CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point, Colette, about taking samples -- but not running the expense of testing them.
(My own thought is that the DNA "sweep" was a ruse to 1) bolster the claim LE actually does have the killer's DNA: else how could they justify the time and expense of wide collection? and 2) to target a select group of persons of interest, gauge their reactions, and exert the pressure of 'inevitable' capture, through the bluff of broad collection.)
But, yes, LE may have a large number of samples, after all, for all I know.
Is there anyone here who believes LE does have the DNA? I'd be relieved to be persuaded so. :)

Yes, I believe that LE has DNA evidence. Her body was found, her car and evidence from inside of her house too. Her blanket or sheet was recovered with her as well, IIRC.

Yes, I believe that LE has DNA evidence. Her body was found, her car and evidence from inside of her house too. Her blanket or sheet was recovered with her as well, IIRC.

I believe so too. It is very rare for LE to request voluntary DNA samples in the manner in which they did with this case. They also seem to be of the mindset that the perpetrator is male, something they would know for sure from DNA evidence. Trouble is, if the perpetrator is never convicted of another violent or sexual in nature crime, their DNA will not make it to the national data bank for comparison.

MOO

Thanks for weighing in, both (and I know we've covered this ground before). With three crime scenes, it must seem a certainty. I guess the reason the prospect seems dismal to me is in statements like this:
"The DNA samples will be compared to DNA recovered during the Varaschin investigation, police said. If no match is found for a particular sample, that sample and all associated documentation will be destroyed. The men who provide samples will be notified via letters once it is determined their DNA does not match that recovered in the investigation" (http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/police-to-obtain-voluntary-dna-samples-in-varaschin-probe) against discussion on a thread for Sonia (on another site) where one poster, who claimed to be "of interest" to LE, indicated he had been approached for a sample, gave it, and never received the 'exoneration' letter. (And obviously he has not been charged.)
It's also this statement from Karski that made me panic (I saw the presser): "We believe we have the killer’s DNA and it’s only a matter of time" (http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/police-believe-they-will-soon-catch-varaschin-killer) -- it's the "we believe" that is so worrisome to me. In most press reports journos lopped off "we believe" for LE announcing "we HAVE" the DNA -- so that's the statement most people "heard." But it's not actually what Karski said. (There's a qualitative difference, for me, between stating we believe we'll catch the perp and we believe we have DNA. One should be a supposition that follows from the fact of the other. But maybe LE couches the claim outside of certainty for legal reasons? Or could they have commenced testing prior to the first results from the scenes coming back from the labs?). As a little aside: I of course don't blame LE if this WAS a smokeout strategy -- I commend them! I support every strong effort to solve this nightmare -- I just fervently hope it wasn't this.
Interesting, from the same first article above:
"OPP Const. Peter Leon said the DNA sampling marks a new phase in the nine-month-old investigation, though he added police have no new information to release. 'Investigators have been working on various leads and this is where it’s taken them,' he said. 'This is a new phase in the investigation, and this new course could be the turning stone.' DNA sampling is a rarely used investigative technique. Const. Leon said he knew of only a few cases in Ontario in which it had been used. 'DNA sampling is certainly not very common,' said Hamish Stewart, associate professor at the University of Toronto Law School. 'But in general, it’s a very useful investigative technique.' Prof. Stewart said the primary reason DNA sampling is so rare is due to the costs, both financial and in terms of work" (http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/police-to-obtain-voluntary-dna-samples-in-varaschin-probe)

How is it (only) "leads" (like targeted individuals) and not science that leads to the new phase?
Anyway, I'll stop now. I don't think my insistence is actually helpful here. I'm not even sure this is useful to post. I think I'm feeling anxious because it is now the 6-year mark -- it's Sunday today, and tomorrow is Monday, and although the timelines aren't fully clear, we do know this is the window. If I'm feeling so anxious, I can only imagine how Sonia's friends and family feel this weekend. My heart goes out to them. Hoping for some online, print, or televised news to mark this time -- and maybe give some glimmer of hope for justice and closure.

I doubt she was killed by an online guy. Wouldn't he have his own car to meet up with her? I would think people really need to have a car in Orangeville to get anywhere. Did anyone notice another car in her driveway? I haven't heard about another car seen at her place. So, a guy or guys without any car. Uses her OWN car to dump her body and then dumps the car nearby, within walking distance from ground zero. Sounds like a loser who depended on other people to pick him up and drop him off, taxis or transit but that's MOO.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/08/30/s...-still-searching-for-sonia-varaschins-killer/
Aug 30 2016
'Someone has information:' police still searching for Sonia Varaschin's killer

“This crime not only impacted the town of Orangeville, but the surrounding area as well,” OPP Sgt. Peter Leon said Tuesday.

“To date we have investigated well over 1,000 tips. Detectives believe that someone has the information that can help identify the killer or killers. Now is the time to call whether you have lived with the information for the past six years or just may have learned about it recently.”
“It is an active and ongoing investigation,” Leon said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police, he said

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2016/08/30/probe-into-varaschins-murder-continues

Investigators have repeatedly stated that a member of the public has the key piece of information that the detectives need to help solve this case. If you are this person and have lived with this information and have not yet contacted the police, then now is the time to make that call. The information that you possess may in fact help to identify the person or persons responsible for her murder.

http://www.680news.com/2016/08/30/s...-still-searching-for-sonia-varaschins-killer/

Six years after Sonia Varaschin was killed, Ontario provincial police believe someone knows what happened, and are asking them again to come forward.

Police are now sure that someone knows, other than the killer imo.:scared:

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2016/08/30/22663019.html
Aug 31, 2016
New video of murder victim Sonia Varaschin offers a brief glimpse into one of the many joyous moments that filled the Orangeville woman’s life before she was slain in 2010.

The clip released Tuesday — the sixth anniversary of the nurse’s disappearance — is just 14 seconds long, but OPP says it shows 42-year-old Varaschin as a human being, perhaps even a next-door neighbour, rather than the victim of an unsolved homicide.
“This video shows Sonia smiling and laughing in a way the public has never seen before,” Sgt. Peter Leon said. “It’s the way those who knew her would want her to be remembered.”
The footage shows Varaschin enjoying a carefree moment with a friend during a 2009 vacation in Jasper, Alta. The two women appear to be having a blast as they clumsily row a boat across a lake in Tonquin Valley.

He added investigators have repeatedly stated that someone has the key piece of information that detectives need to solve this case.

“Any information, no matter how small it may seem, could help investigators turn the corner or even explore a new direction in the case,” he said.
rbbm.

Hope so!
Again I wonder why we don't have info on fingerprint testing. Surely there were prints on the car door handles, possibly mirror, the townhouse front door (we know by the blood on the steps the perp at least exited that way), maybe on stair rails in her unit, etc. We've chatted here before about this issue: we know Sonia's dad washed her car the day of/before the murder -- Sunday. It would be good to know how thorough this was: a rinsing only, or soaping, with brushing/scrubbing? The latter would be more likely to wash away old prints -- like of family and friends, previous bfs -- that you'd normally expect to find there. In a way, it's an ideal scenario for collection: presumably there would be only Sonia's prints on the driver side handle or door (and possibly her dad's, from washing); there might not be any prints on the trunk or trunk handle *IF* her dad washed there and neither Sonia nor her family needed to open her trunk that fateful day she left after lunch. It would be optimal if her dad cleaned thoroughly, including the handles (he sounds like he is and was an amazing dad). Certainly, at least, I have written here before about finger prints from the perp likely adjusting the mirror or seat position handle when the perp drove her car. The fact that we haven't heard about fingerprinting makes me wonder: 1.Were the prints wiped? Or did he wear gloves? And if so, what does this tell us about the perp, motive, planning, his state of mind or training or experience? or 2. Conversely, were there too many prints to test and/or all associated with friends/family/bfs/Sonia herself as you'd expect there? (Ie, the washing did not remove previous prints.) or 3.Does LE *have* prints and are not telling us? So far, we know about the "wide" sweep of saliva swabs but as I keep asking, I don't think we've had any reference to fingerprints. or 4. Was evidence collected at the scene contaminated? And what does this say more broadly about the case, if so?

I agree, there should be prints - finger prints as well as palm prints. If not, then he wore gloves. If he wore gloves then going into her home was pre-planned. Murdering her was not planned imo. If preplanned, he would have buried her. She was brought out of Orangeville and hastily disposed of - off of a sideroad.

Theories abound, and here is another one of mine -

Is it feasible that;

The killer knew that she worked for a pharma co, and entered her townhouse to obtain drug samples. He woke her up, and she screamed, and once he realized that she had nothing, he could not get away, as she was fighting him off, and things got out of hand.
She was raped and ultimately murdered.
Because murder was not original intent, he panicked and removed her from the townhouse, hoping to bide for time to cover up his involvement, because he was familiar and associated in someway to those townhouses.
He has done b&e before and always wore gloves.He may also have been involved in car thefts.

Police earlier said, that he was familiar with her, but she may not necessarily have known him
A new direction is needed. Testing men from dating sites has proved worthless, took up time, and money wasted"
They should look into thefts. Since they have his dna they should also consider using the new forensics and use "Snap Shot of the killer.

jmo.

Hope so!
Again I wonder why we don't have info on fingerprint testing. Surely there were prints on the car door handles, possibly mirror, the townhouse front door (we know by the blood on the steps the perp at least exited that way), maybe on stair rails in her unit, etc. We've chatted here before about this issue: we know Sonia's dad washed her car the day of/before the murder -- Sunday. It would be good to know how thorough this was: a rinsing only, or soaping, with brushing/scrubbing? The latter would be more likely to wash away old prints -- like of family and friends, previous bfs -- that you'd normally expect to find there. In a way, it's an ideal scenario for collection: presumably there would be only Sonia's prints on the driver side handle or door (and possibly her dad's, from washing); there might not be any prints on the trunk or trunk handle *IF* her dad washed there and neither Sonia nor her family needed to open her trunk that fateful day she left after lunch. It would be optimal if her dad cleaned thoroughly, including the handles (he sounds like he is and was an amazing dad). Certainly, at least, I have written here before about finger prints from the perp likely adjusting the mirror or seat position handle when the perp drove her car. The fact that we haven't heard about fingerprinting makes me wonder: 1.Were the prints wiped? Or did he wear gloves? And if so, what does this tell us about the perp, motive, planning, his state of mind or training or experience? or 2. Conversely, were there too many prints to test and/or all associated with friends/family/bfs/Sonia herself as you'd expect there? (Ie, the washing did not remove previous prints.) or 3.Does LE *have* prints and are not telling us? So far, we know about the "wide" sweep of saliva swabs but as I keep asking, I don't think we've had any reference to fingerprints. or 4. Was evidence collected at the scene contaminated? And what does this say more broadly about the case, if so?

She washed her car that Sunday? Maybe the perp was watching her. JMO

The clip released Tuesday — the sixth anniversary of the nurse’s disappearance — is just 14 seconds long, but OPP says it shows 42-year-old Varaschin as a human being, perhaps even a next-door neighbour, rather than the victim of an unsolved homicide.

Interesting that the story mentions her AS a next-door neighbour. I wonder if a next-door neighbour is suspected? JMO

"It's important for people to remember that Sonia was the girl next door and we've said right from the very on set the community holds the key to solving this crime," says OPP Sgt. Peter Leon.

"Next-door" again. Just saying....

barrie.ctvnewyearss.ca/six--later-investigation-continues-into-the-murder-of-sonia-varaschin-1.3050690

Quote Originally Posted by dreamwatcher
"Is it feasible that:
The killer knew that she worked for a pharma co, and entered her townhouse to obtain drug samples. He woke her up, and she screamed, and once he realized that she had nothing, he could not get away, as she was fighting him off, and things got out of hand.
He has done b&e before and always wore gloves.He may also have been involved in car thefts."

RSBM.
That's as possible/plausible as anything!
One thing re: your original post which I haven't quoted here: we don't know Sonia was sexually assaulted. LE has never disclosed this. I hope this is not the case -- I'm hoping she was killed while sleeping and was never awake to know what happened. I don't know if that's so, but the idea of it gives me comfort (if but little) to think.
Matou: a neighbour is also a very real possibility. Some people here have speculated that Sonia was moved *because* the perp has an association with the townhouse/complex.

Are we referring to the three party goers who lived a few doors down?

They left the townhouse, and I wonder if they were tracked down by police and tested?

Why would the killer wear heavy work boots during that August heat wave? i have never been able to understand it.
Why not runners?

I did notice that the two males in the gazebo wore these work boots - so am wondering if this crime was committed by youth.
Regardless of the heat, these boots were worn by youth, as it was the fashion. The two of them were cleared of course.

If not worn for work, at what age would youth turn to other types of footwear? Would they wear these boots in their late 20's early 30's for fashion purposes?

Can anyone take a wild guess?

Are we referring to the three party goers who lived a few doors down?

They left the townhouse, and I wonder if they were tracked down by police and tested?

Why would the killer wear heavy work boots during that August heat wave? i have never been able to understand it.
Why not runners?

I did notice that the two males in the gazebo wore these work boots - so am wondering if this crime was committed by youth.
Regardless of the heat, these boots were worn by youth, as it was the fashion. The two of them were cleared of course.

If not worn for work, at what age would youth turn to other types of footwear? Would they wear these boots in their late 20's early 30's for fashion purposes?

Can anyone take a wild guess?

Maybe it's someone who worked somewhere that needed these types of workboots. Factory, industrial, construction, etc. etc. Shiftworker?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=soni...hWMLsAKHWEZAbsQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=Hss6o6NDy8VN7M:
attachment.php

Attachments

• b44ac8394631b321f5a411f213b9_Gallery.jpeg
    b44ac8394631b321f5a411f213b9_Gallery.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 63

Interesting that the story mentions her AS a next-door neighbour. I wonder if a next-door neighbour is suspected? JMO
I'm baffled by LE's selection of the clip.

Also - there was no sound for me? ?

Anyone else find the clip an odd selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18