CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
His parents gave up his younger brother at birth for adoption, while they were living in the states. They reconnected about a decade ago. Could that be the US residency connection?
Yes. Presumably, he was with them. The younger brother was born when he was 20 months old. The family went back to New Brunswick after that as he learned to ride a bicycle there, according to his father, finished high school there, went to college, etc.. There are gaps in what has been publicly released about his history. But, I haven't seen anything suggesting a term of residency in the States as an adult. Doesn't mean it isn't so, though.

From your link, no indication the length of time required to thoroughly complete the psychological autopsy but I really do hope the results will serve to prevent an atrocity such as this from ever happening again. And in turn, it might serve as a small amount of solace to loved ones/family members of the 22 victims who lost their lives.

The RCMP’s Behavioural Analysis Unit is conducting a psychological autopsy of the gunman, with the intent of gathering insights into why he committed the acts of violence,” the RCMP said in statement.

“This includes an analysis of his personality, past behaviour and how he related to others.”

Such autopsies examine a wide range of issues — everything from how a killer relates to others, to warning signs, to abuse he might have perpetrated or suffered, previously, according to experts.

Simon Sherry, a psychology professor at Dalhousie University, said these types of autopsies can help provide a motive or offer details on preventative measures around mass murder.

“Those efforts can inform prevention. We can’t have Portapique be just another mass shooting,” Sherry said.

“We need to look closely at all opportunities available to prevent this type of event from happening again.”......”

This is bizarre!

'FBI: Most Wanted' episode days before N.S. shooting rampage features eerie similarities
In the episode, a man named Gabriel goes on a murderous spree while wearing his police uniform. Whether it influenced Gabriel Wortman may be unknowable
Brian Platt April 23, 2020 9:05 PM EDT Last Updated April 24, 2020 9:42 AM EDT

A man named Gabriel goes on a murderous spree while wearing his police uniform. Starting off in a small town, he shoots multiple people, including police officers. He appears obsessed with the woman he calls his girlfriend. As a manhunt closes in on him, he sets a house on fire.

This is not a recap of the awful events in Nova Scotia over the weekend. It is instead a recap of a scripted TV drama that aired in prime time in Nova Scotia just four days before Gabriel Wortman donned a police uniform and went on his rampage that left at least 23 people dead, the worst mass shooting in Canadian history.

‘FBI: Most Wanted’ episode days before N.S. shooting rampage features eerie similarities

:eek::eek::eek:

I believe the photo shown of the Building still standing from outside was that of his shop on 136. (From the satellite imagery)
I believe the burnt down photos are that of the residence in 200 which is right on the Portapique River.

While domestic violence comprises part of this case, and may have been the ultimate catalyst for these killings, domestic violence alone does not explain the victims being comprised of both males and females. It does not explain a prior assault against a male teenager, or the perp's apparent tendencies to steamroll over even members of his own family or others when it came to financial transactions. It does not address or explain his penchant for weapons, for acquiring police issue apparel and vehicles that allowed this crime to be committed to the extent that it was. This is in no way meant to diminish domestic violence as a factor in this tragedy, only to point out that domestic violence itself is rooted in other deep-seated psychological issues.

A full psychological autopsy is yet to be completed by experts. Domestic violence will most likely be considered as part of that analysis, but it will go into his background, his childhood, various other relationships ... well beyond that to discover how this individual turned into who he was, this person who committed not only acts of domestic violence, but other acts that we can't put down to domestic abuse/violence being the only factor that precipitated this horrific incident. There may well be other in-depth investigations and explanations for what even preceded domestic violence, so at this time it is not known to be the only psychological component that will be considered.

Yes. Presumably, he was with them. The younger brother was born when he was 20 months old. The family went back to New Brunswick after that as he learned to ride a bicycle there, according to his father, finished high school there, went to college, etc.. There are gaps in what has been publicly released about his history. But, I haven't seen anything suggesting a term of residency in the States as an adult. Doesn't mean it isn't so, though.

I asked similar regarding the archived pdf news article-my post was removed by the moderator. Obviously there was a connection to the USA , potential time spent in the USA and ability to acquiring items from the USA. The police had stated in April 28 press conference that they had spoken to someone in the USA as a response to a reporters question though not elaborated on further. I have not seen anything to state the gunman was a resident of the USA.

I believe the photo shown of the Building still standing from outside was that of his shop on 136. (From the satellite imagery)
I believe the burnt down photos are that of the residence in 200 which is right on the Portapique River.
I noticed the same thing. It looks like the photos from the “inside his “home” are from his address at 136 Orchard Beach Dr., which served more as a garage/shop/museum/vanity project. The burned-out wreckage shown immediately afterward is of his log cabin home at 200 Portapique Beach Rd., giving the false impression that the interior photos and the exterior wreckage are of the same house. If you go on the Viewpoint Canada website (type in the 200 PB Rd. address, then click the “view details” button, followed by the “sales/price history” tab, pictures of his home can be accessed under an expired listing that ran from 2007 until 2011) it’s clear from the photos there, and the exterior photos and the structure of the roof in the Global News video, that they are different structures. You would think, after three weeks, that the media would be able to differentiate the two, and accurately report in which structure the assault took place. Unless I missed something, it hasn’t been reported yet in which structure the assault took place, correct?

Last edited:
I think it says a great deal that a former neighbour who was also a member of Canadian military at the time feared for her own life after trying to intervene in GW's brutalization of his common-law partner. It is telling that other women and men in the Portapique community were also aware of what was happening but chose to look the other way, keep silent. That indicates where education needs to occur in order to intervene in these situations. There are indications that some of GW's relatives were aware of his murderous threats and that he may have boasted of killing others. I wonder if U.S. LE are looking into unsolved cases from his previous residency in U.S.

so if there were reports filed- not only from family- but also close neighbors about the gunman's past behaviour, previous documented assault charges and his known collection of weapons- surely the police would have had past encounters with the gunman, yet i thought the Supt Campbell said he was not previously known to police?

so if there were reports filed- not only from family- but also close neighbors about the gunman's past behaviour, previous documented assault charges and his known collection of weapons- surely the police would have had past encounters with the gunman, yet i thought the Supt Campbell said he was not previously known to police?

Are you sure Campbell said he wasn’t previously known to police and if so, could you link it please?

However he didn’t have a criminal record for the 2001 assault charge because -
“Wortman received a conditional discharge, meaning he wouldn't have a criminal record as long as he followed a number of conditions during nine months of probation, and paid a $50 fine.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/portapique-property-dispute-1.5542739

Other civil court records are listed on the link above as well.

Are you sure Campbell said he wasn’t previously known to police and if so, could you link it please?

However he didn’t have a criminal record for the 2001 assault charge because -
“Wortman received a conditional discharge, meaning he wouldn't have a criminal record as long as he followed a number of conditions during nine months of probation, and paid a $50 fine.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/portapique-property-dispute-1.5542739

Other civil court records are listed on the link above as well.

apologies. It was quoted by Supt Leather. Near the very End of article. I’m Also looking to see press conference April 19/20 if that’s where it was first mentioned.

Nova Scotia mass shooter was a denturist with an obsession for policing - The Globe and Mail

The RCMP’s Behavioural Analysis Unit is conducting a psychological autopsy of the gunman, with the intent of gathering insights into why he committed the acts of violence,” the RCMP said in statement.

“This includes an analysis of his personality, past behaviour and how he related to others.”

Such autopsies examine a wide range of issues — everything from how a killer relates to others, to warning signs, to abuse he might have perpetrated or suffered, previously, according to experts.”

The photos of one of GW's homes, included in the Global article mentioned above, shows he stored a car and bikes inside. Why do that when he had at least one garage? Will the psych autopsy take into account such elements of his personality?

The photos of one of GW's homes, included in the Global article mentioned above, shows he stored a car and bikes inside. Why do that when he had at least one garage? Will the psych autopsy take into account such elements of his personality?

Perhaps because the display of the replica RCMP car would seem to indicate an unusual obsession considering he was never a police officer. However it’s not entirely unusual for guys to proudly feature restored vehicles as a centrepiece in their front room, as odd as it may seem. I’ve noticed photos on the web of this weird trend.

apologies. It was quoted by Supt Leather. Near the very End of article. I’m Also looking to see press conference April 19/20 if that’s where it was first mentioned.

Nova Scotia mass shooter was a denturist with an obsession for policing - The Globe and Mail

Thanks, interesting. I honestly don’t know what “known to police” refers to or if police retain complaint files on citizens aside from criminal records.

Laws regarding domestic violence have changed in recent years. At one time the actual victim was required to file or at least support a complaint before police could proceed with assault charges, as her statement was required to proceed. Now if 911 is called and police see evidence of an assault (I assume bleeding, bruises, etc) charges can still be laid even if the victim isn’t cooperative.

IMO here there’s not enough details available to determine the history of the relationship that occurred between these two. She’ll be able to speak out if she wants to, when the time is right.

I totally agree with you on this- I came up with the same deduction. The first set of photos are clearly the garage/workshop which sometimes gets referred to as his "home" for some reason, and in the second scene (with the lounge chair and rock walls) you can see the distant trees from across the river.

After reading (and re-reading) the recent RCMP news release, I must admit I have been trying to re-assess what I "know" and what I "suspect" in this matter. At couple of things
When nurses O'Brien and Beaton were killed, I have read the were pulled over in mock police stops. Do we know this? It is my understanding these incidents took place in isolated areas without witnesses. So is this based on (for example) that their cars were pulled carefully onto the shoulder of road, (not run off the road) driver window down as though to talk to the officer? Gunshots indicate close range? I accept the "traffic stop" story but have never had it explained in detail.
The news release stated the idiot had a "significant supply of gasoline" and that it is suspected this was used for the house fires. I am not sure what volume "significant" means though. Again, it makes sense. Elsewhere (not on WS) I read people believe this meant the fires were pre-meditated because he had a ready supply. Again, that is logical.....but is it correct? A friend of mine has stocked up on gas since the price has fallen so much and he has multiple cars, ATV's etc. So just having gas on hand is not the same as premeditation.
In rambling as I just did, I am not questioning the investigators, nor "facts". Rather it shows me that I must caution myself to not jump too far ahead. I cannot let my suspicions become "facts" steering me to conclusions. So many times reading other people's thoughts here I think "I never thought of that angle....." I must keep reminding myself that any "connecting of dots" by me, must be done in pencil, not pen.

I think there’s a lot more to Debert than we know about. There’s old military airport, shooting ranges, bunkers, back roads, storage lockers ect back there he could have been up to anything. I’m sure he was on his way to his next victims house after stewiacke, there were probably a lot more in the Dartmouth area and hrm that were on his hit list as well.

I'm from Shubie (Shubenacadie), and used to work in Debert up behind Specialty Steel on Dakota Rd, if he parked up where our program used to be, no one would have seen him at all at night, it's trees and blueberries and deer and not much else. The old "Deiffenbunker" is there in Debert somewhere (I've never seen it), as is what used to be the military base, a few houses, some businesses but not a lot. The shooting range is part of the old base I think.

Nova Scotia's a sparsely populated rural area and Colchester and Hants Countys are pretty large and spread out. This shooting spree was simply insane...it scares us in a way we've never been afraid before. We're friendly, we're Maritimers, we always stop for the cops. We answer doors, and we rarely lock doors! (We do now.)

Stewiacke used to have an RCMP detachment in my day, but it moved to Enfield some years ago. GW would have known it, as he was from NB, getting from his places in Portapique back to the city, he no doubt knew the short cuts we all knew, where cops would and wouldn't be. He would have known he was relatively safe to drive from Truro to Shubie on the old highway.
I didn't know this guy, but he ran through my stomping grounds, drove back roads we locals took, the old highway from Hilden to Shubie...we're lucky he got stopped in Enfield, because I sense if he'd made it to either the airport or HRM the death count would have been magnified further.

I'm from Shubie (Shubenacadie), and used to work in Debert up behind Specialty Steel on Dakota Rd, if he parked up where our program used to be, no one would have seen him at all at night, it's trees and blueberries and deer and not much else. The old "Deiffenbunker" is there in Debert somewhere (I've never seen it), as is what used to be the military base, a few houses, some businesses but not a lot. The shooting range is part of the old base I think.

Nova Scotia's a sparsely populated rural area and Colchester and Hants Countys are pretty large and spread out. This shooting spree was simply insane...it scares us in a way we've never been afraid before. We're friendly, we're Maritimers, we always stop for the cops. We answer doors, and we rarely lock doors! (We do now.)

Stewiacke used to have an RCMP detachment in my day, but it moved to Enfield some years ago. GW would have known it, as he was from NB, getting from his places in Portapique back to the city, he no doubt knew the short cuts we all knew, where cops would and wouldn't be. He would have known he was relatively safe to drive from Truro to Shubie on the old highway.
I didn't know this guy, but he ran through my stomping grounds, drove back roads we locals took, the old highway from Hilden to Shubie...we're lucky he got stopped in Enfield, because I sense if he'd made it to either the airport or HRM the death count would have been magnified further.

Yes I agree with you. He was going to kill until he was stopped.

There is a lot to this case. The psychological autopsy will go back into his school OSR for any behavioural problems. I think it will take a min of a year. Is it normal to have a police car inside a house? Of course not. This didn’t just happen it was brewing for a while.

As for domestic abuse of course it’s a huge issue. In every country. Does every man do it? Absolutely not. There was also a violent beating that he did to his dad. We’ll have to continue reading leaks but the report will be very detailed once it is released.

As for the nurses yes I assume they pulled over and he shot them. Perhaps with the handgun. I don’t want to guess.

The girlfriend will be a very key witness. I hope she is doing ok. What a horrible monster this was though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks