CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Survivors guilt - it’s very real, following any major catastrophic event.

Survivor guilt - Wikipedia
“a mental condition that occurs when a person believes they have done something wrong by surviving a traumatic event when others did not, often feeling self-guilt....It may be found among survivors of combat, epidemics, murder, natural disasters, rape, terrorism, among the friends and family of those who have died by suicide, and in non-mortal situations.”

One of the interesting tidbits from today’s news is that the girlfriend was apparently restrained in the car while the shooter poured gasoline over the floor of his cottage at 200 PB Rd. and 136 OB Dr., and escaped after he had lit both properties on fire. Which means he drove her from 136 OB Dr. to 200 PB Rd. and back to 136 OB Dr. before she escaped. That helps explains the level of destruction in such a short period of time. His two homes were already on fire before he started killing people.

“…the girlfriend watched GW “pour accelerants in the cottage (200 Portapique Beach Road) and the warehouse and observed that there were several firearms on the front seat of an out of commission police car.” The girlfriend “managed to escape” and “ran into the woods,” where she hid until morning.”

It also details the whereabouts of the witness who was shot at and injured. He had just driven by what appears to be, by the description, the Gulenchyn house (attached is a photo of their house, from 2013 before they owned it. It is small and visible from the road; here is the satellite map of their residence):

“Meanwhile, the ITO states, two people saw “what appeared to be a large structure fire” on Orchard Beach Road. They called 911 and then got in their car and drove towards the fire. They saw a small blue house on fire, “and that there was a ‘police car’ parked in the driveway, not far from the fire.”

“The pair believed the ‘police car’ was simply waiting for firefighters to arrive. They drove past it and came upon GW’s “whole garage [which] was engulfed by fire.” They called 911 again, and the call taker said they were aware of the fire. So the pair turned around and then came back up the road, passing the blue house again. “They noticed the whole kitchen of the house was on fire and they could see that the fire was spreading super quick.”

The “‘police car’ came up from behind them and then pulled up along side of them.” The man who was driving assumed there was a cop in the ‘police car’ who wanted to talk to him, so he rolled down his window. “But before he could say anything, he pulled a gun out and started shooting at them through his passenger side window into [their] driver side window; his vehicle was about 2 feet away from [their] vehicle.”

That would seem to indicate that the Gulenchyn house was the last attack before the shooter slipped away, and the Blairs and Lisa McCully, the first victims shot after he set fire to his own homes. That means between around 10 p.m. and just before 10:26, when the witness was shot at and wounded, the shooter went to the Zahl-Thomas house, the Oliver-Tuck house and the Bonds house, in what order and by what path we don’y know yet. It is also conceivable that the shooter went to the Zahl-Thomas house after the Gulenchyn house and escaped down Faris Ln to Cobequid Ct. through a back way that would connect him first to the very southern tip of Orchard Beach Dr. From the east end of Cobequid Ct. he could have tured left onto a path (photo 20, I believe, in the Viewpoint Canada link) that leads to Brown’s Loop and out of the Portapique neighborhood.

Attachments

• Gulenchyn house.png
    Gulenchyn house.png
    1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
he planned it!:

“Wortman recently bought $800 worth of gasoline,” the document said.

this part is shocking:

She said the gunman had a relationship with someone in the RCMP and had one of his uniforms, though it didn’t fit.

“He had a fluorescent yellow jacket and he would put it in the front seat to make it look like he was a police officer,” according to the document

Nova Scotia gunman was a ‘psychopath’ and ‘paranoid’ about COVID-19 pandemic: court doc

Last edited:
'I can't go back': Haunted by mass shooting, man who sheltered gunman's girlfriend scared to go home
He's a friend of a friend.
Shooter knew he was a hunter, and had weapons. So he wasn't totally crazy.
The party referenced, was at the Blair's.
We'll never know what happened. Not until she breaks her silence, the unknown girlfriend. The world's already had so many mass shootings since ours.
But we'll NEVER be the same. Our little province is just reeling. And we lost a Snowbird (Aerial Team, not the peoples who go to Florida) too this weekend.

Last edited:
So maybe there was no party -

“On the night of April 18, Wortman and another person — a woman whose name is redacted but is presumed to be his common-law spouse at the time — were at their property on 136 Orchard Beach Dr. in Portapique, which police call “the warehouse.”

“During the evening an argument ensued,” during which Wortman assaulted the woman, the document says.

Before the rampage, Wortman and his common-law spouse were having drinks and Facetiming friends.

What happened next is redacted from the document but she told police Wortman “poured gasoline all inside the cottage” and leading to the warehouse, “so Gabriel could burn that.” He also poured gas onto his cars and Jeep.

He smashed her cell phone and didn’t have one himself, she said. Again what happened next is redacted until the woman escaped and fled into the woods...”
N.S. mass shooting: Documents show killer was ‘paranoid’ about COVID-19 pandemic before rampage

I am thinking that too that there was no party.

The witness told the police officers the replica vehicle had a police number on it. “The one (the car) that we saw parked was definitely badged,” the witness is quoted as saying.”
Warning signs of N.S. mass shooter’s paranoia, guns, prior abuse noted in warrant
I hoped the "badged" reference in the statement is something the witness is saying in retrospect and not his recollection of what he told police when he met them that night as he was fleeing. I guess if it is what he told them, that it was "badged", the police may have believed it was inside the burning building, which is, in fact, where it had been.

“He knew I had firearms, which are legal of course, but he knew I was confrontational and I might interrupt his plan. That’s the only thing I can think of.”
I wondered what he was saying here. I guess he was saying the shooter maybe feared this fellow had the means and might fight back. Fair enough... GW just didn't go there.

I think "Friar" Tuck likely had the means, and GW likely knew he was likely to fight back, if he could. He just caught the Tuck family unaware, unprepared.

Likely, Blairs also had the means to fight back. There are probably a few people there feeling the killer just didn't have enough time to get to them....

What a horrible thing.

I hope this fellow finds his way back to his home, reclaims it. Portapique looks like a beautiful place. I am very upset for him, however, because of his experience that he had no information about the sh** show that was going on at 3AM, and that the police didn't check his property before they left at 6 or 7AM.

I wondered what he was saying here. I guess he was saying the shooter maybe feared this fellow had the means and might fight back. Fair enough... GW just didn't go there.

I hope this fellow finds his way back to his home, reclaims it. Portapique looks like a beautiful place. I am very upset for him, however, because of his experience that he had no information about the sh** show that was going on at 3AM, and that the police didn't check his property before they left at 6 or 7AM.

Certainly his friends/family will assist and get him counseling or whatever he needs on the long road to trauma recovery. The RCMP needs to answer for not doing a sweep of his place to make sure the killer wasn't hiding, waiting to kill him too.

If you read the 40 page release, you can see that he setup a company to insure and register his cars under, the company is based in Moncton, but has the mailing address of his Portland St clinic. All of his Taurses where registered under that company.
His personal vehicles, a Jeep and an F-150 where registered under his name in Nova Scotia.

Very eerie :( :eek:. And aired in that province!
It did. My husband and I watched it
This story about the Glenholme couple who didn't answer the door also struck me as compelling, Marp.

I don't know about the helicopter, but I wonder if the gunman himself made the "banging on the glass" noises and said the "Come out with your hands up" line in order to try to lure them out? Perhaps he suspected they were home and that they might come out if they believed the real cops were there?

It's a strange story.

Also, I'll have to check the timeline, but when did the RCMP NS twitter feed identify that GW was wanted? Amazing that they saw that, called 911 and then he showed up at their place!

MOO

That couple in Glenholme, was the guy who said GW had swindled him out of his home in Portapique, he said he'd hold the mortgage, then took ownership and turfed them out.
He did the same thing to his uncle, almost word for word. Smart and sneaky. Got 2 properties, though the second one (Lisa McCully's house) that his uncle owned, going to court the uncle was able to retain ownership through the court system, and sold his house to Lisa.
Like I said, he collected grudges. His uncle is in long term care now I believe, so hard to get to. (We are hard hit by Coronavirus in our LTC centres)

Not necessarily. Lots of people who live in rural areas and have lots of vehicles/equipment buy gas in bulk and keep it on their property in an above ground tank, just like farmers do. GW may have done this as a matter of course.

Gas went down so low, it was in the 60 cents per litre category. Half the price of just 2-3 years ago.
Most of us who use gas for generators, tractors, cars, we all filled what we could.

That couple in Glenholme, was the guy who said GW had swindled him out of his home in Portapique, he said he'd hold the mortgage, then took ownership and turfed them out.
He did the same thing to his uncle, almost word for word. Smart and sneaky. Got 2 properties, though the second one (Lisa McCully's house) that his uncle owned, going to court the uncle was able to retain ownership through the court system, and sold his house to Lisa.
Like I said, he collected grudges. His uncle is in long term care now I believe, so hard to get to. (We are hard hit by Coronavirus in our LTC centres)

can you provide a link to this information?

Yes strange.
I wonder if the redacted portion before the "Come out with your hands up, Gabriel, come out with your hands up." refers to some police action.
IMO I wasn’t in Nova Scotia but I would expect radio and tv would have picked up the twitter feeds very early on Sunday. They’d certainly know about the Portapique situation. The first still living people on the Portapique scene who he shot at identified him to police. If one’s in the habit of listening to CBC Radio News in the morning it surely was available very early. Can anyone confirm when MSM might have picked it up?
I can, sort of. Twitter was alive, we don't have 24/7 news channels in Eastern Canada here. We read it online, saw news videos online first, and it was on the news stations at 6:00. Was probably on CTV Newsnet but we personally don't have that channel...I knew he was dead relatively early (around 1:00 pm) only because twitter feeds had people's videos up.
CBC radio had info. early, we listen to CBC pretty exclusively in my house.

I should note- edited, we heard differing news, that he was in custody, but in custody in this case meant dead.

Last edited:
If you read the 40 page release, you can see that he setup a company to insure and register his cars under, the company is based in Moncton, but has the mailing address of his Portland St clinic. All of his Taurses where registered under that company.
His personal vehicles, a Jeep and an F-150 where registered under his name in Nova Scotia.

I wonder why?

There is a lot in the actual document despite the redactions. I found a copy of it linked through this Toronto Star article:
He was a ‘psychopath’ with guns, gasoline and barrels of chemicals. Disturbing witness accounts offer glimpses of Nova Scotia shooter

Here is a direct link to the document on Scribd:
Nova scotia RCMP docs

Section 26 (starts page 20) appears to be from the interview with the couple in Glenholme. I took some screenshots of the relevant section and added them to this post. Please read particularly from section 26.5 on for the sequence of events that led to them first calling 911 and then what happened when the gunman showed up. It does not appear as if they were following along on the RCMP NS twitter feed at all.

MOO.

Edited to try to make the attachment bigger, but not having any luck. So please go to page 20 of the scribd document.

Attachments

• Witness 26 redacted ITO.jpg
    Witness 26 redacted ITO.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Would you be able to provide a link to this 40 page release? I'm not sure where to find it....

I wonder why?

My educated guess would be that he had a holding company for some of his assets, and it's cheaper to buy things with a corporate dollar than a personal dollar. I don't know that he would be able to avail himself of many write offs as he wasn't operating a business that needed those vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member