time period, Oland identified Richard Oland's business associate Bob McFadden and son Galen McFadden walking across Canterbury Street at 5:32 p.m., and then Richard Oland's secretary getting into her husband's car and leaving.

Dennis Oland tells jury he didn’t kill his father

Something I always found a bit strange (from the testimony)

He said he later realized he'd forgotten a logbook that he was supposed to take from his father's office to give to an uncle, Jack Connell, so he circled the block and parked in a gravel lot on Princess Street.
The logbook, which was from a camp on his mother's side of the family, was on the table in the middle of the office, Oland said.
Previous witnesses have testified there was blood spatter on the table where Dennis Oland said the logbook had been.

Then he says .....

The next morning, Oland said he delivered the logbook to his parents home where Connell was staying before shopping for parts to repair a problem on a boat his wife co-owns with a friend.

Makes me wonder why his father could not simply take the book home himself ,,, sounds hinky to me

He said he later realized he'd forgotten a logbook that he was supposed to take from his father's office to give to an uncle, Jack Connell, so he circled the block and parked in a gravel lot on Princess Street.
The logbook, which was from a camp on his mother's side of the family, was on the table in the middle of the office, Oland said.
Previous witnesses have testified there was blood spatter on the table where Dennis Oland said the logbook had been.

Then he says .....

The next morning, Oland said he delivered the logbook to his parents home where Connell was staying before shopping for parts to repair a problem on a boat his wife co-owns with a friend.

Makes me wonder why his father could not simply take the book home himself ,,, sounds hinky to me
Ooops

Then he says .....

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that was explained at some point (probably during the second trial, since I didn't really follow during the first one)?

Regarding DO taking the logbook to his uncle who was staying at his parents' residence at the time of the murder rather than RO just simply bringing it home himself, it seems that perhaps RO could not be trusted to do so. It seems RO had asked for the book in the first place so that he could scan it, and in the meantime, he had somehow lost it. He had had it in his possession for a year by this point. The uncle now wanted it back, and wanted to show it to another relative before he left for home the following Wednesday. It was there in RO's office to be returned, so DO took it, phoned the uncle after leaving his father's office that evening to say he had retrieved it and then delivered it to his parents' home the next morning, leaving it just inside.

See tweets here: NOTGUILTY - Canada - Richard Oland, 69, brutally murdered, St John, NB, 7 July 2011

I can't find RO's secretary (Maureen Adamson) testimony in the threads, but I found this article from the first trial:

She spoke with the younger Oland for a few minutes before Richard Oland joined the conversation. The two men had a shared interest in genealogy and were discussing their family tree, Adamson said.

She told the pair about a log book she wanted Dennis Oland to take with him, then shut off the coffee maker, made sure a door to an alleyway was locked, and left the building at around 5:45 p.m.

Secretary says she panicked when she found Richard Oland’s body

Hello True Crime friends :) I am new to Webslueths but have a lot on the Oland case. Is it acceptable to the rules if we discuss The Oland Murder CBC Doc-series? Should I continue on this thread or start a new one.

Theres a lot to unpack!

I’m reviewing the interrogation video and at 1:40:15 Dennis says “I have this green book that somebody wrote back in the early 70’s, that y’know I was gonna give him. And I left that in my office. That was the thing that I had wanted the most.”

That’s kinda weird, right? He’s saying the log book was in his own office and that it’s the item that he had tried to go back to get, but couldn’t because he didn’t have key.
he doesn’t mention the log book again in the interrogation, from what I recall.

I’m reviewing the interrogation video and at 1:40:15 Dennis says “I have this green book that somebody wrote back in the early 70’s, that y’know I was gonna give him. And I left that in my office. That was the thing that I had wanted the most.”

That’s kinda weird, right? He’s saying the log book was in his own office and that it’s the item that he had tried to go back to get, but couldn’t because he didn’t have key.
he doesn’t mention the log book again in the interrogation, from what I recall.

The log book was mentioned during the trial -

The final witness on Tuesday was Jack Connell, Dennis Oland's maternal uncle. He told the court about a family logbook Oland retrieved from his father's office on July 6, 2011.

The defence said it is telling the book had no blood on it, but prosecution lawyers contend Oland removed it from the office before he returned for a third visit when they say he killed his father.”

Dennis Oland joins lawyers, judge for visit to scene of father's murder

But I didn’t think the Log Book and the genealogical information left at “his office” are directly connected, other than his story was he had a connection with his father through their mutual interest in genealogy. DO was employed at CIBC Wood Gundy and I don’t recall it clarified what key he didn’t have but it could’ve been to the main door if others left after him, rather than for his office inside. While it does seem odd, I don’t think it’d have made any difference to his story if he’d collected what he intended to bring along. In the 2nd trial iirc doubt arose by the prosecution having difficulty proving he was the last person at his father’s office regarding the timing, in addition to sloppy police work at the crime scene.

BBM

Oland tells Davidson he went to his father’s office twice that afternoon.

On the first occasion, at about 5:15 p.m., he said he only reached the top of the stairs outside his father’s second floor office when he realized he had forgotten some genealogical information he wanted to share. He leaves, drives back to his nearby office, then realizes he doesn’t have the key to get into his office and returns to his father’s office. He stays until about 6:30 p.m.”

‘I have no reason to want my father dead, to kill him’: Court watches Dennis Oland police interrogation

Yes. The log book returns for the trial(s) but not mentioned again the interrogation. The interrogation is DO's "first story". For me, I tend to fact check his later statements off his 1st story. The first story should be the most complete story.

My point on mentioning this is that- he is not being honest. he says he was going back to his office to get a green book from the early 70's..... how many old green books does this guy have in his genealogy collection? We've only heard of the one.

Then he said that he was to retrieve "pictures" from his dads office. If you listen to the clip, its pretty damning.

His first story is completely abandoned during trial and never mentioned after the interrogation.

Later- during both trials the story has changed to him "retrieving the log book." All witnesses during the trials are saying he was to "retrieve the log book" from RO's office and bring it to his mom's house. He needed to change his story to fit the other witnesses accounts.

To me this is a big deal. Im a nerd for statement analysis and his interrogation is a train wreck, IMO.

It seems there are two books mentioned.. the green book that was in DO's office, and the log book which was in RO's office. Are you sure the two separate items and the two separate events surrounding them aren't being mixed up?

We do know that the log book did make its way to RO's house and was subsequently received by his uncle. DO said he dropped it off, and where, and the uncle confirmed its receipt. It was that one that was talked out during trial, as it had no blood on it, however it *would* have had blood on it in the location it was in when RO's secretary put it there for DO to take with him. That logbook became evidence and was heavily mentioned at trial. The other book, the apparent 'green book', seems not to have been mentioned afterward because, why would it be?

Unless I've got things totally wrong. I am also interested in SA. What other points did you notice in DO's interview?

Last edited:
Hello True Crime friends :) I am new to Webslueths but have a lot on the Oland case. Is it acceptable to the rules if we discuss The Oland Murder CBC Doc-series? Should I continue on this thread or start a new one.

Theres a lot to unpack!
I tried to watch that recently, but I was unable to for technical reasons. Thanks for reminding me. I need to look for that again.

Yes. The log book returns for the trial(s) but not mentioned again the interrogation. The interrogation is DO's "first story". For me, I tend to fact check his later statements off his 1st story. The first story should be the most complete story.

My point on mentioning this is that- he is not being honest. he says he was going back to his office to get a green book from the early 70's..... how many old green books does this guy have in his genealogy collection? We've only heard of the one.

Then he said that he was to retrieve "pictures" from his dads office. If you listen to the clip, its pretty damning.

His first story is completely abandoned during trial and never mentioned after the interrogation.

Later- during both trials the story has changed to him "retrieving the log book." All witnesses during the trials are saying he was to "retrieve the log book" from RO's office and bring it to his mom's house. He needed to change his story to fit the other witnesses accounts.

To me this is a big deal. Im a nerd for statement analysis and his interrogation is a train wreck, IMO.

You’re right, DO may not have been entirely honest about the genealogy angle and it’s possible he whitewashed his story for another reason aside from a coverup from guilt. A child of a raging, domineering patent/father, can develop a tendency to not always be truthful - self-preservation, avoidance from unjust anger, blame and wrath, all that. DOs body language during that interrogation, as if he hoped his chair would swallow him up, left me with the impression of such a person carrying baggage due to a domineering parent.

Therefore if the office visits began with talk of genealogy but turned financial or verged to other realities such as the topic of his father’s affair with the realtor, etc which then led to harsh, angry words - if DO walked out the office door upset but his father still alive - DO may not fabricated a different story as he’d have surely known admittance to any type of confrontation would surely also insinuate his guilt of murder as well. During the interrogation the 2nd detective attempted to paint that same scenario a little too obviously I thought, as if he hoped it to become the ah-ha moment.

But it’s the prosecution who must prove guilt, the defendant isn’t required to prove their innocence. Lies alone do not prove one committed murder. I think the Judge was right in the Not Guilty verdict.

It seems there are two books mentioned.. the green book that was in DO's office, and the log book which was in RO's office. Are you sure the two separate items and the two separate events surrounding them aren't being mixed up?

We do know that the log book did make its way to RO's house and was subsequently received by his uncle. DO said he dropped it off, and where, and the uncle confirmed its receipt. It was that one that was talked out during trial, as it had no blood on it, however it *would* have had blood on it in the location it was in when RO's secretary put it there for DO to take with him. That logbook became evidence and was heavily mentioned at trial. The other book, the apparent 'green book', seems not to have been mentioned afterward because, why would it be?

Unless I've got things totally wrong. I am also interested in SA. What other points did you notice in DO's interview?

You are right. I found the tweets from where he was asked about this during the trial. The defence is saying they are 2 diff books:

• Andrew Cromwell

@Andrew_GlobalSJ
    Miller goes on to why he left Richard Oland's office the first time. Oland says he went for a green book, containing family history info

12:32 PM - 01 Dec 2015
    ReplayRetweetFavorite

• Andrew Cromwell

@Andrew_GlobalSJ
    Green book also contained history on Oland cottage in England @Global_NB

12:33 PM - 01 Dec 2015

Of course they are, lol! He just has a convenient answer for every discrepancy. Personally- I'm confident he could have retrieved it on his second visit and left it in the car during the murder. Seems pretty logical there wouldn't be blood on it.

In the CBC series they show the log book being "green" however I cannot for the life of me find a real picture of it. ugh... Can anyone help me find an image of the log book? I'm apprehensively moving on..

SA-
    Another damning statement from the interrogation is this one. In the context, the cop is asking DO to run through his day from start to finish. Dennis begins-

"Until I went over to his office, it was a very typical day." 1:06:29

What do you guys think he means by this?

You’re right, DO may not have been entirely honest about the genealogy angle and it’s possible he whitewashed his story for another reason aside from a coverup from guilt. A child of a raging, domineering patent/father, can develop a tendency to not always be truthful - self-preservation, avoidance from unjust anger, blame and wrath, all that. DOs body language during that interrogation, as if he hoped his chair would swallow him up, left me with the impression of such a person carrying baggage due to a domineering parent.

Therefore if the office visits began with talk of genealogy but turned financial or verged to other realities such as the topic of his father’s affair with the realtor, etc which then led to harsh, angry words - if DO walked out the office door upset but his father still alive - DO may not fabricated a different story as he’d have surely known admittance to any type of confrontation would surely also insinuate his guilt of murder as well. During the interrogation the 2nd detective attempted to paint that same scenario a little too obviously I thought, as if he hoped it to become the ah-ha moment.

But it’s the prosecution who must prove guilt, the defendant isn’t required to prove their innocence. Lies alone do not prove one committed murder. I think the Judge was right in the Not Guilty verdict.

I love your analogy for the chair swallowing him up because most people see his slouchy position as a sign he is at ease and truthful. I am with you, its inappropriate in the context.

I think he planned it. That it was a built up rage and that's why he kept leaving and returning- because he was chickening out.

Apparently one of the women who co-produced the CBC miniseries is the daughter of DO's defence attorney.

A co-producer of a major documentary series on the Richard Oland murder case broadcast by the CBC is the daughter of Dennis Oland's lead defence lawyer, CBC News has learned.
Gold Teitelbaum "provided the producers with unprecedented access to the defendant, as well as his defence team," Thompson said.

"She received an associate producer credit as a courtesy and while we acknowledge the family connection could be perceived as a conflict of interest, Caitlin had no editorial input."
Wainwright did not reveal in that interview that her co-producer's father was Oland's defence lawyer.
Kimber said audience members would "have a hard job" distinguishing between CBC News content and an independently produced documentary, and in any case the corporation owes it to its audience to be up front about the Gold link.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-dennis-oland-alan-gold-oland-murder-1.5488634

I was looking for the CBC mini series again.. and instead came across some points of interest. I missed parts however, so I have to watch the danged thing again ;/ But of interest, he spoke about two witnesses who were walking to a nearby restaurant about 7:25pm that evening and heard men's voices yelling. Not sure why the defence didn't jump on that. Also of interest, he spoke about who I believe was said to have been RO's best friend 'Bob' (also his accountant) and his son who had been doing construction.. he was never looked into, and now runs the company.

Also interesting (to me) that DO described his youngest sister Lisa saying that RO's gf used to be seen on the family's street, and used to make weird phonecall hangups, like stalker-ish type behavior. imo.

I saw the first two two installments of the CBC series. Does anyone know where I can find the next two? I've tried to find them online. TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back