CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered about the spent casings too, NBKevadian. I don't remember hearing about any victims after GG. But then I remembered that victim GG's dog was shot and I thought it probably tried to chase him off her property and he may have shot at it from inside her car. Thankfully, I think I read that the dog was able to be treated and survived.

In addition to all those "ready to fire" guns, they also said "There were boxes of ammunition and a metal ammunition can on the front seat" of the Mazda. It seems the gunman was able to transfer all of these things from his fake cruiser, to victim JW's SUV and then to GG's Mazda. We already know he changed clothes at GG's, so he must have also taken the new clothing when he left the cruiser. It sounds like he was in a weirdly calm and deliberate state, despite all that he had just done.

MOO
I wondered too how this guy managed to be loading items from his fake police car to the stolen 1 in such a manner. Where there no other vehicles on the road to happen by then? Because in the 1 video taken from a distance there was a black truck/suv pulled up as the 2 cars are burning and someone being taken away from 1 of the burning vehicles. Plus someone running away on the far side of the highway (wonder who that was?) Just wondering....

Maybe so but what about the victim's families? I'm sure they'd like to know the true timeline of events too. JMO

The common law spouse is only one part of events within the complete timeline. There was a report the day before yesterday indicating the 22 autopsies hadn’t been concluded yet so the cause of death of some of the victims hasn’t been determined.

This story about the Glenholme couple who didn't answer the door also struck me as compelling, Marp.

I don't know about the helicopter, but I wonder if the gunman himself made the "banging on the glass" noises and said the "Come out with your hands up" line in order to try to lure them out? Perhaps he suspected they were home and that they might come out if they believed the real cops were there?

It's a strange story.

Also, I'll have to check the timeline, but when did the RCMP NS twitter feed identify that GW was wanted? Amazing that they saw that, called 911 and then he showed up at their place!

MOO
Yes strange.
I wonder if the redacted portion before the "Come out with your hands up, Gabriel, come out with your hands up." refers to some police action.
IMO I wasn’t in Nova Scotia but I would expect radio and tv would have picked up the twitter feeds very early on Sunday. They’d certainly know about the Portapique situation. The first still living people on the Portapique scene who he shot at identified him to police. If one’s in the habit of listening to CBC Radio News in the morning it surely was available very early. Can anyone confirm when MSM might have picked it up?

Response to Tilly23:

The first tweet was sent at 11:32 p.m. local time Saturday and said police were "responding to a firearms complaint" in Portapique, N.S. "The public is asked to avoid the area and stay in their homes with doors locked at this time."

The next message on the Nova Scotia RCMP Twitter account came at 6:02 a.m. Sunday, advising that police were still on the scene in Portapique and it was "an active shooter situation." At 6:54 a.m. the suspect was identified in a tweet and a photo was published.”
RCMP says it will look at how N.S. public was warned of active shooter threat

I believe the photo released at that time was the close up of GW and the photo of the mock RCMP cruiser was released after 8am the Of that morning.

When I look at the actual twitter account @RCMPNS here are the tweets I see:
Apr 18, 11:32 pm ADT
#RCMPNS is responding to a firearms complaint in the #Portapique area. (Portapique Beach Rd, Bay Shore Rd and Five Houses Rd.) The public is asked to avoid the area and stay in their homes with doors locked at this time.

Apr 19, 8:02 am ADT
#RCMPNS remains on scene in #Portapique. This is an active shooter situation. Residents in the area, stay inside your homes & lock your doors. Call 911 if there is anyone on your property. You may not see the police but we are there with you #Portapique.

Apr 19, 10:04 am ADT (first tweet identifying GW)
#RCMPNS is advising people to avoid Hwy 4 near Hidden Hilltop Campground in #Glenholme. Gabriel Wortman is in the area. Please stay inside your homes and lock your doors. #Portapique

Apr 19, 10:17 am ADT (with pic of fake cruiser)
#Colchester: Gabriel Wortman may be driving what appears to be an RCMP vehicle & may be wearing an RCMP uniform. There's 1 difference btwn his car and our RCMP vehicles: the car #. The suspect's car is 28B11, behind rear passenger window. If you see 28B11 call 911 immediately.

Apr 19, 10:21 am ADT
Gabriel Wortman is currently in the #CentralOnslow #Debert area in a vehicle that may resemble what appears to be an RCMP vehicle & may be wearing what appears to be an RCMP uniform. Please stay inside and avoid the area. #RCMPNS

Apr 19, 10:39 am ADT
Please stay tuned to our Twitter account for the latest information on the active shooter investigation where Gabriel Wortman is the suspect. 1/2
Thank you for your understanding as we work to provide the most updated information while addressing public and officer safety. 2/2 #Portapique #CentralOnslow #Debert #Glenholme #Colchester

Apr 19, 11:04 am ADT
Gabriel Wortman, suspect in active shooter investigation, last seen travelling southbound on Hwy #102 from #Brookfield area in what appears to be RCMP vehicle & may be wearing RCMP uniform. Suspect's car is 28B11, behind rear passenger window. If you see 28B11 call 911.

Apr 19, 11:06 am ADT
Gabriel Wortman, suspect in active shooter investigation, now believed to be driving small silver Chevrolet SUV. Travelling southbound on Hwy #102 from #Brookfield area If seen, call 911.

And now an excerpt of the timeline provided by the RCMP at the news conference on April 28 (bolding added by me):
... From the industrial area of Debert, the gunman travelled to Wentworth. We have him on video on Hunter Road at approximately 6:30 am close to the residence where he killed two men and a woman.

We believe he entered the residence, killed the victims shortly after and remained there for some time.

The next photograph I'm showing you captures the gunman leaving the area at 9:35 am travelling south along Hunter Road heading back in the direction he came from earlier.

He travels south on Hwy 4 through Wentworth.

At 9:43 am he was near the intersection of Hwy 4 and Hwy 246. And at 9:48 am we received 911 call that place him at a residence in Wentworth where he knocked on the door but did not enter.

We next have him on video driving east on the Plains Road in Debert at 9:57 am.

From there, he travels eastbound on Hwy 4 toward Truro...​

From this, it looks like the tweet at 10:04 am (that identifies GW) may have been the result of the 911 call by the couple in Glenholme?

MOO.

I wondered too how this guy managed to be loading items from his fake police car to the stolen 1 in such a manner. Where there no other vehicles on the road to happen by then? Because in the 1 video taken from a distance there was a black truck/suv pulled up as the 2 cars are burning and someone being taken away from 1 of the burning vehicles. Plus someone running away on the far side of the highway (wonder who that was?) Just wondering....

An eyewitness called in to a media station to talk about her experience and what she witnessed at the time of the gunman/Stevenson/Weber incident. She references the gunman as a 'police officer'. To me it sounds like, at first she believed this was a legit officer and something bad had happened to the 'partner'.
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1727102019736

There is also a recording advising of the accident at the intersection prior to ERT arrival. Recordings of first responders reveal frantic bid to help during shootings in Portapique, N.S. | Watch News Videos Online

In the video you are referencing-I believe it is Stevenson that ERT is taking away from the burning vehicles. I believe there as also a broadcast recording indicated they were treating a 'member'.

There is without a doubt a few eyewitness to these events and hopefully they have all come forward.

This story about the Glenholme couple who didn't answer the door also struck me as compelling, Marp.

I don't know about the helicopter, but I wonder if the gunman himself made the "banging on the glass" noises and said the "Come out with your hands up" line in order to try to lure them out? Perhaps he suspected they were home and that they might come out if they believed the real cops were there?

It's a strange story.

Also, I'll have to check the timeline, but when did the RCMP NS twitter feed identify that GW was wanted? Amazing that they saw that, called 911 and then he showed up at their place!

MOO
I wonder how they suspected the perp was headed for their house in the first place?

I wonder how they suspected the perp was headed for their house in the first place?

Is this the same person who initially misunderstood the RCMP to say he was a certain number on a hit list made by the killer? Then RCMP later confirmed there was no list however they’d personally advised certain people who GW knew, to be cautious? And also another report about the couple hiding in fear in their basement when GW did show up, almost breaking their door down?

In hindsight, who other than the common law spouse would know the identity of people who might be at risk. I think she must’ve been the source of helpful information.

ETA - G & M articles are often paylocked. I’m not certain this report is totally correct as to the potential victim living “close” to GW but the RCMP did apparently forewarn certain people.
“The Globe reported on Thursday that a man who lives near the shooter's property said he had been told by investigators that his name was "seventh or eighth" on a list that was found by police at the shooter's home.”
N.S. shooter handcuffed, assaulted his girlfriend before mass killing

Last edited:
If one’s in the habit of listening to CBC Radio News in the morning it surely was available very early. Can anyone confirm when MSM might have picked it up?

Good question and good point.

If you are asking how soon could CBC Radio have been made aware and broadcasted - basically right away. CBC-Halifax carries the various programmes that are across Canada, overnight Sat/Sunday. On the hour there is network news (across Canada, and mostly canned over-night). Over-night Saturday / Sunday, there are no live local programmes, but there are beginning at 6AM (both days). Local news is broadcast on the 1/2 hour after that.

My guess would be that at any time during the night, CBC-Halifax could have interrupted programming to broadcast warnings / information, etc..

upload_2020-5-19_17-19-57.png

I've listed to the Weekend Mornings programme from the West Coast. It's live, very casual, and certainly a place the police could have used to get information out, I would think. I imagine it was broadcasting something about what was going on on the 1/2 hour. I remember hearing it on the West Coast during that morning from when I turned the radio on about 5AM (9AM in Nova Scotia), but could have been 6AM.

Nevertheless, now you mention it, one wonders why CBC wasn't used.

Perhaps, but earlier the significance of the party was speculation that some incident occurred there, enough to incite GWs fury including the assault on his common law wife after returning to their home. Then further retaliation by his returning to the party house and group of people present and murdering them.

That contradicts this - “Before the rampage, Wortman and his common-law spouse were having drinks and Facetiming friends.”.....”at their property on 136 Orchard Beach Dr”.

If indeed there was any sort of gathering it’s beginning to appear it wasn’t directly involved in his motive. I also don’t recall the RCMP ever mentioning a party was involved.

I agree MistyWaters.
As I’ve said before, The party report seems to have come from a Global news source and I’ve found it in National Post saying it came from investigators. That was March 23. But any other other MSM I’ve found said “Global News reported”. The suggestion to my earlier comments was that a MSM may have its own private sources. Now we have a fleshed out official report with the gf reporting a FaceTiming event (zooming and drinking is common now) at the “warehouse” followed by plenty of other clarifications about the rampage. But still no Official reference from the authorities about a gathering and no other MSM sources saying anything about the party. All kinds of interviews in MSM but not one Named Source will confirm a party. Convid or no Covid. JMO

Good question and good point.

If you are asking how soon could CBC Radio have been made aware and broadcasted - basically right away. CBC-Halifax carries the various programmes that are across Canada, overnight Sat/Sunday. On the hour there is network news (across Canada, and mostly canned over-night). Over-night Saturday / Sunday, there are no live local programmes, but there are beginning at 6AM (both days). Local news is broadcast on the 1/2 hour after that.

My guess would be that at any time during the night, CBC-Halifax could have interrupted programming to broadcast warnings / information, etc..

View attachment 247461

I've listed to the Weekend Mornings programme from the West Coast. It's live, very casual, and certainly a place the police could have used to get information out, I would think. I imagine it was broadcasting something about what was going on on the 1/2 hour. I remember hearing it on the West Coast during that morning from when I turned the radio on about 5AM (9AM in Nova Scotia), but could have been 6AM.

Nevertheless, now you mention it, one wonders why CBC wasn't used.

I checked back to the pc below and found (at minute 6:45) that on Sunday morning at 8:02 RCMP began broadcasting live twitter posts and made them available to all MSM.

Is this the same person who initially misunderstood the RCMP to say he was a certain number on a hit list made by the killer? Then RCMP later confirmed there was no list however they’d personally advised certain people who GW knew, to be cautious? And also another report about the couple hiding in fear in their basement when GW did show up, almost breaking their door down?

In hindsight, who other than the common law spouse would know the identity of people who might be at risk. I think she must’ve been the source of helpful information.

ETA - G & M articles are often paylocked. I’m not certain this report is totally correct as to the potential victim living “close” to GW but the RCMP did apparently forewarn certain people.
“The Globe reported on Thursday that a man who lives near the shooter's property said he had been told by investigators that his name was "seventh or eighth" on a list that was found by police at the shooter's home.”
N.S. shooter handcuffed, assaulted his girlfriend before mass killing
No the man you’re referring to lived 15 minutes away. Would-be victim reveals Nova Scotia gunman had 'list of people to target': report - NEWS 1130
And the house GW went to where they knew what was going on and hid from him was in Glenholme later Sunday morning.

No the man you’re referring to lived 15 minutes away. Would-be victim reveals Nova Scotia gunman had 'list of people to target': report - NEWS 1130
And the house GW went to where they knew what was going on and hid from him was in Glenholme later Sunday morning.

Thanks for the clarification. It was probably connected to the same individual then, if I’m not imagining reading somewhere the RCMP forewarned him while the shooter was still active.

But I still wonder if it was also an RCMP member at the Glenholme residence. By stating the killers name, if the officer was met with silence it might help to flush out a potential hostage situation as opposed to a voice behind the door “there’s no Gabe here”. JMO

I agree MistyWaters.
As I’ve said before, The party report seems to have come from a Global news source and I’ve found it in National Post saying it came from investigators. That was March 23. But any other other MSM I’ve found said “Global News reported”. The suggestion to my earlier comments was that a MSM may have its own private sources. Now we have a fleshed out official report with the gf reporting a FaceTiming event (zooming and drinking is common now) at the “warehouse” followed by plenty of other clarifications about the rampage. But still no Official reference from the authorities about a gathering and no other MSM sources saying anything about the party. All kinds of interviews in MSM but not one Named Source will confirm a party. Convid or no Covid. JMO
Hey Marp, Leon Joudrey, the neighbor who has the house the girlfriend shows up at in the morning to call 911, has just said on video (posted in this thread) that he was at Greg and Jamie Blair's house until about 10:00 pm that night.

GlenHolme....Is this the 2900 Block of Highway 4 that was referenced? Do we know what the connection was to them other than Supt. Campbell stating ‘motorcycle enthusiasts’?[/QUO
An older report but This is a quote I found. They say Debert not Glenholme because they probably meld into each other and Debert IMO is the more recognizable name:

“Another 911 call came in at 9:48 a.m. from a home in the 2900 block of Highway 4 in the Debert area.

On Friday, RCMP said the gunman knocked on the door, waking up the people who lived there. The residents knew him, but didn't answer. They called 911, identified the suspect, then told the call-taker he was driving a police vehicle and carrying a long-gun.”
RCMP continue to look for tips as they release more details on the killer's movements - HalifaxToday.ca

More about the wounded victim. He alerted LE about the identity of the shooter. If I’m reading this correctly, a second cruiser was also fabricated to appear as if it was a police car burning at the shooter’s barn, possibly to make it appear he died at his own hand. Pure psycho, absolutely frightening anyone could be so diabolical and ruthless.

“In the reasons given for seeking the search warrant, RCMP Sgt. Angela Hawryluk describes how the first two officers to arrive on the scene on the night of April 18 encountered a wounded witness who told them he’d been fired upon by a man in uniform driving what they thought was an RCMP vehicle.

This witness, who is not named, told the two officers he and another person noted a building on fire in Portapique and a police vehicle in a nearby blue building that was burning as well. They had believed the police vehicle was an RCMP officer responding to the emergency.

When they approached, Wortman opened fire on them with his handgun, and they fled.

Minutes later, when they met RCMP officers arriving on the scene, the witness told them his “first suspicion was that it (the gunman) was … Gabe (Wortman) because his barn was on fire and he had a look-a-like Taurus that he was calling a police car.”

The witness told the police officers the replica vehicle had a police number on it. “The one (the car) that we saw parked was definitely badged,” the witness is quoted as saying.”
Warning signs of N.S. mass shooter’s paranoia, guns, prior abuse noted in warrant

Hey Marp, Leon Joudrey, the neighbor who has the house the girlfriend shows up at in the morning to call 911, has just said on video (posted in this thread) that he was at Greg and Jamie Blair's house until about 10:00 pm that night.

He’s clearly still very traumatized. I feel concerned about his mental well-being. I wonder, is there any NS mental wellness organization focusing on the needs of people who personally knew this maniac who turned so many lives upside down because I’m certain it’d be helpful. Just reading about this horrid tragedy in MSM, so absolutely shocking and disgusting but to have been directly impacted, it must seem like not being able to wake up from a nightmare. To make it even worse COVID, social distancing and social isolation through limitations on group gatherings and all that is not conducive to moving forward either.

I can’t help but wonder - is the yearning of the general public fed by MSM to reveal all the gory details happening too soon?

He remembers hearing gunshots shortly after but didn’t think much of it.

“As for why the shooter didn’t come to his house, Joudrey says he suspects it’s because Wortman knew he was a hunter who had guns in his home.

“He knew I had firearms, which are legal of course, but he knew I was confrontational and I might interrupt his plan. That’s the only thing I can think of.”..”
'I can't go back': Haunted by mass shooting, man who sheltered gunman's girlfriend scared to go home

Last edited:
Hey Marp, Leon Joudrey, the neighbor who has the house the girlfriend shows up at in the morning to call 911, has just said on video (posted in this thread) that he was at Greg and Jamie Blair's house until about 10:00 pm that night.[/QUOTE
We’re getting closer to a party I guess. Joudrey didn’t like him though but perhaps they all still socialized. I think he says he got home at around 10:00 pm and heard a gunshot but he wasn’t the one who phoned it in at 10:01 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member