CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Police Corruption? Nova Scotia Shooter - Behind The Scenes
Nova Scotia Shooter Behind The Scenes with Paul Palango a former senior editor at The Globe and Mail and author of three books on the RCMP, the most recent being Dispersing the Fog, Inside the Secret World of Ottawa and the RCMP. His work on the Nova Scotia massacre has been published in MacLeans and the Halifax Examiner..

Interesting observations about the girlfriend and he says more info coming out about her..

Politician Laura Lynn Tyler Thompson is a member of Maxime Bernier's far right populist People's Party of Canada. Whether her nearly hour long video is interesting or not, I'll take a pass.

Politician Laura Lynn Tyler Thompson is a member of Maxime Bernier's far right populist People's Party of Canada. Whether her nearly hour long video is interesting or not, I'll take a pass.
Thanks for the heads' up. I didn't recognize the name. I'm in the US. I appreciate the WSer providing a link, but I don't want to promote want to go on far right sites on principle. We are reaping what we sowed in the US. No need to lend credence to extremism in Canada.

Nova Scotia Shooter Behind The Scenes with Paul Palango a former senior editor at The Globe and Mail and author of three books on the RCMP, the most recent being Dispersing the Fog, Inside the Secret World of Ottawa and the RCMP. His work on the Nova Scotia massacre has been published in MacLeans and the Halifax Examiner..

Interesting observations about the girlfriend and he says more info coming out about her..

I listened to about 5 minutes. They had basic facts wrong: not knowing how many died, not knowing how it unfolded on social media that night and the dates wrong. etc..I gave up when they victim-blamed the deceased officer, insulting her.

I want to know from her, what he said, and what he did. Where he started, and where he stopped. What did he SAY leading up to this- it didn't happen in a vacuum, and he didn't suddenly just "snap".
This was thought out, his escape was planned, the back roads he chose were great to use as escape, we see cops on those roads but honestly, not so much now the main detachment is in Enfield not Stewiacke, and I've driven 120 kms an hour on every back road I've driven for the last 40 years. Been stopped exactly once, in 40 years of speeding 40 kms over the speed limit.

But- They have overturned the original plan and have called a FULL PUBLIC inquiry. There will now be some kind of answers.

Sure, you want to get inside his head to understand him and how it could have happened. Especially right now, because it's still a big surprise.

But even if he weren't dead, IMO no one could really say, not for sure. Because criminals rarely make "sense" even to themselves.

My latest example of this is a youtube video of the interview a detective had with the Toronto van killer, shortly after he'd murdered 12 people. The idiot is babbling on about Chads and Stacys and how he was willing to sacrifice his own life to bring public awareness to this outrageous injustice: that he and his online buddies didn't have gorgeous women approaching them offering sex. He didn't have the slightest interest in the 12 people he'd just killed.

Similarly, I think the female partner in this case is too close to the killer to be able to offer true insight into what was going on. If she'd been able to see how dangerous he was going to be, IMO she'd have left him before the event.

I do think, once the information is all compiled, police will be able to provide the best timeline they can for events. But at this point the information is likely incomplete and therefore potentially inaccurate.

Also, I know the tendency of the media and public consumers of media, to seize on one sliver of information, ignore the context and the ambiguity of it, and pollute the internet with vast conspiracy and other false theories that are presented as truth.

Sure, you want to get inside his head to understand him and how it could have happened. Especially right now, because it's still a big surprise.

But even if he weren't dead, IMO no one could really say, not for sure. Because criminals rarely make "sense" even to themselves.

My latest example of this is a youtube video of the interview a detective had with the Toronto van killer, shortly after he'd murdered 12 people. The idiot is babbling on about Chads and Stacys and how he was willing to sacrifice his own life to bring public awareness to this outrageous injustice: that he and his online buddies didn't have gorgeous women approaching them offering sex. He didn't have the slightest interest in the 12 people he'd just killed.

Similarly, I think the female partner in this case is too close to the killer to be able to offer true insight into what was going on. If she'd been able to see how dangerous he was going to be, IMO she'd have left him before the event.

I do think, once the information is all compiled, police will be able to provide the best timeline they can for events. But at this point the information is likely incomplete and therefore potentially inaccurate.

Also, I know the tendency of the media and public consumers of media, to seize on one sliver of information, ignore the context and the ambiguity of it, and pollute the internet with vast conspiracy and other false theories that are presented as truth.

Very well put, Satchie!

I watched it, at the time having no idea who the interviewer was. But to me, she is peripheral to the story, I did not watch for her but rather, what her guest would say. Even if everything he said was true (and that is a mighty big "if") it does not answer why the shooter did this. I am still no closer to understanding why the Bonds were killed or why the Gulenchyn house was burned......

Bo.Jack— I think your intent was to share information, thank you for that.

My comments were directed towards the people in the video. Please excuse me if you felt attacked or unwelcome by what I wrote.

I was thinking back to the term “injustice collector” which the killer has been described as. Grievance collector or wound collector are other synonyms.

I agree with you, I don’t think the common law spouse had any idea of the extent of his increasingly dangerous psyche. Over time his weirdness and anger likely became normal to her. I don’t think the fight between the two was a trigger. It’s more likely he intentionally instigated it because he’d reached the point of - quote taken from below - igniting and exploding. If there will ever be any answers I think it will come from the psychological autopsy, not saying those answers will satisfy all.

On Wound Collectors
For these folks there is never a fix or a cure. Nothing is ever good enough and apologies mean nothing. For them, there is always yet another event they perceive as a slight or a grievance. For them the world holds nothing but nastiness and it affects how they see the world and how they react to the world—suspiciously and with contempt. When irrationality, antagonism, and rigidity combine with unyielding overconfidence in their own sentiments and beliefs go unchecked or are not attenuated, these individual become metastable—ready to ignite and explode.”

IMO, neither MacLeans nor the Examiner have distinguished themselves in what they have published about this, and Palango seems to have an anti-RCMP bias / agenda.

"This was entirely about the families and their advocacy. We listened to them and that's why we've made the decision to hold an inquiry," Blair told CBC Radio's The House in an interview airing Saturday.

I just read that quote this morning and thought "Really?" For months I have heard requests by the victims' families for an inquiry, supported by various MPs, and Senators among other voices. Their voices have been loud and clear. Even I, an avereage citizen 1000 miles away knew what the families wanted! So, when someone changes abruptly from review to inquiry, I just find it strange that they claim they were listening!

Also, found this on Yahoo news.

"Only this one witness has come forward with information that the gunman was actively and recently involved in the importation and trafficking of illegal drugs," the RCMP statement says.

"No other persons out of the close to 700 interviewed, including those closest to the gunman, have provided similar information that proves the gunman was an illegal drug smuggler and/or drug trafficker."

If this is correct, it puts the Palango story line on an even more tenuous thread.

RCMP response to various circulating rumours (such as drug smuggling and prior murders) which the police released on July 30, 2020.
Statement from the Nova Scotia RCMP to provide context to recently unsealed information | Royal Canadian Mounted Police
I can think of 2 or 3 candidates who could be that lone witness. There have been a few people on social media sites seemingly enjoying notoriety.
Wow, thanks for posting this, I found it very interesting. If he had secret compartments for illegal gun smuggling, and he was known to smuggle alcohol and cigarettes since college, I don't think it's a stretch to believe he also smuggled drugs? It seems to me he liked the thrill and the wealth with smuggling anything that could make him a lot of money. Most high up drug dealers don't advertise or do very many transactions people know about-like large amounts at once. If there was one witness that said he smuggled drugs-(large amounts of opiate pain pills), that is enough for me to believe it. It just probably wasn't commonly known to others.

Wow, thanks for posting this, I found it very interesting. If he had secret compartments for illegal gun smuggling, and he was known to smuggle alcohol and cigarettes since college, I don't think it's a stretch to believe he also smuggled drugs? It seems to me he liked the thrill and the wealth with smuggling anything that could make him a lot of money. Most high up drug dealers don't advertise or do very many transactions people know about-like large amounts at once. If there was one witness that said he smuggled drugs-(large amounts of opiate pain pills), that is enough for me to believe it. It just probably wasn't commonly known to others.

He did not smuggle cigarettes after college and probably only did it to help cover bills. There was no evidence that he was smuggling guns, he simply kept his own collection. Only 1 witness out of aprox 700 said he smuggled drugs, so the point is that it's very unlikely he was involved in any such activity.

He did not smuggle cigarettes after college and probably only did it to help cover bills. There was no evidence that he was smuggling guns, he simply kept his own collection. Only 1 witness out of aprox 700 said he smuggled drugs, so the point is that it's very unlikely he was involved in any such activity.

I agree and as for the large amount of cash he withdraw a couple weeks prior, the forensic audit will reveal its sources. Someone going unnoticed who is operating two denture businesses as a false front to illegal drug and gun trade in a place the size of Halifax seems a little farfetched IMO.

Production Order records obtained for the gunman's email communications details the reason and source of withdrawal of personal funds from the gunman's personal investments and bank accounts. These email communications from the gunman to financial institutions and others detail his intent to liquidate personal assets and convert those into cash. The purpose of those conversions and withdrawals was based on the gunman's belief that his assets were safer in his possession as it related to the current pandemic. A significant amount of currency has been recovered from the gunman's burned out property in Portapique which supports the pre April 18 withdrawal of funds previously disclosed. A forensic audit of the gunman's accounts remains underway and no further details can be disclosed until this task has been completed.”

How did he acquire such wealth ?Likely not from being a denturist.

Well, given he smuggled cigs and booze in uni to help pay for schooling, he probably started his denturist biz without debt (and maybe a nice nest egg?), he had no kids, and denturists, depending on where they are etc... can make up to 50/hr. I'm not sure what other variables are involved, so that's all I've got.

Well, given he smuggled cigs and booze in uni to help pay for schooling, he probably started his denturist biz without debt (and maybe a nice nest egg?), he had no kids, and denturists, depending on where they are etc... can make up to 50/hr. I'm not sure what other variables are involved, so that's all I've got.
He had way more than a denturist would make.He would have to pay rent/ or owned his Dartmouth office,owned 5 houses ,4 which were rented, numerous cars etc plus hundreds of thousands in the bank. He had to have gotten it somewhere...

He had way more than a denturist would make.He would have to pay rent/ or owned his Dartmouth office,owned 5 houses ,4 which were rented, numerous cars etc plus hundreds of thousands in the bank. He had to have gotten it somewhere...

I recall an inheritance mentioned. He may have bought and sold properties as well. I’d also think owning a denturist business is very lucrative considering high dental costs in Canada. False teeth can cost thousands of dollars and dental implants are priced through the roof. I’d guess the majority of the cost would be crafting of the false teeth as opposed to the material.

He was also into his 50s with no company pension plan. If he had a financial advisor, $10,000 invested for 25 years, average rate of return 5% nets about $477k. Savings including RRSPs totalling $475k approaching early retirement isn’t really that unusual in Canada considering the high cost of living. His current properties appeared to have been owned for many years from a time when property values were much lower. Maybe I’m the odd person out, but I don’t see $475k savings by a professional in his 50s with no dependants to be highly suspicious at all.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crankymomma
Back