CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

From your link, so it appears some of the warrants pertain to investigating connections with others -

“Although the gunman is deceased, prosecutors say the investigation is ongoing and the possibility remains that other people could face criminal charges in relation to the rampage. They say the warrants must be thoroughly vetted before being released to protect the integrity of the investigation.....”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ns-shooting-new-details-1.5564508

“Monday's news release also confirmed that the RCMP behavioural analysis unit is conducting a psychological autopsy of the gunman — an in-depth study that analyzes his personality, his past behaviour and his interactions with others — in hopes of better understanding his motivations.

By interviewing friends, family and acquaintances, a psychological autopsy can provide insight into someone's mental and emotional state, as well as any patterns of abuse, said Jim Van Allen, who used the investigative technique in his past role managing the Ontario Provincial Police's criminal profiling unit. He trained and worked closely with RCMP.

Many violent crimes end up having "multiple motivations and overlapping motivations," he said, and abusive relationships are a common warning sign.

"Sometimes, you might see this coming, but nobody did anything to prevent it. Or, you get to look at the significance of the sequence of events and that might help you determine what was most causative in leading up to the person's decisions to carry out the behaviour that they did," Van Allen said.

"Everybody deserves an explanation, the best possible explanation the police can give. And I believe the psychological autopsy will help provide some of those answers to the people that want to know and deserve to know." .....”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ns-shooting-new-details-1.5564508

“Monday's news release also confirmed that the RCMP behavioural analysis unit is conducting a psychological autopsy of the gunman — an in-depth study that analyzes his personality, his past behaviour and his interactions with others — in hopes of better understanding his motivations.

By interviewing friends, family and acquaintances, a psychological autopsy can provide insight into someone's mental and emotional state, as well as any patterns of abuse, said Jim Van Allen, who used the investigative technique in his past role managing the Ontario Provincial Police's criminal profiling unit. He trained and worked closely with RCMP.

Many violent crimes end up having "multiple motivations and overlapping motivations," he said, and abusive relationships are a common warning sign.

"Sometimes, you might see this coming, but nobody did anything to prevent it. Or, you get to look at the significance of the sequence of events and that might help you determine what was most causative in leading up to the person's decisions to carry out the behaviour that they did," Van Allen said.

"Everybody deserves an explanation, the best possible explanation the police can give. And I believe the psychological autopsy will help provide some of those answers to the people that want to know and deserve to know." .....”
I think one of the challenges of identifying these people is that, fortunately, they're so rare. For eg, if we had potentially very dangerous, world-wide pandemic diseases emerging all the time and wiping out populations and destroying economies, people and governments would have sprung into action immediately on this one, and possibly prevented it.

There are many people who sometimes come across as creepy, controlling and aggressive, and most of us just avoid them if possible. We don't think 'future spree murderer', because 99.9% of the time, they're not. Also, I don't believe women choose to be in a relationship with someone who they believe would ever kill them. If only they could see their life is in danger, IMO that might be the way for them to take action to get away and protect themselves. Instead, there is some kind of mental brainwashing, stockholm-syndrome, as well as dependency, that they choose instead to hope that the good times will come back. Plus a lack of appealing alternatives: hiding in a woman's shelter, living in poverty, being alone, are often far more scary for some women than the prospect of reconciling with their man and living happily ever after.

People like GW are very smart about how to use their aggression to get what they want from other people. They know exactly who they can intimidate, and who won't tolerate aggression. They know where the lines are that can't be crossed, and how to get other people to back off if they accidentally go too far. If you aren't that smart, you end up in jail at 18 and probably die there.

All just my opinion.

"If only they could see their life is in danger, IMO that might be the way for them to take action to get away and protect themselves. Instead, there is some kind of mental brainwashing, stockholm-syndrome, as well as dependency, that they choose instead to hope that the good times will come back. Plus a lack of appealing alternatives: hiding in a woman's shelter, living in poverty, being alone, are often far more scary for some women than the prospect of reconciling with their man and living happily ever after."

Response to Satchie post: There has been a lot of research comparing brainwashing techniques used on prisoners of war during World War 2 and the Korean War, and the psychological terrorizing and manipulation of women by their abusers whose sole aim is to exercise complete Power and control over the women they profess to love. Satche said: "If only they could see their life is in danger". Women in abusive relationships know better than anyone else that they are in danger and statistics prove that the most dangerous and lethal time for a woman is when she takes the decision to leave. So many women are killed by their abusive partners after they leave and there has been precious little that police and the courts can do to guarantee their safety when they leave. Restraining orders, even shelters are unable to protect these women. Where I live, a women's shelter was shot up by her abusive partner hunting her down. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
The motivations of men who commit mass shootings are often muddled, complex or unknown. But one common thread that connects many of them — other than access to powerful firearms — is a history of hating women, assaulting wives, girlfriends and female family members, or sharing misogynistic views online, researchers say (A Common Trait Among Mass Killers: Hatred Toward Women).
Be part of the solution - believe it.

What is the actual solution, aside from believing?

For those who may have missed my earlier post, Halifax Examiner is not an approved MSM source at Websleuths.

MSM reporting on former neighbour of GW who was aware of his domestic violence and weapons: Neighbour reported mass shooter's domestic violence, weapons to police

I have never experienced domestic abuse but I have talked to those that have and also to a former neighbour who was police and for a while during her pregnancy was working on the domestic abuse squad. She said they would have people call terrified for their friend or relatives life and she said there is literally nothing they can do until he does something because of Canada’s laws. It is very frustrating for the police too. At least now will go ahead with charging someone even if the victim doesn’t want it. Add in children, money, where do you go if you have no support system. There’s always a big risk that he could kill the victim. I agree more has to be done.

<modsnip: off topic>

That's distributed by the Canadian Press would I assume is an approved source. They cite the neighbours names, and that they were both military.

Yes, Canadian Press is approved. The article only references that she initially told her story to the Halifax Examiner, so not like it's a cookie cutter article.

I think it says a great deal that a former neighbour who was also a member of Canadian military at the time feared for her own life after trying to intervene in GW's brutalization of his common-law partner. It is telling that other women and men in the Portapique community were also aware of what was happening but chose to look the other way, keep silent. That indicates where education needs to occur in order to intervene in these situations. There are indications that some of GW's relatives were aware of his murderous threats and that he may have boasted of killing others. I wonder if U.S. LE are looking into unsolved cases from his previous residency in U.S.

"hiding in a woman's shelter, living in poverty, being alone, are often far more scary for some women than the prospect of reconciling with their man and living happily ever after". It is important to acknowledge the courage exhibited by women who are terrorized and brutalized by the men who profess to love them, and to appreciate their efforts to protect their friends and family members against the very real threats of their abusers.

When I even just mentioned way back when that the roots of this mass killing were domestic violence, I was basically shot down in flames, especially by two apparently (by their names) male posters. All I'm saying is it STARTED as a domestic abuse incident, and we would be wise not to downplay this aspect of it. I never even breathed the M word because I know how triggering it seems to be for some men. I'm not down on men in general. I have some truly wonderful guys in my life. However, we need to start calling a spade a spade in my honest opinion. Just do research into how many murder victims are women at the hands of an intimate partner, with children and other males often part of that carnage as was the case in Nova Scotia. Every 6 days a woman in Canada is killed by a domestic partner or ex. <modsnip: no MSM to substantiate> Neighbour reported mass shooter’s domestic violence, weapons to police

I think it says a great deal that a former neighbour who was also a member of Canadian military at the time feared for her own life after trying to intervene in GW's brutalization of his common-law partner. It is telling that other women and men in the Portapique community were also aware of what was happening but chose to look the other way, keep silent. That indicates where education needs to occur in order to intervene in these situations. There are indications that some of GW's relatives were aware of his murderous threats and that he may have boasted of killing others. I wonder if U.S. LE are looking into unsolved cases from his previous residency in U.S.

Do you have a link about his previous residency in the US?

When I even just mentioned way back when that the roots of this mass killing were domestic violence, I was basically shot down in flames, especially by two apparently (by their names) male posters. All I'm saying is it STARTED as a domestic abuse incident, and we would be wise not to downplay this aspect of it. I never even breathed the M word because I know how triggering it seems to be for some men. I'm not down on men in general. I have some truly wonderful guys in my life. However, we need to start calling a spade a spade in my honest opinion. Just do research into how many murder victims are women at the hands of an intimate partner, with children and other males often part of that carnage as was the case in Nova Scotia. Every 6 days a woman in Canada is killed by a domestic partner or ex. <modsnip: no MSM to substantiate> Neighbour reported mass shooter’s domestic violence, weapons to police

I too posted several days ago on the link to domestic violence, and have elsewhere as well. Some people are very reluctant to consider that to be plausible. I was uncomfortable enough with some responses that I changed my icon so it did not identify me as female, wondering if that would lead to my opinion being taken more seriously and not pooh-poohed as nonsensical feminist rant.

<modsnip: discussing moderation is a violation of TOS>

Response to Satchie post:
There has been a lot of research comparing brainwashing techniques used on prisoners of war during World War 2 and the Korean War, and the psychological terrorizing and manipulation of women by their abusers whose sole aim is to exercise complete Power and control over the women they profess to love. Satche said: "If only they could see their life is in danger". Women in abusive relationships know better than anyone else that they are in danger and statistics prove that the most dangerous and lethal time for a woman is when she takes the decision to leave. So many women are killed by their abusive partners after they leave and there has been precious little that police and the courts can do to guarantee their safety when they leave. Restraining orders, even shelters are unable to protect these women. Where I live, a women's shelter was shot up by her abusive partner hunting her down. <modsnip>
Yes, I think mind control techniques follow a common pattern in a wide variety of situations, perhaps wherever you find psychopathic behaviour including workplaces, cults, as well as intimate relationships of all sorts. However, just because the techniques are similar doesn't mean that the motives are all the same. We all of us use cars to drive around, but for widely differing purposes.

Since the reasons in each case varies, it follows that it's never a good idea to make blanket claims or assumptions about psychological motives. Sometimes it might be paranoia or other mental illness, or a love of power, a need for control or revenge , or a specific benefit like stealing someone's money.

IMO it's rarely simple hatred. If you truly hate someone, IMO it's impossible to share your home and life with them for an extended period. Imagine inviting a politician or other person you despise to come live with you: it can't be done for a long time, IMO.

I agree that the most dangerous time for a woman in a domestic abuse situation is often when she leaves her partner. I've followed many cases on this site when that has proven to have been the motive for her murder, though there are other motives too, like a new girlfriend, or to inherit her money.

I don't think I have seen anything that said he ever had residency in the US, although he visited there, according to his father. I took the report that he said he had killed in the US as BS he was using to make others think he was capable of killing. It will surprise me if he has other murders, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked. I was looking at one unsolved murder near his Dartmouth home / business that I wondered about....

Mostly, I think people like him escalate over time until they explode, or implode, if they ever actually get that far.

ADMIN NOTE:

When speculation about certain issues is raised (whether misogyny, drugs, domestic abuse, incels, specific mental health issues, religion, etc) they are NOT up for extensive discussion until it becomes known as a fact associated with the particular crime involved (and as/when reported by LE to be germane to the case).

In pretty much every case, we have members who start speculating on various topics that may in fact end up being totally irrelevant. That is why posts get removed ... so it's not about dumbing anybody down, not because we are jerks or don't like you, or we are horrible control freaks. Websleuths has been around a long time and believe it or not, Mods/Admins do have experience and know how these things can derail a thread and end up being stated as fact when it may not be the case.

Sure, some members may have it right from the start (no gloating necessary), but we don't all know that until more facts become known. Wait for the facts before starting wild speculation in every direction.

If members have an issue with Websleuths, its Mods or Admins, how a thread is moderated, what The Rules are and whether or not you agree with them, take it to private messaging rather than dissing WS, challenging moderation, and derailing the thread with such conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeFab