CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading (and re-reading) the recent RCMP news release, I must admit I have been trying to re-assess what I "know" and what I "suspect" in this matter. At couple of things
When nurses O'Brien and Beaton were killed, I have read the were pulled over in mock police stops. Do we know this? It is my understanding these incidents took place in isolated areas without witnesses. So is this based on (for example) that their cars were pulled carefully onto the shoulder of road, (not run off the road) driver window down as though to talk to the officer? Gunshots indicate close range? I accept the "traffic stop" story but have never had it explained in detail.
The news release stated the idiot had a "significant supply of gasoline" and that it is suspected this was used for the house fires. I am not sure what volume "significant" means though. Again, it makes sense. Elsewhere (not on WS) I read people believe this meant the fires were pre-meditated because he had a ready supply. Again, that is logical.....but is it correct? A friend of mine has stocked up on gas since the price has fallen so much and he has multiple cars, ATV's etc. So just having gas on hand is not the same as premeditation.
In rambling as I just did, I am not questioning the investigators, nor "facts". Rather it shows me that I must caution myself to not jump too far ahead. I cannot let my suspicions become "facts" steering me to conclusions. So many times reading other people's thoughts here I think "I never thought of that angle....." I must keep reminding myself that any "connecting of dots" by me, must be done in pencil, not pen.
I believe one of the 2 nurse's car was in the ditch. Can't find where I read it and not sure I'm accurate but I'm pretty sure one vehicle went off the road. Suggesting they either tried to get away or were shot while driving. There's just so little information out there, that's why I am here. My own communities, and I still don't know what happened.

Yes I agree with you. He was going to kill until he was stopped.

There is a lot to this case. The psychological autopsy will go back into his school OSR for any behavioural problems. I think it will take a min of a year. Is it normal to have a police car inside a house? Of course not. This didn’t just happen it was brewing for a while.

As for domestic abuse of course it’s a huge issue. In every country. Does every man do it? Absolutely not. There was also a violent beating that he did to his dad. We’ll have to continue reading leaks but the report will be very detailed once it is released.

As for the nurses yes I assume they pulled over and he shot them. Perhaps with the handgun. I don’t want to guess.

The girlfriend will be a very key witness. I hope she is doing ok. What a horrible monster this was though.

I had a weird experience many years ago in Dartmouth, a man chased our car from the then Lucifer's cabaret (I think it's still Little Nashville, it's been years since I was there), through quite a few stop signs and at higher speed then I'd like to admit, until eventually I pulled over, got out, and confronted him. Guy said he was a plain clothes cop, said he had his siren on (yet we heard nothing) and asked if we had been drinking. Yup, we had. Then, he just...let us go. I've thought of that so many times over the years, it couldn't have been GW because he's 5 years younger than me, but it was a very odd experience. All I remember about the man, was he was somewhat older than me and not bad looking. Car was black, no lights. Just an odd thing and the last time I ever drank and drove.

I had a weird experience many years ago in Dartmouth, a man chased our car from the then Lucifer's cabaret (I think it's still Little Nashville, it's been years since I was there), through quite a few stop signs and at higher speed then I'd like to admit, until eventually I pulled over, got out, and confronted him. Guy said he was a plain clothes cop, said he had his siren on (yet we heard nothing) and asked if we had been drinking. Yup, we had. Then, he just...let us go. I've thought of that so many times over the years, it couldn't have been GW because he's 5 years younger than me, but it was a very odd experience. All I remember about the man, was he was somewhat older than me and not bad looking. Car was black, no lights. Just an odd thing and the last time I ever drank and drove.

Frightening!

So now we have a slightly different version of events? This makes it appear the perpetrator had gone totally totally insane. He was going to arrest her for her misbehaviour that he imagined she committed?

“ The violence began when the killer, a 51-year-old denturist, went into a murderous rage after an argument with his common-law wife over a video call he made with a female friend, according to a police source briefed on the matter but not authorized to discuss it.

The killer—a heavy drinker with a history of violence and an obsession with the RCMP—was at a gathering with his partner at another home nearby in Portapique, a tiny seaside community 44 kilometres down the Bay of Fundy from the town of Truro in a sparsely populated coastal area of Nova Scotia.

They left after arguing about the call, but resolved the matter, at which point the killer’s common-law wife went to bed, the source briefed on the matter says.

He later woke her up, assaulted her, put one of her hands in cuffs, dragged her to a replica RCMP Ford Taurus, one of several replica police cars he kept. He shot at her twice to get her to move. He put her in the backseat of the vehicle, along with some containers of gasoline.

When he went back into the house, she slipped the cuff off her wrist and escaped from the car by sliding through the plexiglass divider between the front and back seats. She fled into the woods, where she hid until the morning.....”

From same McLeans article, this section seems to be in error, since the girlfriend was said to have stayed in the woods until 6am the following morning?:

While RCMP officers were shooting up the fire hall, unbeknownst to police, the killer was driving around in his replica cruiser through the downtown business district of Truro.

Police have not said why he went there. There is no indication he attempted to gain entry to the hospital where his common-law wife and other shooting victims were being treated.

Truro Police were notified of the shooting when they were asked to assist with a lockdown at the hospital at midnight on April 18. They put extra officers on the next morning and contacted the RCMP to offer assistance but “the RCMP thanked us for our offer but did not ask for assistance,” said spokeswoman Josee Gallant.

From same McLeans article, this section seems to be in error, since the girlfriend was said to have stayed in the woods until 6am the following morning?:

While RCMP officers were shooting up the fire hall, unbeknownst to police, the killer was driving around in his replica cruiser through the downtown business district of Truro.

Police have not said why he went there. There is no indication he attempted to gain entry to the hospital where his common-law wife and other shooting victims were being treated.

Truro Police were notified of the shooting when they were asked to assist with a lockdown at the hospital at midnight on April 18. They put extra officers on the next morning and contacted the RCMP to offer assistance but “the RCMP thanked us for our offer but did not ask for assistance,” said spokeswoman Josee Gallant.

Those comments might refer to the sighting via video of the shooter driving through Truro the next morning for unknown reasons, after the common-law wife and other shooting victims had been admitted to the Truro Hospital (where it appears they were taken to). However the wording is rather confusing indeed.

Apr 28th PC
“We next have him on video driving east on the Plains Road in Debert at 9:57 am.

From there, he travels eastbound on Hwy 4 toward Truro.

We've captured him on video moving through downtown Truro between 10:15 and 10:20 am It doesn't appear he made any stops in Truro.

From Truro, he takes Hwy 2 to Millbrook...”
Speaking remarks: Supt. Darren Campbell - April 28, 2020 | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

The first bold sentence is talking about when GW passed through Truro mid-morning on Sunday. I don't think it is inconsistent with the 2nd bold sentence. RCMP knew from the time the first officer arrived at the scene that multiple people were dead and houses were on fire. They knew they were 4 children hiding. So it'd seem good practice to alert the hospital that they may be sending casualties, for the hospital to lockdown during a major crime/incident, and for local police to be asked to secure the hospital. From my experience, its common for hospitals in New England to go into lockdown when there is an incident on campus or they are informed of a possible threat. Even to keep media out or curiosity seekers out while they deal with the incident and get a handle on what's going on. JMO.

I would be nice if the police would release details of the events that lead up to this rampage- other than to say "significant". A proper timeline of the first call, what exactly that first call was regarding- was it shooting/assault/fire?

IMO.... police staying silent is just making media speculation grow and fill in too many blanks in attempts to understand the sheer evil that occurred. There was an article in the first week that stated she had been tied to a tree, then in the second week it was an article stated she was handcuffed to a chair, now its stated she was handcuffed by one hand,shot at and in the back of the replica cruiser with tanks of gasoline... so confusing and no direct sources are ever cited in the media reports.

I would be nice if the police would release details of the events that lead up to this rampage- other than to say "significant". A proper timeline of the first call, what exactly that first call was regarding- was it shooting/assault/fire?

IMO.... police staying silent is just making media speculation grow and fill in too many blanks in attempts to understand the sheer evil that occurred. There was an article in the first week that stated she had been tied to a tree, then in the second week it was an article stated she was handcuffed to a chair, now its stated she was handcuffed by one hand,shot at and in the back of the replica cruiser with tanks of gasoline... so confusing and no direct sources are ever cited in the media reports.

I always say that the early media reports on anything can have mistakes due to the rush to print. The McLeans article is pretty detailed though so I believe it’s credible.

This case is complex though ... and yes confusing at times. This guy was a very sick man.

This is purely my speculation but perhaps the common-law spouse doesn’t want the details released just yet? If so, RCMP would definitely respect her wishes as a victim of crime because her recovery is far more important than the public’s need to know.

Last edited:
Interesting- when the lady claims that she reported the 2nd case of the assault- she did not witness the incident- she only heard of the incident- perhaps why the police wanted to talk to the other witnesses.

I noticed that as well. You’re right, without any witnesses willing to add their name to a complaint there’s not much police can do in pursuing charges. As for the illegal weapons, the RCMP would require a search warrant to enter the property but I’m not certain a Judge would automatically grant one depending on how long ago in the past this person and her husband were shown the guns. And I don’t think search warrants are real easy for police to obtain if there’s no connection with other criminal activity.

Last edited:
Interesting- when the lady claims that she reported the 2nd case of the assault- she did not witness the incident- she only heard of the incident- perhaps why the police wanted to talk to the other witnesses.
At around 7:00 in the recorded interview linked above, the woman talks about how GW came 'pounding' at her door one night, with his gf in tow, accusing this woman of spreading lies around town and to his gf that he was screwing around on the gf; the woman said to him, 'if the shoe fits, wear it'. She stated he then pushed his gf out the door and threatened the woman by telling her 'you're going to pay for this'. She said this was followed by a few instances of GW driving to her house, getting out of his car and just staring at her house for a half hour each time.

I'm not sure at which point all of the above occurred in relation to the other incidents she mentioned, but I would've thought that in itself might be reason enough to call police. And if she had, and since she had witnessed it first-hand, surely police would have had to follow it up with GW. And not to mention the stalking behaviour, which she said scared her. I guess I find it odd that apparently she did not report that incident?

Also, in case anyone didn't listen to the recorded interview, she and her husband moved at some point, and she said she regrets not having warned the purchasers of their home about GW, because they ended up being killed and the house burned down. She believes that house was burned down not because of the people who lived there at that time, but because of her. (I'm not sure which house the woman used to live in, but if true, that might help to explain why there may have seemed to be some people who didn't necessarily have issues with him? Ugh.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks