CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting ideas, FG!

I don't mean to take us off track here, but I posted this on UC and wanted to bring it here:

"I have been thinking....
A long time ago I called in a tip about a pic of a boot that appeared on the fb or twitter page (can't recall offhand) of a friend of the accused (DM) in the Tim Bosma murder -- that friend was discussed here and on WS but was never named as a suspect and so I'm not sure what the 'rules' on this must be. I won't name that person here. But I took a screenshot/copy of that pic posted by DM's friend, and have been looking at it closely; it looks VERY much like the boot LE has profiled in Sonia's case. As I said then, it's hard to tell for certain it IS the same make, since I believe what was distinctive about the boot in Sonia's case is its tread, and I can't see the tread in the pic I copied. But it's still eerily the same; the boot I called in was being held up by someone whose face you can't see and the hashtags on the photo were 'freshtokill' and 'freeshit'. This has been really nagging and nagging at me....

I mean: really nagging at me, of late."

Interesting ideas, FG!

I don't mean to take us off track here, but I posted this on UC and wanted to bring it here:

"I have been thinking....
A long time ago I called in a tip about a pic of a boot that appeared on the fb or twitter page (can't recall offhand) of a friend of the accused (DM) in the Tim Bosma murder -- that friend was discussed here and on WS but was never named as a suspect and so I'm not sure what the 'rules' on this must be. I won't name that person here. But I took a screenshot/copy of that pic posted by DM's friend, and have been looking at it closely; it looks VERY much like the boot LE has profiled in Sonia's case. As I said then, it's hard to tell for certain it IS the same make, since I believe what was distinctive about the boot in Sonia's case is its tread, and I can't see the tread in the pic I copied. But it's still eerily the same; the boot I called in was being held up by someone whose face you can't see and the hashtags on the photo were 'freshtokill' and 'freeshit'. This has been really nagging and nagging at me....

I mean: really nagging at me, of late."

I remember the pic of the boots though I had never seen it. AM's fb account? (Didn't find the pic, not long ago and not today.) 'freshtokill' and 'freeshit' has to do with fashion and music, I believe. IF there was a connection, then why somebody would be sooo stupid to post a pic of evidence? On the other hand: why would somebody post a pic of some work boots at all?? What would be so special with these shoes? I could imagine they (whoever) noticed they had the same boots bought which were searched in a murder case and made a pic because of an irreverent joke. Don't know what was first: Sonia's murder or the pic?

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Beec...e982935738!2m2!1d-80.0883932!2d43.9178009!3e0

http://citizen.on.ca/?p=4150

“‘Cornstalks and Scarecrows” is the theme of Orangeville’s 161st Fall Fair, which runs this weekend from Friday, Sept. 4 through Sunday, Sept. 7.

I do know the fair has been discussed, but I want to go back again.

When was the fair in 2010? After the event is there an usual daylong demontage of special features??

Could it be, a man had saisonal work at the fair (maybe annual recurring) and had connections to Sonia?
If living in Orangeville, but working outside ie there, where fairs would have been planned, he is familiar with the Orangeville area, but he is only sometimes on site.
After the murder he could have been vanished to his work place on the fairground and after finishing his work he could have vanished to another work place outside of Orangeville.

How difficult would it be to find somebody like that?

Good question about fairs. from germany. Police are convinced this was not random.

http://www.northernlife.ca/news/policeandCourt/2013/10/28-body-found-estaire-sudbury.aspx

The husband of a woman murdered earlier this month in Estaire is dead.

In a post on their Facebook page on Monday, the Estaire Fire Department said Sheri-Lynn McEwan's husband, Deputy-Chief Terry Boyle, had died.

On another thread this murder of Sheri-Lynn McEwan (40 yo nurse!), POSSIBLY done by her husband who took his own life 20 days later, is connected with Sonia and Shelley.

The phantom pic of the man, seen in case Shelley L., seems to have similarity to a pic of TB.

TB and his future wife Sheri-Lynn met through mutual friends on a campground (don't know which) in 2010.
At that time he was living in St. Catherines and worked for GM forge shop, his nickname there was "Turtle".
I don't see it on the pics but he is said to have had reddish hair (thinking of Shelley).
2010 (? - in any case when he married Sheri-Lynn in 2013) he had been divorced 2 times and had grown children. In his obituary there is nothing mentioned of that.
TB was a volunteer fire fighter. In case Sonia there were rumours about a PO. Maybe they have similar uniforms, I don't know?

Food for thoughts, I think ...

TerryBoyleGarage.jpg Sheri-Lynn with partner TB
TerryBoyle.jpg TB

Map for all MAYBE relevant locations in case Sonia, Shelley, Audrey (though case/victim's age/motive doesn't fit), Sheri-Lynn:
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Anca...636c082837!2m2!1d-79.2468626!2d43.1593745!3e0

IF the profile really is of Sheri-Lynn McEwan, she answered to a corresponding question, her worst year in her life has been 2010.

Would like to know, why. Maybe nothing at all except other private reasons, maybe connections to Sonia's death or something like that? Maybe she was a friend of Sonia? - Sad, she is one of the poor women who can't tell us any more.

Thanks to: Wondergirl 16.12.2010 #148

I could only watch the first 26 minutes.

Here are my notes from the presser:

-Since August 30th, the OPP has been using all available resources to look for the person or persons responsible

-Recently held an unprecedented, 3 Day Investigative Summit, that included OPP, RCMP and FBI Behavioural Profile Analyists from Quantico, Virginia

-LE is asking residents of the community to exercise personal safety while out in the community and at home

-After a meticulous review of the case at the summit, there are specific traits that LE would like the public to focus on, immediately following the crime, and the days Sonia was discovered

-The following theory is that the man was very likely familiar with Beachgrove Rd., and very specifically the area where Sonia's body was discovered, either for recreational, occupational or illegal activities. *********

-Within days of the discovery, the man displayed unusual behaviour, unexplained absences from work or school, missed appointments.

-Within days of the discovery, may have had in increase in use of alcohol or drugs

-Within days of the discovery, the man may have been irritable, agitated or anxious

-The man may have moved away from the area

-The man may have had limited social interaction

-LE is confident they are are going to get this perp

-Someone is familiar with the traits described here

-LE would like to draw the attention back to the footwear. 6 Different tread possibilites on the size 10-11 Marks Work Wearhouse boot

-The man may still have them or may have disposed of them

-LE will take questions

(Can't hear the journalists questions very well)

-LE has every confidance it is a man

-The man is a cold blooded killer

-The man engaged in very high risk behaviour:

-Entered the home
-Killed Sonia in her home
-Removed Sonia from her home, in the very, very close confines of the townhouses
-Drove with Sonia's body down the highway, to the disposal location
(sound cuts out here on CBC)

-A tip will break this case open

-Can't speak to the evidence

-The investigation does not take place in the public eye

-460 tips

-500 People Interviewed

-LE is questioned about the woman recently attacked and in the hospital:

-There is physical and forensic evidence that is not back from being tested yet
-There are similarities and things dissimilar
-Can't say the 2 cases are not connected
-They are being investigated seperately, but are in touch with those investigators
-Right now the 2 cases appear dissimilar

-Why were the car doors left open on Sonia's car (he doesn't answer this question)

-LE is asked about a weapon. LE is not releasing any info on the weapon

-The killer engaged in very high risk activity. They were reckless. Drove bloody car. Removed body from very close townhouses. Very high risk.

-Asked if the man will kill again or re-offend? Other officer steps in and says that is speculation

-LE is asked what is so special about Sonia's case? Why were the FBI brought in for her case (unprecedented)

-In Canada, a case like Sonia's is so rare

-LE looked for expertise. Brought in Ontario Criminal profilers. FBI helped validate investigative theories and help focus in

-FBI was interested in Sonia's case, the FBI expressed interest (couldn't hear the rest, sorry, this is the thing I am most interested in, will have to go back and listen if nobody else does)

bbm

Oh, I didn't know! Thought it had been a certain tread, which I saw on pics ...

^In the quoted portion above, the statement/question about the "other woman attacked & in hospital", is this referring to the case of SL in the town of Mono?

The presser & subsequent post were made 5 years ago. What ever happened with the forensic evidence?

Perhaps the doors to SVs' car were left open simply to avoid being slowed down in the process of moving the body? Assuming the perpetrators' hands were occupied by a body & would be unable to close the door or trunk all in one "trip". Or perhaps left open intentionally to draw attention to the car & crime?

Where exactly was the blanket located in relation to SVs' body, car & home?

http://www.thecreemoreecho.com/category/news/

PERSON AT HIGH RISK TO RE-OFFEND HAS MOVED TO CLEARVIEW, WARN POLICE
In relation to a public safety issue, the Ontario Provincial Police in accordance with the Police Services Act is releasing information regarding a person considered to be at a high-risk to re-offend, residing in the community of Clearview Township, Ontario.

The OPP is advising residents of the Clearview Township area that 28-year-old Brenden Sarginson has taken up residence on Concession 7 Sunnidale. He has previous criminal convictions for theft under $5,000, sexual assault and fail to comply with a probation order.

Sarginson recently completed a custodial sentence in Alberta and has been released on probation. He is currently bound by three probation orders, one of which expires Dec. 5, 2015 with the following conditions: 24 hour curfew, unless accompanied by a designated adult, keep the peace and be of good behaviour, not to enter any residence of any children under 18years, not to attend any place where children can be expected to congregate, not to volunteer in a capacity that involves being in a position of trust or authority towards any person under the age of 18 years.

Sarginson is described as a Caucasian male with hazel colored eyes, shaved brown hair in a crewcut style. He is described as being six feet tall with a heavy build, weighing 200 pounds.

He is required to report to a Barrie probation and parole officer as well as the Huronia West OPP on a regular basis and he will also be monitored by an electronic monitoring device while on probation. Anyone with information regarding a breach of the above noted conditions, please contact police at 1-888-310-1122 or Huronia West OPP at 705-429-3575.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Clea...03f1c45e1c!2m2!1d-80.0943113!2d43.9199788!3e0

-.-.-.-.-

ARSON SUSPECT SOUGHT BY OPP
The Huronia West OPP have released a sketch of the man they are looking for in connection to an arson that destroyed a house on the Mulmur-Nottawasaga Townline south of Creemore on October 12.

The “person of interest” is described as a white male in the range of 38 to 42 years old, around six feet in height and 190 pounds in weight, with a fit build, sandy coloured blond hair with brown accents and grey/blue eyes. He was clean shaven, wearing a brown leather vest and pants, brown cowboy boots and a brown flannel shirt, and was carrying a crossbow on his back. He was driving a tan-coloured extended-cab pickup similar in style to a Toyota model.

The police are requesting the assistance of the public in solving this investigation. If you know the suspect or his whereabouts, or have any information in regards to this crime, please contact the Huronia West OPP at (705) 429-3575, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or submit your information online at www.crimestoppers.com.

Arson_Suspect.jpg

He has much similarity with the phantom pic in case Shelley, Sonia, Sheri-Lynn ...

I don't find the date/year of "The Creemore Echo". Perhaps somebody isn't as blind as I? ----- Seems to be actual: 2015?

The car doors were found open behind the Greenhawk Equestrian shop. This may have been done to not make noise of doors closing or to not touch them while closing them. Because both doors were open, it makes me think there were two perps. JMO

On page 8 of this thread, a poster claimed the bedding/blanket/sheets/comforter had been located but I cannot find a single line of text anywhere to validate this. Why separate the bedding from the body? (perhaps the perp put SV in the trunk wrapped in the bedding, then while removing SV from the trunk, the bedding is somehow separated from the body, the perp continues to move the body & leaves the bedding in the trunk to be discarded on its own? Just my own wild imagination)

@FG: Good connection between the sketch above & the sketch in SLs' case. Very similar features imo. Also, regarding the work boots: read somewhere that the tread pattern found could be attributed to 2 brands sold by Marks Work Warehouse -Wind River or Dakota. Also read that there are potentially 9 styles with that tread (assuming 9 styles with same tread under either Wind River or Dakota branding). I myself saw that same photo of that one particular boot. I believe it was included to show the tread of the sole, the style of the boot itself in that photo is maybe not relevant.

@matou: Leaving the doors open to keep things quiet makes sense. But why be so concerned with touching the doors? They had to touch the doors to get into the vehicle in the first place. Considering the state of both SVs' car & townhouse, would the perpetrator be worried about prints & evidence? Even if so, it seems they have slipped up & left traces of themselves behind.

Sorry to double post but I can't edit & made an error -___-

To revise what I'd said before about the trunk & doors being left open, I had forgotten the more "popular" theory that SVs' car was used to transport her body to where it was located & then driven back to the alley.

My reasoning only works if the trunk & doors were left open to move SVs' body from her vehicle to another, thus leaving SVs' car in the state it was found in the alley. The major issue with this is why would someone transport a body in their own vehicle if they had access to their victims' car? Seems overly complicated.

Sorry to double post but I can't edit & made an error -___-

To revise what I'd said before about the trunk & doors being left open, I had forgotten the more "popular" theory that SVs' car was used to transport her body to where it was located & then driven back to the alley.

My reasoning only works if the trunk & doors were left open to move SVs' body from her vehicle to another, thus leaving SVs' car in the state it was found in the alley. The major issue with this is why would someone transport a body in their own vehicle if they had access to their victims' car? Seems overly complicated.

First I thought, you had perhaps made a mistake in thinking about Sonia's car. But you are perhaps even on the right path? :dunno:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/28/sonia-varaschin-still-unsolved-5-years-later
Sonia Varaschin murder still unsolved 5 years later

The case has frustrated law enforcement since Varaschin, 42, was reported missing the morning of Aug. 30, 2010.

Her Toyota Corolla would soon be found abandoned and blood-stained. Blood was also found inside her Spring St. home.

Days later, on Sept. 5, Varaschin’s body was discovered on a sideroad east of Caledon.

No word about, if Sonia had been transported with her car or another. Is that intentional? Or may we believe the story as before: she was driven with her own car to Beech Grove Sideroad?

Because of the blood on the back trunk of Sonia's car (sorry I don't have the media links to the image, but this has been discussed quite a bit here and on UC a long while ago) it seems certain that Sonia was transported in the trunk of her own car. General belief is that the perp used her vehicle to take her to Beech Grove and then brought her car back to either where his car was parked (near the tack shop) or from where he could walk home under some cover without leaving her vehicle too close to his home location. Why would he use his own car? Doing so would leave blood and other evidence that would be more for him to hide. Does this help, FG, or were you asking something else?

@FG: There was word about the killer using SVs' car to transport her. It's in the caption of the second photo in this article http:// www.insidecaledon.com/caledon/2010091022-sonia-varaschin-murder-investigation-update/ The article also includes a "photo line up" of different Marks Work Wearhouse boots.

My theory about the doors was an attempt to account for why the car was left in that state. As explained, my thinking was that the killer possibly left the doors & trunk open for the purpose of moving the body & getting out a.s.a.p. But of course, that idea goes against what LE think happened.

Ita, it doesn't make sense to use your own vehicle. I can understand why one might leave the drivers side door open but both doors & the trunk? After you've already completed the task? And if there were more than one person, where are the second set of shoe impressions?

@FG: There was word about the killer using SVs' car to transport her. It's in the caption of the second photo in this article http:// www.insidecaledon.com/caledon/2010091022-sonia-varaschin-murder-investigation-update/ The article also includes a "photo line up" of different Marks Work Wearhouse boots.

My theory about the doors was an attempt to account for why the car was left in that state. As explained, my thinking was that the killer possibly left the doors & trunk open for the purpose of moving the body & getting out a.s.a.p. But of course, that idea goes against what LE think happened.

Ita, it doesn't make sense to use your own vehicle. I can understand why one might leave the drivers side door open but both doors & the trunk? After you've already completed the task? And if there were more than one person, where are the second set of shoe impressions?

All the open car doors and trunk, with blood visible and left in a public place- reminds me of the aftermath of a car accident scene, fwiw, imo.

God this case just lurks in the back of my brain.

Will sweet Sonia EVER receive justice?

Will Sonia's family and friends ever find out the truth of what happened to her?

Rest in peace, Sonia. There are memories of you here in the hearts of so many - even strangers who did not know you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slymorrigan