Found Deceased Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your research.

Simply moving a body would result in the same charge in virtually every murder case then. It doesn't.

182. Every one who

(a) neglects, without lawful excuse, to perform any duty that is imposed on him by law or that he undertakes with reference to the burial of a dead human body or human remains, or

(b) improperly or indecently interferes with or offers any indignity to a dead human body or human remains, whether buried or not,

is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Perhaps it was a break and enter/burglary that went horribly wrong. Just a thought I had given his prior history.

​Saretzky will remain in custody until making his first court appearance in Lethbridge next Wednesday. He has no criminal record but was supposed to appear in court on Tuesday (September 15, 2015) on outstanding charges of breaking and entering and possession of property under $5,000 from an incident in August.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/derek-saretzky-blairmore-homicides-suspect-1.3231499

Perhaps it was a break and enter/burglary that went horribly wrong. Just a thought I had given his prior history.

​Saretzky will remain in custody until making his first court appearance in Lethbridge next Wednesday. He has no criminal record but was supposed to appear in court on Tuesday (September 15, 2015) on outstanding charges of breaking and entering and possession of property under $5,000 from an incident in August.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/derek-saretzky-blairmore-homicides-suspect-1.3231499

I was under the impression that they knew each other. Why would he break and enter the property?

No. It's more sinister.

This is the section of the Canadian criminal code that defines indignity to a human body
Section 182. (a) neglects, without lawful excuse, to perform any duty that is imposed on him by law or he undertakes with reference to the burial or a dead human body or human remains, or. (b) improperly or indecently interferes with or offers and indignity to a dead human body or human remains, whether buried or not....it could simply mean that dumping the toddler's body is an indignity
So yes it is most likely this charge was laid due to the accused moving and dumping the child's body. If there was something more sinister that would be reflected with further charges

AND he also had another legal brushes with the law:

"Court records also reveal Saretzky faced stolen property and theft charges in 2012 and 2013, matters that were dealt with by alternative measures, meaning the prosecution withdrew the charges after Saretzky met certain conditions."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...pect-1.3231499

Not exactly a model citizen. Clearly on the wrong path IMO.

Also you can search a database for court transcripts at Canlii.org and there was no hits for TB, unless I missed it. So I would assume he was not convicted or got some sort of conditional discharge thus it would not be listed

I was under the impression that they knew each other. Why would he break and enter the property?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a petty thief broke into the home of someone they knew to steal something they wanted. I don't know if I even believe that's what happened, but I suppose it's possible he (DS) figured he could sneak in, in the middle of the night and never be heard or caught.

Which brings me to my next thought: was TB scheduled to work the next day? The reason I ask is that I have to wonder, IF these 2 were on friendly terms and he (DS) was hanging out at Terry's house, he certainly wouldn't have been there at 3 in the morning if Terry was scheduled to work the next day. And another thought completely out of left field, based on the sudden change in Terry's life when Hailey was born (leaving behind the trouble and getting his act together) you wouldn't think he'd have anyone at his house, especially when Hailey was there, that might be a source of trouble. So if they were actually friends and not just aquaintences Terry must have not felt he (DS) was any kind of threat. So, what the heck was DS doing at Terry's house at 3 in the morning??

Just thinking out loud. FWIW.

prob xanax

In the interview with Cheyenne Dunbar, the first thing she says is that "she didn't really want to come down here" so I have to think that she did not arrange to meet with the Media.

As for being sedated, I don't think she's sedated but she could have something to take the edge off.

I know at a tragic time in my life I was prescribed something (can't remember the name now) that allowed me to keep on going, but it kept my emotions in check. Calmed me down. I felt very little and her demeanour reminds me of me. Every now and then the emotion would surface for a minute and then I would get a grip and go on.

I can't imagine her grief.

This is the section of the Canadian criminal code that defines indignity to a human body
Section 182. (a) neglects, without lawful excuse, to perform any duty that is imposed on him by law or he undertakes with reference to the burial or a dead human body or human remains, or. (b) improperly or indecently interferes with or offers and indignity to a dead human body or human remains, whether buried or not....it could simply mean that dumping the toddler's body is an indignity
So yes it is most likely this charge was laid due to the accused moving and dumping the child's body. If there was something more sinister that would be reflected with further charges

While I do agree that charge can be for simply abandoning a dead body, I do have a feeling there is more to it than that. When it was first announced they'd found her, they kept saying "remains" instead of body. They also mentioned (in nearly all the reports) they couldn't be sure yet it was actually her. This tells me she (possibly) wasn't easily identifiable at first look.

Or, it could simply be LE in that part of the country always say "remains" when referring to a dead person and she just wasn't formally ID'd at first.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a petty thief broke into the home of someone they knew to steal something they wanted. I don't know if I even believe that's what happened, but I suppose it's possible he (DS) figured he could sneak in, in the middle of the night and never be heard or caught.

Which brings me to my next thought: was TB scheduled to work the next day? The reason I ask is that I have to wonder, IF these 2 were on friendly terms and he (DS) was hanging out at Terry's house, he certainly wouldn't have been there at 3 in the morning if Terry was scheduled to work the next day. And another thought completely out of left field, based on the sudden change in Terry's life when Hailey was born (leaving behind the trouble and getting his act together) you wouldn't think he'd have anyone at his house, especially when Hailey was there, that might be a source of trouble. So if they were actually friends and not just aquaintences Terry must have not felt he (DS) was any kind of threat. So, what the heck was DS doing at Terry's house at 3 in the morning??

Just thinking out loud. FWIW.

IIRC Monday was Terry's day off, don't have a link just remember it being stated somewhere.

I have read a bit of this crime but not closely. I hate to say this but was Hailey the real target. I am Canadian and having followed some Canadian cases and much is not known after an intitial charge is laid. We dont know exactly what was done to this poor child. I hate to think it but it does seem reasonable. Sadly.

IIRC Monday was Terry's day off, don't have a link just remember it being stated somewhere.

In that case it makes a little more sense, if they were actually friends and not just known to each other, he might be there hanging out that late on a Monday morning. Although, 2 year olds tend to get up pretty early and from all accounts Terry was a really good dad, so it's hard to think he'd be up at 3am with a friend knowing Hailey would be awake in just a few hours.

All just speculation of course.

Also you can search a database for court transcripts at Canlii.org and there was no hits for TB, unless I missed it. So I would assume he was not convicted or got some sort of conditional discharge thus it would not be listed

According to Alberta Justice, Blanchette had convictions for assault and theft under $5,000 in Calgary in 2013, and failure to stop for police in Lethbridge in 2012. His other crimes ranged from stealing beef jerky from a dollar store to an assault that resulted in a $500 fine.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/missing-toddler-turned-her-dads-life-around-friends-say

I noticed this statement in the CBC profile on DS,
He has no criminal record but was supposed to appear in court on Tuesday on outstanding charges of breaking and entering and possession of property under $5,000 from an incident in August.

That's a pretty big coincidence, that 2 nights before his court appearance he commits these crimes. Might have contributed to whatever hatred/rage he had for TB.

I'm thinking about how the murderer of the Likness/O'Brien family was apparently motivated by some old, seemingly minor grudge.

While I do agree that charge can be for simply abandoning a dead body, I do have a feeling there is more to it than that. When it was first announced they'd found her, they kept saying "remains" instead of body. They also mentioned (in nearly all the reports) they couldn't be sure yet it was actually her. This tells me she (possibly) wasn't easily identifiable at first look.

Or, it could simply be LE in that part of the country always say "remains" when referring to a dead person and she just wasn't formally ID'd at first.

Remains is how the police refer to a human body in Canada. I wouldn't read too much into it. There would be additional charges otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214