CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.orangeville.ca/news/2015/05/21/male-facing-assault-and-weapons-charges :silenced:

... I still would like to know :please: if there are/were connections to this seemingly chaotic laddie (my judgement: incl. SM) .... Maybe neighbourhood/business?Young/disorganised/in trouble after murder more than before. Same town. One of the men in gazebo video maybe? - I'm waiting for long now to hear something in the news.
Of course, I don't want for his mother/sister to have more trouble and sadness in their life than there is already. But - Sonia's killing finally has to be solved.

Blooding:' A look at how police have used DNA sweeps in Canadian criminal cases

It's called a "DNA sweep" or "blooding" — police ask a group of people to voluntarily provide samples of their DNA in order to crack an unsolved crime. Here are some cases involving the technique in Canada:

Sonia Varaschin

The 42-year-old nurse from Orangeville, Ont., had been missing for a week when her body was found in a wooded area outside the community in September 2010. Blood splatter was also discovered in her apartment and abandoned car. Two years later, police said they had collected about 600 DNA samples from men in the area. No arrests have been made.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/02/...p-conduct-huge-dna-sweep-in-northern-manitoba

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgu...ved=0ahUKEwjOgO_Dut7LAhWBOQ8KHY77AwIQrQMIOTAJ
Court also heard about a Word document located on a hard drive found at Millard's home titled "My old profile."

Data on the file shows it was a profile for the dating website Passion.com, court heard. In it, the profile says, "Hi there, my name is Evan."

I don't really believe that Millard or his acquaintances (gang?) are involved but who knows? Re him and "friends" nothing seems impossible. On another thread there was mention of a friend of DM (or fake name of himself?) who had a connection to Sonia. I'm only quoting.
P.S. The incinerator wasn't bought yet at the time of Sonia's murder. The date of his membership at the dating site is questionable.

I know it's a long shot, but (and I did call it in to LE) at the time of DM's arrest in the Tim Bosma case, I found a pic on one of his friend's social media sites (turns out, he was living with DM) that was a pic pretty much identical (may likely be the SAME pic; I'm not a computer forensics expert myself!) to the boot profiled by LE in Sonia's case, with the hashtags "#free ****" and "#freshtokill". It was such an odd photo -- no people, just the boot, just the tags. It was strikingly the same as the images circulated in reference to the boots worn by Sonia's killer. To be fair: we know the aesthetics of the boots could be slightly different in terms of colour-- it's the TREAD that is unique to this boot. You can't see the tread in the photo. But it is still so similar to what LE has been showcasing that I felt strongly at the time the photo was at least an "intertext" -- at least referencing the image(s) in Sonia's case.
DM doesn't at all fit my own profile for Sonia's killer --
and yet I think there is a LOT more we are going to hear about his activities, and likely all fairly chilling.
Anyway -- it was such an odd photo (who profiles just a single boot like that? SO identical to LE holding up an exact-looking boot in Sonia's case?) that it was nothing short of striking.
Again, i think it's a really long shot --
but weird enough that I called it in.

Everyone must be so confused about the murder of this beloved nurse.imo

http://www.thestar.com/initiatives/...schins_spirit_lives_on_at_camp_she_loved.html

"Jul 24 2011

LONGFORD MILLS, ONT.—Every summer for years, Sonia Varaschin packed her medical kit and headed north to Camp Summerfest. It’s where she spent part of her vacation caring for children with epilepsy and all the other kids who needed her help and a hug.

A registered nurse who specialized in epilepsy and neurological disorders, Varaschin was a highly respected member of the medical team at Summerfest, which is fully integrated into mainstream Camp Couchiching. Like other members of the health care group, Varaschin was a safety net making sure those with epilepsy stayed healthy. She loved camp so much, she often extended her vacation another two weeks to help at Cooch.

She did it because she loved kids and wanted to make dreams come true for children with special needs who required extra care. Without her and the other medical volunteers, these children may not have had the opportunity to go to camp and just be kids.

It’s why Varaschin’s death last Aug. 30 at the hands of a yet unknown assailant was a crushing blow to all who knew her, including her close-knit Camp Couchiching family. They’re still grieving her loss."

Yes. dotr. Camp Couchiching.

Thanks for posting the 2014 article above, FG --
but the news story itself seems to me one of those examples of bad reporting, since the claim that LE has "prints" from the scene suggests FINGERPRINT id, and we have never been told that LE has fingerprints from any of the scenes; rather, the "print" LE has released information on, only, is a bloody bootprint from which LE was able to extract a template for the boot tread sold exclusively at MWW. I have often wondered about fingerprints, but I hardly think the bayview news article is breaking this detail. Unless I am missing something? MOO.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/5-years-l...rching-for-sonia-varaschin-s-killer-1.2540208

In the last five years, police say they have been able to determine a number of key facts about the person who murdered Varaschin. However, they have been unsuccessful so far in identifying the killer, believed to be a male.

Police say they have a sample of the killer’s DNA, boot size, and style of boot he was wearing on the night of the murder. They have also checked the killer’s DNA against 600 different men, but to no avail.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/five-years-later-still-no-answers-in-sonia-varaschin-case-1.2539801
Police have publicized that the killer wore a size 11 work boot, and that they have a sample of the suspect’s DNA.

thanks, dotr, for that refresher. The DNA sweep involved saliva swabs, iirc -- not fingerprinting. This is something I've thought about a lot, since I had the opportunity to speak with a forensics expert some time ago who indicated that fingerprints are almost always found on rearview mirrors and door handles when cars are involved in crimes. If no prints were lifted off Sonia's mirror, trunk or doors, does that mean the perp wiped? And what does that do to the 'profile'?

thanks, dotr, for that refresher. The DNA sweep involved saliva swabs, iirc -- not fingerprinting. This is something I've thought about a lot, since I had the opportunity to speak with a forensics expert some time ago who indicated that fingerprints are almost always found on rearview mirrors and door handles when cars are involved in crimes. If no prints were lifted off Sonia's mirror, trunk or doors, does that mean the perp wiped? And what does that do to the 'profile'?
Interesting point about the fingerprints, if the perp was so reckless as to drive SV's car and leave blood on the open car doors, why suddenly become careful and wipe off prints?
Was the perp wearing gloves, if so- would he normally wear them, or did he wear them specifically for the murder? If so, maybe the murder was premeditated to some degree, and if that also is true, did he purposely make the murder look reckless?
If none of the above is the case, then maybe LE have fingerprints after all?
speculation, imo.

Interesting point about the fingerprints, if the perp was so reckless as to drive SV's car and leave blood on the open car doors, why suddenly become careful and wipe off prints?
Was the perp wearing gloves, if so- would he normally wear them, or did he wear them specifically for the murder? If so, maybe the murder was premeditated to some degree, and if that also is true, did he purposely make the murder look reckless?
If none of the above is the case, then maybe LE have fingerprints after all?
speculation, imo.

good questions, dotr. I don't think wiping prints but not blood is necessarily inconsistent, since I think we all presume the blood is Sonia's and thus non-identifying in that way. I think the perp was driving at night and the blood on the trunk might have been less visible than as found in the day, so he may have been less concerned about that than about his own info left at scene. I assume he was in quite a rush at the end....
I don't know if the perp did wear gloves, wiped, or neither, but IF LE has fingerprints, I'm pretty sure that's holdback info. We haven't had any examples of fingerprint testing in relation to this case to my knowledge. I'd feel much more reassurance if we could know LE HAS fingerprints!

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...ld-murder-case

Windsor police hope new DNA technology will lead to break in 1971 child murder case

Windsor police retained the services of Parabon Nanolabs in Virginia for the phenotyping. The technology was originally funded by the U.S. Department of Defense, and only became available for law enforcement use about a year and a half ago.

“It’s very, very new,” said Ellen Greytak, director of Bioinformatics for Parabon Nanolabs.

Greytak said the technique is so new that Parabon does not have information on success rates, as the cases where phenotyping “snapshots” have been used are still in the court system. She said the Windsor case is Parabon’s oldest yet.

The link was not working but your article summary helped. Thanks.

[video=youtube;RGGXm8DMC3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGGXm8DMC3k[/video]

Sonia's murder was a carefully planned murder by a predator whom is organized and psychopathic.

Sonia's murder was a carefully planned murder by a predator whom is organized and psychopathic.

Hi Julia, any more ideas or speculations? Welcome to WS. I think about Sonia and how her murderer(s) are still out there.

:welcome4::welcome4:

do you think the perp is local? an ex? online dating?

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...ld-murder-case

Windsor police hope new DNA technology will lead to break in 1971 child murder case

Windsor police retained the services of Parabon Nanolabs in Virginia for the phenotyping. The technology was originally funded by the U.S. Department of Defense, and only became available for law enforcement use about a year and a half ago.

“It’s very, very new,” said Ellen Greytak, director of Bioinformatics for Parabon Nanolabs.

Greytak said the technique is so new that Parabon does not have information on success rates, as the cases where phenotyping “snapshots” have been used are still in the court system. She said the Windsor case is Parabon’s oldest yet.
This is interesting. The link doesn't go anywhere to get more info. Looks like that article was taken down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon