CANADA Canada - Toronto Crimes Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/07/cops-to-exhume-teens-body
"TORONTO - A teenage boy’s questionable suicide in 1992, two years before his older sister’s mangled remains were found in a burning suitcase, is now the subject of a Toronto Police cold case investigation.

Det.-Sgt. Steve Ryan revealed Monday the remains of Dwayne Biddersingh will be dug up more than two decades after the 15-year-old plunged to his death at a Parkdale highrise.

“We don’t want to miss anything,” said Ryan. “So in the name of thoroughness, we’ve arranged to have Dwayne’s body exhumed at the end of the month.”

Investigators have ruled the boy’s tumble from the balcony of his family’s 22nd-floor apartment on Close Ave. a suicide, but Ryan wants to take a fresh look at the teen’s death in light of how his older sister met her demise"

Very interesting in its own right and who knows possibly of some relevance to the Mariam Makhniashvili case and the case on Walmer Road, the "suicide" of the son of the Ottawa doctor.

In Mariam's case several posters have wondered just what they can determine re injuries pre or post mortem and how they can determine whether someone jumped, is thrown, dropped say drugged, placed at a later date with injuries sustained elsewhere etc. All very murky.

"I think Det.Sgt. Giroux has moved away from mistaken identity, as the gunman was close enough to see the two men". (DarkBlue)

Though if a hired killer - possible to make a mistake still perhaps.

Do you know what his present thinking of Giroux is assuming he is the lead detective?

And quoting D.B. again:

"I'm not an expert, but 19 rounds seems like rather a lot, and would rely on more than one shooter, reloading at least once, or an extended magazine on a semi-auto pistol (assuming one was used here). JMHO. "

Very interesting indeed. Though I guess LE would know if more than one gun was used? Certainly the witness, at night, could have thought two gunmen side and front was one gunman moving from side to front.

I double-checked a few archived news reports.

The police believe there was one shooter. I think there were less than 19 rounds. There seem to have been between 3 and 8 rounds fired.

The police are not discounting that there could have been more than one involved person present at the scene even, but one triggerman only.

OK sorry for that erroneous info then, did read it but.... what you say here does make better sense.

Could the flash or " glimmer" of the camera/phone be mistaken by the perp for a weapon/badge ?Did he think they were laughing at him or trying to take his picture?
What kind of person hangs around on a bike in the dark with a gun?
Any chance it was a crazy kid?

No need to apologize...I think that early reports on the case mentioned several evidence markers on the street...of course meaning shell casings, but also meaning variious other discarded objects noted by forensics officers.

The news was always vague about rounds discharged.

"Could the flash or " glimmer" of the camera/phone be mistaken by the perp for a weapon/badge ?Did he think they were laughing at him or trying to take his picture?
What kind of person hangs around on a bike in the dark with a gun?
Any chance it was a crazy kid?" ..Quote by dotr.

All possible scenarios, but we just don't know.

Some people are "set off" by the least little thing, and I think that's
what Sgt. Giroux was driving at. It would make no sense to you and me but something to the gunman.

Questionable whether the gunman was on a bike or not. There were people in the area, but most fled upon the gunshots, leaving few eyewitnesses.

I think there is a danger to LE focusing on those kinds of random scenarios. It could be random but it sort of encourages everyone to stop thinking. Still worth inquiring whether the crime had more meaning than that.

I think there is a danger to LE focusing on those kinds of random scenarios. It could be random but it sort of encourages everyone to stop thinking. Still worth inquiring whether the crime had more meaning than that.

I agree.

The meaning is likely very well hidden if there is such an underlying reason, but it doesn't mean that it is non-existent.

I would expect that someone cut off in traffic, or angered by an expression or gesture like a "flip off" would say something.

Wordlessly shooting two individuals is odd. JMHO.

Found some extra info. written about murdered Welsh nanny, Christine Prince..thinking that Yorkville obviously very close to Yonge /Bloor- could it be same perp as Tice and Gilmore?
http://www.defrostingcoldcases.com/guest-post-the-murder-of-christine-prince/

Christine Prince, 25, was a young woman from Wales working as a nanny in Toronto in 1982. On a hot June Sunday night, June 20th, she and a friend went to a movie at Yonge and Bloor, in the heart of Toronto."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/293267#ixzz2IBM1YFju"

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/293267
"Christine's body was discovered in the West Rouge River near Sewell's Road 30 kilometers from her home. Witnesses alerted police about a nude body in the water. An autopsy revealed that she had drowned but there were blows to her head also. Christine's head, face and body were also bruised and cut.
Christine was not the only woman murdered in 1982. That year in Toronto seven women would turn up dead in the city. Christine was the second, just a month after Jenny Isford, 19, was discovered on a lawn in her own neighbourhood raped and strangled. Stories of the deaths hit the press. Articles ran about violence against women. Stories had women being afraid and demanding answers from the police.
Christine was 5'3" and weighed 126 pounds. She looked like the Welsh girl she was with fair skin and rosy cheeks, light brown hair and blue eyes. When she disappeared she was dressed tastefully in a cream coloured sweater and light blue dress pants carrying a brown leather shoulder bag and multicoloured umbrella.
How did Christine get 20 kilometers Sunday evening?"

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/293267#ixzz2IBLdRCu4

I recall the Isford case being solved sometime in the early 90's, with the perp getting a life sentence.

The Prince case is not connected to it, to the best of my knowledge, unless the police did not cross-reference DNA, or DNA was not available, either scenario being difficult to believe.

Also, I would expect that whoever was responsible for this had at least a passing knowledge of the Rouge Valley area.

It's isolated, and was perhaps more so in 1982, but it is close enough to the city for someone not looking to go too far into the bush, but be able to have an isolated location for their crime.

A couple of thoughts.

First, thanks to CrimeSolver for all the hard work and postings of the Cold Cases. Informative reading, and much appreciated.

Also, I had read this thread a while before I joined, and had forgotten that Ellis/Martin had been covered there before, so sorry for starting as if they had never been discussed.

R.I.P. to all victims; we're trying hard to keep them from fading from view.

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Toronto_cold_cases-10885.aspx

"Two years after the murder of Christopher Skinner, Toronto police have yet to find his killers, keeping the case on a growing list of cold cases affecting the city’s queer community.

Meanwhile, Statistics Canada has reported increases in gay-related hate crimes. In 2008, the agency found such crimes had more than doubled from the previous year, stating, however, that the rise could be due to better reporting.

Countless hate crimes also continue to go unreported, it noted.

While many hate crimes are undocumented, many murders involving members of Toronto’s queer community have gone unsolved.

Probably the most well known is the murder of Skinner, who was beaten and run over by an SUV on the way home from his sister’s birthday party two years ago, on Oct 18, 2009.

Convicted serial killer linked to unsolved Ontario murders

"Christopher Skinner was murdered two years ago on Oct 18, 2009. The murder remains unsolved.

The most recent case involves University of Toronto accountant Allan Lanteigne, who was found bludgeoned to death in his Ossington Ave home on March 4.

The murder was reminiscent of another unsolved case from Jan 18, 2001, that of David Buller, a University of Toronto professor who was murdered in his office in the Visual Studies department.

Police say they have compared notes on the two cases and Inspector Ken Taylor, one of the original investigators of Buller’s homicide, tells Xtra he often wakes up in the middle of the night thinking about the Buller case"

Buller: for some reason I have no ideas. Anyone?

Bumping this almost invisible case:

"●On Tuesday, October 2nd, 1990, 23-year-old Mabel Wong was last seen by her family as she left their Bexley Cres. home at 10 p.m. On October 12th, Wong's Toyota Tercel was found abandoned in a parking lot at 1550 Jane St., roughly 1.5 km north of her home.
Although no trace of Wong was ever found, police felt foul play was involved, as Wong was a responsible young woman not given to rash, unpredictable conduct. In the weeks before her disappearance, she had complained to a co-worker at a Bathurst St. restaurant supply store that she was being followed. "

Anyone know anything? Again, any ideas at all? I wonder what restaurant supply store do they mean Bathurst and College?

Buller: for some reason I have no ideas. Anyone?

Bumping this almost invisible case:

"●On Tuesday, October 2nd, 1990, 23-year-old Mabel Wong was last seen by her family as she left their Bexley Cres. home at 10 p.m. On October 12th, Wong's Toyota Tercel was found abandoned in a parking lot at 1550 Jane St., roughly 1.5 km north of her home.
Although no trace of Wong was ever found, police felt foul play was involved, as Wong was a responsible young woman not given to rash, unpredictable conduct. In the weeks before her disappearance, she had complained to a co-worker at a Bathurst St. restaurant supply store that she was being followed. "

Anyone know anything? Again, any ideas at all? I wonder what restaurant supply store do they mean Bathurst and College?[/QUO

Never heard about that case at all, but would not be surprised if Crimesolver already has this case listed.. going to look for links for this one, wondering if MW thought she was being followed near where she worked or near home?

Good catch, dotr.

I've read about this case, although it is far more obscure than it deserves to be.

You can find old details in the Star archives.

This young woman went out, and was never heard from again, her car being found in a plaza nearby.

- The area she lived in was not the greatest, although in cases like this random street crime is an easy excuse.

The intriguing thing is that she claimed that she was being followed or pestered by an unidentified male. I have no idea what happened to those leads, or if the police followed them up.

It's highly suspicious that she was getting repeatedly bothered by a male, and then went missing, IMHO.

Another thing that struck me.

Asian organized crime was hot in Toronto in the early 90's.

She was a bookkeeper, and perhaps noticed some irregularities in accounting
at the supply store, and spoke up, angering someone?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadiew85
Back