CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Parabon Nanolabs uses the DNA evidence to make a physical profile. Environmental factors are excluded, but, I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg.

I can see this being a huge genetic profiling tool for forensics.

https://snapshot.parabon-nanolabs.com

Starting with extracted DNA or biological evidence from your case, we will produce a detailed Snapshot report and composite profile that includes eye color, skin color, hair color, face morphology, and detailed biogeographic ancestry. Armed with this scientifically objective description, you can conduct your investigation more efficiently and close cases more quickly.

LE in Sonia's case need to be made aware of this DNA Phenotyping Snapshot.

For $5,000 they can get a Snapshot made of their suspect from his DNA.

So many unsolved cases. This is HUGE. Look at their website of Snapshots vs Actual.

Wow

I don't think that DNA Snapshot would be useful in this case. It would only produce a vague description that would fit a large portion of the population. What they need to solve this case is strong forensics and a good tip from the public. It takes time to track down all the tips they received and my guess is that, in time, this case will be solved.

I am curious as to whether they are testing all the DNA samples submitted. Does anyone know if they are still asking residents in Orangeville for their DNA?

I don't think that DNA Snapshot would be useful in this case. It would only produce a vague description that would fit a large portion of the population. What they need to solve this case is strong forensics and a good tip from the public. It takes time to track down all the tips they received and my guess is that, in time, this case will be solved.

Let's say the snapshot face would look like a man close to Sonia and the biogeographic ancestry characteristic would point to UK/Europe - that could be something for example! :)

I'm not sure of what age has been speculated for this perp here but I do not feel this was a teenager.

Snippets
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2012/08/10/sonia_varaschin_murder_probe_police_break_silence.html
Dec 26 2012
Karski said police know how many people they want DNA samples from but are not releasing that number.

“We’ve designed this DNA collection process in concentric circles around her life and the geography,” Karskisaid.

Former Toronto police homicide investigator Steve Reesor said in an interview that it’s very possible they have an eye on a suspect.

“For all you know, they do have a suspect and they’re working that suspect,” Reesor said.

Snip>

In late 2010, the OPP held an investigative summit on the case with local homicide investigators and profilers from the FBI’s Behavioural Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia.

At the end of the summit, police announced the killer may have become irritable and anxious, and increased his alcohol or drug use after the murder.

He may also have missed routine activities, like work or school.

He might have left the area or cut his social interactions.

Investigators told the public they also suspect he feels comfortable in the Orangeville area, either through work, recreation or illegal activity.

Police have said that the killer knew of Varaschin but they have never publicly said that she knew him.

Snip>.

There has been plenty of speculation about why her body was moved to a wooded area outside Orangeville.

Reesor said this suggests the killer may not have carefully planned the crime.

“It’s almost like a certain amount of panic in the reaction after the offence,” Reesor said.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ict-Watch-Discussion-Thread-06-13-2016/page25

Verdict Watch Discussion Thread 06.13.2016 -Bosma Trial- Dellen Millard/Mark Smich

Located throughout the above thread there are posts re DM's past life, his connections to different people like Laura B (trial will follow) AND perhaps Sonia (it is possible Laura had a connection to Sonia). The source is user "porkchopp". Very interesting to read and maybe to sleuth some names which are dropped in addition.

After the Laura B trial (Dellen Millard/Mark Smich) we will know a lot more but it seems a little bit to unfold already now.

I've been thinking more about Snapchat lately, and I agree wit those of you who posted that the tech indeed seems more like a tool to narrow possibilities or exclude potentials based on phenotypical characteristics rather than identifying a particular suspect. We're coming up to 6 years, now -- and hardly a peep in the news. Wouldn't it be helpful for LE this year to announce the general and likely traits that Snapchat would produce for Sonia's killer even if, again, these are fairly generic? Even if just to give the public and family a semblance of hope for moving forward? Or even simply to rattle the perp a bit with announcements of enhanced technology to help pinpoint him? I hate to think of Sonia's killer walking free in the world -- is he always anxious and looking over his shoulder? Laughing to himself over x number of DNA tests with 0 match? Or --? I think something needs to shake this investigation up this year. I'm not suggesting a publicity stunt by media and/or LE on the "anniversary" this year. But I know we all want an update, and a spotlight reminder that Sonia is not forgotten. I also know LE wants this case solved as much as any of us here do. It must be very depressing for the officers who have worked closely on justice for Sonia to see another year come and pass -- I know it's hard for us sleuthers too.
What will it take for a break? SOMEONE surely has a tip they're hanging on to! Nothing is too small, unlikely, or embarrassing to bring forward at this point, surely.
2sm
ps -- I hope LE actually DOES have the killer's DNA on file to even make use of Snapshot a possibility. It has always been my fear they don't.
Did we ever receive confirmation from any of the men tested that they received "clearance" (no-match) letters?
Hope I'm wrong.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mike-pimentel-killing-serial-1.3358573

Social media clues lead to arrest
of man in 2012 Toronto killing

Toronto homicide detectives have charged a man with second-degree murder in a four-year-old cold case after using social media to share clues with a global audience.

Using an unusual investigative technique inspired in part by the popular podcast Serial,
police arrested Shawn Poirier, 30, and charged him with second-degree murder in the 2012 New Year's Day killing of Mike Pimentel.

At a news conference Thursday morning, Toronto Police Staff Insp. Greg McLane said the decision by investigators to share details of the killing on social media was key to the arrest.

"It attracted their interest," said McLane. "It was different. It sparked their curiosity. People wanted to be a part of this. It was very captivating."

Why not use the method in searching for Sonia's killer?

I found a 2001 article online from a Humber paper ("Humber Et Cetera") on pets and health that profiles Sonia / features a few quotes from her --
http://library.humber.ca/digital-archive/sites/default/files/coven/Jan25_2001_Vol29_No15.pdf (see page 14). The article seems to makes it clear that Sonia lives alone -- the story speaks to the comfort she has in her cat when she comes home "to an empty home after a long day at school" and states that "it is not uncommon for students living alone to have pets". Is it possible that someone had been watching her since 2001, after this public statement on a woman living alone? Probably a long shot and yet still kind of odd to read, even from all those years ago. And yet the story is also in many ways lovely -- it speaks beautifully to Sonia's relationship to her beloved cat.

I found a 2001 article online from a Humber paper ("Humber Et Cetera") on pets and health that profiles Sonia / features a few quotes from her --
http://library.humber.ca/digital-archive/sites/default/files/coven/Jan25_2001_Vol29_No15.pdf (see page 14). The article seems to makes it clear that Sonia lives alone -- the story speaks to the comfort she has in her cat when she comes home "to an empty home after a long day at school" and states that "it is not uncommon for students living alone to have pets". Is it possible that someone had been watching her since 2001, after this public statement on a woman living alone? Probably a long shot and yet still kind of odd to read, even from all those years ago. And yet the story is also in many ways lovely -- it speaks beautifully to Sonia's relationship to her beloved cat.

Thank you! :)

"My cat doesn't care when I
have a bad hair day. She takes
you for who you are, she's
very non-judgmental."

-Sonia Varaschin

It will be six years at the end of this month. I wonder if any new info will be released?

Ugh. This case is the most aggravating case ever. LE should release everything. They have the DNA. If there is a person of interest, follow them and get a sample to compare. Ugh.

Ugh. This case is the most aggravating case ever. LE should release everything. They have the DNA. If there is a person of interest, follow them and get a sample to compare. Ugh.
He's out there. Where?

There are too many heinous murders in south western ontario that remain unsolved.

Many a sleepless night on Sonia's case.

Unfortunately no news in case Sonia.

My last thoughts are:
Maybe there was "Bullying in the Workplace" https://www.pshsa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/BullyWkplace.pdf and led to Sonia's murder (we heard of some pressure at her last Hospital work place).
Maybe there was "Domestic Violence in the Workplace" https://www.pshsa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/DomVioWkplace.pdf and led to her murder.

I wonder whether the staff (incl. supervisors) at Sonia's different work places have been interviewed thoroughly ....... I think: rather not.

I have been wondering whether it is possible that LE don't have DNA after all? Would LE lie to the public about this or better yet, can they lie about this? IMO, I would think that they wouldn't lie but then again it could be a tactic to spook the perpetrator.

Julia! This is something that worries me enormously. Yes, LE can lie to the public if it is considered advantageous to the case. I really worry that the DNA sweep was a "smokeout" targeted to a few individuals (to grouse them out, I mean -- scaring up a possible confession or pinpointing refusers as potential suspects) which has now got out of hand..... I really, really hope I'm mistaken on this. I for one don't believe we're at 600-or-so samples. Again, I don't think I've ever hoped more that I could be wrong about something!

There could be at 600 samples. It costs nothing to get, they don't have to run it. It could just be a tool in the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18