CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined this site and some really good discussion here. Just wanted to add my two cents in regards to the criticism against the RCMP and DV investigations.

Background: I am LEO in Ontario, 10+ years policing experience, have dealt with thousands of DV complaints, done dozens of not hundreds of containment type calls.

Regarding the initial containment situation in the first evening of this tragedy, unless you've ever done containment, it is very difficult and can be unorganized in the best of times. Add to this the fact that these rural, short-staffed RCMP officers had probably not done this before and were sorely lacking in resources. Compound that with the fact that the offender had a marked cruiser with lights etc and would be free to move about in/out of the containment zone. We don't know if he had a scanner or not, but that could have been extremely useful as officers typically state exactly where they are posted during containment so the dispatcher can arrange them all for the best coverage. All in all, it would have been extremely easy for him to slip out while the RCMP was waiting for more officers or resources before tightening the containment in daylight possibly, and triaging victims etc.

As soon as they realized the suspect was not accounted for, they should have released an alert. I also work for a very top heavy organization and know all to well that every decision has to be filtered through many layers of duty officer, supervisor, operations centre, etc before anything can get done, so I highly suspect this to be a management issue and this has no fault with the officers on the ground.

Lastly, with respect to DV investigations, it is very hard for police to act if nothing CRIMINAL has been done. I've been to some houses many times and told partners many times about safety planning, suggestions, taken them to friends houses, etc. Unfortunately, I can never actually do anything meaningful until something terrible happens, ie assault or worse. The laws have improved in Canada from the past, in that the partner does not have to "press charges" and the police must lay a charge if they have grounds, but those grounds have to be for something criminal. Most of these abusers know how to thread that needle and stop just short of breaking the law, and typically these relationships follow the cycle of violence (honeymoon period, abuse, forgiveness, etc)

Hopefully more information is released about this so the affected people have closure, but speculating and depending on rumours and hearsay will get us know where.

Welcome to WS Josh - I am also (now) in Ontario and my bro is RCMP......I echo your sentiments.......easy to be the armchair quarterback on Monday morning. This isn't a typical event (even in Canada....nevermind rural NS). My thoughts are with all the LE and first responders involved (my bro has met Constables Stevenson and Morrison and it's certainly affecting him)

Per presser

The assault was a significant event and they do believe it was a catalyst to the events.

Still not discounting that there may have been some pre planning

As per PC incident of shooting at firehall involved two RCMP officers and an RCMP vehicle, which they were on the look out for.
Obviously not GW’s “mock up” cruiser. Can you imagine the fear of those inside that firehall? This event was horrific enough without adding victims of “friendly” fire. Just saying. Thank goodness that didn’t happen on top of everything else.

Last edited:
Obviously not GW’s “mock up” cruiser. Can you imagine the fear of those inside that fireball? This event was horrific enough without adding victims of “friendly” fire. Just saying. Thank goodness that didn’t happen on top of everything else.

No. At that point the cruiser was burned on the hwy, by the killer himself. At least, that's the way the timeline seems.

PC An emergency alert was not sent out Saturday evening as LE felt they had the area well contained and believed the suspect to either be in the area, escaped, or to have committed suicide in one of his buildings.

They suspected him to be dead given it was reported he had 3 LE style vehicles and all 3 were accounted for. 2 were burning at his resident in Portapique and one was discovered by LE at his residence in Halifax.

Per press conference

They have not recovered a list

they were contacting people that they believed may be in danger merely bc they had a relationship with the shooter or the Known victims.

Said it’s likely that’s where the confusion came about in regards to a list

Per presser, they have NOT uncovered any kind of a hit list.

Yes. Said LE was contacting those who the killer knew to protect them and that's where the confusion, likely in the individuals or the media that reported it, took place about there being a list.

LE were simply contacting those who knew the killer.

Also, given the new info of there not being a hit list, this could place this crime back in the camp of not premeditated.

Though, given how calculated the killer's actions were, I would wonder if some planning had taken place.

Yes. Said LE was contacting those who the killer knew to protect them and that's where the confusion, likely in the individuals or the media that reported it, took place about there being a list.

LE were simply contacting those who knew the killer.

Makes sense - seems like more of a rage spree than planned and premeditated.

Wow, only 2? So GG and his hunting partner in Wentworth? He just decided to kill all of his neighbors on a whim? Wow.

I was confused. My apologies. He also stated that three individuals who were murdered in their homes also knew him which caused LE to start contacting those who knew him to warn them. Hence there was confusion about there being a "hit list". Which there wasn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members