CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined this site and some really good discussion here. Just wanted to add my two cents in regards to the criticism against the RCMP and DV investigations.

Background: I am LEO in Ontario, 10+ years policing experience, have dealt with thousands of DV complaints, done dozens of not hundreds of containment type calls.

Regarding the initial containment situation in the first evening of this tragedy, unless you've ever done containment, it is very difficult and can be unorganized in the best of times. Add to this the fact that these rural, short-staffed RCMP officers had probably not done this before and were sorely lacking in resources. Compound that with the fact that the offender had a marked cruiser with lights etc and would be free to move about in/out of the containment zone. We don't know if he had a scanner or not, but that could have been extremely useful as officers typically state exactly where they are posted during containment so the dispatcher can arrange them all for the best coverage. All in all, it would have been extremely easy for him to slip out while the RCMP was waiting for more officers or resources before tightening the containment in daylight possibly, and triaging victims etc.

As soon as they realized the suspect was not accounted for, they should have released an alert. I also work for a very top heavy organization and know all to well that every decision has to be filtered through many layers of duty officer, supervisor, operations centre, etc before anything can get done, so I highly suspect this to be a management issue and this has no fault with the officers on the ground.

Lastly, with respect to DV investigations, it is very hard for police to act if nothing CRIMINAL has been done. I've been to some houses many times and told partners many times about safety planning, suggestions, taken them to friends houses, etc. Unfortunately, I can never actually do anything meaningful until something terrible happens, ie assault or worse. The laws have improved in Canada from the past, in that the partner does not have to "press charges" and the police must lay a charge if they have grounds, but those grounds have to be for something criminal. Most of these abusers know how to thread that needle and stop just short of breaking the law, and typically these relationships follow the cycle of violence (honeymoon period, abuse, forgiveness, etc)

Hopefully more information is released about this so the affected people have closure, but speculating and depending on rumours and hearsay will get us know where.

I have not seen this posted yet but its very eerie, a show with striking similarities aired just a few nights before...

TV show aired days before N.S. shooting rampage features eerie similarities to real-life event

A man named Gabriel goes on a murderous spree while wearing his police uniform. Starting off in a small town, he shoots multiple people, including police officers. He appears obsessed with the woman he calls his girlfriend. As a manhunt closes in on him, he sets a house on fire.

I almost can't believe that. Just... wow.

A man stated during the press conference, still ongoing, said that it was important to note that there's only one road going in and out of the beach and that the killer headed towards to beach after setting fire to at least one residence. I didn't understand why that was important to note, until what he said a few minutes later. He didn't state it directly, but you can put the pieces together...

When LE arrived they found numerous bodies along the road.

The killer had set fires, drove to the beach, and when residents came out to check on their neighbours he drove back down the road and murdered them along the road from his car.

So horrible...

I agree an alarm should have been sent.

I respectfully disagree with the rest of your post. I'm not sure you understand how small and remote this place is. Please try to remember, this is a place with a population of about 100 people. It's not a city and has no local LE. This is not Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, etc.

And whether the RCMP seems dated to you, that's the way it is for a lot of rural Canada. These are not places with municipal LE.

The RCMP binds our country together, fills in the gaps where there is no local LE, and is a symbol for the kinship that all our individual provinces and territories share as one.

While we don't have the RCMP, the policing situation is similar in many rural places in the USA with state troopers filling in for lack of local police. Our town has 2 full-time police officers and the town over has 1. Northern New England (VT, NH, ME) is very sparsely populated outside of the 6 or so cities across all three states. It was hard for me to really grasp after living in NYC my whole life. It's a different world.

Welcome to WS to all the newcomers! It's always bittersweet to welcome new people as it's almost always a bad situation that brings people here. But, we're a good place with good people (and just to let you know, usually when people find us on one specific criminal case, they tend to stay for more. So, settle in.).

jmo

Per the press conference

constable Stevenson Service vehicle and the perps fake LE car collided head on. He then shot and killed her

A passerby had pulled up in a silver suv and the gun man shot and killed the driver and fled in his car

The gun man then headed a short distance south on hwy 224 to a residence of (GG).

He killed her changed to civilian clothing transferred his weapons to her Mazda 3 vehicle and continued towards Enfield where he encountered LE officers at the Irving big stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hskrgrl1955