Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CHIP expired several weeks ago because Congress has not re-authorized it. Covers healthcare for 9 million children.

The end-date of CHIP services may not have been reached yet and Congress could decide to re-authorize before it does. But I doubt new children can be enrolled.

Wow that's such a shame for so many children. Terrible.

In CCs case, I would hope they would still be eligible for medicaid.

A CIA drone was circling a remote valley in northwest Pakistan last month when it picked up an unusual sight: a young woman and children in a militant camp. To intelligence analysts, she appeared to be an American abducted five years earlier while backpacking in Afghanistan with her Canadian husband.
The grainy images were a breakthrough. Military planners mobilized members of the Navy’s SEAL Team 6, an elite group of commandos, to mount a rescue, according to senior U.S. officials. But the operation was called off amid concerns, and days later, the CIA watched in alarm as militants drove the family out of the camp and across Pakistan’s lawless tribal lands.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/10/17/navy-seals-were-in-position-to-move-in-if-pakistan-failed-to-free-hostages.html
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1535294/navy-seals-ready-pakistan-failed-free-family-report/

Drones can’t visualize the inside of buildings, so Caitlan and her children were viewed on the grounds in a militant camp outside of their prison cell.

I really appreciate the information you have found and provided for this thread. This also means that these children have seen the sun while in captivity.

A CIA drone was circling a remote valley in northwest Pakistan last month when it picked up an unusual sight: a young woman and children in a militant camp. To intelligence analysts, she appeared to be an American abducted five years earlier while backpacking in Afghanistan with her Canadian husband.
The grainy images were a breakthrough. Military planners mobilized members of the Navy’s SEAL Team 6, an elite group of commandos, to mount a rescue, according to senior U.S. officials. But the operation was called off amid concerns, and days later, the CIA watched in alarm as militants drove the family out of the camp and across Pakistan’s lawless tribal lands.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/10/17/navy-seals-were-in-position-to-move-in-if-pakistan-failed-to-free-hostages.html
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1535294/navy-seals-ready-pakistan-failed-free-family-report/

Drones can’t visualize the inside of buildings, so Caitlan and her children were viewed on the grounds in a militant camp outside of their prison cell.

Maybe they were getting moved somewhere. They are all very pale, so I don't think they had free roam of the place...

Maybe they were getting moved somewhere. They are all very pale, so I don't think they had free roam of the place...

I don't think they did either, but it would be highly coincidental if the one time that Caitlan and the children were outside just happened to be the time a CIA drone was passing. I have no doubt the family went through hell, but I also suspect that JB is not being honest.

I've also considered his possible motivations for lying -- and, indeed, for talking so indiscriminately about private details, true or false. I honestly can't remember another case in which the victim of a terrible trauma has been so bizarrely indiscreet. So, why is he talking, and giving people tours of the house and pictures of his wife's hospital room? My guess is that, knowing that there may be those suspicious of him, he thinks it serves his interests to play up the gory (and perhaps exaggerated) details of his incarceration.

I wonder if part of what is behind JB's parents statement about his mental health is discrepancies between what he is saying and what the kids are doing and saying. The four year old should be old enough to express himself at least a bit, even if we assume he is delayed because of the restricted world in which he has been living. And the parents would know whether the two year old is really showing the extreme reactions JB is claiming, or if the 5-month old is actually showing signs of trauma.

Caitlin's sensible parents have no rights regarding the children while they are in Canada. Caitlan would temporarily be diagnosed as having a psychological disability (anxiety, depression, PTSD) and would qualify for free medical care. Her children would be covered under CHIP insurance. Her spiritual care could be provided by her family's priest.

I think CHIP was not refunded

Wow that's such a shame for so many children. Terrible.

In CCs case, I would hope they would still be eligible for medicaid.

I think there would be residency requirements

Since she has no income she would quality for free healthcare. Not to mention even if she didn’t, I am sure there are plenty of charities who would cover costs of her care. People here in the US are very sympathetic to victims of terrorism in my experience.

I think it could be a , but health care is very expensive

From 2012 and 2013 articles, Josh's family made it appear that Caitlan and Josh couldn't reside together because of their nationalities, so they had to travel to other countries to be together. This is only logical while they were dating not while married, but it's what his family told the press. If they weren't living together in Canada after marriage, she is still a PA resident. Read the earliest posts on this thread where their odd residency issues were discussed.

From 2012 and 2013 articles, Josh's family made it appear that Caitlan and Josh couldn't reside together because of their nationalities, so they had to travel to other countries to be together. This is only logical while they were dating not while married, but it's what his family told the press. If they weren't living together in Canada after marriage, she is still a PA resident. Read the earliest posts on this thread where their odd residency issues were discussed.

Yes I do believe she is a PA resident and a US citizen. Which is why the US worked to get them out of captivity.

Social Security Number (SSN) -- A SSN must be provided for each person applying for Medical Assistance. County Assistance Office staff will help you apply for an SSN for anyone who does not have one.

Residency -- Medical Assistance is available to individuals who are residents of Pennsylvania if all other eligibility requirements are met. There is no requirement regarding the length of time that a person must live in Pennsylvania.

Citizenship -- Medical Assistance is available to United States citizens, refugees and certain lawfully admitted aliens. Other aliens may be eligible for limited Medical Assistance benefits if an emergency medical condition exists. U.S. citizens, refugees and legal aliens must submit documentation proving U.S. citizenship or legal alien status.

http://www.dhs.pa.gov/citizens/heal...icalassistancegeneraleligibilityrequirements/

How long does the state have to process an application for Medical Assistance?

Normally, thirty days. This timeframe is shortened to five days when an applicant has an “urgent medical need.” Practitioners can help their patients by writing a short note on letterhead or prescription pad listing the patient’s diagnosis and stating that the patient has an “urgent medical need.”

The patient is an immigrant with an emergency medical condition who is not eligible for full MA due to immigrant status.

The physician must write a letter in order for the patient to obtain medical assistance emergency coverage. Click here for a template for a letter (.doc).

http://www.phlp.org/home-page/provi...l-assistance-in-pa-frequently-asked-questions

I think CC and the kids would be fine. FWIW it seems like PAs govt assistance programs are actually pretty decent.

She is in a hospital in Ontario, Canada - not to worry the Canadian government is looking after her! We are one of the highest taxed country in the world. Someone up thread said we are 'nice', I would like to add that there is a difference between nice and stupid.....

http://refugee.cleo.on.ca/en/health-care-refugee-claimants

I have no doubt she’s being taken care of in Canada in terms of healthcare. I personally am just hoping she comes back to the US with the kids. It has nothing to do with healthcare for me. I am just stating that she would very likely be fine in terms of getting proper healthcare if she comes back. I’m hoping she comes back for her and the kids sake, to get away from JB. I think it’s very possible she’s brainwashed by him and coming to the US would be her only way to truly get away from his grasp, considering he’s worried he will be arrested if he comes here.

highly unlikely she would've gotten any regardless
these hostages live in barren rooms in shacks or even underground holes
the captors themselves live well below a standard we would consider adequate
if there are luxuries like a piece of fruit or something, it goes to the kidnapper
when the families try to negotiate by sending care pkgs. the captors usually steal most of the items
prenatal care does not exist except possibly in the form of some vitamins that came in a care pkg.

So that would mean she received no prenatal medical care during her pregnancy. Wow.

if the goal is to have ten or twelve children, then the clock was indeed ticking
I felt like my clock was ticking when I was 25 and the feeling never left over the next ten years

Yes, she is all of 31 years old today, and he is attempting to explain five pregnancies between the ages of 26 and 31 with "she's in her thirties", and "clock was ticking". That's complete nonsense.

I think it's disgusting to state that while they were kidnapping victims for five years they had a lot of time on their hands so they filled it with sex. What about raising the three children, teaching them, making games, telling stories, and all the so much more important things they should be doing with all that time?

I hope she can get away from him too.

I have no doubt she’s being taken care of in Canada in terms of healthcare. I personally am just hoping she comes back to the US with the kids. It has nothing to do with healthcare for me. I am just stating that she would very likely be fine in terms of getting proper healthcare if she comes back. I’m hoping she comes back for her and the kids sake, to get away from JB. I think it’s very possible she’s brainwashed by him and coming to the US would be her only way to truly get away from his grasp, considering he’s worried he will be arrested if he comes here.

highly unlikely she would've gotten any regardless
these hostages live in barren rooms in shacks or even underground holes
the captors themselves live well below a standard we would consider adequate
if there are luxuries like a piece of fruit or something, it goes to the kidnapper
when the families try to negotiate by sending care pkgs. the captors usually steal most of the items
prenatal care does not exist except possibly in the form of some vitamins that came in a care pkg.

I'm really amazed that she even survived four pregnancies, and that three of her children are physically (seemingly) healthy. Maybe the children were treated better by the captors, or maybe the parents always gave them the best parts of the meals they got. Both the parents looked white as a sheet, with dark circles around the eyes, in the photos after their release. They probably have several severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies and are possibly anemic. The last two pregnancies must have been especially weakening for her. At the moment she might simply be too weak and worn out to think about anything much, or make any major decisions, and just wants to eat, sleep, rest, relax ... etc. He is of course physically in better shape because he did not grow four other human beings inside of him.

So I'd say, let's give her some time to get physically better first.

I will have to go back and reread the residency issues posts.
Not sure if Josh applied to sponsor his wife to become a Permanent Resident in Canada?

Very Brief info,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#eligibilitySpouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

he or she is at least 18 years old
your relationship is genuine (real) and wasn’t entered into just to get permanent resident status in Canada
If your spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, he or she must co-habit (live) with you in Canada.

You can become a sponsor if you are:

a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident,
at least 18 years old
living in Canada:
if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.

able to show that you can provide basic needs for:
yourself,
your spouse or partner,
your spouse or partner’s dependent children (if applicable)
your dependent child (if you’re sponsoring only your dependent child).

Does your spouse or partner want to work while they are living in Canada and waiting for their application to be processed?
If you’re sponsoring your spouse or partner under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada Class, they may be eligible for an Open Work Permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member