CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unwrapping her body from the sheets/comforter would have caused even more spreading of blood and evidence.

I hate this case.

I hate this case too, I hate the fact that they have not caught the animal who did this :(

I would think that the perp wrapped up SV in the comforter after she was killed and used it to transport her body to the car trunk. Stripping the bed of the other sheet(s) would have been an afterthought when trying to remove their DNA IMO.

Can't believe it's been 5 years and still no arrest or even a POI announced. Then again, Canadian LE usually keep things pretty quiet in their investigations so it wouldn't surprise me if they have a POI but no direct evidence to force them to submit to DNA testing. If there were local individuals (or people visiting for the weekend) who refused to give DNA samples, I doubt we'd ever hear about it. And without some solid information which would lead to an arrest, LE certainly cannot make someone comply.

LE seems to think that someone else knows who this person may be and could provide the information neccessary to make the arrest and perhaps get the DNA sample. And they've got $50,000 just sitting there waiting for them to collect it. I hope if such a person exists, they consider doing the right thing and making that call. 50 grand can go a long way.

MOO

I do not think they have a POI or they would have found a way to get DNA, such as in the trash or at his job. Even Drew Planten who tried to keep his DNA away from LE after Stephanie Bennett's murder was foiled by a persistent LE.

Taken from post #107

""Beige colour bedding, including a fitted sheet and a comforter, were among items taken from the home, police said Friday as they described the grisly scene"

I wonder what other items he had taken from the home. We do know that he did not take her computers. Obviously he took her car keys.

Taken from post #107

""Beige colour bedding, including a fitted sheet and a comforter, were among items taken from the home, police said Friday as they described the grisly scene"

I wonder what other items he had taken from the home. We do know that he did not take her computers. Obviously he took her car keys.

As a nurse and in her new position working for a drug company, perhaps Sonia had, or was presumed to have, drugs in her home- maybe something like that was taken.
Might explain the crazy, violent and reckless actions of perp, imo.
For that matter, maybe alcohol was taken too?
If items taken were things like under garments, maybe that would indicate a very particular type of perp., or perps?

I do not think they have a POI or they would have found a way to get DNA, such as in the trash or at his job. Even Drew Planten who tried to keep his DNA away from LE after Stephanie Bennett's murder was foiled by a persistent LE.

I would think, especially here in Canada, that LE would have to obtain a warrant to collect DNA from anyone, in any manner, unless they are under arrest and in police custody. If all they have is a suspicion, it would be very unlikely that such a warrant would be granted. Now if they have witness testimony to suggest that someone is responsible, I'd imagine that warrant would be easier to obtain.

I could be wrong though.

MOO

I doubt LE needs a warrant to collect something thrown in the trash. DNA is obtained that way all the time.

Here's a link to a site discussing DNA search warrants: http://www.victimsofviolence.on.ca/rev2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=340&Itemid=30

According to the above, LE must have a warrant to obtain DNA. I'm assuming LE can't make an arrest off DNA obtained in a "public manner" such as from a used straw or cigarette butt. I don't think the link mentions DNA obtained in a public setting.

The discarded bedding really confuses me. If there were traces of DNA from Sonias' killer, wouldn't the person want to destroy it & not just randomly discard it for anyone to find? Why remove Sonia from her home at all?

Is it mandatory for LE to test/compare DNA found at a crime scene to known violent/registered sex offenders?

I'm so sure there are young guys involved with this and no one is snitching. One person hears screaming and another hears nothing with her windows open. WTH????

What happens is this: LE gets a discarded cigarette or drinking cup discarded from a person of interest. No warrant needed as it was a discarded trash. If DNA from the trash item collected matches with DNA from a crime scene, THEN LE can get a warrant to take a specimen from that person to do a legal comparison.

The discarded bedding really confuses me. If there were traces of DNA from Sonias' killer, wouldn't the person want to destroy it & not just randomly discard it for anyone to find? Why remove Sonia from her home at all?

Maybe they thought no one would find the bedding or at least not think it was related to the crime scene since it wasn't with her body. Signs of a tired killer making sloppy mistakes.

It might have been easier to roll her up in the sheet she was laying on, the fitted sheet. Also getting rid of any DNA by tossing bedding somewhere else not with her body. But the killer wasn't thinking clearly, because the bedding was found. Anyone who finds bloody bedding is going to report it or suspect a murder.

If the perp was very young, then maybe he was much too stupid to organize that all.

Maybe they thought no one would find the bedding or at least not think it was related to the crime scene since it wasn't with her body. Signs of a tired killer making sloppy mistakes.

A sloppy & unnecessary extra step. If you're that exhausted, why not just dump the blanket with the body & bail? Probably not a crucial point, but the blanket is still odd.

Regarding DNA & warrants, I'm not too familiar with procedures. So they take a "public sample" of suspect DNA to test and confirm suspicions. When a match is made, they get a warrant to obtain a "legal" sample. Is this considered "probable cause"? I mean, the step between confirming the "public sample" & obtaining the warrant? Are warrants and court orders the same thing? Sorry if these are dumb questions!

The "probable cause" would be the positive DNA test from the discarded item. A detective would write up the facts: such as "LE watched the suspect toss the cigarette". The cigarette then was taken to the lab, the results were a match to the crime scene DNA of the possible killer. Then the court/judge says "yes" there is "probable cause" to obtain a sample of that person's DNA. Then they issue a warrant to allow LE to force the possible killer give a sample for DNA.

The "probable cause" would be the positive DNA test from the discarded item. A detective would write up the facts: such as "LE watched the suspect toss the cigarette". The cigarette then was taken to the lab, the results were a match to the crime scene DNA of the possible killer. Then the court/judge says "yes" there is "probable cause" to obtain a sample of that person's DNA. Then they issue a warrant to allow LE to force the possible killer give a sample for DNA.

Appreciate you taking the time to explain. This is what I thought but was fuzzy on the terms & procedures. I guess none of this even applies if LE don't have a suspect.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/08/29/sonia_varaschin_murder_investigators_release_video.html

“These individuals are potential witnesses and are not suspects in this case. Anyone who recognizes these people are requested to contact the investigators immediately.”

http://m.orangeville.com/news-story...gators-aren-t-giving-up-on-finding-her-killer

On the fourth anniversary of the Orangeville woman’s murder, police released surveillance footage taken near the gazebo behind town hall the night of Varaschin’s disappearance.

Glassford said police have since been able to identify those two individuals in the footage and eliminate them as suspects.

Not important now, but it seems we were right: the men weren't only "witnesses". :)

Might that suggest perp could be physically similar to the witnesses?
Would dna reveal that kind of information?
imo, speculation.

Young man/men - as the profiler said.

I just read on another forum, Sonia's bf was living near the place where Sonia was found after murder. I didn't know that.

IR was named an on-and-off bf. Maybe Sonia had a relation to somebody for the off-times, maybe he loved her and didn't like "to share" her again and again. Maybe he was very young and in her eyes not a serious partner for her future.
There could have been an arguement to do with jealousy and humiliation (too young to be a husband/a father/a bread winner and so on) and it could have happened an unplanned murder out of rage.

The lover/perp could have had the nasty idea of disposing Sonia near her bf's address to shock him or to harm him (or both). Perhaps this was a reason to dump Sonia's body relative near beside the street and not more hidden.

Perhaps the lover/perp had 1a knowledge of the area between Orangeville (living there) and Beechgrove Road because he stalked Sonia and bf in their off-times, always when Sonia was again close with bf IR.

I would like to know, if IR would have an idea of his possible (maybe young) rival and could name/describe him.

Wonder if the dna retrieved from the crime scenes gave LE a good idea of what the perp/s looked like in Sonia's case?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/science/building-face-and-a-case-on-dna.html?_r=0
rbbm
"The Toronto Police Service has submitted DNA from 29 cases dating from the early 1980s through 2014 to Identitas. In 10 instances, the quality of the sample was too poor for any analysis to be done.

In a number of other cases, “it’s enabled us to actually change the direction we were focused on originally,” said Detective Sergeant Stacy Gallant, a cold-case homicide investigator. But there have been no arrests or convictions as a result, he said.

Sex has long been ascertained from crime scene DNA. About 15 years ago, some police departments began trying to determine the geographic ancestry of suspects, as well, by using tests like the ones consumers order to learn about their genetic heritage.

In 2003, such information helped redirect the search for a serial killer in Louisiana. Police had been looking for a white man based on a witness account and on psychological profiles.

But DNA found at the site of one of the murders indicated the person’s ancestry was 85 percent sub-Saharan African. Eventually, a black man was convicted of the crimes.

Now researchers are closing in on specific physical traits, like eye and hair color."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon