GUILTY Canada - Tess Richey, 22, Toronto, 25 Nov 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm sorry...I missed the posts about how KS 'scrubbed' the internet of his presence. What did he do? Did he delete his social media profiles?
Thanks!

Yes. it is rare for someone his age to not be all over social media. When his name was released there was nothing to be found.

I'm sorry...I missed the posts about how KS 'scrubbed' the internet of his presence. What did he do? Did he delete his social media profiles?
Thanks!

This tells me he knew he was in trouble and his arrest was coming. Why else would he delete all his social media?

MOO

This tells me he knew he was in trouble and his arrest was coming. Why else would he delete all his social media?

MOO
I for sure think that when he saw his image out there as a POI he got spooked and eventually went offline. Maybe not right away, as some friends have mentioned they chatted to him online recently, but eventually he did.

So if he had the wherewithal to do all this, to essentially 'erase' himself from the world wide web, (little does he know he can always be found), then that means, that they can't necessarily use the mental health card for this either (NCR). He was aware that his actions where criminal in nature, thus taking the necessary steps to ensure that it would be difficult for him to be found onlinet, or to buy him time before he did get caught, and there's no (appearance of) remorse since he didn't turn himself in.

Just my thoughts, opinion.

So if he had the wherewithal to do all this, to essentially 'erase' himself from the world wide web, (little does he know he can always be found), then that means, that they can't necessarily use the mental health card for this either (NCR). He was aware that his actions where criminal in nature, thus taking the necessary steps to ensure that it would be difficult for him to be found onlinet, or to buy him time before he did get caught, and there's no (appearance of) remorse since he didn't turn himself in.

It would definitely be a factor at trial. I do wonder whether his social media presence was erased between arrest and police presser with the help of a lawyer though to make sure the press only had his "heroic" act to run with. It just seems so thorough.

It would definitely be a factor at trial. I do wonder whether his social media presence was erased between arrest and police presser with the help of a lawyer though to make sure the press only had his "heroic" act to run with. It just seems so thorough.

Definitely makes you wonder because it *definitely* appears that way, however as I mentioned in a previous post this "heroic" act, the wording of it, is quite peculiar.

I'm sure we will be quite surprised at the findings during the trial. And if we aren't surprised, we will most definitely be bang on in our assumptions of him IMHO.

I really wish I had taken a screenshot when a profile with his name briefly popped up again Monday.

Literally EVERY. SINGLE. ARREST. on Websleuths has people speculating about defendants using the insanity defense, when in reality it's used extremely rarely, and even more rarely with success. I don't know why people are so obsessed with this issue, when, as you pointed out, simple actions such as changing social media accounts easily prove there is no mental incapacity.

Literally EVERY. SINGLE. ARREST. on Websleuths has people speculating about defendants using the insanity defense, when in reality it's used extremely rarely, and even more rarely with success. I don't know why people are so obsessed with this issue, when, as you pointed out, simple actions such as changing social media accounts easily prove there is no mental incapacity.
Seems like he was a perfectly functioning individual to me.

Suggestions of this nature make me uncomfortable also, for a variety of reasons. First of all, someone with a mental illness is far more likely to be the victim of a crime rather than a perpetrator. Or even a victim of themselves if you get what I mean. I feel like it invalidates those who live with a mental illness and are vulnerable to such things. Then, it invalidates those who are actually so extensively ill with the most complex diagnoses, who are actually NCR.

The whole conversation makes me uncomfortable. I hate even discussing it or entertaining it in a case like this. He arbitrarily strangled Tess to death and went on to live his life for the next 3 months. We feel that pain, and we feel that violence. We stand with her and her loved ones.

I know folks want to understand how someone could possibly do this, but he just...did. Disturbed? Yes. Mentally ill/NCR? Not so much. JMO.

I think because, in those rare cases, we hold onto them, and we can't seem to let go of the fact, that ALTHOUGH RARE, there is a very small possibility of it happening, but it's SO so so small. (Think Rohinie Bisesar, Vince Li) - both are schizophrenic (diagnosed), and have murdered someone. I have a feeling that Rohinie will never be tried. Rehabilitation for the rest of her life? Perhaps, but prosecuted, and jailed? Not so sure.

I get that its an uncomfortable topic, and it definitely would make for an uncomfortable topic, because it stigmatizes mental illness to the nth degree.

KS is as guilty as sin, at best he's a narcissistic human being with no regard for life.

I can't wait for the trial to unfold. I hope he gets life.

I live downtown in Toronto, and I walked by that location where Tess was found, there is no way you could see if anyone was there unless you walked down the ally. Its pretty spooky and really scared me when this happened. The guy who they found and believe is responsible doesn't look like your typical criminal and he's really young. I doubt he had some mental disorder as schizophrenic people don't just murder people, that's a big misconception. Most just wonder around saying weird things. I see some hanging around CAMH downtown. What's so freaky is this guy just continued on with his life as if nothing happened and if something was accidental he could have called the police, instead he just leaves her there and walks away. That's really terrible to me. And I don't care how heroic he was that doesn't mean there wasn't a bad side to his personalty. How knows what happened to cause this, but I hope Tess's family finds justice for what his guy did.

I live downtown in Toronto, and I walked by that location where Tess was found, there is no way you could see if anyone was there unless you walked down the ally. Its pretty spooky and really scared me when this happened. The guy who they found and believe is responsible doesn't look like your typical criminal and he's really young. I doubt he had some mental disorder as schizophrenic people don't just murder people, that's a big misconception. Most just wonder around saying weird things. I see some hanging around CAMH downtown. What's so freaky is this guy just continued on with his life as if nothing happened and if something was accidental he could have called the police, instead he just leaves her there and walks away. That's really terrible to me. And I don't care how heroic he was that doesn't mean there wasn't a bad side to his personalty. How knows what happened to cause this, but I hope Tess's family finds justice for what his guy did.
Welcome to Ws Lavenderrose, thanks for the great post!
:welcome:

KS is as guilty as sin, at best he's a narcissistic human being with no regard for life.

I can't wait for the trial to unfold. I hope he gets life.

I've been avoiding this whole thread, but I have a question for all of you so absolutely convinced not only of his guilt, but also that he is the devil incarnate. Were it not for two things, would you feel so strongly? The first is TPS' failure to pursue the victim's disappearance adequately, and her poor mother's role in finding her body. The second is the temporal and geographic proximity of this crime to the whole Bruce McArthur horror, and the extent to which our outrage spills over to other, entirely coincidental crimes.

I've been avoiding this whole thread, but I have a question for all of you so absolutely convinced not only of his guilt, but also that he is the devil incarnate. Were it not for two things, would you feel so strongly? The first is TPS' failure to pursue the victim's disappearance adequately, and her poor mother's role in finding her body. The second is the temporal and geographic proximity of this crime to the whole Bruce McArthur horror, and the extent to which our outrage spills over to other, entirely coincidental crimes.
For me, those two points have nothing to do with KS. I have faith that TPS has the right guy. They need sufficient evidence to even lay the charge of second degree murder. His arbitrary act of violence towards poor Tess is extremely upsetting. What he took is irreplaceable, and her family and friends are in immeasurable pain.

Tess was murdered before BM was arrested and before it was even confirmed that there was a serial killer. The M.O. was totally different here and the majority of people didn't believe at all that these were related incidents (neither here on WS nor elsewhere). Tess' murder brought me to this website. I did feel that her disappearance was treated poorly by TPS and media.

I feel strongly because I'm a bisexual woman who used to escape to the Village to spend time when I was closeted. It's a neighbourhood that means something to me. I feel strongly about the community in which there have been a number of failures of procedure on the part of TPS, and because that could have been ANY woman who spends time in the Village, not just Tess. That could have been me. Could have been my friends. I take it personally when monsters are preying upon people in a place where they might have their guard down because they feel like it's safe - exactly how I felt about the Village when I was Tess' age. Tess Richey was strangled to death in a stairwell where no one else is seen entering after Kalen Schlatter leaves it, according to TPS. Tess Richey will never reach my age and develop the feelings and opinions I have about the neighbourhood.

Anyone who snuffs out an innocent life is the devil incarnate.

If TPS had not said that they don't see anyone entering the stairwell, and that Tess was dead before Schlatter left it, then I would reserve judgement. They must have had some reason to arrest him. My big question is where was Tess' coat? Her mother said she was found without a coat, but I think her sister said she left her house to go out while still wearing a coat. I begin to wonder if they found it, and if he had it. (Speculation). They had to have some good reason to arrest him. DNA? He'd been on their radar since December. They waited. You don't just take a strangling lying down. Maybe she defended herself. DNA tests don't take an hour. They had enough for an arrest warrant. TPS is convinced he may be guilty of murder too. Of course they don't make the final decisions but that's the basis on which they arrest people. They don't do it because they think it might be a fun adventure.

I have a question for you. Why do you have such a problem with our anger?

Tess was murdered before BM was arrested and before it was even confirmed that there was a serial killer. The M.O. was totally different here and the majority of people didn't believe at all that these were related incidents (neither here on WS nor elsewhere). Tess' murder brought me to this website. I did feel that her disappearance was treated poorly by TPS and media.

I feel strongly because I'm a bisexual woman who used to escape to the Village to spend time when I was closeted. It's a neighbourhood that means something to me. I feel strongly about the community in which there have been a number of failures of procedure on the part of TPS, and because that could have been ANY woman who spends time in the Village, not just Tess. That could have been me. Could have been my friends. I take it personally when monsters are preying upon people in a place where they might have their guard down because they feel like it's safe - exactly how I felt about the Village when I was Tess' age. Tess Richey was strangled to death in a stairwell where no one else is seen entering after Kalen Schlatter leaves it, according to TPS. Tess Richey will never reach my age and develop the feelings and opinions I have about the neighbourhood.

Anyone who snuffs out an innocent life is the devil incarnate.

Thank you for giving voice to my anger better than I could have.

The fact is, if Kalen Schlatter did this (and I am confident he did based on everything I know) it's not just that he murdered Tess, which would be more than enough to think him monstrous.

It's that he left her there for DAYS when her family was publicly panicking and looking for her. He left her to be found by her mother. He made it so that her mother will have to see flashes of her daughter's dead body in that stairwell in her mind's eye for the rest of her life. He left the family without any answers for more than 2 months.

He made it so that every time my girlfriend or my friends went out at night in our neighbourhood or wanted to go out to a drag club, they had to be afraid and I had to be afraid for them because a guy who strangled a woman with his bare hands was still walking around.

It is so completely glib to attempt to minimize all these things and I'd love if nuff could tell us what they think would be a more appropriate way to feel about someone who did them. As it is, I don't think nuff has appropriately considered the reality of the situation.

My big question is where was Tess' coat? Her mother said she was found without a coat, but I think her sister said she left her house to go out while still wearing a coat. I begin to wonder if they found it, and if he had it. (Speculation).

Just speculation, but in descriptions of the ATM footage at Church & Wellesley they describe Tess as not wearing her coat but carrying it. The only confirmation I've seen that she didn't have her coat when found was her mother saying that now she prefers to imagine her wearing it and more protected. I think her coat was probably with her body at the stairwell, but just not on her. If it had been missing entirely, I imagine that would have raised more alarm initially when she was found and prevented the "misadventure" assessment.

I'm still very confused. I don't think I've ever been asked before on WS (or anywhere for that matter) why I'm appalled by a heinous murder.

I would definitely feel strongly. Why wouldn't I? TPS advised that he walked out alone and Tess didn't come out with him from the alley. What more do I need to be convinced of? BM's murder spree has absolutely nothing to do with this and it has been proven as such. So I'm not exactly sure where you are going with this. Sorry, but I don't.

Just speculation, but in descriptions of the ATM footage at Church & Wellesley they describe Tess as not wearing her coat but carrying it. The only confirmation I've seen that she didn't have her coat when found was her mother saying that now she prefers to imagine her wearing it and more protected. I think her coat was probably with her body at the stairwell, but just not on her. If it had been missing entirely, I imagine that would have raised more alarm initially when she was found and prevented the "misadventure" assessment.

Oh, this makes sense... and is a little less distressing (if that can even be said in this case). Thank you.

...not exactly sure where you are going with this. Sorry, but I don't.

The poster, nuff, is not linking the cases by way of facts but pointing out that public outrage and sentimentality is linked in the minds of the public. Some news articles talk of both cases simultaneously. Having such cases happen so close together in time and proximity has fueled heightened emotions - from what I gather, WS not only has a very strong stance against victim blaming, but hold that perpetrators of crime are extended a certain amount of respect as well. That was what I read from the post where nuff points that out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moondashiie
Back