GUILTY Canada - Tess Richey, 22, Toronto, 25 Nov 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Except he'll have wrecked his family, spent his best years cowtowing to other prisoners and prison officials, will continue to be under conditions of parole for the rest of his life, find it impossible to get a decent job, and be shunned by most people that find out about it. If he can be law-abiding in the community after that, what does additional punishment accomplish? Doesn't bring Tess back.

The Richey family will suffer for the rest of their days through no fault of their own. IMO

He, however, deserves whatever comes his way. It was his choice to kill. Hope he enjoys prison.

Well, he looks very effeminate to me. Not judging, just giving my 2 cent impression. IMO

Awkward usually goes away in late teens/ early 20s doesn't it? mind you, he's 21.

Wont be having fun in jail, esp with the guys with teenaged/20 something daughters.

Put him in general population once he's off remand.

Nothing wrong with pointing out an effeminate trait. It is what it is if that's what you see. May not be so, but it's ok to speculate.

I would almost agree with you. The photo of him with his cellphone shows what appears to be him in the midst of tapping at his phone, typing or swiping, and his hand gesture that is captured in the photo appears to be effeminate.

Just speculation.

Here's a bit of speculation.

While we are on the topic of "awkwardness" - what if he is socially awkward in general and it has nothing really to do with his age? What if, beyond the scope of his circle of friends, he tries to continue to meet people and is shot down because of his awkwardness? What if this triggers something in him? What if he's aware of his awkwardness, tries to combat it by overcompensating, being overly chatty, trying to strike up conversations with random people?

It appears as if perhaps he tries to meet people ( the girl in the previous week shot down his invite to go to El Convento Rico with him)....and he continues to try....(meets Tess outside the hotdog stand)....goes to the house where they were all last seen together (and IIRC, doesn't say much just sort of stands there according to the woman at the house)....then continues on with Tess afterwards....Tess realizes "This guy is super annoying, weird, I don't like the fact that I've now walked into this alleyway with him", tries to get away by either politely telling him, or perhaps he tried to come on too hard and she tried to get away, and he strangled her because once again, he was shot down because someone found him awkward and he was just sick and tired of it all and he snapped.

I also am brought back to the post his mother wrote on FB and how she just gushed and gushed and gushed about how proud she was regarding the incident where he 'saved that man'. Laying it on a bit thick? Wanting him to see it so he could feel that he is accepted? Loved? Recognized?

There is something more to him that we have yet to find out. I'm even wondering if the charge will be upgraded to M1 at some point?

Wild speculation, I know, but could be minutely possible IMO.

Well my friends, a friend of a friend of mine met and spent time with him a few years ago. I spoke with her late last night about it briefly (not on reddit, and our mutual friend is a longtime dear friend of mine) but she shed some further light on what people mean by awkward. I don't know how much I can say here? Does anyone know how permissible personal correspondence with someone who directly knows the suspect is? She gave me direct permission to share where needed.

One thing I will say is this, as a general comment. When you encounter "awkward" individuals in life, be sensitive to their needs, but ultimately if you see them crossing serious personal boundaries with people, do not let that slide. What we are hearing from people who knew Kalen was a pattern of (mis)behaviour that went unchecked because people wrote it off because "he's just awkward". Awkward or not, everyone can be taught, but only if someone actually addresses an issue.

nothing wrong with sharing that I know of......your decision.

nothing wrong with sharing that I know of......your decision.

I believe it's considered hearsay or rumor unless a member becomes verified. We need a mod to clarify.

One thing I will say is this, as a general comment. When you encounter "awkward" individuals in life, be sensitive to their needs, but ultimately if you see them crossing serious personal boundaries with people, do not let that slide. What we are hearing from people who knew Kalen was a pattern of (mis)behaviour that went unchecked because people wrote it off because "he's just awkward". Awkward or not, everyone can be taught, but only if someone actually addresses an issue.

Yes! I won't name anything specific, but I keep seeing reports of wildly inappropriate behaviour that was, and still is, just being written off or seen as no big deal.

Especially if someone is crossing the line into making unwanted physical contact or inappropriate sexual comments, I don't think that's "no big deal".

Yes! I won't name anything specific, but I keep seeing reports of wildly inappropriate behaviour that was, and still is, just being written off or seen as no big deal.

Especially if someone is crossing the line into making unwanted physical contact or inappropriate sexual comments, I don't think that's "no big deal".

Curious, are you speaking generally or about KL? I must have missed the stuff about KL.

He seemed to go from hero to zero in a couple of months. Saved a guy, killed a gal....alleged. IMO

http://www.nugget.ca/2018/02/06/tes...ter-the-same-night-as-she-died-police-believe
February 6, 2018 3:09:28 EST AM
cache.php

It started off looking like someone would get away with murder. Certainly, this killer was an enigma with a massive head start.
To make matters even more difficult, Toronto homicide detectives did not get this case until after a coroner changed the original cause of death — that she had fallen down the stairs as a result of intoxication — to strangulation.
A friend told Newstalk 1010 the “sweet” Schlatter was chatting with pals right up until the day of his arrest as if “nothing had happened.”

After his summer heroics, Schlatter’s mom, Helga, went to social media to say how “proud” she was. Sadly, Monday she was pushing away reporters from her west-end home.
This was not a story about getting away with murder but a lesson in how to catch an unknown suspect alleged to have committed one.

Curious, are you speaking generally or about KL? I must have missed the stuff about KL.

He seemed to go from hero to zero in a couple of months. Saved a guy, killed a gal....alleged. IMO

Who's KL?

Who's KL?

Whoops! Sorry, KS. was thinking of the last half of his surname. a bit tired here.

How does someone kill people, then spend time with friends acting 'normal'?? I really do not get it.

That alone is 'weird'. No conscience? Just forget about it? I fret over parking tickets or not finding my credit card. Never mind harming/killing someone!

Esp. once your pictures have been on tv!!!

Whoops! Sorry, KS. was thinking of the last half of his surname. a bit tired here.

How does someone kill people, then spend time with friends acting 'normal'?? I really do not get it.

That alone is 'weird'. No conscience? Just forget about it? I fret over parking tickets or not finding my credit card. Never mind harming/killing someone!

A psychopath would. Someone devoid of a conscience. Unable to feel. Unreactive.

I'm speaking generally, but friends of KS have shared... things... on other platforms. My understanding is I can't say more about them in this thread.

I agree, but I think it can also be awkward for women when the guy tries so hard to appear 'nice', no one feels comfortable rejecting a nice guy. That's probably why they try so hard to be nice, they're desperate to avoid rejection and many people can sense that.

It's also awkward because nothing is out in the open, enabling a friendly and frank discussion. If a guy is trying to stealthily seduce women, never coming out and openly making a proposition, it's awkward for the women, and his friends, to find the right words to give him feedback, without themselves feeling like jerks. And who knows, maybe Tess was giving him feedback.

I agree, but I think it can also be awkward for women when the guy tries so hard to appear 'nice', no one feels comfortable rejecting a nice guy. That's probably why they try so hard to be nice, they're desperate to avoid rejection and many people can sense that.

It's also awkward because nothing is out in the open, enabling a friendly and frank discussion. If a guy is trying to stealthily seduce women, never coming out and openly making a proposition, it's awkward for the women, and his friends, to find the right words to give him feedback, without themselves feeling like jerks. And who knows, maybe Tess was giving him feedback.

I think the thing is that his behaviour was appalling, but for the most part unfortunately not far enough outside the range of what is considered "acceptable" from awkward young men to ring alarm bells.

I know we've (particularly dudes) got a lot of work to do on changing that.

I don't know how many murder cases are on this forum, hundreds of thousands. Most second-degree murders don't even get picked up here, because the victim was found right away, and never reported missing.

What I have learned from following for several years is that, sadly, many people have the capacity for violence under certain circumstances. Also, many people have powerful survival instincts to protect themselves from harm, ie being caught.

[Humans are] the only animal that laughs and weeps; for they are the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to be. ~William Hazlitt

I'm a woman. This was mostly a message for men, to be honest, since intervening and saying no can sometimes have the same result for women.

Often when people are revealed to be serial harassers and abusers it's followed by a lot of people saying they knew but didn't say anything. Think of Jian Ghomeshi for example and even recently, Harvey Weinstein. There's nothing heroic about saying after the fact that you observed it all. We need to teach people to stand up to people like this and intervene.

I've been assaulted by so-called nice guys. I have no trouble rejecting them now, or intervening. But unless something changes many more women will be hurt by these nice guys who are stealthy misogynists.

I'm a woman. This was mostly a message for men, to be honest, since intervening and saying no can sometimes have the same result for women.

Often when people are revealed to be serial harassers and abusers it's followed by a lot of people saying they knew but didn't say anything. Think of Jian Ghomeshi for example and even recently, Harvey Weinstein. There's nothing heroic about saying after the fact that you observed it all. We need to teach people to stand up to people like this and intervene.

I've been assaulted by so-called nice guys. I have no trouble rejecting them now, or intervening. But unless something changes many more women will be hurt by these nice guys who are stealthy misogynists.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I could not agree more!!

Except he'll have wrecked his family, spent his best years cowtowing to other prisoners and prison officials, will continue to be under conditions of parole for the rest of his life, find it impossible to get a decent job, and be shunned by most people that find out about it. If he can be law-abiding in the community after that, what does additional punishment accomplish? Doesn't bring Tess back.
I suspect anyone who knew Tess might feel differently.

Additionally, the man arbitrarily decided to strangle a woman to death. Just straight up murder, opportunistic. I won't feel too great the day he gets parole and is back on the streets.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slafrance74
Back