CANADA Canada - Toronto Crimes Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, a more experienced poster than me! Lol.

It seems to me that these posts go in no particular order, but I wasn't sure.

Someone mentioned the murder of Christopher Skinner earlier.

I loathe bullies and thugs, and this murder was horrible. There's something about being totally innocent and going out for a night of fun, then being set upon by people like this.

Let's help his family out.

I found a Twitter account that his sister is running. Thought it would be a useful post.

https://twitter.com/Findchriskiller

1. By far the best chance of solving this is of course for someone in the SUV to come forward out of conscience/and or for the reward. 150,000 is a much better reward hopefully it will help.

2. Can anyone estimate how fast the SUV is going as it passes him? Seems to be travelling faster and also seems to come much closer to him than other cars - I am wondering if anyone in the car could really detect a hand touching the car at that speed also shouldn't there be some reaction of pain from Chris however momentary? Hard to see of course though.

3. With a bit of searching on Youtube you will quickly see the claim connected people who held the vigil for him that it is a targeted gay-bashing killing. If so it would be likely someone who at least knew about the party for his sister (?). How could they possibly know he was gay o/w? It is great you bumped this Darkblue I had thought he was coming from a club. The fact that it was from his sister's party confuses me since I doubt the general consensus that it was a hand touching the car.

4. Clutching at straws here but am wondering about the (possible) pedestrian top left of screen and how his presence coincides with the SUV passing Chris.

5. I think there is a problem in Toronto with media and LE tending to downplay the possibility of racial, misogynistic, gay-bashing motives. That just for context. (Though if I understand correctly the family agrees with the car/contact theory as the best "motive" for their anger.)

The video available from an office is the Purolator building on Adelaide East so it is possible that the figure I see left top hand of screen might be at Ching Lane (dead end) and Adelaide East.

Video of the car shows it passing around 2:52 a.m. Bay and Adelaide West it the timer on the Purolator tape shows around the same time though police believe I think that the crime occurred just after 3:00 and the timer on the Purolator tape is slow.

It would not take 9 or 10 minutes to travel that distance there is no traffic on the Bay and Adelaide shot.

So slight possibility they circled, following him (?).

This is important of course since a dispute over a touched car would probably be second degree murder gay bashing or planned for some other reason first degree.

Somehow I don't think "touching" the car resulted in the brutality against C.. wouldn't that be embarrassing for a group of "tough, macho guys" to respond so strongly to such trivial "provocation"?
Unless of course, they thought he was trying to be "picked up," in which case- they had to "prove" they don't "roll" that way and perhaps for good measure and in great show of heterosexuality, beat and ran over the mere possibility...imo

LE are about to release new details (an arrest?) in this sex assault cold-case.
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/21280.pdf

"It is alleged that:
− on November 10, 1993, at 12:30 a.m., a 19−year−old woman was walking along Dundas
Street East near Poulette Street,
− a man approached her with a knife and led her onto Poulette Street, where he pulled her
under a parked tractor trailer and sexually assaulted her,
− she was also robbed of her knapsack containing her wallet and school books.
A composite sketch was released of the suspect.
It is further alleged that:
− on July 3, 1994, at 2:55 a.m., a man climbed up to a second−storey apartment in the Queen
Street West/Bathurst Street area,
− the man sexually assaulted a 46−year−old woman at knife point and robbed her of her
purse,
Forensic evidence in both investigations has conclusively shown that the same man is
responsible for both crimes.
A $50,000 reward has been authorized for evidence leading to the identification, arrest or
conviction of the person responsible for these sexual assaults.
A series of aged composite sketches of the suspect have also been released"

"Details of Investigation
The following are the circumstances surrounding the death of Harrison Yiga.

The deceased in this matter was 20 years old at the time of his death and is survived by a brother, sister, mother and father. He was born in Uganda, immigrating to Canada in 1992 and becoming a Canadian Citizen in 1997. He was an automotive student at Centennial College.

On Monday December 20th, 2004 at 6:00 pm the deceased was in company with at least one other male, on the 5th floor of the apartment building at 100 Leeward Glenway. This address is in the Don Mills Road and Overlea Blvd area of Toronto.

Witnesses have reported to police that at approximately 6:00 pm two males were heard arguing in the hallway and then a series of gunshots. A male was last seen running north along the 5th floor hallway and into the stairwell.

The first officers to arrive found the lifeless body of the Harrison Yiga, face down at the elevator area.

The deceased was pronounced dead through attending Emergency Medical Personnel."

From Toronto police website. There was a cluster of murders of "nice boys" in Toronto around this date, the motive mysterious to LE and as far as we know anyone else. Just documenting no idea what anyone could do with this to help. As far as I could tell minimal apparent attention from LE I don't remember a photo at the time though I could be wrong. I think several of the them including this young man were good athletes. It is interesting that is is up on the unsolved page on Homicide now for a long time there was nothing on this case and many other cases. The other I remember vaguely occured on a bridge on the edge of Rosedale can't remember details or whether it was solved.

Excellent work by TPS and the RCMP.

Shows why working away at Cold Cases pays dividends.

The unsolved slayings of Dylan Ellis and Oliver Martin in 2008 were also horrific, and odd due to the complete lack of an obvious motive.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/case/84

The conundrum is that an apparent chance event (the accidental taking of keys and the need to return them so that nobody could have expected them to arrive back at the friend's place) is not in synch with the arrival of the "executioner" outside the friend's shooting I believe 19 rounds.

There is a gap which makes no sense. Unless it is a completely random crime which I doubt.

Do we know for sure who had the keys?

Are there witnesses apart from the female passenger in the back seat?

Using Google street view: I understand that the camera view through the office is from Purolator south side it is easy to spot on street view since there is a big Purolator truck parked outside. So I assume the assault happened on the sidewalk and street adjacent to the park on the south side of Adelaide East (?).

My question: are those cameras or lights mounted on the walls of Purolator and also Red Seal Notary (one building east on the other side of the park?)

If cameras were they there three years ago? How about 20 Adelaide East the north side no cameras? I would expect some of those buildings to have cameras mounted on the top of the buildings as well pointing down?

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/07/cops-to-exhume-teens-body
"TORONTO - A teenage boy’s questionable suicide in 1992, two years before his older sister’s mangled remains were found in a burning suitcase, is now the subject of a Toronto Police cold case investigation.

Det.-Sgt. Steve Ryan revealed Monday the remains of Dwayne Biddersingh will be dug up more than two decades after the 15-year-old plunged to his death at a Parkdale highrise.

“We don’t want to miss anything,” said Ryan. “So in the name of thoroughness, we’ve arranged to have Dwayne’s body exhumed at the end of the month.”

Investigators have ruled the boy’s tumble from the balcony of his family’s 22nd-floor apartment on Close Ave. a suicide, but Ryan wants to take a fresh look at the teen’s death in light of how his older sister met her demise"

A few thoughts:

1. Motive. I would keep in mind a gay-bashing as a possible motive, although I don't believe this is the case. If it was, then it would be highly opportunistic. He was not attacked in the gay quarter of the city, which would indicate people deliberately stalking members of the gay/trans community.

Also, there does not seem to be evidence of any interaction between the people in the SUV and Mr. Skinner prior to the homicide (i.e. catcalls, yelling). I saw some footage of him on security cameras, on one news website, and all I saw was a trendily dressed young guy. Nothing really standing out that would stereotype him to some as gay.

It may have been the case that the attackers may have driven too close to him, and perhaps he pounded on the hood or roof of the vehicle, enraging the occupants. My understanding is that there was construction on the sidewalk at this time, and he may have been walking at the side of the road.

2. The attackers.

Given the general area and direction of travel, I would suggest that these people were likely leaving the club district, and travelling through the financial district, likely to the DVP.

No original insights on my part here; it just seems obvious, and the police seem to believe that due to the distance east that they collected footage.

One attacker was seen wearing a black tank top.

The manner of dress suggests a "clubber", likely hot from dancing and perhaps drinking and possibly using drugs that night. A bit of armchair profiling, I know.

However, I've hit the clubs in the somewhat recent past, and I can attest to some of the nasty, antisocial personalities that are there. These people take all of the fun out of going out, and make the entertainment district in Toronto quite dangerous. I'm suggesting that Chris Skinner ran into people like these.

I wonder if the beat cops in the club district were asked to keep an eye out for a similar SUV in case it returned some other evening.

3. Back Seat Passengers

The way I understand it, there were two individuals who inflicted the attack, and one or the other who drove over C Skinner.

I'm going to suggest that perhaps the back seat passengers; (I'm making an assumption here, I don't know what combination got out and who stayed in.), were dates or girlfriends of the suspects. Meaning, of course the one or two other people the police suspect were in the SUV

They may have been males, too, but I suspect that they were female, and thus terrified of the suspects.

Perhaps it would be useful for police to craft an appeal targeted to that possiblity, as it explains the silence on the part of the non-participants of the assaults. JMHO.

Sorry for the lack of brevity of this post.

The conundrum is that an apparent chance event (the accidental taking of keys and the need to return them so that nobody could have expected them to arrive back at the friend's place) is not in synch with the arrival of the "executioner" outside the friend's shooting I believe 19 rounds.

There is a gap which makes no sense. Unless it is a completely random crime which I doubt.

Do we know for sure who had the keys?

Are there witnesses apart from the female passenger in the back seat?

Excellent questions. I am assuming that it was Dylan Ellis who had the keys. If the news reports are correct, it was his SUV, and he left to pick up dinner at a local restaurant earlier on. I am assuming he drove, but I may be wrong.

I am somewhat familiar with the area, and I think the restaurant he went to was quite a walk away.

Chorley 8, could you elaborate on what you mean by the two events being "out of synch".

Thx.

Chorley 8, could you elaborate on what you mean by the two events being "out of synch".

Thx.[/QUOTE

It appears to be an execution no words of warning 19 rounds moving from side then to front of car.

Yet nobody could know they would take the keys, return with the keys, basically be there at that moment. It seems planned but can't be planned.

Odd that the witness didn't get a scratch. Their identity is private so it would seem LE are far from certain it was not planned.

It's very curious that the witness in the back seat was unscathed in the shooting - though it would depend on how many shots came from the side and how many from the front. I would assume all or most of the 19 shots would have entered the car it was at so close range.

They were still buckled into their seats when police arrived? No attempt at first aid however futile? I would just imagine myself unbuckling the person if I was trying to help or if it was a friend.

Detective Giroux now thinks it is possibly mistaken identity at first he surmised car-jacking. I am not sure why "gang initiation" is tossed around so lightly - there are a lot of people in gangs and the streets would be littered with the random dead if it was so common.

It's very curious that the witness in the back seat was unscathed in the shooting - though it would depend on how many shots came from the side and how many from the front. I would assume all or most of the 19 shots would have entered the car it was at so close range.

They were still buckled into their seats when police arrived? No attempt at first aid however futile? I would just imagine myself unbuckling the person if I was trying to help or if it was a friend.

Detective Giroux now thinks it is possibly mistaken identity at first he surmised car-jacking. I am not sure why "gang initiation" is tossed around so lightly - there are a lot of people in gangs and the streets would be littered with the random dead if it was so common.

Your last point makes lots of sense, Chorley8. I think such gang initiations have happened, but they are extreme outliers. Generally gang initiations, when they happen, occur with "teeny-bopper" gangs and involve stealing, etc. Not killing.

I think Det.Sgt. Giroux has moved away from mistaken identity, as the gunman was close enough to see the two men.

I'm not an expert, but 19 rounds seems like rather a lot, and would rely on more than one shooter, reloading at least once, or an extended magazine on a semi-auto pistol (assuming one was used here). JMHO.

Dark blue maybe you know something about guns (?) - in the photo in the attachment below would you know if that kind of guns emits "casings" - or not? Thanks in advance.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/case/3

As far as I know, yes.

I know a bit about firearms. Growing up in a military family. =-)

That calibre of gun was standard issue for various police services (.38 calibre) for many years.

I don't know what if any in Ontario used the Colt brand.

As I said, I am far from a final authority, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Firearms are fairly technical, so I would do some research online or ask an expert.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BG89
Back