CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Whoa! His girlfriend got nailed?

Yes. I’m speechless.

The common-law spouse of the man responsible for killing 22 people in April's mass shooting in Nova Scotia has been charged with providing the gunman with ammunition he used during the rampage.

However, RCMP said in a news release Friday that the three had "no prior knowledge of the gunman's actions on April 18 and 19."

Lisa Diane Banfield, 52, of Dartmouth is alleged to have unlawfully transferred .223-calibre Remington cartridges and .40-calibre Smith & Wesson cartridges between March 17 and April 18, 2020.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5828411

Interesting. As the shooter didn’t have a PAL, that explains how he got a large quantity of ammunition. So I have to wonder, were the four of them all into the conspiracy theory together - something about our country was about to crash and guns would be required to protect ones property plus Trudeau was about to confiscate everyone’s money?

This might also explain my burning question - why did she hide for so long in the woods before finally going to a neighbours the next morning? Perhaps she believed for a time that police were the enemy and her partner was fighting a sort of war.

Tweets from
Elizabeth McSheffrey
@emcsheff (Global Halifax)

#BREAKING: NS RCMP confirm three people have been charged for provided the Nova Scotia gunman with ammunition used in April's massacre. RCMP say the individuals did NOT have knowledge of the shooter's intentions, or the attack. We'll have more shortly. #NovaScotia
https://twitter.com/emcsheff/status/1334893570000556033?s=20

“These are the offences: "between the 17th day of March and 18th day of April 2020, unlawfully, transferred ammunition, specifically, .223 caliber Remington cartridges and .40 caliber Smith and Wesson cartridges, contrary to Section 101 of the Criminal Code." #NovaScotia
https://twitter.com/emcsheff/status/1334896144816742400?s=20

“Charged are: James Blair Banfield, 64-years-old of Sackville, Lisa Diane Banfield, 52-years-old of Dartmouth, Brian Brewster, 60-years-old of Sackville #NovaScotia
https://twitter.com/emcsheff/status/1334896774339829760?s=20

Isn't that interesting! For a month leading up to the mass shooting, she and her relatives helped him stockpile ammunition. I wonder how she answered questions about why he needed the ammunition.

She's also suing his estate, valued at $1.2 million, on the basis that she was a victim of domestic violence since 2013.

Interesting. As the shooter didn’t have a PAL, that explains how he got a large quantity of ammunition. So I have to wonder, were the four of them all into the conspiracy theory together - something about our country was about to crash and guns would be required to protect ones property plus Trudeau was about to confiscate everyone’s money?

This might also explain my burning question - why did she hide for so long in the woods before finally going to a neighbours the next morning? Perhaps she believed for a time that police were the enemy and her partner was fighting a sort of war.

This certainly open many more questions. We now know that he went to various houses in the area and shot people. Presumably she did not know that he would do that, so why did she hide in the woods rather than go to a neighbour's house?

"RCMP have said the violence started when the gunman attacked and restrained her. She escaped and later told investigators she initially hid in a truck before spending hours in a wooded area in Portapique before knocking on a neighbour's door around 6 a.m., according to a summary of interviews she gave RCMP."​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...an-lisa-banfield-charges-ammunition-1.5828411

These new charges will provide friends and family of victims with a living person to hold responsible for the murders. Until now, everyone viewed her as the first victim, but I now view her as having contributed to the murderers by supplying the tools to commit murder.

Photos of Houses.png

My guess: She was under pressure from her common-law husband/abuser, who was consumed by his end-of-days pandemic paranoia, to get ammunition from her relatives for what he perceived to be the coming apocalypse. Her brother and brother-in-law likely had the required licensure (I imagine reporters will dig that info up rather quickly) that GW did not. That they would agree to do so, knowing how mis-wired the shooter was, is unconscionable. I, too, am interested in whether they did so because they were of a similar mindset to GW regarding the pandemic, or if perhaps they were under duress, since much was made early in this investigation about threats of violence he reportedly made against Lisa Banfield's family members.

As far as her time in the woods, I think she likely spent some of the overnight hours indoors, in one of the many outbuildings on Leon Joudrey's property (see linked map). Given Mr. Joudrey's location, it is likely that she fled GW through the Blairs property and into the woods that bordered the properties of Mr. Joudrey and Frank and Dawn Gulenchyn.

Google Maps

Photos of Houses.png

My guess: She was under pressure from her common-law husband/abuser, who was consumed by his end-of-days pandemic paranoia, to get ammunition from her relatives for what he perceived to be the coming apocalypse. Her brother and brother-in-law likely had the required licensure (I imagine reporters will dig that info up rather quickly) that GW did not. That they would agree to do so, knowing how mis-wired the shooter was, is unconscionable. I, too, am interested in whether they did so because they were of a similar mindset to GW regarding the pandemic, or if perhaps they were under duress, since much was made early in this investigation about threats of violence he reportedly made against Lisa Banfield's family members.

As far as her time in the woods, I think she likely spent some of the overnight hours indoors, in one of the many outbuildings on Leon Joudrey's property (see linked map). Given Mr. Joudrey's location, it is likely that she fled GW through the Blairs property and into the woods that bordered the properties of Mr. Joudrey and Frank and Dawn Gulenchyn.

Google Maps

I understand that she was celebrating her anniversary with the shooter even though there was domestic abuse. Obtaining ammunition for a man who could not legally obtain it - that's crossing a line in my opinion. Although they may claim that they were threatened, that doesn't have any substance since all they had to do was go to the RCMP and file a report that he was trying to stockpile ammunition for a variety of weapons.

Photos of Houses.png

Google Maps

Wouldn’t the act of supplying him with ammunition facilitate carrying out threats to her family?.....although I don’t recall reading anywhere her family was threatened. I only recall it mentioned as speculation, why someone might stay with an abuser. Plus we can’t assume the killer and her relatives weren’t acquainted given they all lived in the small province of NS and the common-law couple had been together for more than 10 years.

I’m not quite ready to give her a pass without knowing the full story.

Is there restrictions on the quantity of ammunition one person can buy at one time, or was there at the onset of COVID? I don’t know the answer.

March 20th, 2020 -
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/unpre...sales-spike-amid-coronavirus-spread-1.5502092
Canadian gun owners fear ammunition shortage due to possible U.S. supply chain disruptions, experts say

Isn't that interesting! For a month leading up to the mass shooting, she and her relatives helped him stockpile ammunition. I wonder how she answered questions about why he needed the ammunition.

She's also suing his estate, valued at $1.2 million, on the basis that she was a victim of domestic violence since 2013.

they helped him stockpile???!!!
ook, I have to read the articles
unreal

Wouldn’t the act of supplying him with ammunition facilitate carrying out threats to her family?.....although I don’t recall reading anywhere her family was threatened. I only recall it mentioned as speculation, why someone might stay with an abuser. Plus we can’t assume the killer and her relatives weren’t acquainted given they all lived in the small province of NS and the common-law couple had been together for more than 10 years.

Is there restrictions on the quantity of ammunition one person can buy at one time, or was there at the onset of COVID? I don’t know the answer.

March 20th, 2020 -
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/unpre...sales-spike-amid-coronavirus-spread-1.5502092
Canadian gun owners fear ammunition shortage due to possible U.S. supply chain disruptions, experts say

I'm not giving her a pass regardless
unfreakingreal

She participating in the class action lawsuit because she experienced domestic violence prior to the shooting spree. I wonder whether the class action lawsuit will be amended now that she is accused of supplying the shooter with the tools to commit the murders.

"Banfield has not spoken publicly about what happened to her during the rampage, but a class-action lawsuit filed against his estate states that she “suffered personal injuries by the actions of Wortman.”
N.S. mass murderer’s spouse, who survived rampage, charged with giving him bullets

It doesn't sit well with me that she hid in the forest during the night. She could have gone to a neighbours house and asked for help. We know now that she would not have been safe at the neighbour's house, but she didn't know what he was planning so why hide in the forest?

upload_2020-12-4_15-26-2.png

https://www.courts.ns.ca/Supreme_Court/documents/TRU_498054_Amended_Statement_of_Claim.pdf

The more I read, the more I wonder what she knew or suspected.

"The unredacted documents also described how Bamfield and Wortman drove around central Nova Scotia on the day before the shootings, visiting many of the locations where he would later return to kill people. The common-law couple had been together for approximately 20 years."
N.S. mass murderer’s spouse, who survived rampage, charged with giving him bullets

March 20th, 2020 -
I don't think Lisa Banfield deserves a pass either. As a victim of repeated physical and psychological abuse at the hands of a psychopath, I want to feel some compassion, but as someone who is withholding information vital to the healing of families whose loved ones were killed by her common-law husband, her continued silence I find reprehensible. Now we learn that she helped supply the bullets that killed them? She needs to tell her story publicly, ASAP.

Given GW’s apparent mindset, there probably wasn't a limit to the amount of ammunition he wanted to stockpile, but he likely already had enough at his disposal to be an existential threat to Ms. Banfield and her siblings despite wanting her to procure more for him.

There were reports in the immediate aftermath that Ms. Banfield was afraid that GW may target (he was only about 10 minutes from two of her siblings houses in Sackville when he was killed while refueling; perhaps one or more were his next targets?) her family members, since he had reportedly made similar threats to her in the past as a means of controlling her. Not much has been made of it since, and it is otherwise unclear the nature of the relationship between Banfield's seven siblings (four sisters, three brothers) and the shooter. I imagine we'll be hearing more about those relationships now that this news has broken.

But the Banfields and GW certainly would have been quite familiar with each other given that Lisa Banfield and GW lived primarily in Dartmouth, the same town as two of her siblings, and very close to Sackville, the Halifax/Dartmouth suburb where she and her family are from, and at least two of her other siblings still reside.

March 20th, 2020 -
I would think providing her partner with ammunition is the last thing she'd want to do, considering she is said to have been an ongoing victim of his abuse. He has had reported incidents of flying off the handle, of violence, and it seems he may have had a nasty alcohol problem which may have fueled his fire, from what I've read. If she was afraid of him, afraid of what he would do if a neighbour/friend/relative or herself reported his activities and abuse, afraid to leave him, how could she even consider being involved with the provision of weaponry which would most likely lead to her own demise? At the very least, in GW's case, I would think he'd use it to either control or maim his partner. Keep her in line with threats.

I understand she is considered a victim, but I have always had a problem thinking of her hiding out for the entire night, to save her own life. Surely she must have been aware that he was wreaking havoc all around her, unbeknownst to anyone else, until they were faced with it. Surely while hiding in the woods she couldn't have missed seeing fire in the sky, hearing shots fired, smelling smoke, etc. Noise carries. Fire makes the night skies brighter. I would think the smell of homes and vehicles burning would waft through the air for miles. The sounds of them also exploding in pops here and there might have helped to reinforce her perception of her own risk, knowing that he had cruisers, uniforms, weapons, ammunition and even a stockpile of gasoline to fuel the fires at his disposal. But what about the rest of the community. They didn't even have a chance to run and hide.

No pass indeed, and many more questions. imo.

I wonder, what do people *think* will be done with ammunition?

I remember reading that GW did not have a cellphone, but his partner did. Has it ever been reported where her cellphone was, while she hid in the woods?
It has been reported that GW smashed her phone while assaulting her on April 18, but the reporting has been all over the place regarding whether he owned a cell phone himself. Most reports indicate that he didn't. This one, from May, suggests that he did, but that he kept it at his residence in Dartmouth and was not using it while passing the pandemic in Portapique.
N.S. RCMP use warrants to find killer's cellphone, computer and other devices

So LB is suing the estate but now her name has been added to the class action lawsuit filed against the estate by the families.

BBM

Common-law partner, 2 others charged with providing ammunition to N.S. shooter
“Campbell says the families of the victims have been notified of the charges.

A lawyer who represents the victims' families says they are relieved charges have been laid.

"They felt that this has been a major piece of the puzzle that has been missing," Robert Pineo told CTV News.

Pineo also says Lisa Banfield will be added to a class-action lawsuit against the killer's estate next week, based on the new information.

"Certainly, if the allegations turn out to be founded that she or they supplied ammunition that was used in a massacre, certainly that's a contributing cause to the deaths of the victims and that would bring civil liability," he explained.....”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase
Back