CANADA Canada - Toronto Crimes Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Back in 1999, you wrote about Sarah Jean Carlin, details below. Sarah Carlin is my Grandmother and I remember this horrible day like it was yesterday. They have never found her killer and have long since stopped looking for him. (although in my heart, we know who it was beyond a shadow of a doubt). I'm wondering where you found this information as I have not found any other reference to her murder on the net, not even in the York Police Cold Case files. Any details you can provide me for points of reference on this would be appreciated as all I have is the original Toronto Star notice with the sketch of the "person of interest". Thanks in advance. For the record, she did not have a considerable amount of money in her home, it was in fact less than $2,000.00 and was not taken by her murder. The money was in an envelope, in plain site, in her room. Her killer for some reason, did not find this envelope, despite slashing her furniture and literally tearing her house apart.

●Sarah Jean Carlin, 78, was found beaten and strangled in her apartment in a seniors' highrise complex in Newmarket, 50 km north of Toronto, on Saturday, August 14th, 1976. She may have lain semiconscious for several hours before dying of a heart attack due to a blow to the head. The elderly woman, who was hard of hearing and had limited mobility, was found lying on her bedroom floor with her mattress and bed on top of her. She was last seen Friday afternoon at 5:30 by neighbours. Her apartment had been ransacked. She was known to be distrustful of banks, and may have had a considerable amount of money stashed in her abode. Additional info on this murder is very hard to come by.
Sorry for the belated reply, Kimberly B, but I was away. I'm so sorry about your loss. It may have been a long time ago, but one never fully heals, I imagine.

All of the cases I profile here I find in newspaper archives of the Toronto Star and the Globe & Mail, which can be accessed for free if you have a Toronto library card. Here's the portal: http://ezproxy.torontopubliclibrary.ca/login?url=http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?ReqType=301
I have no other details on your grandmother's murder. It must have been one of those instances where I found only a single article and no follow-up. Have you tried calling the York Region police for info?

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110716/110716_Charges_Dropped/20110716/?hub=CP24Home
Sat Jul. 16 2011 2:30:06 PM | The Canadian Press

Murder charges dropped against convicted killer
The bodies of Julianne Middleton, 23, Virginia Coote, 33 and Darlene MacNeill, 35, were found near Toronto's Sunnyside Beach between 1994 and 1997.

The Crown withdrew the charges "because there is no longer any reasonable prospect of conviction," Brendan Crawley, a spokesman for the attorney general's office, wrote in an email.

"I understand the police investigation into the murders is ongoing."

Breese Davies, who has been defending MacDonald in the case, said the Crown's decision shows police never should have charged him in the first place.
Yes, I saw this in the paper the other day and was dismayed, but I suppose if there's not enough evidence it's better to withdraw the charges with the hope of finding more evidence than to forge ahead and risk an acquittal.

http://www.thestar.com/article/1046...ective-form-unusual-bond-in-search-for-killer
Rarely has a murder brought a victim’s family and an officer together in such a supportive way for so long."

“We’ve become friends,” said homicide detective Dan Nielsen of Ed George, admitting “it’s a little unusual.”

They also need each other to solve the case because leads have gone cold.

Michael George was shot multiple times around 3:30 a.m. on July 29, 2007, as he stepped from his car at his girlfriend’s Wilcox Creek Pathway townhouse complex in the Morningside Ave. and Finch Ave. E. area. Police said he was targeted.

Surveillance photos caught a silver car speeding away at about the same time.

Michael’s girlfriend, who had heard the rapid-fire shots, ran out to the driveway to find him slumped in the blood-soaked driver’s seat.

Earlier in the evening, Michael had attended a party with Centennial College colleagues. Nothing happened to suggest someone wanted him dead.

He drove a friend home and then returned to spend the night with his girlfriend, with whom he had been staying off and on.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...-assistance-on-one-year-anniversary-of-murder
Family, police seek public assistance on one year anniversary of murder

Amber LeBlanc and 680News staffSep 10, 2011 13:47:58 PM
Spence, 27, was shot and killed on Greenbrae Circuit, in the Lawrence Avenue and Markham Road area last September 10.

Investigators with the Toronto Police Homicide Squad said at today's press conference and memorial that they have reason to believe Spence may have been the wrong target.

"Our investigation to date, indicate that there is a strong possibility that Jahmeel was the wrong person that was murdered," said Staff Insp. Mark Saunders.

Investigators also said that Spence had no previous criminal record, and he was killed on his way home from buying juice for his two young children.

"Please pay attention to anyone that had a light-blue Honda Accord a year ago, that may have altered that Accord since," Saunders said.

This link includes pic. of victim.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...ictim-may-have-been-wrong-target-policePolice Appealing For Tips After Fatal Shooting Last Week

On the one-year anniversary of the murder of Jahmeel Spence, Toronto police are speaking out, saying the young man may not have been the intended target.

The 27-year-old was gunned down in the rear laneway at 30 Greenbrae Circuit, near Sedgemount Drive, in Scarborough around 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 10, 2010.

On Saturday, Spence’s family held a memorial for him at the scene, with police saying he may have been an innocent bystander.

“Our investigation to date indicates that there is a strong possibility that Jahmeel was the wrong person that was murdered,'' said Insp. Mark Saunders.

Police say that at the time of Spence’s death, a man was seen driving away in an older-model, four-door, light-blue Ho"nda Acura but the vehicle may have since been altered in appearance

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/10/02/family-still-wants-justice
Pamela Maragaret Rose Kosmack was a mother of two, a daughter, a sister. She loved and was loved.

But on June 4, 2008, she was found dead near a bike path in Britannia Park near Poulin Ave., just a short walk from her home. Her murder remains unsolved.

Murch was 36 at the time and in the three years since her sister’s death, she’s revisited time and again that very spot where Pam’s body was found beaten and partially naked. She’s been back too many times to remember."

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/10/02/family-still-wants-justice
Pamela Maragaret Rose Kosmack was a mother of two, a daughter, a sister. She loved and was loved.

But on June 4, 2008, she was found dead near a bike path in Britannia Park near Poulin Ave., just a short walk from her home. Her murder remains unsolved.

Murch was 36 at the time and in the three years since her sister’s death, she’s revisited time and again that very spot where Pam’s body was found beaten and partially naked. She’s been back too many times to remember."

I am very sorry, but I have realized that this was the incorrect link for this thread,posted in error as it deals with the Ottawa region.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...rganizing-murder-of-philanthropist-glen-davis
Another man involved in the plot, Jesse Smith, pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact, last year. In March 2010, he told a court he drove Davis' killer to the parking lot, helped him escape and then disposed of the gun afterwards by tossing the weapon in Lake Scugog.

Two other men are also charged with first-degree murder in the case -- Ivgeny Vorobiov and Dmitri Kossyrine.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...ntinue-to-search-for-killer-in-skinner-murder
TORONTO, Ont. - It's the two-year anniversary, Tuesday, of the murder of a 27-year-old Toronto man, and police appear to be no closer to finding his killer.

An appeal for information will be made Tuesday by investigators and members of Christopher Skinner's family.

They'll gather at the scene of the murder at the corner of Adelaide and Victoria streets.

In Oct. 2009, Skinner was walking along Adelaide after a night out. Police said a black SUV pulled up and the occupants got out and beat him, then went back inside the vehicle and ran over him.

There's currently $150,000-reward being offered in the case

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...ntinue-to-search-for-killer-in-skinner-murder
TORONTO, Ont. - It's the two-year anniversary, Tuesday, of the murder of a 27-year-old Toronto man, and police appear to be no closer to finding his killer.

An appeal for information will be made Tuesday by investigators and members of Christopher Skinner's family.

They'll gather at the scene of the murder at the corner of Adelaide and Victoria streets.

In Oct. 2009, Skinner was walking along Adelaide after a night out. Police said a black SUV pulled up and the occupants got out and beat him, then went back inside the vehicle and ran over him.

There's currently $150,000-reward being offered in the case
Thanks. And once again, here's a video still of the suspect SUV:

to-hitrun.jpg

Mon Nov 7 2011
Did serial murderer Gacy kill Canadians?
Richard J. Brennan
According to reports, at least one Canadian family has responded to the sheriff’s invitation to contact his office, along with scores of others from 28 U.S. states.

While Sheriff Tom Dart has yet to contact the OPP, the provincial force is taking the initiative to start an investigation of its own to see what can be turned up between 1972 and 1978.

“We have two different units — the Unsolved Homicide Investigation Team and Missing Persons and Unidentified Bodies Unit. They will both be reviewing our outstanding cases during the interim while we await contact with the U.S. authorities,” OPP Insp. Dave Ross told the Star.

Until then, the question remains whether Gacy continued killing during his unspecified trips to Ontario or whether he lured any young Canadian men back to his Chicago-area home. It has not been revealed where or when he visited the province.

“How, conceivably, can you think of a guy that does these horrific acts, but yet he turns it off when he leaves town?” Dart told NBC News. “Actually, you would think the opposite. He’s leaving town, he’s even more free because people don’t know who he is. He can move around even better.”

http://www.thespec.com/news/ontario/article/621010--did-serial-murderer-gacy-kill-canadians

The string of prostitute murders in Toronto has always interested me. Many of them were found quite close to one another. I get the feeling its a serial killer but nothing has ever come from the investigation.

Case #2: The rape and murder of Lizzie Tomlinson

On Saturday May 24th, 1980, polite, shy 6-year-old Lizzie Tomlinson was playing with friends in a parkette known by neighbourhood kids as “Stinky’s Park” on the southeast corner of Shuter and Sumach Sts in the east of Toronto’s downtown region. At approximately 3:30 p.m. Horrifically, the killer had shoved the stalk of a weed up into her vagina and through her stomach and upper body until it came to rest near her right shoulder. She lived for at least an hour, and possibly for a few hours, after the insertion of the stalk, but was likely unconscious. Since she had been partially buried, police believed the killer had spent quite a bit of time at the scene.

BBM.

HRM. Just how did here killer manage to do that? You'd have though the 'weed' would have bent or broken. I can't imagine how that could have gotten up there all that way! If it ended up by her shoulder, I wonder how it managed to avoid bone? Or did it go thru bone? What. The. Eff. :waitasec:

I didn't realize this thread was moved to a new section.

The string of prostitute murders in Toronto has always interested me. Many of them were found quite close to one another. I get the feeling its a serial killer but nothing has ever come from the investigation.
That's not quite true. Peter Dale MacDonald, 52, was arrested in Oct., 2010 and charged in the deaths of three of the prostitutes, Darlene MacNeill, Julieanne Middleton, and Virginia Coote. Earlier this year, charges were dropped because there was no reasonable chance of conviction.
buffetoflies said:
Just how did here killer manage to do that? You'd have though the 'weed' would have bent or broken. I can't imagine how that could have gotten up there all that way! If it ended up by her shoulder, I wonder how it managed to avoid bone? Or did it go thru bone? What. The. Eff.
I don't know. I'm just going by what is written in the paper. However, if you think of the type of stiff reed one finds in swampy areas, I can imagine that possibly doing the job.

I finally got around to writing up five new summaries, but I'm running out of cases to cover. From now on, I will no longer write about cases from the 1990s onward. Many of those can be read about at the Toronto police website.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]●At about 10 p.m. on July 4th, 1979, 24-year-old Carri Cochrane allowed a man into her apartment on Generation Blvd., in the Hwy 401 and Meadowvale Rd. area, to discuss an ad she had placed to rent a room. After what the victim later described as a two-hour chat, the man attacked her, stabbing her twice in the throat, severing her jugular vein, then tying electrical cord around her neck and binding her hands. The neck ligature saved her life by blocking the flow of blood from the neck wounds. The assailant robbed Cochrane of $60 and three rings.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cochrane’s roommate Gerald Kane found her at 1:15 a.m. when he arrived home from work. The victim was rushed to hospital where she went into a partial coma, but she survived.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On July 11th, police released a composite sketch of the suspect who spent two hours with the victim before viciously attacking her. Cochrane described him as in his early 20s, 5’4” to 5’6”, with light freckles on his face, a full moustache, and medium-brown shoulder-length hair with a reddish tinge.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Suspect:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
CarriCochranesuspect.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]●At 7:55 a.m. on Friday, January 20th, 1989, 34-year-old William Dimitry Patrief was found on the north side of Bethesda Rd. east of Bayview Ave. in Richmond Hill, on the northern outskirts of Toronto. Patrief had massive head injuries. He was rushed to St. Michael’s Hospital in the city but died 36 hours later.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Patrief, single and unemployed, was last seen on the morning of Wednesday the 18th at his brother Tom’s Pickering home, where he had lived for four months. Tom believed his brother was the victim of a grudge going back to his days as the member of a biker gang when he was in his early 20s.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No further information was found.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Victim:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Patrief.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Body dump site:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Patrief2.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]●Early on the frigid morning of Tuesday, December 23rd, 1969, the frozen body of Daniel Linehan, 57, was discovered under a fire escape in a laneway beside 50 Gerrard St. E. He had been beaten and left to die in the cold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Linehan, who was single and lived in an apartment on Victoria Park Ave. with his brother, left a bar at Yonge and Gerrard Sts. at about 8:30 p.m. Monday with a man he had met there. Police believed he was offered a ride home and then accosted by that man and an accomplice, who kicked him viciously and robbed him.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No additional articles were found bespeaking the disposition of this case.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Laneway at 50 Gerrard St. E., where victim was found (has likely changed dramatically in appearance since 1969):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Linehan.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]●Plumbing contractors found the nude body of 47-year-old David John Westwater in his fourth-floor bachelor apartment on Gloucester St. at about noon on Monday, March 1st, 1982. Westwater had been brutally beaten about the face and head, and had sustained a fractured skull. Cause of death was severe internal hemorrhaging, which led to the victim choking to death on his own blood.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Westwater, an unemployed cook who was separated from his wife, had lived in the building for six months and was known to his neighbours as Toby.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No further information.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]●22-year-old Pritam Chohan left his job at Central Bakery on Cawthra Ave. early on Monday, August 1st, 1988. He told his boss he had to go “somewhere far” to take care of some business. He was never seen alive again. His burnt body was found by hikers in some brush off 8th Concession near Claremont Conservation Area north of Pickering on August 11th. Little was left of the body and Chohan could only be identified by jewelry he had been wearing. A manner of death could not be established.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After months of investigation, police had several suspects, but could not build a case because of the uncooperativeness of the East Indian community. Police believed Chohan met his killers at around midnight on Aug. 1st, having been lured into a trap. An anonymous caller phoned his family the next day to say he was dead, and the family continued to receive phone calls for months afterward.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One of the theories police worked with was that Chohan, a peaceable sort, was killed by a radical Sikh group, the Babbar Khalsa, members of which he was trying to expose in letters to the Indian consulate. Another theory was that he may have been killed by one of the men whose wives he was reported to have dated. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The case was still unsolved as of the last newspaper article found.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Victim:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
chohan-1.jpg
[/FONT]

I don't know why this thread was moved here to the "serial killers" section. It was much better off in the Cold Case subforum.

Hey crimesolver , The carrt cochrane attack it doesn't say but from the sketch it looks like the man has something wrong with his one eye is that correct or just a bad copy of the sketh ..BTW what an idiot .Not that it's better if she had died .I just mean on his part .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Metcalflovestruecrime
Back