Found Deceased Canada - Samantha Higgins, 22, LaSalle, QC, 6 July 2015 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Would ( older ) Americans likely use the word yup?

That's an interesting question. Yup strikes me as a cool word from the 70s - at the time when "sick" meant a negative.

'Yup' is a variant of 'yep', and the first use of 'yup' that I can find is in 1906 (link). 'Yep' is first used in 1889 and is American English.

Strictly an Opinion:

My guess: 'Yup' may be the British English slang for yes.

If I was randomly asked to place the time for common use of the slang word 'yup', I would look at the 60s or 70s. The 1940s was war and everyone did as they were told to stay alive. The 1950s was the cold war, the birth of Rock and Roll, and the beginning of a new prosperity. The 60s was a revolution of music, style, sexual liberation, anti-war, and not doing as told. 'Yup', rather than 'yes sir', probably became more common around this decade. However, every generation wants to be different than their parents, so if people in the 60s/70s used 'yup', people in the 80s/90s would avoid it. Has the word come full circle and it is normal slang again today, or can the use of the word be traced back to the traditional, somewhat disrespectful 'yup' of the 60s and 70s?

I have to ask a couple questions regarding the fiancée. If SH was seen to have left the friend's house between 12AM and 1AM there is easily time to walk the 10 minute walk to her house. The call to her fiancée's phone was time stamped @ 1:10. What was the duration of this call? Was there time for a discussion? I think this could be relevant because if it was just a quick answer and hang up it could indicate that there was indeed no "call" or discussion but instead just an effort to leave a time stamp. Secondly, was the fiancée's text records searched to see if HE was in the practice of using the word "yup"? I haven't seen it mentioned here and I hate to be suspicious of her fiancée, but the timeline can make sense if she went home first whereas it doesn't seem to make any sense at all to me any other way. If she did indeed go directly home, could there have been an altercation between her and the fiancée while the kids were asleep and something bad happen? Could he then have needed to timestamp her as being still at the party? Could he have received the text from the friend and inadvertently used a word he would use not one she would use? I feel terrible even suggesting this, however it is easily debunked if the duration of the phone call is long enough for a conversation and there is no record of yup in the fiancées writings.

From personal experience, Vermonters young and old use yup. Might be true in Upstate New York as well as we have similar verbiage and accents.

I have to ask a couple questions regarding the fiancée. If SH was seen to have left the friend's house between 12AM and 1AM there is easily time to walk the 10 minute walk to her house. The call to her fiancée's phone was time stamped @ 1:10. What was the duration of this call? Was there time for a discussion? I think this could be relevant because if it was just a quick answer and hang up it could indicate that there was indeed no "call" or discussion but instead just an effort to leave a time stamp. Secondly, was the fiancée's text records searched to see if HE was in the practice of using the word "yup"? I haven't seen it mentioned here and I hate to be suspicious of her fiancée, but the timeline can make sense if she went home first whereas it doesn't seem to make any sense at all to me any other way. If she did indeed go directly home, could there have been an altercation between her and the fiancée while the kids were asleep and something bad happen? Could he then have needed to timestamp her as being still at the party? Could he have received the text from the friend and inadvertently used a word he would use not one she would use? I feel terrible even suggesting this, however it is easily debunked if the duration of the phone call is long enough for a conversation and there is no record of yup in the fiancées writings.

That's an interesting angle. He said that he thought she was sleeping over at her friend's house, and that's why he wasn't concerned until noon the following day (July 7). Noon the following day would give him enough time to dispose of a body ... but why remove the legs? That just makes a big mess that has to be cleaned up ... unless rigor had set in and it was impossible to bend the body into a shape that fits in a suitcase or a car.

"At the time of death, a condition called "primary flaccidity" occurs. Following this, the muscles stiffen in rigor mortis. All muscles in the body are affected. Starting between two to six hours following death, rigor mortis begins with the eyelids, neck, and jaw. ... Rigor mortis then spreads to the other muscles within the next four to six hours, including the internal organs. The onset of rigor mortis is affected by the individual's age, sex, physical condition, and muscular build. ... Several factors also affect the progression of rigor mortis, and investigators take these into account when estimating the time of death. One such factor is the ambient temperature. When conditions are warm, the onset and pace of rigor mortis are sped up by providing a conducive environment for the metabolic processes that cause decay. Low temperatures, however, slow them down."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigor_mortis

If she was killed, say, between 1-2AM, she was stretched out as though sleeping and the temperature was warm (Montreal temp July 6: 28C, July 7: 30C), then six hours later, at 8AM, she could have been in full rigor mortis (cool temperatures and other conditions could mean 12 hours before full rigor mortis set in). There would have been no way to move her body in daylight except by removing her legs to make to smaller "packages" (sorry for being gruesome). The fiancée had all morning to move the body and then sound the alarm at noon.

According to the fiancée, the conversation at 1:10AM has Samantha confirming that she's having a good time, and even though she was on her way home, she apparently did not tell him that she was on her way home. He then apparently was unconcerned about her until 11 hours later.

Do we know whether her fiancée is among the family members at the site where her upper body was found? It looks like dad, and one family member who appears to be closer to Samantha's age, did not go beneath the bridge to leave flowers. Is the fiancée the man in the blue t-shirt who is sitting on the left?

link for photos: http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/07/11/samantha-higgins-sa-mere-retourne-sur-les-lieux-du-drame
link for Montreal temperatures: http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/montreal/h2k/july-weather/56186

Attachments

• BodyLocation1.jpg
    BodyLocation1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 66
  • BodyLocation2.jpg
    BodyLocation2.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 66
  • BodyLocation3.jpg
    BodyLocation3.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 68
I don't know if that's her fiancé I wanted to see if there was a picture of them together on the Facebook page but it appears it has been deleted.

If you can find her family on FB, there are a number of photos of her with her fiancé on their timelines, as well as a memorial video.

This article indicates that they were able to identify the body quickly due to the tattoos---one of them was her fiancé's name.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/07/10/corps-demembre-retrouve-a-hinchinbrooke

snip... Secondly, was the fiancée's text records searched to see if HE was in the practice of using the word "yup"? I haven't seen it mentioned here and I hate to be suspicious of her fiancée, but the timeline can make sense if she went home first whereas it doesn't seem to make any sense at all to me any other way...snip

This was exactly my first thought when I saw the discrepancy with the timeline of calls/texts. And for me, it had to go either one of two ways...she made it home and bad things unfolded OR she continued to party with someone from the party or nearby and bad things unfolded. The reason I discounted the first theory is that the fiancee must of been under intense scrutiny by the police and there's the 2 small children that were in his care. 10-week-old babies are quite demanding :).

Samantha said that she would be home soon, but I guess she didn't say that she was on her way home.

"Higgins spoke with her boyfriend of seven years by phone around 1:10 a.m. on July 7, said McKernan, who said the time stamp was still in boyfriend Nick's call log. She said she would be home soon"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...anished-after-leaving-friend-s-home-1.3144560

If she said that she would be home soon, why was he unconcerned until noon the following day?

snip... but why remove the legs? That just makes a big mess that has to be cleaned up ... unless rigor had set in and it was impossible to bend the body into a shape that fits in a suitcase or a car....snip

Not to be further gruesome, but it would seem to stand to reason that had rigor mortis set in, there would be significantly less mess to clean up.

Not to be further gruesome, but it would seem to stand to reason that had rigor mortis set in, there would be significantly less mess to clean up.

I'm not sure. Deceased people don't bleed, but if they are dismembered, I would expect the blood to drain - which would be quite a mess. I would assume that the police will be able to enter Samantha's home to do a search - meaning a cooperative fiancee? Has there been any information about that? Could police get a warrant based on the text saying "yup all safe", as that would indicate that she was at home ... but is it enough for a warrant? Quebec law is different from Canadian law, so hopefully someone from Quebec knows how searches are handled in Quebec.

He thought she slept over at her friends. She phoned him at 1:10 to tell him she was having a good time. Per the facebook page.

Here's a link to a site that was set up when she disappeared it's got lots of photos I'd not seen before.
http://www.findingsamatha.com/ (please excuse if this was posted earlier...I did not see it...

The FB seems to have been permanently removed perhaps because of the rumors and speculation going on there?

Samantha said that she would be home soon, but I guess she didn't say that she was on her way home.

"Higgins spoke with her boyfriend of seven years by phone around 1:10 a.m. on July 7, said McKernan, who said the time stamp was still in boyfriend Nick's call log. She said she would be home soon"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...anished-after-leaving-friend-s-home-1.3144560

If she said that she would be home soon, why was he unconcerned until noon the following day?

I would think that if the bf was a violent psycho nutcase, then Samantha's mother would not hesitate to voice her suspicions. And if he used the word "yup", she would likely know. Samantha and bf have been a couple for 7 years, so if he had a habit of saying "yup", then chances are, Samantha would start saying it too.

Would ( older ) Americans likely use the word yup?

Yes, I think so. I've used it, and seen it used, in a fashion such as this: "Are you serious? He really said that??" "Yup. He sure did!" In other words, usually in a more negative way.

Here's a link to a site that was set up when she disappeared it's got lots of photos I'd not seen before.
http://www.findingsamatha.com/ (please excuse if this was posted earlier...I did not see it...

The FB seems to have been permanently removed perhaps because of the rumors and speculation going on there?

Thanks for the link. There are some nice pictures of Sam on there. Now I have a visual of the BF and he wasn't at the site with the family yesterday. He looks so young too :(

Thanks Tarabull, for providing link to the translated article. A couple of things stood out to me

• Re the 1:10am call that Samantha had with her fiance - it mentions that she said she "had" a good time (other reports say she was "having" a good time) This is probably just something lost in translation, because if she said she had a good time, that would indicate that she had already left the party.

• Secondly, it mentioned that she was still wearing the pink dress that she wore the night she went missing. If this was some random sexual assault, I do not believe the attacker would leave her dress on, but someone known to her, may want to leave her dressed. (this is just my opinion, it might not mean anything)

I'm shocked at how many unsolved murdered women/girls there are in the area!

If anyone sees errors, or has something to add, please post a comment and I'll make corrections and updates. I find it shocking to see it laid out on a map. Police must be looking for a serial killer.

Perhaps a wild thought, but there's also the Long Island killer - also some dismembered bodies in those unsolved murders - also close to water.

serial killer is right

Thanks Tarabull, for providing link to the translated article. A couple of things stood out to me

• Re the 1:10am call that Samantha had with her fiance - it mentions that she said she "had" a good time (other reports say she was "having" a good time) This is probably just something lost in translation, because if she said she had a good time, that would indicate that she had already left the party.

• Secondly, it mentioned that she was still wearing the pink dress that she wore the night she went missing. If this was some random sexual assault, I do not believe the attacker would leave her dress on, but someone known to her, may want to leave her dressed. (this is just my opinion, it might not mean anything)

rbbm.
The dress was still on the body?! To make S appear to be a mannequin?
Somehow, that seems even creepier than if she was not dressed, as one would expect to happen in the " cutting process , imo.
Was S completely intact except for her legs?
If so, was that done to make it easier to transport the body, or because of a fetish for legs/feet/shoes?
Could it even be to send some kind of message, ie. you cannot walk away, another baby, keep legs closed (sorry) ect? imo.
Maybe killer started with legs and could not continue..?

Which brings up the point that if someone else had control of her phone it had to be another Anglo 100%. No francophone would know how to say or spell "Yup". Silly as it seems it's the truth.

That is an astute observation - thank-you

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back