CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

"He says owning old police vehicles is not illegal as long as they aren’t adorned with police decals or are otherwise inappropriately marked with government insignia."

Did the neighbors see the vehicle that was outfitted to look exactly like an RCMP cruiser before the mass killing? I think it was in the 'warehouse' where people would go for drinks. Couldn't they have notified the authorities about the car?

Maybe he didn’t own a cellphone (although I find that a little hard to believe given he ran two denture clinics) but most likely the majority of his victims did. He stole cars, he certainly wouldn’t be exempt from stealing cellphones if he wanted to and he’d probably know there’d be far less chance he’d be tracked.

I thought I read he didn’t have a cell phone but it could be he just didn’t have it with him:

“He smashed her [the gf’s] cell phone and didn’t have one himself, she said.”

N.S. mass shooting: Documents show killer was ‘paranoid’ about COVID-19 pandemic before rampage

JMO but maybe with his paranoia and thought process he didn’t have a cell phone at all because he knew “big brother” could know where he was at any time even if he wasn’t committing crimes.

"He says owning old police vehicles is not illegal as long as they aren’t adorned with police decals or are otherwise inappropriately marked with government insignia."

Did the neighbors see the vehicle that was outfitted to look exactly like an RCMP cruiser before the mass killing? I think it was in the 'warehouse' where people would go for drinks. Couldn't they have notified the authorities about the car?

Some reports have suggested he had even talked to authorities about the mocked up cruiser:

"He said that he had talked to the police," the funeral director said. "That they suggested to him, if he was going to take it to car shows, that he not drive it on the road, but take it by trailer.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia-killer-fake-cruiser-1.5543176

I have to retract my previous speculation that he might not have had a cell phone at all. The funeral director m Dartmouth who talked about the mocked up vehicle refers to GW’s cell phone:

“Walker says Gabriel Wortman, a 51-year-old denturist, pulled out his cellphone on one of the last occasions that they saw each other.”

As we sit on our couches viewing the news of this tragedy from a distance, there’s probably a dozen or more “could’ve/should’ve“ we could criticize others for not doing. But the fact is nobody had the ability to predict this monster was a ticking time-bomb. On the surface he was a successful, wealthy denturist with some weird obsessions.

I hope everyone who crossed paths with this character is able to move beyond feeling guilty for what they could’ve done but didn’t do, because nobody is responsible for this killer choosing to embark on a sudden cold-blooded murder spree. Blaming oneself for the actions of another person can become a heavy burden to bear. JMO

Last edited:
I have to retract my previous speculation that he might not have had a cell phone at all. The funeral director m Dartmouth who talked about the mocked up vehicle refers to GW’s cell phone:

“Walker says Gabriel Wortman, a 51-year-old denturist, pulled out his cellphone on one of the last occasions that they saw each other.”

Thanks for finding that.

Even for the fact his properties were apparently heavily monitored by security equipment suggests he probably had a cellphone or at least a cellular enabled device to monitor it when he wasn’t present.

From your link, this answers what I was wondering -
“He (District 10 councillor for area including Portapique) says the community has had counsellors from the Department of Justice offering help to residents who are struggling.”
Even if that entire lot was levelled, I don't know if I was living on that road, if I could do it. I feel for Leon Joudrey, who's staying in the woods. In the woods you only need to worry about black bears and maybe coyotes. Both of whom aren't usually threats to humans. Those poor residents...my heart breaks for them.

Even if that entire lot was levelled, I don't know if I was living on that road, if I could do it. I feel for Leon Joudrey, who's staying in the woods. In the woods you only need to worry about black bears and maybe coyotes. Both of whom aren't usually threats to humans. Those poor residents...my heart breaks for them.
Those are empathic thoughts, but, IMO, the monster who suddenly emerged from this village is dead. He's like the dragon in the fairy tales, he's been slayed and the villagers are safe.

I don't believe the people in Portapique, or anywhere else, should live in perpetual fear that their neighbours are potential killers. This is incredibly rare, it almost never happens. It will certainly never happen again in Portapique! We need to live together in neighbourhoods, towns and cities, and take care of each other, not all retreat to the woods and live in fear of each other.

I agree with you about 136 Orchard Beach rd. being the shop/party room/location of fake cruiser and 200 Portapique Beach Rd. being the "home". There did appear to be a bed in the loft there from the pics. Tyler Blair said in his interview on MSM that much and that there was a path through the woods behind the workshop leading to the "home". The "home" at 200 Portapique Beach Rd. definitely was burned down. There are videos on MSM showing the debris with metal lounge chairs and rock walls in the background, with a bbq tank on its side.... for reference if you see it. At the end of the video the camera person zooms in to the civic number #200 that is in front of the debris. Sorry I don't have a link to this as it was on the news last week.
As for confirmation that there were more than 3 fires, yes there was, at a press conference the RCMP said there were at least 5 structure/and or vehicle fires when they were responding to the tragedy in Portapique but the RCMP have not been really clear about which ones. You mentioned the Workshop at 136, the "home" at 200, the Blair's and the Zahl's. Jolene Tuck's sister was interviewed and said that the Tuck home was not burned down, but the Bond's house nearby was and the Madsen/Gulechyn home too. That equals at least 6 without counting burning vehicles. 7 when you count in the Jenkins/MacLeod home (and 2 vehicles) on Hunter Rd. If they are counting vehicles too then Constable Stevenson's and the fake cruiser were also burned. I also heard in one report that Lisa McCully's house where the 4 children were hiding was also lit on fire, but there really hasn't been any info to confirm this....
The carnage and devastation is completely unfathomable to me. My heart is still broken over this a month later.

C90174BC-E149-4BA4-801D-81397F58636B.jpeg This is my very first post as I am new to the group. Please forgive me if I have replied in the wrong place. I’m just learning how to get around in here. I have attached a satellite photo annotated with 8 of the 9 crime scenes in Portapique. 5 of the 8 crime scenes were burned. I understand that the 9th crime scene was Corrie Ellison who was found deceased on the road at the top of Orchard Beach Drive. This information was compiled using RCMP briefings, RCMP Information to Obtain a Search Warrant (ITO) document released yesterday, FB pages and videos, municipal building permit pages and other internet research. I believe this to be correct. I also understand that Lisa McCully, teacher, is not the same Lisa that was GW’s common law spouse. From the municipal building permits I found that GW applied in October of 2013 to build the warehouse at 136 Orchard Beach Drive with a loft apartment.

It’d be a good thing if the entire community could be razed and a naturalized memorial park put in its place. It must be extremely difficult for survivors to continually be faced with the gaping holes left by the burnt structures, a constant reminder of the senseless massacre of those who are no longer living. The name of Portapique will be associated with the greatest mass murder in Canadian history for years and I can’t imagine anyone yearning to buy property in a place associated with tragedy and grief. JMO

Those are empathic thoughts, but, IMO, the monster who suddenly emerged from this village is dead. He's like the dragon in the fairy tales, he's been slayed and the villagers are safe.

I don't believe the people in Portapique, or anywhere else, should live in perpetual fear that their neighbours are potential killers. This is incredibly rare, it almost never happens. It will certainly never happen again in Portapique! We need to live together in neighbourhoods, towns and cities, and take care of each other, not all retreat to the woods and live in fear of each other.

I know he's dead, but he's still a monster, who made my entire province afraid. I am up every night till dawn, because I'm ridiculously afraid, when dawn comes I go to bed. (Old night shift nurses are forever messed up) I have a single shot 22, and it being loaded, and me being my father's daughter (a really good shot) makes me a bit less afraid.

I stop and LOOK at the RCMP officers and their detachment in my little town outside of Truro. That's what grinds me, the fact that these poor officers now have me afraid of them. (I guess I now understand a bit how POC feel?) Our collective innocence is lost.

This affects me because it's my home-- Shubie (Shubenacadie) my hometown, Debert my once work, the VON my old employer, Onslow, Belmont, Glenholme all places I once lived. Hidden Hilltop Campground, my ex'es family owned, my best friend's husband and family all from Portapique. There's no 6 degrees of separation for me. This is SO personal.

I couldn't go to visit the memorials this last weekend, because my husband was with me, and this is private grief. I have to go it alone, and deal with it alone.
Most of us in Nova Scotia are taking this pandemic seriously, which means no visiting, no coming together in grief or remembrance, and while the online vigil was lovely, it's not the same as being with actual live people. The families of the victims must feel so alone.

It’d be a good thing if the entire community could be razed and a naturalized memorial park put in its place. It must be extremely difficult for survivors to continually be faced with the gaping holes left by the burnt structures, a constant reminder of the senseless massacre of those who are no longer living. The name of Portapique will be associated with the greatest mass murder in Canadian history for years and I can’t imagine anyone yearning to buy property in a place associated with tragedy and grief. JMO

It's pretty upscale for middle of nowhere, because it's truly lovely cottage country. House prices are relatively high there. I hope the community as a community, can move past this together, and not be defined by that horrible moniker of "Worst mass murder in Canadian History". I don't want to see the community razed, just GW's holdings leveled, which they have been. But I don't live there, he obviously terrorized that community for years.

It's pretty upscale for middle of nowhere, because it's truly lovely cottage country. House prices are relatively high there. I hope the community as a community, can move past this together, and not be defined by that horrible moniker of "Worst mass murder in Canadian History". I don't want to see the community razed, just GW's holdings leveled, which they have been. But I don't live there, he obviously terrorized that community for years.

Yes this would certainly be a decision for the community. I hope it’s being considered.

Fundraising endeavours have been extremely lucrative in the past for example $15 million was raised for Humboldt hockey team. If it were me, I’d want out asap, to take the opportunity to start over without being faced with daily reminders of the tragedy. But I just can’t see a robust real estate market happening there any time soon which then leaves the survivors trapped. It’s not always easy to move forward when there’s no change between yesterday and tomorrow.

I know he's dead, but he's still a monster, who made my entire province afraid. I am up every night till dawn, because I'm ridiculously afraid, when dawn comes I go to bed. (Old night shift nurses are forever messed up) I have a single shot 22, and it being loaded, and me being my father's daughter (a really good shot) makes me a bit less afraid.

I stop and LOOK at the RCMP officers and their detachment in my little town outside of Truro. That's what grinds me, the fact that these poor officers now have me afraid of them. (I guess I now understand a bit how POC feel?) Our collective innocence is lost.

This affects me because it's my home-- Shubie (Shubenacadie) my hometown, Debert my once work, the VON my old employer, Onslow, Belmont, Glenholme all places I once lived. Hidden Hilltop Campground, my ex'es family owned, my best friend's husband and family all from Portapique. There's no 6 degrees of separation for me. This is SO personal.

I couldn't go to visit the memorials this last weekend, because my husband was with me, and this is private grief. I have to go it alone, and deal with it alone.
Most of us in Nova Scotia are taking this pandemic seriously, which means no visiting, no coming together in grief or remembrance, and while the online vigil was lovely, it's not the same as being with actual live people. The families of the victims must feel so alone.

I’m sorry to hear you are now left with fear, including that of police officers. If this is happening throughout Nova Scotia to folks who didn’t come in direct contact with GM that weekend, he is still holding great power and control beyond the grave - by causing strangers to be frightened. This is one step away from the same dynamics involved in an abusive relationship.

My thoughts to N.S. would be I hope they won’t let a despicable dead man bully the entire province.

Last edited:
200 Portapique Beach Rd Deck.jpg The fire did not destroy the deck at 200 Portapique Beach Rd.
200 Portapique Beach Rd-Dozed.jpg Even though the house has been bulldozed you can still see the roof of the hut and the fireplace/oven on the deck in the background.I wonder when they will demolish it.

View attachment 247768 The fire did not destroy the deck at 200 Portapique Beach Rd.
View attachment 247769 Even though the house has been bulldozed you can still see the roof of the hut and the fireplace/oven on the deck in the background.I wonder when they will demolish it.
Welcome TenBlue! You may be new, but wow, you sure are posting some insightful, valuable information! Thank you so much for the pictures. I believe your map of the homes is correct as well, but it literally took me a month to piece it all together! I also had come to the belief that Corrie Ellison was shot on the top of Orchard Beach Rd. after seeing the RCMP map with red pins showing the crime scenes. There was one there that did not correspond to any structure. This jived with his brother's interview as well and did not appear to be anywhere near the beach. Please keep it up posting terrific info! Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member