CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Even without the shootings, life would have gone on, people buying and selling etc. Perhaps not this many properties changing hands so quickly though. But nothing stays the same.
I would imagine some people will view it as "too much, too soon".....and others might view it as a means of healing. The community could not remain static though, otherwise it would be forever defined by this incident.

It's incredibly sad.
The Tucks house went under contract today. It was listed at the same price that Aaron Tuck had asked for from the shooter.
The shooter's properties, including 200 and 287 Portapique Beach Rd. (he had purchased the 20-acre property at 287 PB Rd. in June of 2019. That property shared a boundary with the Bonds, and appears to have a trail within its southern boundary that feeds into the Bonds' property. It makes you wonder...) and 136 Orchard Beach Dr., are all under contract, as are two adjacent to 136 Orchard Beach Dr., that were listed for sale at the same time. He had only purchased the 20-acre property at 287 PB Rd. in June of 2019. It would seem those two also belonged to him.
The Bonds' house has been listed for a while, it is still on the market. The Zahl-Thomas property has already been sold. Leon Joudrey's home is still on the market, too. The neighbor next door to the Griffon's on Faris Lane sold their house in June of 2020.
In the attached graphic: blue = for sale, yellow = under contract, and red = sold.
The sale of the Tuck's house closed today. It sold for $35,000.

This story also came out in Macleans over the weekend:
The Nova Scotia killer's dark past, and a mysterious $300,000 - Macleans.ca

It is way under the asking price, but still more than the shooter offered. Way more. I'm not sure what one calls it, but the selling of these properties in Portapique almost seems like the last chapter in the book is being written. I know an inquiry still needs to be held, but people are moving on. Life does move forward, but it is bittersweet to me at times.

It is way under the asking price, but still more than the shooter offered. Way more. I'm not sure what one calls it, but the selling of these properties in Portapique almost seems like the last chapter in the book is being written. I know an inquiry still needs to be held, but people are moving on. Life does move forward, but it is bittersweet to me at times.

MOO: Agreed. It's about offloading and moving on, not the property value.

The province purchased the killer’s property:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/atlantic/2020/10/20/1_5153692.html

"My understanding is that both 287 and 200 have sold and the province of nova scotia has purchased them," said lawyer Robert Pineo. "We understand they were purchased for market value."

Wortman owned a number of properties in the area, including some undeveloped lots.

The real estate listing did note the property was the home of the Nova Scotia mass shooter, but the land was described in one listing as an "amazing lot overlooking bay and saltwater marsh and river."
C5C69A45-B4E0-41E2-A088-E6E7799A2F80.jpeg

The province purchased the killer’s property:
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/atlantic/2020/10/20/1_5153692.html
Province buys former property of N.S. mass shooter
"My understanding is that both 287 and 200 have sold and the province of nova scotia has purchased them," said lawyer Robert Pineo. "We understand they were purchased for market value."

Wortman owned a number of properties in the area, including some undeveloped lots.

The real estate listing did note the property was the home of the Nova Scotia mass shooter, but the land was described in one listing as an "amazing lot overlooking bay and saltwater marsh and river."
View attachment 268571

Definitely the right thing for the Province to do IMO -

“....."I don't actually know what they're planning to do," Pineo said. "But, I understand from sources that I've interviewed, that the purpose, the reason the province purchased them was to avoid somebody purchasing them on the open market that might in some way exploit the mass murder situation and cause more hardship to the families than they're already suffering."...”

Sarah Ritchie (Global Halifax)
@SarahRitchieTV
·
4h

“Tomorrow, we launch a 13-part investigative podcast looking into the shooting spree in April. “13 Hours: Inside the Nova Scotia Massacre” will introduce you to the victims and their families, and ask the many questions we all have about what happened.”
https://twitter.com/SarahRitchieTV/status/1325588476935462915?s=20

The podcast is free, and the link to it is within this tweet:
https://twitter.com/SarahRitchieTV/status/1325594254455037952?s=20

Definitely the right thing for the Province to do IMO -

“....."I don't actually know what they're planning to do," Pineo said. "But, I understand from sources that I've interviewed, that the purpose, the reason the province purchased them was to avoid somebody purchasing them on the open market that might in some way exploit the mass murder situation and cause more hardship to the families than they're already suffering."...”

I agree MistyWaters. It is hard to believe that some people are capable of exploiting a tragedy. It reminds me of the house rented by Paul Bernardo and Karla Holmoka in St. Catherines, which was finally torn down. Hopefully the same happens to this monster's properties.

The Bernardo's house:

"Neighbors grew disgusted by a steady stream of curiosity-seekers who came to gawk at the house where Canada's mostly widely publicized sex crimes had occurred. After a few bureaucratic hitches, local authorities finally completed arrangements for the demolition. (The city bought the house but not not land).

Some people already have torn off pieces of the house as macabre souvenirs, and the demolition companies that have volunteered their time have said the wreckage will be hauled away and buried in a secret landfill site.

According to reports, Bernardo's Nissan 240SX, the car he used to kidnap both Leslie Mahaffy, 14, and Kristen French, 15, also will be stripped and shredded.

Canadian city demolishes Bernardo house of horror

BERNARDO'S HOME, CAR TO BE DESTROYED

Nova Scotia shooter talked about guns amid COVID-19 pandemic, court docs allege
“The gunman who killed 22 people in rural Nova Scotia had previously attended gun shows in the United States and was concerned with arming himself as the coronavirus began to surge in Canada, according to newly released court documents.

Emails from the gunman sent on March 19, 2020 – one month before the shootings – sent to an unnamed individual talked about how “the virus was huge and people have not dealt with something as big as it was,” according to an RCMP application for a general warrant, which was released Monday.

“(The gunman) said that he wasn’t optimistic and once the money runs out people will become desperate and people will need guns,” the documents said.

“Thank God we are well-armed,” the gunman is quoted as saying....”

From the same link above, “no comment” from the RCMP is not a real surprise considering the inquiry and proposed class action lawsuit.

Just my opinion, had the RCMP been allowed time to release their final report, then if that wasn’t satisfactory to families of victims and victims who survived, then begin the push for an inquiry - that might’ve revealed answers which now will be a long time in coming. Instead I think once attorneys, advocacy groups and others with their own agenda become involved it becomes much like a runaway train.

“The RCMP declined to answer any other questions or interviews citing the ongoing public inquiry into the April shootings.

“With the public inquiry now ongoing, the most appropriate and unbiased opportunity to do so is with our full participation in the inquiry,” Cpl. Lisa Croteau said in an email. “The inquiry is underway and RCMP is fully cooperating. The RCMP will respectfully refrain from further commenting on these matters outside of the inquiry.”...”

It’s seldom Inquiries ever achieve their timelines —
“They must submit two reports to the Governments of Canada and Nova Scotia on their findings, lessons learned and recommendations – an interim report by May 1, 2022 and a final report by November 1, 2022.”
Governments of Canada and Nova Scotia establish joint public inquiry in response to April tragedy

Thanks for posting. I found that extremely emotional to read it laid out in its timeline like that. So heartbreaking. I would have liked to have seen the part about shots fired at the firehall(?) included in the timeline as well.

For me, it is easy to see how the RCMP isn't saying much, they really screwed up..but OTOH they were also so unprepared for an event such as that. If they admit total chaos, how can the public have confidence in them, etc. I can't help thinking about how, if too much is said sometimes, it publicly exposes shortcomings we might not really want the badguys to know about, etc. Hopefully they will figure out where they could've done better and learn from it for future. Hopefully there won't be occasion to use that newfound Intel. imo

It breaks my heart to think of Jamie Blair bracing herself against the bedroom door, trying to stop the shooter, all the while protecting her children. 8 bullet holes thru the door are a testament to her strength. Hopefully, the lump in my throat will go away shortly....
The article shows a picture of the shooter's cruiser, Stevenson's, and Joey Webber's SUV. Who took that picture? The shooter was seen pouring gas and setting them on fire, so that picture was taken during moments of extreme danger. Wow.
I do hope the RCMP can enact changes without totally losing the faith of the people they serve.

An RCMP officer lost her life chasing the man who lost his mind and killed people. I don't agree with people trying to get rich on this tragedy. If they want to provide feedback that officers can take into consideration for future mass murderer situation, great, but wanting money beyond what is available as victims of crime? That strikes me as un-Canadian. That's federal taxpayer money that is intended to protect communities across the second largest country in the world, not pocket money owed to people whose friends and family died at the hands of man with mental health issues.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/community/fifth-estate-premiere-1.5809952
Season premiere: Documentary about the N.S. shootings

Thirteen Deadly Hours: The Nova Scotia Shootings airs Monday, Nov. 23 at 9 p.m. on CBC TV / CBC Gem

“Watch The Fifth Estate Monday, Nov. 23 9 p.m. (9:30 NT) on CBC TV and CBC Gem.

Tune in to CBC Nova Scotia News Tuesday at 6 p.m. for an encore broadcast.”

The Fifth Estate documentary was so painful to watch on so many levels. My heart goes out to all of the victim's loved ones.

The Fifth Estate Documentary was so painful to watch on many levels. My heart goes out to the victim's loved ones and the community.

All the heartbreak caused by that lunatic was indeed painful to watch and I just can’t imagine how anyone could be capable of such horrid atrocities over a period of 13 hours.

Aside from that, the 5th Estate show didn’t delve into anything deeper than prior media reporting but I suppose that’s due to legal affairs not yet resolved. However various family members of the deceased victims were given opportunity to speak out and the show also brought visual context to the sparsely populated area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back